• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data Sales of Splatoon 3 in Japan surpass 3.45 million in first three days, biggest launch week ever in Japan

Neat. Hopefully this will prompt them to be more ambitious with the story mode, the one in Splatoon 3 is a slight upgrade from the previous entries but there's still a lot of room to improve. Hopefully this will be seen in the DLC or maybe even an spinoff that explores the world (with better controls because Splatoon's platforming is crap).

Last edited:
Hot damn. Bigger launch than Pokémon, Animal Crossing, or Dragon Quest? 🤩

Anectodtally, the NPD numbers might be quite good too for the US. Bought a copy at Target yesterday and the clerk said “it’s been flying off the shelves today”. Several of the local stores were sold out as well.

The next quarterly earnings are going to be very fun I expect.
I'm predicting 11 million as of September 30th in the FYQ2 earnings report. By December 31st it might have already past Splatoon 2.

Absolutely insane that it outsold Pokémon, Animal Crossing or other massive games' launch sales so largely and quickly in Japan that usually take the gaming market by storm over there.

Big win for Nintendo. Wow. Didn't think anything other than Pokémon could outdo Animal Crossing.

My favourite new IP and favourite multiplayer game of the last decade. You love to see it.

I’m on holidays right now but can’t wait to get home and play this thing.

I already expected amazing sales and record breaking but becoming the fastest selling game ever in Japan is quite a new level.
Incredible results. Talent won. Congratulations to the developers!!

Not only Splatoon 3 is the biggest Nintendo Switch software launch in Japan but it's also the biggest ever in Japan for any platforms !

Japan Top 10 Launch week :

1. Splatoon 3 - SW - 3.45m
2. Pokemon B/W - DS - 2.63m
3. Final Fantasy 8 - PS1 - 2.50m
4. Animal Crossing NH - SW - 2.50m
5. Dragon Quest 9 - DS - 2.34m
6. Dragon Quest 8 - PS2 - 2.23m
7. Monster Hunter Freedom 3 - PSP - 2.14m
8. Pokemon X/Y - 3DS - 2.09m
9. Final Fantasy 7 - PS1 - 2.03m
10. Final Fantasy 9 - PS1 - 1.95m

Sales data are from Famitsu (Splatoon 3 and ACNH physical + digital sales)

Last edited:
Nintendo's big five are Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and Splatoon. I will not be taking questions at this time.
We knew this when Splatoon was one of the Franchises on Display in the japanese Nintendo World Store tbh. I can't believe someone questioned this.

I saw that number and immediately thought worldwide. I glanced again, and it was only in Japan.

People were saying how gaming is dying in Japan and that Splatoon had no chance of eclipsing it's predecessors success. I think it will absolutely rinse it.

I saw that number and immediately thought worldwide. I glanced again, and it was only in Japan.

People were saying how gaming is dying in Japan and that Splatoon had no chance of eclipsing it's predecessors success. I think it will absolutely rinse it.
Gaming in stationary platforms is (kinda) dying, gaming in general in Japan is probably the healthiest it's ever been.

I had the same thought
I red the tweet and I thought "that's a good debut but nothing special worldwide" then I red it again and saw that it was japan only and wow this series is truly insane.
Congrats to everyone who worked on this games because they created something special.

Man, remember when the first one was revealed and people were like "500,000 copies lifetime at best"? Yeah...

I had the same thought
I red the tweet and I thought "that's a good debut but nothing special worldwide" then I red it again and saw that it was japan only and wow this series is truly insane.
Congrats to everyone who worked on this games because they created something special.
Pretty good for paid DLC innit?

the only people saying that are people who purposely exclude handhelds and mobile because they're not big boy consoles that make them feel important

I never had any doubt this game would outsell Splatoon 2. With the first 3 days figure in Japan only I'm now pretty sure it's gonna outsell 2 by the end of this FY, or earlier.

But it doesn't have new modes and single player isn't 30 hours long! Why are people buying it, don't they know that it's not good enough!? Seriously though, it's a great game and I knew the series was big in Japan, but I didn't know it was that big. Those are some inkcredible numbers.

So since Squid Beatz is not in Splatoon 3, that means Nintendo is making a full fledged Splatoon rhythm game spinoff, right? They better be!

I'm posting this here on Fami too because this is truly exceptional. Splatoon 3 entered the top 50 in 3 days.

Top console games ranked on LTD unit sales in Japan (floor: 3 million units)
DYupWSQ.png

Systems
NSW - 13
NDS - 11
3DS - 8
GMB - 5
Wii - 5
FCM - 4
SFC - 4
PS1 - 3
PSP - 2
GBA - 2
PS2 - 2
PS4 - 1

Publishers
Nintendo (incl. The Pokémon Company) - 42
Square Enix (incl. Square, Enix) - 9
Capcom - 6
Konami - 1
Level-5 - 1
Microsoft Game Studios - 1

Series
Pokémon - 15
Super Mario - 6
Monster Hunter - 6
Dragon Quest - 6
Mario Kart - 5
Animal Crossing - 3
Final Fantasy - 3
Splatoon - 2
Brain Age - 2
Wii Sports - 2
Super Smash Bros. - 1
Tetris - 1
Tomodachi Collection - 1
Ring Fit Adventure - 1
Wii Fit - 1
Momotaro Dentetsu - 1
Yo-kai Watch - 1
Minecraft - 1
The Legend of Zelda - 1
Donkey Kong - 1

Decades
1980s - 5
1990s - 10
2000s - 20
2010s - 19
2020s - 6

Pokémon Sword/Shield - explained here , the Expansion Pass SKU which sold ~200k units according to Famitsu estimates is not included in Nintendo's official shipment data

Monster Hunter Freedom 3 , Monster Hunter Freedom Unite - explained by Chris here

Monster Hunter Rise - the game sold 7,7 million units globally by December 2021 and David Gibson repeatedly reported that domestic sales represented at least 50% of its global sales ( 1 , 2 , 3 )

Monster Hunter: World - explained here , the Master Edition which sold >560k units according to Media Create estimates is not included in Capcom's leaked shipment data

Minecraft - this is the most difficult one to estimate due to the complete lack of official figures, the best we can get is boundaries for its 2018-2021 eShop sales + a guesstimate of its 2017 eShop sales + Media Create's physical estimate. 1m seems to be a good ballpark for its eShop sales as of December 2021 and by then Media Create had the game at 2.281.023 units LTD, since this is a rough estimate I rounded the total to 3,3m.

Yo-kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits/Fleshy Souls - Level-5's official shipment data for Yo-kai Watch 2 includes the upgraded version Psychic Specters, so I used the same split found in Media Create estimates:
Bony Spirits/Fleshy Souls (via Media Create) - 3.188.989 (54,50%)
Psychic Specters (via Media Create) - 2.662.103 (45,50%)
Bony Spirits/Fleshy Souls/Psychic Specters (via Level-5) - 6.170.000 -> 54,50% of that is ~3.360.000

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom