• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

We’ve got Trails from Daybreak next month and Yx X in the Autumn too. Plus SMTV: Vengeance and the HD version of MH Stories only came out last week.

Is this Phantom Brave port good or should I go for Steam? (I forgot I owned this collection till that reveal happened lol, never touched it)

I want to get the new one to support NIS, but wanna check the original out first.

3K8Oe1S.jpeg

We’ve got Trails from Daybreak next month and Yx X in the Autumn too. Plus SMTV: Vengeance and the HD version of MH Stories only came out last week.
We're drowning in RPGs and it rules.

I honestly keep forgetting about Ys X, we need a release date! Hopefully not early November since that's right in the middle of M+L and DQ3

Is this Phantom Brave port good or should I go for Steam? (I forgot I owned this collection till that reveal happened lol, never touched it)

I want to get the new one to support NIS, but wanna check the original out first.

3K8Oe1S.jpeg

The switch version works well ( Soul Nomad was the one that was bugged and they patched it). IIRC some of the items descriptions were messed up but nothing serious (and this applies to both the PC and switch port).

Going back to the direct, I'm actually excited about Fairy Tail 2. 1 really captures the anime /manga vibe and the battle system and music was actually good. A shame they really didn't give Gust real budget for the graphics (which even at the time in PS4 were bad). Hopefully this is alredy using the Katana engine

Mario & Luigi: Brothership was an awesome surprise from the direct, and it looked great! Replaying Super Mario RPG is a lot of fun, and I'm sure the remake of TTYD will be a nice way to revisit that game when I get around to it, but an actual new game really makes it feel like Mario RPGs are finally back.

The new Phantom Brave also reminded me that I should actually play the first one that's been sitting in my backlog for a few years lol

…they are remaking Skies of Arcadia? :D
uggghhhh don't hurt me

yesterday someone shared a grossly misinterpreted auto-generated summary of Nate's video and listed Skies of Arcadia among possible games in the Direct (when in fact he brought up Skies of Arcadia as something that wouldn't be coming) and I'm still not over the whiplash of excitement-to-irritation

well actually I'm a little over it

because that was a banger Direct

Ok but seriously, what kinda dirt does Kawazu have on the rest of the company to get a remake of Romancing SaGa 2 greenlit and then survive the latest pivot?! And then to have it prominent in the North America direct?

Ok but seriously, what kinda dirt does Kawazu have on the rest of the company to get a remake of Romancing SaGa 2 greenlit and then survive the latest pivot?! And then to have it prominent in the North America direct?

and not only that but what seems like an increased budget compared to the previous remakes

a lot of it comes down to art style but this is the first time one of these SaGa remakes has actually looked visually appealing to me, usually I take one look at them and just kinda zone out

I still need to get around to playing Emerald Beyond one of these days though

Romancing Saga 2 does look good. I think I’d have preferred 2DHD than it’s particular kind of 3D look, but hey, it’s not like there’s a lack of rpgs to play. I always wanted to play one of the Romancing Saga games but never got around to it before

Actually, is anyone able to summarise the Saga/Romancing Saga games on Switch and how they are connected etc? Between remakes and remasters and rereleases I’m thoroughly confused on where to start!

Actually, is anyone able to summarise the Saga/Romancing Saga games on Switch and how they are connected etc? Between remakes and remasters and rereleases I’m thoroughly confused on where to start!
No connection at all between games. It’s basically a sibling series to Final Fantasy. Although if you approach them like FF you’re going to be in for a rough time (which I suspect is how it “earned” the reputation among Western players as “weird and broken”). I think they’re also considered harder in general than FF?

Generally recommended starting points are Frontier or Romancing SaGa 3. Although that may have changed with Crimson and Emerald.

No connection at all between games. It’s basically a sibling series to Final Fantasy. Although if you approach them like FF you’re going to be in for a rough time (which I suspect is how it “earned” the reputation among Western players as “weird and broken”). I think they’re also considered harder in general than FF?

Generally recommended starting points are Frontier or Romancing SaGa 3. Although that may have changed with Crimson and Emerald.
Much appreciated! I think I must have reached the same conclusion a couple of years ago as RS3 is on my wishlist.

Such a strange series- what’s the difference between ‘Saga’ and ‘Romancing Saga’? I played some of the former when they were released on GB as FF Legend. But otherwise Romancing Saga looks a bit closer to FF maybe?

Such a strange series- what’s the difference between ‘Saga’ and ‘Romancing Saga’? I played some of the former when they were released on GB as FF Legend. But otherwise Romancing Saga looks a bit closer to FF maybe?
They basically just changed the name of the series when they launched on a new platform is my best understanding.

I think the Romancing games look like FF because it’s the same sprite artist and they were using the same “house style” as FF games at the time (ie. RS 1&2 look like FF 4&5 and RS 3 looks like FF 6)? Other than that there’s really no relation to FF.

They basically just changed the name of the series when they launched on a new platform is my best understanding.

I think the Romancing games look like FF because it’s the same sprite artist and they were using the same “house style” as FF games at the time (ie. RS 1&2 look like FF 4&5 and RS 3 looks like FF 6)? Other than that there’s really no relation to FF.
Awesome, thanks!

Unrelated but I’m floored that we got through June with 0 FF XVI port release dates. I’m sure Studio 3 is up to their knees in Dawntrail work but I seriously expected something to show up at Xbox or PC Gamer’s event. All eyes on TGS for now?

....Final Fantasy Legend much? :LOL:

For the unaware, FF is associated with SaGa because the very first SaGa games on the original Gameboy were renamed "Final Fantasy Legend" in the US. However unlike the Mana series they didn't actually start as a Final Fantasy spinoff.

....Final Fantasy Legend much? :LOL:

For the unaware, FF is associated with SaGa because the very first SaGa games on the original Gameboy were renamed "Final Fantasy Legend" in the US. However unlike the Mana series they didn't actually start as a Final Fantasy spinoff.
Athough they were also happy to call the first Mana game on GB ‘Mystic Quest’ here… while also calling their entry level rpg on SNES in the US ‘Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest’. Just in case things weren’t confusing enough.

Unrelated but I’m floored that we got through June with 0 FF XVI port release dates. I’m sure Studio 3 is up to their knees in Dawntrail work but I seriously expected something to show up at Xbox or PC Gamer’s event. All eyes on TGS for now?
I feel like with the new CEO there would have been if there was anything remotely close to being ready

so I can only assume that it's probably in development at this point but still really far off

The gacha game ReUniverse makes an inexplicable amount of money for Square

Where should I start with Romancing SaGa?
Are you in rush? Because this remake of 2 looks like it'll be a great place to start.

If you don't want to wait, Romancing SaGa 3 and SaGa Scarlet Grace are the best entry points in the franchise imo. Just depends what flavor you prefer.

So... Live A Live 2?

Not real? Or just not ready to be shown?
I don’t want to point or draw attention to it, but there was a reaction I saw online that I thought was interesting that lead me to believe it might be legit. I had someone I trust tell me a good while ago the Midori account wasn’t to be trusted so that always informed my reactions to it despite the hype around it. If it wasn’t for that other thing, I’d have dismissed Live A Live 2 outright.

So maybe real? I don’t know. If it doesn’t pop up in the next year or two, I’ll give up expecting it.

If it doesn’t pop up in the next year or two, I’ll give up expecting it.
I think this is a good position to take right now. The facts we know are:

1. Tokita has stated in an interview that a sequel pitch was done for the DS which never got anywhere
2. The game shipped 500k units on Switch in the first 4 months. I'm not able to find a sales update since then but I haven't done an extensive search.

So it's feasible there might be a sequel in pre-production but it really depends on the sales numbers and the current mood at S-E which is shifting towards bigger multiplatform releases. Per comments from Tokita, at the time, it would take 1 million in sales from the other platforms for there to be enough reason to push for a sequel.

I finished playing Soul Hackers on 3ds and its was a very different SMT experience. Out of all the SMT games I've played, it has the most "vibes" which is an interesting observation. When I say vibes, I mean it drew me in to play it, the aesthetic and the tech are immaculate.

As an smt game, it terms of gameplay, its probably my least favorite. The protagonist can only use physical attacks (guns kinda suck) and Nemissa is a strick Ice/Healer. I would not mine that a lot if the demons where a great balance but no. Demons dont level up so it felt weird having a level 27 demon when I was 50, but they had great skills lol. Demon selection thought was interesting, there were a bunch I did not recognize.

Story was ok, it just starts and the cast was decent Music was great, and the dungeon design were rather interesting. Overall pretty good game, I havent played SH2, but I will get to it eventually.

I finished playing Soul Hackers on 3ds and its was a very different SMT experience. Out of all the SMT games I've played, it has the most "vibes" which is an interesting observation. When I say vibes, I mean it drew me in to play it, the aesthetic and the tech are immaculate.

As an smt game, it terms of gameplay, its probably my least favorite. The protagonist can only use physical attacks (guns kinda suck) and Nemissa is a strick Ice/Healer. I would not mine that a lot if the demons where a great balance but no. Demons dont level up so it felt weird having a level 27 demon when I was 50, but they had great skills lol. Demon selection thought was interesting, there were a bunch I did not recognize.

Story was ok, it just starts and the cast was decent Music was great, and the dungeon design were rather interesting. Overall pretty good game, I havent played SH2, but I will get to it eventually.
Yeah I love the aesthetic of that game. Love Nemissa.

Overall, it's not a good game though.

I wish Soul Hackers 2 was actually a proper sequel that kept the 90s anime cyberpunk look and feel. Soul Hackers 2 is unfortunately worse than the first game.

Yeah I love the aesthetic of that game. Love Nemissa.

Overall, it's not a good game though.

I wish Soul Hackers 2 was actually a proper sequel that kept the 90s anime cyberpunk look and feel. Soul Hackers 2 is unfortunately worse than the first game.
Yes. She is fantastic, one of my favorite Atlus characters.

That seems to be the consensus. I got the game on pc for like 15$ :ROFLMAO:.

Yes. She is fantastic, one of my favorite Atlus characters.

That seems to be the consensus. I got the game on pc for like 15$ :ROFLMAO:.
I got my copy of Soul Hackers 2 for $20, and it still wasn't worth it for me.

But of course you may feel differently.

Just so many baffling decisions with that game. It opens with what feels like 2 hours of cutscenes and dialogue. The camera is awful, the UI does not feel good to navigate, the dungeons are poorly designed, etc.

Not even the classic fusion gameplay loop could keep me playing.

I got my copy of Soul Hackers 2 for $20, and it still wasn't worth it for me.

But of course you may feel differently.

Just so many baffling decisions with that game. It opens with what feels like 2 hours of cutscenes and dialogue. The camera is awful, the UI does not feel good to navigate, the dungeons are poorly designed, etc.

Not even the classic fusion gameplay loop could keep me playing.
I booted it up and yeah all of the above lol. But I think one of the weirdest thing is combat feels off. I cant tell exactly what it is, but it feels basic. I would need more time with it.

I keep forgetting that Ys X is still coming out this year. Falcom has said this Fall and I have no doubt they are going to stick right next to either Zelda or Dragon Quest III.
Yeah I have no idea where they're planning to launch it.

End of September has Zelda

Early October has Metaphor

Late October has Romancing SaGa 2

Early November has Mario and Luigi

Mid November has Dragon Quest III

Maybe they go end of November, on the 21st or 28th? Seems like the only spots where it has room to breathe, and it's not sandwiched by anything.

Just finished Eiyuden Chronicle. I had about 90 characters recruited (and basically skipped those who seemed annoying or too much effort). Finished up at about 41 hours. According to the end credits there was a ton of characters I never saw, which is interesting- clearly a lot to find for people wanting to dig deep!

By the end, combat was feeling really unbalanced, in that the only real threat to my team was attacks that just did so much damage that they insta-killed the back line. Sorted out with accessories that gave +200 HP. Which is a lot when my main characters were only on around 400 or so. Not only that, but team attacks that used two or three characters and a ton of skill points did less damage than them each attacking individually, and combat magic seemed pointless in how hard it was to restore MP compared to how little damage it did. It seemed better to save MP for healing and leave everyone using their skills individually.

On top of that, the duels felt pretty random (you’re just on trial and error until you write down the right answers for your next attempt) and repetitive, and not the cinematic high-tension thing they were going for. The battles were just pointlessly simple in that you can run at the enemy and win most of them.

Thing is, there’s a lot to like. Interesting characters to find, a script with lots of good dialogue, characters with relationships with each other than aren’t connected to the main ones. I love all that stuff, but really it was desire to see the Alliance succeed that dragged me through to the end, as the combat mechanics were fun but not very balanced, and everything else felt a bit hit and miss. Combine with performance issues and I’m left giving it a 6/10. A lot of room for improvement but fundamentally still a good game.

All in all, it felt a lot like Octopath 1- there’s a lot an iterative sequel could do to round it out.

Last edited:
A new Phantom Brave 🥰🥰🥰

Maybe now NIS will realize the worth of some of their older titles. A Makai Kindom 2 please 😄

Back
Top Bottom