• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Princess Peach: Showtime! |ST| Trust the Princess

On the lower right corner it tells you to press 'x' for instructions, it's easy to miss, though!
I actually did notice it and pressed it, but from what it said, I thought that was just 'overall controlls for Mermaid Peach', about her gameplay when she could move. Rather than specifically for THIS sequence ._.

... I swear I can play video games, I promise!

I cleared the 4th floor just now and the basement stuff with it. Definitely my favorite floor so far as I only had to replay two levels. The more traditional action game ones, the ninja and thief, were definitely my favorites here plus finally Kung Fu Peach was neat. Not sure if it’ll happen tonight, 50/50 if I’m crashing early or will get a second wind, but I’m looking forward to wrapping this up. I don’t know where I’ll land on it, but even so I’m glad Peach finally got an at least solid game.

It's good to see the impressions here have been positive. I might pick this up when I'm not so busy with other games.

Had to make one last trip through the Kung Fu levels before I moved on to my next Switch game, so good:
rKYaT2E.gif

PPS comes in at third for UK sales.

It's behind FC24 (which I believe is being discounted atm) and Dragon's Dogma 2.

Obviously I don't think this counts digital, and PPS was top of the UK eShop IIRC. Hopefully this will all amount to a respectable opening week.

Edit: Huh. I didn't realise this was a few days old already.

Last edited:
I just finished this tonight with 100% completion before credits roll. I find it a little hard to recommend, but I had a fun time with it and I really liked the ending.

Magical Girl Peach!!!

If you are going for 100% in particular, which I can’t not do in a Nintendo platformer, the collectibles in this game are mean. Some have tight windows to nab and are not always easy to spot. The virtually complete lack of checkpoints in stages makes it easy to miss just one which means you might need to play a level a few times to nab them all. I definitely got better at anticipating collectibles, but there were only a few stages I completed on my first try.

But when it wasn’t frustrating me there, the game has a cute, fun vibe similar to Kirby games. Just beating the game isn’t too demanding and I had a good time with certain transformations especially, Ninja, Thief, Mermaid, Kung Fu, and Figure Skater, as well as beating the boss battles. The presentation is definitely the best part with exciting animations and some cool sequences. While I’d find it a little hard to recommend, I do think the game is solid and if you were interested already you’ll probably have a good enough time.

In my heart, this is a 9/10 game. It's given Peach her own slice of the Mario universe which is all her own - her own aesthetic, her own antagonist, her own style etc.

Taking my heart out of the equation though, I think the 75 on Metacritic is absolutely fair. It's a good game, great occasionally - but there are enough definable flaws that hold it back.

Wife started playing this tonight, finished the first cowgirl level. I've had to walk her through certain concepts like parrying and wall jumping, and she's struggled a bit with some of the bosses, but she seems to be getting the hang of it. This definitely feels like a good introduction to action games for less experienced players. We also found out that dying repeatedly in the same level offers you the chance to mark the level complete at the cost of every coin obtained, which might be helpful for later levels.

Finished the game and it's a bit disappointing to see the post-game 100% rewards are just an endless variety of dresses, ah well. Fun experience but definitely a bit hollow.

Got sent a survey about the game. Nothing incredibly interesting to see, but some things they clearly want to see feedback on:
  • Asked about how often I play Mario games. Specifically they mention Super Mario platformers, RPGs, Sports, Kart and Party as sub-series.
  • Asked if i've seen the Mario Movie (and a later question about what influenced my decision to get the game included the movie as an option).
  • Asked how I felt about certain Mario characters: Mario, Luigi, Peach, but notably Daisy and Rosalina. Those last two stood out in such a small selection that didn't even include Toad, Yoshi, Bowser, etc.
  • Asked if I played the demo and what influence it had on my decision to purchase the game.
  • Asked if I liked certain elements of the game: Peach being the protagonist, the new characters created for the game, the customisable dresses / ribbons, the collectibles, the gameplay variety, the theater theming, etc.
  • Asked what I preferred more, Cool vs Cute transformations, and Action vs Relaxed gameplay for certain transformations.
  • Asked for detailed written feedback on the difficulty level of the game (as well as a general ranking of if it was too easy, just right, etc).
Also not a single mention of Super Princess Peach anywhere (expected since they’ve avoiding mentioning it in the marketing, but usually these types of surveys like to ask about past installments / similar games; that was just taken up with the Mario stuff on this one).

Last edited:
Finished the game earlier this week, I absolutely loved it!

I especially loved
how over the top the entire Radiant Peach sequence was, seeing Peach flying around and shooting giant death beams out of her hands was totally anime. Definitely a highlight of the whole game for me haha

I’m finally getting around to playing more of this, and while I’m enjoying it…the fact that you have to replay levels in their entirety to get anything that you missed is really, really grating. I’m currently on A Snow Flower on Ice and I keep missing one Sparkle Gem at a part that I can’t figure out how to beat, and having to replay this whole intro every single time—and with no option to skip any text or cutscenes aside from the short pre-rendered transformation video—just to get a chance to try again is kind of infuriating. Does it really not get any better later in the game in that regard?

I’m finally getting around to playing more of this, and while I’m enjoying it…the fact that you have to replay levels in their entirety to get anything that you missed is really, really grating. I’m currently on A Snow Flower on Ice and I keep missing one Sparkle Gem at a part that I can’t figure out how to beat, and having to replay this whole intro every single time—and with no option to skip any text or cutscenes aside from the short pre-rendered transformation video—just to get a chance to try again is kind of infuriating. Does it really not get any better later in the game in that regard?

No, and it's one of the major flaws with the game.

It doesn't help that there isn't always a sign of when you go to a point of no return, so to speak.

Technically no, but you might get better at anticipating how they handle them. As it went on, it was more often I’d get everything first try. Helps the stages get shorter-ish too as you go.

Only slight tip is if the challenge is an auto-scroller in particular where you can take a death (ie get crushed or fall down a pit) you can retry those challenges at least, but those are rare.

At the release of the game and in the reviews, the discussion revolved around the level of difficulty of the game. After finishing it and seeing children finish it too I think it’s not really the subject after all.

The problem is not that the game is not difficult in my opinion. The problem is that there are times when it is played by itself, which is not the same thing and it is already something that had bothered me a lot with certain sequences of Mario Wonder. Being accessible is not the same as being automatic.

Of course it’s not about the whole game at all, it would be totally unfair to say that given the great qualities of the game, but typically, fights for example consist of constantly spamming the same button and waiting for things to happen, the detective costume, also very well visually and very successful, basically asks us not to do much and wait for it to happen.

Even for an introduction to video games, even for a peaceful and quiet experience, even with accessibility in mind, I find this extremely passive and I think there was a way to fulfill all these goals without giving up completely a whole part of what makes a gaming experience.

In short, I find that benevolence is excessive about this game, which does not imply a second to deny everything else he does very well, neither his creativity, nor his artistic style.

Started playing this and enjoying it through the couple hours I've put in so far. I'll agree that it is obnoxious trying to go back for stuff that you missed though. A lot of really creative sequences though, and I'm super thrilled about the music being pretty good after the abomination that was crafted worlds ost.

Finished this up a few days ago, it was pretty good. The transformations don’t have a ton of depth so the game started to drag in the latter half. That said, I did appreciate the variety and the game worked well being played 40 or so minutes a day. The game ends on a high note as well with a pretty sweet final boss fight and sequence for Peach, it honestly kinda reminded me of Kirby Star Allies.

I think Kirby is actually a pretty good comparison in that it also has a ton of variety in its gameplay. I think Kirbs is generally more fun, but HAL has had a million games to refine the move sets. I doubt we’ll get a sequel to Showtime!, but there is a lot of potential imo. I think my opinion on this game will only grow over time.

Finished this up a few days ago, it was pretty good. The transformations don’t have a ton of depth so the game started to drag in the latter half. That said, I did appreciate the variety and the game worked well being played 40 or so minutes a day. The game ends on a high note as well with a pretty sweet final boss fight and sequence for Peach, it honestly kinda reminded me of Kirby Star Allies.

I think Kirby is actually a pretty good comparison in that it also has a ton of variety in its gameplay. I think Kirbs is generally more fun, but HAL has had a million games to refine the move sets. I doubt we’ll get a sequel to Showtime!, but there is a lot of potential imo. I think my opinion on this game will only grow over time.
I thought of Kirby, too, and the finale's escalation in particular made me make that comparison again.

I actually thought the game got better the longer I played, but that was mostly because the levels felt shorter, got into the transformations faster, and the themes were evolving. (Didn't expect the theming of the second Patisserie level, for example.) I'm sure the more slowly paced opening makes it more approachable, but I wish every level was 5-10 minutes max.

I hope we get Radiant Peach as a Smash Bros. costume. Also, this is not what Mario is about, but I wonder how the power level of Super Radiant Peach compares to Rosalina. I noticed Super Radiant Peach has god-like powers, so it felt like Peach was finally catching up.

Coming here again as I also 100% this as well and I have some thoughts:

That one poster was right. 100% this game was a nightmare. So many frustrations over the simplest of things such as collecting a gem, they could easily add a rewind or checkpoint feature. But, with all that said, I am glad to have beat this game once and for all!

Back
Top Bottom