• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Reddit Leaker: "Do you think everyone is primed and ready?" (Metroid Prime?)

That doesn't mean Nintendo expects it to sell record amounts. It just means it had a very protracted development with obvious troubles given that it was completely restarted under a different developer.

I'm extremely skeptical Nintendo decided to full reboot Prime 4 and give it to a developer in an expensive area of the United States and give them a lot of outsourcing money for art support for a project with a big enough scale that a full reboot would take 4-6 years to make... And only expect Prime 4 to sell 3m, lol.

Even without counting the years before Retro, this might be one of the five most expensive games in Nintendo history (the others being BotW, BotW2, and Smash)

Instead of technical concerns, what do you all think the game will ultimately be? I’m expecting larger environments at certain points for sure even if good chunks of the game will resemble classic Prime with smaller rooms. I feel like a big part of Metroid gameplay is really studying your environment and having smaller rooms helps people navigate/explore/puzzle solve in them. I’m hoping for a solitary experience, but Prime 3 did introduce radio conversations which did work well. An option to have scan logs read to you would be cool.

Any guessing on the central gimmick if there is one? ie light and dark world, being hunted down etc. What kind of world would you like to see? I think I’d prefer something closer to Tallon IV after Prime 2 and 3 had more barren worlds.
I'm thinking of bigger environments too, and areas focused on exploration and discovery through scan.

I think it will be very focused on isolation but I can see it having something like Adam in Dread as your adventure log.

I might sound a little boring but I think the game can learn a lot from Dread.
That doesn't mean Nintendo expects it to sell record amounts. It just means it had a very protracted development with obvious troubles given that it was completely restarted under a different developer.
I don't think they're expecting anything like BotW or any insane performance but I think they're definitely expecting it to sell better than any Metroid game before. I mean Dread already did it so I think it can, like, go for 4/5 million with Prime 4.
I'm extremely skeptical Nintendo decided to full reboot Prime 4 and give it to a developer in an expensive area of the United States and give them a lot of outsourcing money for art support for a project with a big enough scale that a full reboot would take 4-6 years to make... And only expect Prime 4 to sell 3m, lol.

Even without counting the years before Retro, this might be one of the five most expensive games in Nintendo history (the others being BotW, BotW2, and Smash)
Yeah that's insane to me. Budget wise Metroid Prime 4 is some territory Nintendo hadn't really gone before, not counting certain profit stuff like Smash Ultimate and TotK.

I think and hope that MP4 will become the best-selling Metroid game, because that will mean that it is good. However, I also think that Metroid has a value to Nintendo in terms of marketing that goes beyond the sell numbers. If MP4 beats Dread, they will be happy, but the most important thing in my opinion is that the reviews are good, to maintain the value of one of their main intellectual properties.

Without knowing what the status of the Prime 1 remake, or remake trilogy or whatever they are/were supposedly working on, I don't think we know enough to say. We rarely have Nintendo games announced publicly so early, where we would explicitly know it's been in dev in some form for so many years. Whereas it's very likely there are unannounced projects with equally tumultuous and more expensive dev periods. Where is 3D/2D Mario for example? It's been ~6 years since Odyssey. Pikmin 4 has almost assuredly been started and stopped and started again over the last 10 plus years, I doubt Nintendo is counting on 5-10 million units of Pikmin being shipped.

Allegedly Prime 1 was "completed" near the end of 2021, which would indicate a large portion of Retro was not even working on Prime 4 from the period of 2019-2021. Did those people move to Prime 4, or maybe they are working on a Prime 2 remake/remaster or whatever. Given LinkedIn sleuthing, it seems like Retro also started a project in 2022. This is all wrapped around COVID which has clearly delayed Nintendo projects by a year or more. Ignoring the work that Bamco did, I doubt the current iteration of MP4 is drastically more expensive that a lot of games Nintendo has had in development during the Switch+COVID era.

Fully prepared for the timeline we're in to have zero Metroid in the possible February Direct, resulting in yet another cycle of despair and recrimination, before Nintendo go double Prime in summer with a Prime HD/Prime 4 joint reveal; the former for October 2023, the latter for 2024.

Fully prepared for the timeline we're in to have zero Metroid in the possible February Direct, resulting in yet another cycle of despair and recrimination, before Nintendo go double Prime in summer with a Prime HD/Prime 4 joint reveal; the former for October 2023, the latter for 2024.
This is what’ll happen. You can’t talk about Prime 1 without bringing up Prime 4, and Nintendo very rarely talks about games that are still a year+ from release, meaning they’re not bringing it up in the Feb direct.

They haven't hired a single multiplayer person in the four years since Prime 4 was announced and have let all of their old multiplayer people leave. That's why I'm very confident it doesn't have multiplayer.

I see it differently. With the way Retro scooped people like the lead engineer for the COD Black Ops line (who specialized in online, network, tools and gameplay programming), I can't help but think they may be cooking something up interesting for Prime 4. Frankly, I think some type of MP portion is more likely than chasing after open world. The question is, again, just how would it take shape.

I'm still 100% confident in this. Metroid will be at the next Direct. Prime 4 or Prime Remasters who knows. But Metroid will be there. I also just have a strong feeling its February 8th. Just seems perfect

Yeah that's insane to me. Budget wise Metroid Prime 4 is some territory Nintendo hadn't really gone before, not counting certain profit stuff like Smash Ultimate and TotK.

We can't possibly know what budget Prime 4 has, and it being "one of the most expensive" when we've not seen so much as a screenshot is definitely wishful thinking.

Animal Crossing New Horizons, a game that's actually probably in competition for most expensive game Nintendo made, entered development some time after New Leaf released and well before the team had any idea what the Switch would be.

Yes, they had to write years of development off, that probably happens way more often than any of us can guess, but in most cases Nintendo (and many companies!) don't talk about projects until they're close to release because those kind of write offs happen way more often than they'd like to admit. The actual work that'll have gone in to Prime 4 is at just over 4 years now, and ostensibly includes a remake of Prime 1 within that time too. The development of Prime 4 simply would not have been greenlit if they expected it to need to get something well over the previous series bests in order to justify the development, because that would have been insane. (Reminder that they only expected New Horizons to match New leafs lifetime sales, and that's a far more important series).

This is what’ll happen. You can’t talk about Prime 1 without bringing up Prime 4, and Nintendo very rarely talks about games that are still a year+ from release, meaning they’re not bringing it up in the Feb direct.
But they still do talk about games a year+ out and Metroid Prime 4 could fit. It’s now or E3.

Yeah, it's gonna be Dread all over again lol. We knew about 2D Metroid game coming for awhile before it was revealed. 2021 they simply announced it at E3 for release less than four months after. I'm expecting the same thing for the Prime Remaster, I don't think they'll announce the game at the February Direct unless it surprisingly is a June game.
I'm still 100% confident in this. Metroid will be at the next Direct. Prime 4 or Prime Remasters who knows. But Metroid will be there. I also just have a strong feeling its February 8th. Just seems perfect
I wouldn't be so confident... :(
If the game is fall 2023 they will probably wait for announcement at E3 like happened with Dread.
We can't possibly know what budget Prime 4 has, and it being "one of the most expensive" when we've not seen so much as a screenshot is definitely wishful thinking.

Animal Crossing New Horizons, a game that's actually probably in competition for most expensive game Nintendo made, entered development some time after New Leaf released and well before the team had any idea what the Switch would be.

Yes, they had to write years of development off, that probably happens way more often than any of us can guess, but in most cases Nintendo (and many companies!) don't talk about projects until they're close to release because those kind of write offs happen way more often than they'd like to admit. The actual work that'll have gone in to Prime 4 is at just over 4 years now, and ostensibly includes a remake of Prime 1 within that time too. The development of Prime 4 simply would not have been greenlit if they expected it to need to get something well over the previous series bests in order to justify the development, because that would have been insane. (Reminder that they only expected New Horizons to match New leafs lifetime sales, and that's a far more important series).
Oh, exactly. I'm putting all of this in mind actually. Nintendo never reveals the budget of their games so all we can do is speculate based on development time and size of the teams.

Animal Crossing New Horizons, while having an insane development time considering its pre-production, would already be accountable for the period from 2016/2017-2020 when a whole chunk of EPD was working on it. Breath of the Wild had 4 years of development but involved a lot of people working on it, peaking at 300.

Even with Metroid Prime Remaster being worked on from 2017-2021, and even if during 2019-2021 it was like 50:50 between people working on MPR and MP4, I don't see how Prime 4 will finish its development by 2024 without being at least on the same league as Animal Crossing New Horizons, Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey in terms of budget.

But that doesn't mean Nintendo is expecting some gangbuster sales from it or it selling insanely more than any game in the franchise. Metroid Dread was a high effort work that had a 4 years development title, with Nintendo knowing the roof of how much it could sell wouldn't be even 5M, but we're still super happy with its sales performance.

Also, we kinda got used to some big numbers on Switch era with BotW, ACNH, Odyssey and etc but most AAA games that cost like double of those games to make never sell anywhere near that well. The game that comes to mind is Shadow of the Tomb Raider which is on the list of the most expensive games of all time and sold about ~5 million and the publisher is satisfied with it.

Fully prepared for the timeline where Nintendo announces Metroid Prime Remastered this February and also commits to remastering Metroid Prime 2 and 3 within a year in preparation for Metroid Prime 4, and also because I want Metroid Prime 3 Remastered.

Fully prepared for the timeline where Nintendo announces Metroid Prime Remastered this February and also commits to remastering Metroid Prime 2 and 3 within a year in preparation for Metroid Prime 4, and also because I want Metroid Prime 3 Remastered.
The brightest timeline. I admire your optimism.

Best Buy's Metroid Prime 4 listing currently has the ESRB rating as T for Teen.

The most recent archived copy of the page is all the way back in April 2022 (where it was still Rating Pending), so I don't know how recently it changed. It seems that people noticed this just a few days ago, but that doesn't mean it just happened.

And obviously, even if it did just happen, that doesn't mean it's significant. There's still no (public) listing on the ESRB website, and retailers put made-up information on game listings all the time.

Best Buy's Metroid Prime 4 listing currently has the ESRB rating as T for Teen.

The most recent archived copy of the page is all the way back in April 2022 (where it was still Rating Pending), so I don't know how recently it changed. It seems that people noticed this just a few days ago, but that doesn't mean it just happened.

And obviously, even if it did just happen, that doesn't mean it's significant. There's still no (public) listing on the ESRB website, and retailers put made-up information on game listings all the time.
Hmmmm that's rather interesting. Could mean nothing, but how used to put non announced/known information on game listings is Best Buy?

There's been games rated or listed many months of even more than a year in advance before. Metroid Prime 4 being rated wouldn't mean it's almost done, but could mean it's on a showable state or something idk.

Hmmmm that's rather interesting. Could mean nothing, but how used to put non announced/known information on game listings is Best Buy?

There's been games rated or listed many months of even more than a year in advance before. Metroid Prime 4 being rated wouldn't mean it's almost done, but could mean it's on a showable state or something idk.
Best Buy is extremely unreliable. They had a listing for Metroid Prime Trilogy for Nintendo Switch at one point.

Most things like this, I normally wouldn't even post about, like a release date update. This one just caught my eye since it seems to have been RP for as long as the Prime 4 listing has been up, but changed to T sometime since last April (and possibly recently based on when people noticed it).

Metroid PRime is by far my favorite game so I refuse to believe in a remake. There's just no way the universe falls in my favor like that. It's a dream.

Well sonic prime just got confirmed for more content I guess that's what the leaker alluded to.

Theres far more things alluding at nintendo spendings loads of money at mp4 than the opposite.

I dont like making this kinda comment but why its so trendy to act as if the series hasnt historically been one of the most expensive in nintendo's catalogue right from super metroid or as if nintendo hasnt tried to make metroid finally blow up multiple times.

You say FE is trending and nintendo has good expectations for it despite 2d metroid selling on the same level and people agree alright. You say metroid is trending and that nintendo has expectations for it and now that's not realistic.

I see it differently. With the way Retro scooped people like the lead engineer for the COD Black Ops line (who specialized in online, network, tools and gameplay programming), I can't help but think they may be cooking something up interesting for Prime 4. Frankly, I think some type of MP portion is more likely than chasing after open world. The question is, again, just how would it take shape.

In the Wii U era everyone thought Retro was working on some "mature" IP because they hired folks from Naughty Dog and Vigil games, but it ended up being DK. Who they hire doesn't tell us anything about the nature of the projects they're working on unfortunately.

In the Wii U era everyone thought Retro was working on some "mature" IP because they hired folks from Naughty Dog and Vigil games, but it ended up being DK. Who they hire doesn't tell us anything about the nature of the projects they're working on unfortunately.
The difference here is that the post I was responding to stated that "Retro hadn't hired any personnel with MP experience". I shared something to suggest the contrary.

Whether some type of MP ends up in Prime 4 or not, again, it at least is interesting that they bothered to hire a guy with specific online/networking tools on their resume.

The difference here is that the post I was responding to stated that "Retro hadn't hired any personnel with MP experience". I shared something to suggest the contrary.

Whether some type of MP ends up in Prime 4 or not, again, it at least is interesting that they bothered to hire a guy with specific online/networking tools on their resume.

It was actually a very smart thing for Nintendo to publicize Retro taking over MP4, because they've attracted and hired talent from across the entire industry to join Retro. They've more than doubled their size since Tropical Freeze. It's pretty awesome to see them grow like this. I'm sure there are plenty of people on the team with multiplayer experience.

Is MP4 releasing in late 2023 a totally unrealistic thing ? That would be a minimum of 5 years development time right ? I have not closely followed the details about the game development but on paper it seems like a long enough period of time.

Is MP4 releasing in late 2023 a totally unrealistic thing ? That would be a minimum of 5 years development time right ? I have not closely followed the details about the game development but on paper it seems like a long enough period of time.

It would be a month or two short of five years minimum (People like to assume Retro took over the project in late 2018... It would make sense but we don't know that for sure). Take into account Nintendo was hit really hard by the pandemic as well. I still don't think it's unrealistic though. They could easily unveil it as late as E3 this year and still release it in the fall/winter, just like Dread.

Dread was a 4 year project, and I don't think nearly 5 years is unreasonable for Prime 4 even with the pandemic. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if it took 6+. Development cycles are really out of control these days, even within Nintendo.

It would be a month or two short of five years minimum (People like to assume Retro took over the project in late 2018... It would make sense but we don't know that for sure). Take into account Nintendo was hit really hard by the pandemic as well. I still don't think it's unrealistic though. They could easily unveil it as late as E3 this year and still release it in the fall/winter, just like Dread.

Dread was a 4 year project, and I don't think nearly 5 years is unreasonable for Prime 4 even with the pandemic. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if it took 6+. Development cycles are really out of control these days, even within Nintendo.
Thanks for the answer. I also really wonder how the rumored Prime 1 remake impacts the equation. It just seems weird they would divide ressource on 2 prime projects. Maybe Prime 1 remake started before they were given Prime 4 reboot ? Idk it just seems strange to me when, as you said, development cycles are out of control these days.

Even if "development" started on Retro's Prime 4 in late 2018 it seems to me that the project may have basically reentered pre production. It really sounds like most if not all of the work on the previous iteration of 4 was thrown out and things started from scratch, so they probably had a good chunk of time completely going back to the drawing board and nailing down a solid foundation before things really got into high gear. They were hiring for many key positions for the project at that time as well. So yeah 5+ years does not sound unreasonable to me given that.

Assuming MP remake actually exists and it's coming before MP4, I'd say MP4 could be an early 2024 game, definetely not 2023.

It's heavily rumored that a Prime 1 remake is coming before Prime 4.

As Prime 1 Remake is surely not coming before June of this year at the absolute earliest, and assuming that Nintendo wouldn't want to release two Metroid Prime games so close to each other, it's extremely unlikely to be 2023.

Thanks for the answer. I also really wonder how the rumored Prime 1 remake impacts the equation. It just seems weird they would divide ressource on 2 prime projects. Maybe Prime 1 remake started before they were given Prime 4 reboot ? Idk it just seems strange to me when, as you said, development cycles are out of control these days.
Yes. From what we heard from insiders, by ~2017 Retro started working on Metroid Prime Remastered (by then it was planned to be the whole trilogy). By 2018 they were already assisting the development of MP4. Then it was decided they'd make a more ambitious remaster (full asset remake), and leave 2 and 3 for either later or to give someone else. The project of MP4 consisting of development in different parts of the world fell apart and Nintendo decided to lend it to Retro. Prime Remake completed its development by late summer 2021.

It's not that weird really, Retro has worked on multiple projects at one time throughout their existence. Not everyone is needed on a single project at every point in the development. For example, the rumored remake is said to be a visual one primarily. So there you would have many of the artists and animators and some engineers on the project, but probably not as many from the design team because they aren't really changing anything in regards to design (again, according to rumors). So while they're doing that, Prime 4 is likely in preproduction where designers are creating design documents, Engineers are getting all their tech in order, concept artists are proposing how the game will look (you wouldn't need concept artists on MP1 remake), etc.

Back
Top Bottom