• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data Sales of Splatoon 3 in Japan surpass 3.45 million in first three days, biggest launch week ever in Japan

mazi

picross pundit
Nintendo Co., Ltd. (HQ: Kyoto, Minami-ku, Japan; Representative Director and President: Shuntaro Furukawa) announced that domestic sales of the Splatoon 3 game for the Nintendo Switch system have surpassed 3.45 million units* in the first three days since its launch on September 9, 2022. This is the highest domestic sales level for any Nintendo Switch software within the first three days.

Domestic = Japan only before we inevitably get confused replies.

This is an incredible performance; one of the biggest opening weekend performances ever in the industry.

Huh? But I thought Splatoon only appealed to Splatoon fans, and would do much better if it went free to play!

More seriously, these are amazing numbers. Happy to see a great game sell this well, especially from a newer Nintendo franchise like Splatoon.

3.45 million sell-through, copies that actually have reached end-users(copies shipped and still sitting on retailer shelves not counted). I never doubted the potential of Splatoon! Now we wait for the global numbers and first week retail number in JP.

This is an incredible performance; one of the biggest opening weekend performances ever in the industry.

That's a great way to describe this launch. This game outsold the launch of ACNH which had everything going for it particularly the increase in video game sales that the entire industry benefitted from during lockdown.

I always get surprised and amazed at how popular Splatoon is in Japan and this takes that amazement to another level, Splatoon might very well be (or already has been for a while now) a staple in Japan's video game culture.

Damn that insane. But I expect Japan to carry the majority of sales as this is not gonna do as great in the west, at most ok-ish.

Nintendo's big five are Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and Splatoon. I will not be taking questions at this time.

Absolutely and Nintendo has been very clear about that messaging as well. This is a screenshot I took showing the "Character" tab in Nintendo's JP website.

unknown.png

Nintendo's big five are Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and Splatoon. I will not be taking questions at this time.

Even though it’s a crossover series I would include Smash as well, and I guess being very specific Mario Kart is kinda it’s own beast as well.

so according to install base this is apparently the biggest launch sales in japan, period. not just for switch games.

An argument could be made about Mario Kart and Smash Bros.
I included Mario Kart with Mario, and Smash Bros is more of a crossover game rather than it's own franchise. If we're doing individual stuff, it's probably 2D Mario, Pokemon, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and Animal Crossing.

That's a great way to describe this launch. This game outsold the launch of ACNH which had everything going for it particularly the increase in video game sales that the entire industry benefitted from during lockdown.
Right. I thought ACNH was sort of a perfect storm: the exact right game at the right time with lockdown. But I guess this was an even perfecter storm (likely also benefitting from the expanded audience that ACNH brought to the system).

It’s truly hard to imagine any game having a bigger opening. At least not anytime soon.

EPD 5 employees arriving at Nintendo HQ in golden Lamborghinis at this point

Did anybody anticipate this? I knew it was big, but this is demented.
I remember there being a tweet about preorders in France which had Splatoon 3 at a crazy high amount. Furthermore, there's a bigger install base now compared to 2's launch. This matters especially with games like Splatoon where people will feel like they have missed out on the game after updates stop. So this is the perfect opportunity to get in for everyone who was interested, but didn't feel like jumping into a 'dead' game. Expectations were also dampened, because a lot of haters downplaying it as unnecessary on the Internet

I hope this sells a lot everywhere, while I think it could have evolved a little more from 2 the amount of qol changes have made this perhaps the best shooter on the market. I have 3 family members that wouldn't have gotten this game had it been just as restrictive as s2, so those sweet qol changes just sold em 3 extra copies.

This number is crazy good for Splatoon 3.

3.45 million in Japan domestic sales alone less than a full week of data worth. Not including WW…

I can see it doing at least 5 to 6 million already including international numbers

Insane, but totally expected.

I hope this gives Japanese hw sales a nice bump. Like around 300k.

I said this on Install Base but Splatoon 2 has sold 5.11m in Japan, meaning Splatoon 3 sold 67% of the second game’s total sales in just a few days.

Congratulations (MK64 congrats voice)

Just wait until they add the Ultra Switch’s 4K Deluxe version to these numbers next year.
yeah, not to mention new update every 3 months for the next 2 years, and the big-scale DLC. Splatoon 3 will have legs for YEARS. I can see it selling over 10m in Japan alone.

Hisashi Nogami:

Co directed Animal Crossing
Co developed the Mii Channel
Head of development for Splatoon

iu

God damn, I know Splatoon is big in Japan but that is absolutely bonkers. Amazing how so many developers have struggled to create IP’s in the last decade that appeal to the Japanese market, and yet here Nintendo is with this juggernaut that started on the Wii U of all things.

Back
Top Bottom