• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

MfhOMeV.jpeg

Match made in heaven. Only Alola could be more fitting.

^ I wish the circle pad on my 3DS wasn't prone to drifting, otherwise I'd be right there with you doing a Summer Hoenn run!

(DRPG talk) I've certainly let my own DRPG backlog balloon up...

0o88Te5.jpeg

Look at all those seals reflecting in the light... Yeah...

(I have played Etrain 1, still have 2 and 3 to do though)

I know the Labyrinths and Etrian 3 are the best here (and Moero would prob be the last I play out of the bunch lmao, though I'm aware NintendoLife really liked that one. I did enjoy the Mary Skelter series also from Compile Heart.)

So the Trails of Cold Steel Northern War gacha game is out…I won’t be playing it.

The translation here is halfway a joke. The cutscene text and some of the menus are fine, but the pop up text is hilariously miserable. It feels like they just ran it through Google translate and just said “ship it!” Here is some real text:

“Continue training, defeat remaining Demon Beasts. Tap “Begin”” - which is funny because the cutscene text refers to enemies as monsters. Also this is supposed to be a character saying the line and no one talks like that lol. A lot of the text is like this. Another favorite is “Continue defeating by tapping Begin!”

“After confirming your birth, you can tap “Claim Reward” to receive your reward!” - this is on a screen where you can read character bios and you get items for reading about your members. Where does “After confirming your birth” fit into that?? And no, there is no birthday information lol.

“Get the SSR Heroes
Clear Chapter 4.
Captain of Iron Calvary
Speed Du Barry JOINED!”

Ok they didn’t get Stahlritter right, fine whatever, but Speed Du Barry instead of Duvalie the Swift?? On your big banner in the tutorial?? You could just google this if you had to lol. What a mess haha!

So yeah the translation is poor, well the actual game isn’t great either. It’s a full on autobattler with the only interactivity being click on portraits when they glow to unleash S-Crafts / Limit Breaks which is so very meh. I know some people like autobattlers, but they are not for me.

But say you did still want to put up with it, the game crashed five(!) times during the tutorial (including during a cutscene which it then wouldn’t let me rewatch) and the whole thing in general feels like it is being held together by duct tape. I put my phone to sleep when real life called and when I opened it up again I got hit with a big “loading” message for the cutscene I paused which for a phone game, isn’t great! After I pulled Laura and Fie in the gacha immediately on my first try (my gacha luck is absolutely unreal lol) I quit out. No thanks! Definitely a huge disappointment here as a Trails fan.

So the Trails of Cold Steel Northern War gacha game is out…I won’t be playing it.

The translation here is halfway a joke. The cutscene text and some of the menus are fine, but the pop up text is hilariously miserable. It feels like they just ran it through Google translate and just said “ship it!” Here is some real text:

“Continue training, defeat remaining Demon Beasts. Tap “Begin”” - which is funny because the cutscene text refers to enemies as monsters. Also this is supposed to be a character saying the line and no one talks like that lol. A lot of the text is like this. Another favorite is “Continue defeating by tapping Begin!”

“After confirming your birth, you can tap “Claim Reward” to receive your reward!” - this is on a screen where you can read character bios and you get items for reading about your members. Where does “After confirming your birth” fit into that?? And no, there is no birthday information lol.

“Get the SSR Heroes
Clear Chapter 4.
Captain of Iron Calvary
Speed Du Barry JOINED!”

Ok they didn’t get Stahlritter right, fine whatever, but Speed Du Barry instead of Duvalie the Swift?? On your big banner in the tutorial?? You could just google this if you had to lol. What a mess haha!

So yeah the translation is poor, well the actual game isn’t great either. It’s a full on autobattler with the only interactivity being click on portraits when they glow to unleash S-Crafts / Limit Breaks which is so very meh. I know some people like autobattlers, but they are not for me.

But say you did still want to put up with it, the game crashed five(!) times during the tutorial (including during a cutscene which it then wouldn’t let me rewatch) and the whole thing in general feels like it is being held together by duct tape. I put my phone to sleep when real life called and when I opened it up again I got hit with a big “loading” message for the cutscene I paused which for a phone game, isn’t great! After I pulled Laura and Fie in the gacha immediately on my first try (my gacha luck is absolutely unreal lol) I quit out. No thanks! Definitely a huge disappointment here as a Trails fan.
Looks machine translated without a Post-Editor, meaning garbage plus garbage.

(DRPG talk) I've certainly let my own DRPG backlog balloon up...

0o88Te5.jpeg

Look at all those seals reflecting in the light... Yeah...

(I have played Etrain 1, still have 2 and 3 to do though)

I know the Labyrinths and Etrian 3 are the best here (and Moero would prob be the last I play out of the bunch lmao, though I'm aware NintendoLife really liked that one. I did enjoy the Mary Skelter series also from Compile Heart.)
To me Moero Crystal has better dungeon designs than Demon Gaze, and I had more fun with it

Speed Du Barry
Not gonna lie, this a bonafide Gundam Name™

In case anyone is interested in dungeon crawlers, both Game Collection and Amazon UK have Labyrinth of Zangetsu on sale for £11

Catching up on news today, I’m excited NISA uploaded the opening movie earlier today for Trails Through Daybreak. We are getting so close! Lot of characters I love are returning which is always exciting. Especially hyped for Zin (it’s been so long!), Fie, and Renne.

Also there will be a demo on June 4th and your save data will transfer to the full game. Probably just going to wait for the full release myself.

Finished up Baroque Original Version on Switch!

fLaXg1P.jpeg

Super addicting and I'll likely even leave it installed just to do some runs to kill time here and there.

I found the game pretty easy-ish and forgiving, the main thing is to hold your curiosity on boxes and bones, cuz they can blow up or give you status effects etc. (Sometimes it pays off, and I found boxes blowing up was kinda rare). I guess it all comes down to the RNG/luck of your runs. Most runs I found full heal/VT items pretty regularly though.

My final run was really fun, I found a lot of ATK boost items early on and had a double swing upgrade from the near get go (I was also upgrading a weapon through many runs and inheriting it to the next run), so I was just running around taking out everything pretty easily.

At first I thought I wasn't gonna use the item throwing mechanic much but, A. It is vital, B. It is really fun to just hurl shit at monsters. Especially when you got a stockpile of explosive bones lol. Any junk item I had, that was getting tossed in a monster's face.

Of course, I did have to use guides to figure out -how- to beat the game. I can read Japanese decently but the game itself is still pretty vague. I think the game does prod you in the right direction if you keep doing runs though.

Well worth the last minute impulse purchase!

The Japanese version of my favorite mobile RPG ever, Magia Record, is shutting down in July. Curious where that will leave the fan translation as I don’t follow it too closely (I only even learned about it late last year), but I do check their Youtube channel regularly. They actually just finished Puella Historia which was essentially Arc 3 for the game, but they still had 20 hours of voiced cutscenes of Arc 2 left plus 3-4 hours of Another Story. They never got to Scene 0, Arc 4 essentially, either.

I have a bunch to watch still between main story chapters, events, and character stories, and if it does just become unfinished, I’ll always be grateful I got to experience what I did through it. They really did a terrific job and went above and beyond to pick up right off where the official English version ended.

Last edited:
I was thinking, will we finally get a new Tales game on the Switch 2? The last time a new Tales game was released on a Nintendo console was Tales of Graces for the Wii.

I did something I haven’t done in a long while; I abandoned a game. On the cusp of completing it.

Atelier Ryza 3 has one hell of a bullshit final boss; I upgraded my armour, to 999 quality and I still get oneshotted by the final boss. Really sours the experience. I thought Ryza 3 is fine, nice game, bit too easy overall and too reliant on resource gathering.

So playing Paper Mario TTYD on Switch and Persona 4 Golden. The latter I played on PC, but I really wanted it on console as well. Never completed the true ending, so I’m curious to play it again.

Last edited:
Man, i'm so close to recruit everyone in Eiyuden (i even completed the whole beigoma sidequest) but i just discovered that to recruit the character tied to the cooking contest i have to complete SIXTEEN of them, and 15 minutes of ingame time have to pass to trigger the next one...

On to the ending i guess 😢

Man, i'm so close to recruit everyone in Eiyuden (i even completed the whole beigoma sidequest) but i just discovered that to recruit the character tied to the cooking contest i have to complete SIXTEEN of them, and 15 minutes of ingame time have to pass to trigger the next one...

On to the ending i guess 😢
SIXTEEN!? Holy cow. I've done like... 6? Maybe? And I thought I might be getting toward the end! Wow.

SIXTEEN!? Holy cow. I've done like... 6? Maybe? And I thought I might be getting toward the end! Wow.
It's clearly intended to be done throughout the whole game, but i just unlocked the quest in the last act of the game because i didn't talk to the first challenger thinking he was just a random NPC lmao

This is probably even worse than beigoma, considering that whole questline can be completed in an hour and half (which is what it took me) once you get your hands on a bunch of 3 stars beigomas...16 contests + cutscenes and 15 minutes of waiting time is hours of content that i'm absolutely not willing to do at this point of the game.

To those who have played the remake of Trials of Mana: does it stay mostly focused on mechanics / battle gameplay and exploration? Some may remember that I posted a while ago about how I picked the game up again and didn’t remember why I dropped it in the first place. Well, 4-5h in and I think I remember why, but I’d like to hear from you if there’s any substantial development re: story and especially characters?! Because that part of the game currently falls a bit flat for me and I’m growing tired of the battle system already, tbf. If there’s more meat to characters especially, I’d be way more likely to keep going. Otherwise I’ll focus entirely on Xeno 3 and Valkyrie Elysium for now.

To those who have played the remake of Trials of Mana: does it stay mostly focused on mechanics / battle gameplay and exploration? Some may remember that I posted a while ago about how I picked the game up again and didn’t remember why I dropped it in the first place. Well, 4-5h in and I think I remember why, but I’d like to hear from you if there’s any substantial development re: story and especially characters?! Because that part of the game currently falls a bit flat for me and I’m growing tired of the battle system already, tbf. If there’s more meat to characters especially, I’d be way more likely to keep going. Otherwise I’ll focus entirely on Xeno 3 and Valkyrie Elysium for now.
I think the problem is that the intricacies of the party’s themes and connections etc is only really something that becomes apparent over multiple playthroughs, choosing a different lead and support characters each time. There really isn’t anything particularly deep there.

I often find this with games that expect me to play through several times, something I did a lot when rpgs tended to be shorter (not that Trials is particularly long), when I had more free time but mostly when I thought the first run was particularly engaging. Unfortunately Trials didn’t hit that spot for me. I enjoyed the combat, and enjoyed the game enough to finish my first playthrough, but it was also pretty forgettable in the grand tableau of rpgs on Switch IMO.

I’m getting back into Elden Ring with a new character and I forgot just how different the early game feels, and how long it takes to get access to Roundtable Hold. Limgrave feels so quaint and simple compared to the places you go later.

In RPG news, Experience had a stream in their channel and confirmed they are actually working in a 2d top view RPG with hack and slash elements (whatever the hell that means, they didn't mention any details other than "it's not a 3d dungeon rpg", and they did call to "like Dragon Quest" and there's even a bar where you recruit yout party), and they got Himukai for the character art. I'm guessing is going to be more like an action rpg based on that description

NGV2sG0.png

Ah, this brings back memories. Thinking I had prepared enough and was all ready, and then getting reminded to Put my Foolish Ambitions to Rest. Good times.

In RPG news, Experience had a stream in their channel and confirmed they are actually working in a 2d top view RPG with hack and slash elements (whatever the hell that means, they didn't mention any details other than "it's not a 3d dungeon rpg", and they did call to "like Dragon Quest" and there's even a bar where you recruit yout party), and they got Himukai for the character art. I'm guessing is going to be more like an action rpg based on that description

NGV2sG0.png
Looking at that art... man I hope Etrian Odyssey VI is a Switch 2 launch year game

NGV2sG0.png
Experience getting the EO artist feels wild to me. Like my two favourite bunches of dungeon crawls meshing together while coming up with something else.

Been a long time as most of my RPG playing this year has been new games with STs I’ve been supporting, but I just started a new RPG that I’ll be discussing in this thread. I’m finally starting to dive into my PS3 backlog of 40 games which is primarily RPGs (whoops) with Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World! Over a decade ago, I picked up the Tales of Symphonia collection on PS3 and I thought I’d be playing the sequel I skipped on Wii that way before long. Unfortunately, the PS3 version of Symphonia was abysmal and I just put off replaying it at that point. Back in December I finally did replay Symphonia as part of my GameCube replay project so I knew I’d be tackling Dawn of the New World before long.

Now here we are! I’ve always heard mixed things about this sequel, but I’m excited to see it for myself. Tonight I started and finished chapter 1 which sets up the journey ahead. Chapter 1 honestly didn’t make the best first impression. The opening cutscene chops up the opening cutscenes to make them cryptic and while I’m intrigued, I don’t feel this was too well done perhaps as it did it for too many events. I’m playing with the English dub and perhaps this is going on to an extent so don’t tell me, but I thought the Lloyd in the opening was an impersonator due to the difference in voice. He showed up again later and I’m not sure if it was the same voice or a different one, but I was thrown off guard since it appears he does have a different English voice actor in the game? I assume he’ll pop up more going forward and I’ll get some clear answers, but yeah that was definitely extra confusing lol.

But more concerning…Emil…I don’t care for this guy so far and he’s the new main character lol. Just a disaster of a person currently haha. I feel like they made him so over the top pathetic to have an excuse to give a heavy handed tutorial which is odd since the original Symphonia really just threw you into it. One more story thing to note I have mixed feelings on so far is the infamous line “Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.” I knew people latched onto this line, but I wasn’t prepared for how often it was said and flashbacked to in the span of two hours lol. It’s like, these scenes just happened, I feel there was a better way to convey this line constantly and so heavily weighed on Emil’s mind lol. Also, wow what a line, and I never would have guessed the character who introduced it would be so comically gruff lol.

Anyway, I’m through the tutorial, I have my team, I have two monsters on my side which is the big new thing here, and I’m ready to start the adventure. I’m a little bummed there is no world map, but otherwise yeah hopefully things will pick up from here. I’m currently juggling this with Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door, but I should be wrapping up that game very soon and this will become my primary focus. While it was a rough start, the original Tales of Symphonia was time and place one of my favorite RPGs ever so I’m excited to see where the story will go!

Very quickly one last separate thing entirely, I posted two days ago about Magia Record fully shutting down and I was wondering where that would leave the fan translation. I’m very happy they have vowed to fully translate every single story in the game no matter how long it takes. Really glad I’ll one day be able to fully see the entire story of my absolute favorite mobile RPG!

Even as a massive Symphonia fan I never tried out Dawn of the New World. I know it has some defenders to go along with the backlash, but I just never was all that interested in it. Symphonia ended on a really good note IMO - it didn't need anything more.

Finished PMTTYD, that final battle was something. But finally I can mark it as completed after I left it in the backlog years ago

Does anyone have any good RPG or JRPG recommendations for the Switch, since I’ve completed all of the Xenoblade trilogy, so I’ve been itching for something.

Also no dragon quest, since I’m waiting for my physical copy that I found on a good price.
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE? .Hack GU collection goes on sale often and the Baten Kaitos duology as well.

Does anyone have any good RPG or JRPG recommendations for the Switch, since I’ve completed all of the Xenoblade trilogy, so I’ve been itching for something.

Also no dragon quest, since I’m waiting for my physical copy that I found on a good price.
You’re in the right thread!

I ran a poll on that exact question last spring, with some fun mini reviews by the community, it’s a good read if you want a condensed look at Fami’s thoughts on rpgs last year. Results were here-

My personal recommendations would be-
Octopath Traveller II (easily one of the most well-rounded rpgs on the system)
Rise of the Third Power
Chained Echoes
SMTV (the upcoming vengeance route looks ace too)
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Monster Hunter Stories 2

You’re in the right thread!

I ran a poll on that exact question last spring, with some fun mini reviews by the community, results were here-

My personal recommendations would be-
Octopath Traveller II (easily one of the most well-rounded rpgs on the system)
Rise of the Third Power
Chained Echoes
SMTV (the upcoming vengeance route looks ace too)
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Thanks mate.

NGV2sG0.png
I first became aware of this when Experience commented on it for their 2024 ambition goals for on New Year's... Extremely excited. I still have many Etrian games to chew through but I've been waiting for a brand new one too. Though this sounds different gameplay wise, the aesthetic is peak enough to make me hyped to play it.

Now for a personal note I threw all those Switch DRPGs to the side in favor of playing this as I got it running on my Steam Deck. DT1 completely enamored me so I'm excited to lose 100+ hours again! 😂

s1UmQF8.jpeg

I first became aware of this when Experience commented on it for their 2024 ambition goals for on New Year's... Extremely excited. I still have many Etrian games to chew through but I've been waiting for a brand new one too. Though this sounds different gameplay wise, the aesthetic is peak enough to make me hyped to play it.

Now for a personal note I threw all those Switch DRPGs to the side in favor of playing this as I got it running on my Steam Deck. DT1 completely enamored me so I'm excited to lose 100+ hours again! 😂

s1UmQF8.jpeg
Good times with DT2, I pretty much bought a vita tv to play this one (and the neptunia remakes). The postgame dungeons were brutal

My number 1 post-Xenoblade recommendation is Crosscode. Hits a lot of the same itches, though the actual game is more inspired by dotHack and Terranigma. If you want proper made-in-Japan JRPGs, Star Ocean 2 and Octopath 2 are both fantastic. The Trails Into Zero/Azure duology are great too. This Way Madness Lies and Cosmic Star Heroine are both Japanese RPG inspired games that still manage to do their own cool thing.

This Way Madness Lies and Cosmic Star Heroine are both Japanese RPG inspired games that still manage to do their own cool thing.
Also people shouldn't miss Chtulhu saves christmas from the same dev, with it's own persona social links (called R'lyehtionships)

If you're okay with more old-school style 2D stuff I can highly recommend Sea of Stars

I’ll recommend a few. I’m a huge Trails fan, so if you haven’t played the series before Trails From Zero is the best place to start on Switch (and second best overall). Really awesome, classic turn based RPG with great characters and a fun setting. Also want to recommend Neo The World Ends With You. It’s like 80% new characters and the story is mostly about them so it’s fairly newcomer friendly. The action combat and managing all of the systems is a ton of fun and the music rocks. Also want to give a shoutout to CrossCode which is sort of Zelda meets Ys. Very substantial experience with a great story. A few others I’ll give quick shoutouts to: Final Fantasy XII (another offline MMORPG like Xenoblade), Octopath Traveler II, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, and Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door.

I started Final Fantasy XVI yesterday. I was slightly worried about getting Final Fantasy fatigue after spending a ton of time on Rebirth earlier this year, but I quickly found out that they are very different games. Rebirth is an adventure with friends that gets pretty goofy sometimes, and XVI is... serious. I've never watched Game of Thrones, but this is kind of what I imagine it would be like. I guess it's rated M in the US for a reason!

I really like what I've played so far. The combat works well enough for me. While there is a lot of lore to digest, the game does a good job of making all that information readily available if you need to review. And man, the graphics and cutscenes... I don't normally pay too much attention to these things, but this game is a spectacle! I haven't played many games that are exclusive to the newest generation hardware, so FF XVI's presentation has blown me away so far.

I don't have much going on this month with other games, so I look forward to working through FF XVI before Trails Through Daybreak comes out next month.

This made me laugh yesterday. I feel this regularly lol.

It's an awful feeling.

Sure there's probably just a chest full of potions back there but if I don't check this time it'll end up being one of the cast's ultimate weapons.

I started Get In the Car, Loser! tonight as 1) it's been in my backlog for since release (3 years and change) 2) I've yet to play anything by Christine Love even though I've been interested in trying their games for years 3) It's got extra summer vibes and 4) It's Pride Month and hey we've got a contest going on here to celebrate. So this is ticking a bunch of checkboxes for me personally and I couldn't ask for a better moment to finally give it a go I think. Sometimes you just gotta go with things when the stars align.

I'm about 30 minutes in and it's got some solid potential. Combat system is basically a mashup of Final Fantasy XIII's paradigm and stagger systems with (I think, but don't quote me since I haven't played them) Star Ocean/Tales/Valkyria Chronicles where each character is assigned a face button you push to do their thing. It's taking some getting used to (also not helped by the XBox controller layout doing bad things to my brain) but I'm picking up on what it's laying down. Writing so far is amusing and fairly light in the face of some outright hostility you encounter right out of the gate.

Only complaint so far is that the tutorial is fairly heavy-handed and overexplaining everything but I think that's allowed given this is not the developer's usual fare and they clearly didn't want to overwhelm their fans coming from the VN genre. There's even difficulty options that allow people to tune the combat and all that jazz which is awesome to see.

HLTB has it at about 10-15 hours to beat which is perfect for me right now. Will report back, but has anyone else given this a go?

This made me laugh yesterday. I feel this regularly lol.

Ugh I hate that feeling. I feel like it's a lot more prevalent with everything in 3D now and you can't see as much of the dungeon or how far afield various paths go.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom