• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

Shadow of the Erdtree is so good - the map is bananas in the best way. They legitimately could have just sold this as a standalone game called Elden Ring 2 (or pretty close) - it’s that big and full of unique stuff

Shadow of the Erdtree is so good - the map is bananas in the best way. They legitimately could have just sold this as a standalone game called Elden Ring 2 (or pretty close) - it’s that big and full of unique stuff
I've never understood why more companies don't do this.

Just make a sequel game that is essentially glorified DLC.

I don't get the necessity to start from scratch and completely reinvent everything.

Basically do what Baldur's Gate II did.

It's so much more cost and time effective. Well, unless you do Tears of the Kingdom, and it takes 6 years regardless.

Falcom president Toshihiro Kondo has said that they plan to announce a new Trails game for the 20th anniversary of the series, which is tomorrow.

Some people are speculating it has a strong chance of being a Trails In the Sky Remake, especially considering he said this:

"In fact, we have already been preparing a new work that can be used as an introduction to the Kiseki series, but it cannot be revealed as of yet, and we hope to disclose it during the 20th anniversary of the Kiseki series, so we ask that players to please wait for a little while longer."

Welp, another talent that left NIS and a reminder everyone should play the Labyrinth of games

Damn, I'm knee-deep in the postgame for Galleria and was hoping for a third game in the Labyrinth series.

Falcom president Toshihiro Kondo has said that they plan to announce a new Trails game for the 20th anniversary of the series, which is tomorrow.

Some people are speculating it has a strong chance of being a Trails In the Sky Remake, especially considering he said this:

As awesome as that is, I'd take just a port collection of the trilogy. The originals give me a Chrono Trigger vibe and I'd much rather play those than a remake.

That being said, beggers can't be choosers so 😅

Mario and Luigi and DQ 3 followed by visions of mana. Metaphor would be up there if I trusted the director to not put bigoted stuff in the game
So which JRPG games are everyone most hyped for that are slated to come out soon?

My ranking:

* Visions of Mana

* Metaphor: ReFantazio.

* Phantasia.

* Dragon Quest III HD-2D.

* Mario & Luigi Brothership

* Romancing Saga 2

I will buy all these day 1.

So which JRPG games are everyone most hyped for that are slated to come out soon?

My ranking:

* Visions of Mana

* Phantasia.

* Romancing Saga 2

I’m at-
DQIII
Ys X
Romancing Saga 2
Visions of Mana

Not too fussed about the others. I’m still
really intrigued by Beyond Galaxyland too

My ranking:

* Visions of Mana

* Phantasia.

* Romancing Saga 2

I’m hyped to M&LB and interested in DQ3 HD(tho tempted to just play the old port I already have).
Dunno about day 1’ing tho, got plenty of backlog right now. Trying to get back into Ryza 1 today

My ranking:

* Visions of Mana

* Phantasia.

* Romancing Saga 2

Trails through Daybreak is out in a couple of weeks and i've only heard good things about it, so that.

No way i'll be done with Reverie by the time its out though (my playthrough is going well btw, enjoying it way more than expected).

After that my most anticipated JRPG is Metaphor, but i'll most likely get all of the ones you have listed + YS X day1 or close to (except probably Mario & Luigi...)

Dragon Quest 3 (of course), Mario and Luigi and Visions of Mana. Also after playing the demo Reynatis, I found it surprisingly fun (albeit simple but I think you don't have full combat abilities in the demo)

My ranking:

* Visions of Mana

* Phantasia.

* Romancing Saga 2

Right now I only have Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D pre-ordered. Looking forward to it.

I'll probably get Brothership at somepoint. I really need to try the rest of the series though.

Most anticipated are DQ III and Brothership. I’m waiting for Switch 2 for Visions so I don’t have to double-dip and Romancing SaGa 2 is on my radar but I never finished the Unity port so I can wait on importing that one for a bit.

Metaphor I’m on the fence about and just waiting on reviews / Switch 2 announcement.

Brothership I’ll get for sure. I’m in a Steam family with someone who is getting DQ3 and Metaphor so I’ll play those at my leisure.

My ranking:

* Visions of Mana

* Phantasia.

* Romancing Saga 2

Trails through Daybreak is a day 1 for me, as are the Suikoden remasters but who knows when those even come out at this point

as for that list I quoted

Visions of Mana: i've never played a Mana game to be honest and not really super interested in doing so at a glance

Metaphor: ReFantazio: eh maybe someday, looks sort of interesting but I wouldn't touch something like this until I at least got around to trying out a Persona game which i'll do someday but still haven't

Fantasian(i'm assuming that's what you meant): sort of interested in this but not sure if i'm interested enough to ever actually play it

Dragon Quest III HD-2D: I didn't like 11 which is the only Dragon Quest game i've played, maybe i'll play another someday but a remake of a game from 1988 doesn't seem like a good venue for giving the series a second chance

Mario & Luigi Brothership: i've never played a Mario & Luigi game but not really interested in this, I don't like the art style and with Mario and Luigi as the only party members I can't imagine there's much party dialogue which is kind of a dealbreaker for me, Mario himself barely says anything even in the old Paper Mario games after all

Romancing Saga 2: this looked interesting but I still haven't gotten around to playing Emerald Beyond, i'll probably get this someday down the line in a sale though

My ranking:

* Visions of Mana

* Fantasian.

* Romancing Saga 2

1. Fantasian

2. Visions of Mana

3. Romancing SaGa 2

Fantasian for so many reasons: Sakaguchi and Uematsu first and foremost, but also the diorama style, the fact that I've wanted to try it for years and it's finally coming when I thought it maybe never would, I'm just so happy about that. I'm hoping a physical release is in the cards because I'd even preorder that. Ya hear me, Square?

Visions because it looks so, so, so pretty, and I'm happy to see Square continuing the series after a generation full of remasters and remakes. And did I mention it's pretty?

Romancing SaGa I'll admit I'm not super hyped about but only because I missed the SaGa train as a kid and really only know it exists and that's about it. But I'm hearing people say 2 is one of the greats and that the remake looks really good by fans' standards so I'd be happy to check it out.

The others on the list aren't no's for me by any stretch, just more of a "someday."

I still want to play though Monster Hunter Stories and SMT Vengeance, plus the dozen Switch RPGs in my backlog, let alone pick up any more

My ranking:

* Visions of Mana

* Fantasian.

* Romancing Saga 2

1. Metaphor

2. Fantasian

3. Brothership

I'm not into Action RPGs too much other than From Soft, Ys Oath/Ark/Origins, and the Metroid-vanias, but I might give Trials of Mana a try sometime, before I would consider buying Visions.

I don't buy remakes, so I don't care at all about DQHD, but if Romancing Saga 2 changes enough, I might check it out.

Ooh loving all of the most anticipated RPG list posts today! I’ll do a top five:

5 Visions of Mana - I don’t know if I’m getting it right at launch, but I’m looking forward to this. Looks to be a big, solid action RPG.

4 Dragon Quest III and I + II HD-2D - I usually skip over remakes for anticipated RPG lists, but these are mostly new to me and look to be very substantial expansions over the originals. Just very cleanly excited for these games even if they don’t get me extra hyped.

3 Ys X - I love the Ys games! Great action backed up by rocking tunes is always an awesome time! Moment the Limited Edition goes up for preorder I’m snagging it. Main reasons this isn’t in second place is because there’s no release date yet and I’m largely staying in information blackout as I want to be surprised when I play it!

2 Mario & Luigi Brothership - Wow what an awesome surprise to see this series return and it looks fantastic! So excited to see original characters return, the island structure looks fun as they can make whatever they want basically with it, and wow the animations look spectacular.

1 Trails Through Daybreak - My most anticipated game in general right now. I thoroughly enjoyed the Cold Steel games, but I’m so excited to move on and take the next big step forward with the series into Calvard and meet tons of new characters. I don’t know everyone who will be returning, but I’m hyped for all of the ones I know including one who’s been MIA for multiple games now. This game is going to fully consume me in 11 days.

Nothing's a sure bet for me but these are the three I'm most interested in

Visions of Mana - Pending the probable demo to see how the game actually feels to play, since I've seen somewhat mixed opinions from previews. The game looks really cool though and I'm craving a fun comfort JRPG (despite having next to no experience in the Mana series)

Metaphor - This basically depends on whether or not I decide to start P5R and whether or not starting that causes me to get Persona-like fatigue. Besides that the game looks pretty interesting! Curious to see ATLUS' take on a Press Turn class based system

Brothership - It looks pretty cool visually for sure but I have next to no experience with this series either so I have no real clue what to expect gameplay wise (besides a action command turn based combat system)

Been replaying Superstar Saga with this announcement. Well, playing, more like it, more on that later.

I've always preferred SMRPG and the first two PM games to the M&L series, but Superstar Saga is certainly a great game in its own right and easily the best in the series. They absolutely nailed this first attempt. The Beanbean Kingdom feels like it could be a real location neighboring the Mushroom Kingdom and there's a level of worldbuilding often not present for the other Mario RPGs. While I haven't played Dream Team or Paper Jam, playing through this, I'm reasonably certain Superstar Saga is the most challenging Mario RPG game out of them all. Obviously it's no SMT or anything, but having less attack options than the sequels amidst other things certainly makes me feel restrained as I play through the game. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but an observation.

As a kid, I got to the final boss but could never beat it. Then I lost my cartridge. I finally got my hands on another one years later but I never managed to finish a replay of it. A few years ago I started another one and got decently far but fell off of it. With the Brothership announcement I figured it was time to get back to it and finally beat it. I'm wrapping up Joke's End now so getting pretty close to beating it. I still have Dream Team in my backlog, but I don't want to burn out before Brothership is out, so I'll save that for another time.

I hope Kevin Penkin gets the chance to do an RPG soundtrack one of these days. I think he's done some songs for mobile titles but I'm talking about composing an entire OST for a full fledge RPG. He's done such a great job with Made in Abyss and the Spice and Wolf reboot. His music is basically one of the few good things about Shield Hero.

This just screams RPG title menu.

Last edited:
Boy Fawful's fight in SSS is more annoying than I remember. Took 3 tries to kill him

Will see if I can beat the final boss tonight and finally accomplish a 20 year old childhood hangup

Well, fulfilled a 20 year obligation to beat the final boss. The “start second phase with 1 HP” thing is annoying so it took a few tries but once I got past that I won.

I am not sure that ending was worth the 20 year wait but I’m glad I beat this. Maybe I’ll start Dream Team soon after all.

My ranking:

* Visions of Mana

* Fantasian.

* Romancing Saga 2

Super late reply but the four upcoming 2024 RPGs I'm 100% excited about are:

The Legend of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak
Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake
Visions of Mana
Ys X: Nordics

Hard to rank them though I'd probably say: 1) Daybreak/DQ3, 2) Visions/Ys X. See I can't even make up my mind on who goes second and who goes fourth lol.

Super late reply but the four upcoming 2024 RPGs I'm 100% excited about are:

The Legend of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak
Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake
Visions of Mana
Ys X: Nordics

Hard to rank them though I'd probably say: 1) Daybreak/DQ3, 2) Visions/Ys X. See I can't even make up my mind on who goes second and who goes fourth lol.
Great picks

Metaphor and DQ3 HD are the two big ones for me. Sort of interested in Ys X as well but depends where that release date falls, might just ask for as a Christmas gift or something.

My number one anticipated game and RPG of the year is Kai no Kiseki!!!!! (I'm sure I've said that enough!) 😅 I have already played both Trails into Daybreak 1 and 2, as well as Ys X, so I'm just looking forward to other people's reactions for those.

I think Visions of Mana will be a day 1 for me.

Metaphor is my second most anticipated game, but I'm gonna hold till Black Friday, both because I'll still be busy with Kai and that Sega physical prices collapse quick.

Romancing SaGa 2 remake has caught my attention, and honestly more than pretty much every other upcoming Square game. I'm not even a SaGa fan!

Mario and Luigi Brotherhood is an absolute get, it is my number 1 first party game of the previous Direct.

DQ3HD will prob be a buy too, but I'm not like bouncing off the walls for it.

Back
Top Bottom