• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Project Zero/Fatal Frame: Maiden of Blackwater |ST| (Get) Out of the Woods

TheMoon

(not a sphere)
Pronouns
He/Him
zeroott3se5.jpg

Developed & Published by: Koei Tecmo
Originally Published on Wii U in 2014/2015 by: Nintendo
Platforms: Switch/PS4/PS5/Xboxen/Steam
Release Dates: October 28, 2021
Genre: Spooky Instagram Survival
Gyro Controls: Yes (Optional!)
Language (Audio): English / Japanese
File Size: 14.1 GB Standard / 18.1 GB Deluxe (Switch) | 21.85 GB (Xbox) | 11.10 GB (PS) | 25GB (Steam)
Store Pages: US / CA / EU / AU / NZ / Japan (Switch) | Xbox | US | UK (PS) | Steam |
Free Console Upgrades: Yes on both Xbox and PS
Reviews: Thread

New in this version:
  • Improved resolution
  • 60fps on Xbox/PS
  • New outfits and accessories
  • New Snap Mode where you can freely place characters and spirits for creative shots
  • Updated Ghost List
  • Updated controls
and more
New Costumes List
◆ Yuri Costume: Punk Ensemble​
◆ Yuri Costume: Cutesy Goth Ensemble (Black)​
◆ Yuri Costume: Swimsuit (Blue)​
◆ Yuri Costume: Triathlon Suit​
◆ Miu Costume: Miku Hinasaki Outfit (The Tormented)​
◆ Miu Costume: Cutesy Goth Ensemble (White)​
◆ Miu Costume: Swimsuit (Yellow)​
◆ Miu Costume: Swimsuit (Pink)​
◆ Ren Costume: Groom's Outfit​

New Accessories List
◆ Yuri Costume: White Lily​
◆ Yuri Costume: Black Lily​
◆ Miu Costume: White Lily​
◆ Miu Costume: Black Lily​
◆ Yuri Costume: Maid's Hairband​
◆ Miu Costume: Maid's Hairband​
◆ Yuri Costume: "In This Cage" Ring​
◆ Miu Costume: "In This Cage" Ring​

storyzeronzpxy.png

Ever heard of the "Suicide Forest?" That's where this takes place (a fictionalized version of it). Here, it's called Mt. Hikami and people tend to go there and ...never come back.

The game tells the stories of three playable characters whose stories will converge at some point. You're mostly going after people that disappeared at Mt. Hikami. Bad things are obviously going on. Find out the rest yourself.

ffdatwaterrqef5.gif

The three playable characters are:

Yuri KozukataMiu Hinasaki
2681357-0068ykpl.jpg
2681355-008zmkuo.jpg
Ren HojoAyane (post-game bonus chapter)
2681353-012cik2p.jpg
2686358-002e2s4t.jpg

gameplayzero2ekh5.png

Unlike previous games in the series, you're taking on "missions" and you can replay those at will. After picking a mission, you travel to Mt. Hikami to investigate and do the usual picture taking of ghosts while trying to unravel whatever mystery presents itself. It's noteworthy that the areas are the largest in the series yet, so don't let the mission structure irritate you.

tumblr_ntl8h8oZPj1qzp9weo1_640.gif

The "ghost hands" events from the previous two games (the JP-only Zero 4 on Wii and the JP/PAL-only Wii-remake of Zero 2) return, along with the third person over-the-shoulder camera perspective.

tumblr_o54o9gaizG1rsgoqro6_r3_400.gif

New for this version is a photo mode:
screenshot04

bonusfnjkc.png

If you like weird crossovers, the post-game Ayane chapter has you covered. Here, the gameplay is based on avoiding ghosts and stealthiness since Ayane has no Camera Obscura. This was already in the original game and is not new to the re-release.
2ikel.jpg

purchaszero6cj19.png

Digital: Standard and Digital Deluxe with a digital artbook and anniversary celebration costumes.

Digital Deluxe contents (bonus content also available as a separate DLC pack):
1. "PROJECT ZERO: MAIDEN OF BLACK WATER" Base Game
2. 20th Anniversary Digital Artbook
3. Past Protagonists Costume Set
◆ Yuri Costume: Mio Amakura Outfit
◆ Yuri Costume: Rei Kurosawa Outfit
◆ Miu Costume: Miku Hinasaki Outfit 1
◆ Miu Costume: Miku Hinasaki Outfit 2
◆ Miu Costume: Mayu Amakura Outfit
◆ Ren Costume: Kei Amakura Outfit

ddx.jpg

Early purchase bonus (until November 10th, 2021):
pre-item2.jpg

Physical:
There is no retail version anywhere in the West. The only retail versions are for "Asia", Hong Kong, and Japan. Notably, they have English language support but that will only be included via a post-launch update.

Links:
Siliconera interview with Makoto Shibata (Koei Tecmo) and Toru Osawa (Nintendo SPD)

Last edited:
that was the other game :p
Nah dude!

During the part where the girls are asleep and where you play as Ren, when ghosts are trying to get into the house, the tall lady is one of the ghosts who appears. She has one of the best jump scares in the game where she appears with her face staring into the camera :p

Still have my WiiU hooked up and a physical copy (EU), but am considering getting it for the Switch if the port is good.
I'll be waiting a bit and see how things will look in the meantime just in case considering the PC port is apparently somewhat of a mess.

Fuck the tall lady though

What you talking about?

lady5mk1o.png

Played through the first interlude so far. Game is pretty clunky and slow, but in a way that makes for good, tense horror. Having a good time so far!

I love (note: sarcasm) that Koei Tecmo is really getting into the Square Enix-style copyright BS and just slaps them on any screenshot you take in their games with shared copyright now. Ugh. Especially great if your game's main new feature is a god damn photo mode lol.

this is a good episode, even if the (unfortunately) never localized Wii one was better
I’m actually not easily spooked and have always been a horror aficionado but I was playing in bed last night and genuinely had to put my Switch down because I was unsettled. It’s good.

Can I ask what ghost or moment it was that caused it?
It wasn’t really a specific moment. Jump scares don’t really get me usually tbh, but creepy atmospheres do. Like, the horror stories that get me the most are usually not like slasher movies etc. but stuff where they manage to create a tense and disturbing atmosphere. So:

In this case, it was just a growing sense of unease while walking in the forest in the second episode in the darkness with the oppressive soundscape and stuff like the doll shrine and the memory of the girls walking into the water together. It all kind of contributed to me just putting down the Switch as soon as I reached the next checkpoint so I wouldn’t lose progress. I’ll pick it up again later today after resting a bit. :p

It wasn’t really a specific moment. Jump scares don’t really get me usually tbh, but creepy atmospheres do. Like, the horror stories that get me the most are usually not like slasher movies etc. but stuff where they manage to create a tense and disturbing atmosphere. So:

In this case, it was just a growing sense of unease while walking in the forest in the second episode in the darkness with the oppressive soundscape and stuff like the doll shrine and the memory of the girls walking into the water together. It all kind of contributed to me just putting down the Switch as soon as I reached the next checkpoint so I wouldn’t lose progress. I’ll pick it up again later today after resting a bit. :p

Yes, this has a creepy atmosphere, I agree

You're going to love this series in that case then, yeah. That's what it's all about. It's my favourite horror game series for the atmosphere and the disturbing scenario. They go pretty in depth with the ghosts back stories usually in these games. There's a real sense of dread in all these games. The first game is definitely still up there in terms of scariest games I've ever played.

I really hope that Koei Tecmo port the rest of the series across too since they're all fantastic games.

You're going to love this series in that case then, yeah. That's what it's all about. It's my favourite horror game series for the atmosphere and the disturbing scenario. They go pretty in depth with the ghosts back stories usually in these games.

I really hope that Koei Tecmo port the rest of the series across too since they're all fantastic games.
Sounds good! Excited to see it through. I think I remember seeing a story about them being open to continue working on the series if this entry did well?

I’m actually not easily spooked and have always been a horror aficionado but I was playing in bed last night and genuinely had to put my Switch down because I was unsettled. It’s good.
you're also experiencing the wonderfully misperceived "horror game on a handheld" scenario which always got looked down upon but is (or can be) actually far more intense than sitting halfway across the room from a TV. having it right up in your face (esp. in bed) and possibly with headphones on as well adds so much to horror games or anything that relies on intense levels of suspense and moody lighting.

you're also experiencing the wonderfully misperceived "horror game on a handheld" scenario which always got looked down upon but is (or can be) actually far more intense than sitting halfway across the room from a TV. having it right up in your face (esp. in bed) and possibly with headphones on as well adds so much to horror games or anything that relies on intense levels of suspense and moody lighting.

Right? I was in fact in bed in complete darkness with the headphones on. No other environment visuals or sounds than the small screen right up by my eyes and the game sounds directly into my ears. If that doesn’t add to immersion and tension, I don’t know what does.

Question because I’ve been eyeing this game since the Wii U but I have a love hate relationship with horror games.

Does it have spiders or other arachnids? That’s a deal breaker for me unfortunately.

People seem to really love the game here! It was poorly rated for what I saw, so I'm still hesitant. I've never played a project zero game so this might be a good place to start..

Question because I’ve been eyeing this game since the Wii U but I have a love hate relationship with horror games.

Does it have spiders or other arachnids? That’s a deal breaker for me unfortunately.
this is a series specifically about "fighting" ghosts/spirits with a camera. got nothing to do with monsters or anything like that.

People seem to really love the game here! It was poorly rated for what I saw, so I'm still hesitant. I've never played a project zero game so this might be a good place to start..
It's good! Not the best in the series but you can do a lot worse for the price. Worth diving into, especially at this time of year.

Finished the third chapter and interlude and getting more comfortable with the atmosphere and gameplay. Less stressed and starting to get into the story quite a bit, actually. Visuals are amazing (at least on my OLED screen) and I would love the rain ambiance so much if I wasn’t so scared of getting soaked. Excited to see where this goes from here.

Physical:
There is no retail version anywhere in the West. The only retail versions are for "Asia" and Japan. Notably, they have English language support but that will only be included via a post-launch update.

I've long been interested in checking this series out, and, following the happenstances surround the games on Nintendo platforms, this release could be a way to finally do so; however, I really would prefer to get a physical copy, but yet the language support needing patched in is much less than ideal.

I don't really expect it, but I do hope there becomes available a retail release that includes everything on the cartridge itself. Of course, I would also love to be able to get the whole series like that. Perhaps the best chance for this is for Nintendo to come back into the picture, as they have taken interest in the franchise in the past. It does seem a very slim chance.

It's good! Not the best in the series but you can do a lot worse for the price. Worth diving into, especially at this time of year.
How is the game story-wise ? I'm afraid it won't be that interesting and easily boring, especially if the game lasts for fifteen hours. I might buy it cause everything else seems quite good to me..

How is the game story-wise ? I'm afraid it won't be that interesting and easily boring, especially if the game lasts for fifteen hours. I might buy it cause everything else seems quite good to me..
Nothing enthralling but so far it's been a decent excuse for cool imagery and horror shenanigans

Today I learned that they announced a Fatal Frame 1 remake for the 20th Anniversary, except it's a pachinko machine:

Yes, actually!
My first one (Project Zero 2 remake on Wii) had me the same way !
Also a horror enthusiast, not scared by games usually, but the first few hours of Project Zero for me were terrifying. Just the atmosphere and the possibility of a ghost showing up or catching my hand while I'm trying to grab an item had me terrified.
After a couple hours it gets better though, you understand the rules of the world and of the game design and it's fine.
But still a wonderfully well crafted scary world !!!

Nice thread!
Finished the one on WiiU a long time ago (got the physical LE in EU), it got a lot of undeserved hate at the time due to not matching expectations (some hardcore fans wanting something else, some reviewers comparing it to Outlast that released around the same time, some not liking this kind of horror, etc). It obviously has issues, but it's a really good entry point in the franchise and has some strong points too.

Old interview on the game (including Nintendo staff) for those interested, the website has a lot of translated stuff about this series.
http://fftranslations.atspace.co.uk/ff5/ff5interview.html

Just started it and till chapter 4 now. Not sure if I want to switch to easy mode, I actually struggle more with the controls and more scare that I will drop my switch while fighting the ghosts than the ghosts themselves lol.

I got this on Wii U back in 2015 and really enjoyed it.
It has its flaws, but the eerie, creeping dread, ghost story lore and potent atmosphere more than outweigh its shortcomings for me.
The second and fourth games in the series still remain the best in my opinion (it's a crime the 2008 Wii entry was never properly localized, though there's an excellent English homebrew patch available) but this is still a worthwhile experience for those who enjoy slower paced, less action oriented horror.

I got this on Wii U back in 2015 and really enjoyed it.
It has its flaws, but the eerie, creeping dread, ghost story lore and potent atmosphere more than outweigh its shortcomings for me.
The second and fourth games in the series still remain the best in my opinion (it's a crime the 2008 Wii entry was never properly localized, though there's an excellent English homebrew patch available) but this is still a worthwhile experience for those who enjoy slower paced, less action oriented horror.
it was properly localized (presumably as there were EU magazine ads for a release a few months after the prints went out so they had to have been deep in it)....but just got canned at the last second :(
that is the real tragedy there

it was properly localized (presumably as there were EU magazine ads for a release a few months after the prints went out so they had to have been deep in it)....but just got canned at the last second :(
that is the real tragedy there

Think they hinted at maybe doing it on Twitter recently(?) Or at least asked if people were interested in it.
I really hope we finally get FF4 official localization. The game is amazing.

Yeah Fatal Frame 4 is honestly one of the best games on Wii and one of the finest horror games I have ever played, I absolute adore it.

It's not just brilliantly scary and superbly atmospheric, but without spoilers it also manages a poignant sense of melancholy that really elevates it.

Man. The game crushed on me during the last chapter/drop and when I reload. All my progress is gone and I am like 3 or 4 chapters behind.

I don't feel like replaying the chapters again zzzzz

I restarted in easy mode and rushed though the endings lol. Now to play Ayane bonus mode, thanks Nintendo for asking for her addition =P

Last edited:
I really hope this game sells okay so that the series can continue. The series has had poor sales for some time now and it would be a huge loss to gaming if it were to be retired for good.

It's really a unique and special IP and I would absolutely love to see a Fatal Frame 6.

It might be too early to ask this but did anyone get the physical edition and does it include either voice or subtitles in English without an update?

I've seen it mentioned in the product description that English is only available via an update, but read people say the same was said for other Asia/Japan games but an update wasn't required.

It might be too early to ask this but did anyone get the physical edition and does it include either voice or subtitles in English without an update?

I've seen it mentioned in the product description that English is only available via an update, but read people say the same was said for other Asia/Japan games but an update wasn't required.

From what I understand, the Japanese Switch physical edition does not include any English on the cart itself. English is only available through an update.

There is no English support whatsoever for the Japanese PS4 version.

Quoted by: 2B

Back
Top Bottom