• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews Princess Peach: Showtime! | Review Thread

mazi

picross pundit
Metacritic (75)
OpenCritic (76)

VG247 (5/5):
Peach’s foray onto the stage is is full of whimsy and many moments of sheer joy, just as 2023's Super Mario Wonder is, but the difference is that this is Peach’s game – and hers alone. Despite the Sour Bunch trying to sully the Sparkle Theater’s reputation, Princess Peach is here - as a Cowgirl, Ninja, Detective, and so forth - to put a stop to that. And she puts on a wonderful, replayable, empowering performance while doing so.

Screen Rant (4.5/5):
Overall, Princess Peach: Showtime! is an extremely enjoyable game, offers a significant amount of content, and is something that could be enjoyed by anyone.

CGMagazine (8.5/10):
Princess Peach: Showtime! is an easy-to-understand, incredibly fun-to-play game with a style and charm that is sure to delight.

WellPlayed (8.5/10):
With its emphasis on action, exploration, and a heaped helping of theatricality, Princess Peach: Showtime! showcases that our dear Princess is more than comfortable in the spotlight. If the odd performance issues subside, it may just be ready for a standing ovation.

Eurogamer (4/5):
Nintendo's second-ever Peach game finally realises the character is destined for smart level design and center stage.

Vooks (4/5):
Princess Peach: Showtime! is an enjoyable little game that doesn’t push the boundaries but does most things quite well. It’s more like a Kirby game than a Mario game, for better and for worse, and while it has its sore points, there’s a heck of a lot of enjoyment to be had if you lean into it and take it for what it is.

God is a Geek (8/10):
Princess Peach: Showtime is a lovely time full of clever ideas, and a great way for Peach to make her solo debut.

Nintendo Life (8/10):
Princess Peach: Showtime! sees Nintendo finally give everyone's favourite imaginary princess the rollicking adventure she deserves. We had expected a rather throwaway offering here, a bunch of minigames and Mario-lite platforming maybe, but what we've got is one of the better kid-focused games on Switch. There's creativity, style, and fun to spare here, with levels packed full of secrets, cool outfits, and enough new mechanics to ensure nothing ever outstays its welcome. Come for the fashion, stay for the boss battles, slo-mo bullet dodges, and cardboard horse chases. Besides a few niggling performance issues, this is Nintendo on rather cracking form. Encore!

VGC (4/5):
Full of personality and variety, Princess Peach Showtime delivers a performance that’s better than the sum of its parts, with some shallow mechanics lost in the glitz of its cabaret show. The challenge is definitely geared towards youngsters, but even experienced players will find it difficult not to be charmed.

Checkpoint Gaming (8/10):
Princess Peach: Showtime! finally gives our first Nintendo Diva the spotlight she has long deserved, and almost shockingly, once again brings us a Nintendo experience that feels both comfortably familiar and thrillingly different. Despite some weird frame-rate issues and a few costume changes that are less memorable than others, the amount of charm and satisfying simplicity oozing out of Princess Peach: Showtime! makes it a stage performance worthy of applause and adoration. Let's hope this first true starring role for Peach isn't her last.

Destructoid (8/10):
I was pleasantly surprised by Princess Peach: Showtime, and the aforementioned unpredictability is a huge reason why it will likely remain in my permanent rotation of Mario games going forward.

Press Start (7.5/10):
Despite its technical woes and pervasive simplicity, there's just enough of a spark in Princess Peach Showtime! that it had won me over by the time the curtains closed. It might not be deserving of a standing ovation but it's certainly got the stage presence to attract an audience. It's good, light, family fun that's consistently charming and perfectly cast.

COGconnected (72/100):
Maybe this comes off as unfocused or contradictory. I had fun, but Showtime failed to hook me somehow. The stage variety is both a weakness and a strength. I like switching between concepts so frequently. But this comes with a cost, namely a depth deficiency. You’ve got tons of mechanics that take no time to learn. Stages oscillate between easy and enraging. There’s a giant list of collectibles that come in exactly two varieties. Even so, the raw concept is still cool. Giving Peach a whole closet full of roles is a great idea, albeit one I wanted more out of. If you give Princess Peach: Showtime! a chance, who knows? You might have a pretty good time.

IGN (7/10):
Princess Peach: Showtime! is more closely aligned with Kirby and Yoshi’s simple, cheery romps rather than Mario’s polished platformers and Luigi’s haunted mansions. There’s fun to be found in the Sparkle Theater, as these delightfully simplified takes on some of gaming’s most popular genres are entertaining to blast through, and the whimsical stage play aesthetic gives Peach’s game an identity all its own. I’m also thrilled that Nintendo is finally giving Peach another crack at her own solo outing after nearly two decades, and I hope this is the start of an ongoing spinoff series within the wider Mario universe. Some noticeable performance issues and the frustrating lack of a chapter select means I won’t be returning for an encore, and I wish there were a few extra levels to lengthen the somewhat brief campaign, but Nintendo and Princess Peach at least know how to put on a good show.

GameSpot (7/10):
Princess Peach Showtime is a breezy exploration of genres aimed at novice gamers.

TheSixthAxis (7/10):
Princess Peach: Showtime! is a good game, but It will not be for everyone and those with decent gaming experience won't find a challenge here... but that isn't the point. This foray with Peach into acting scratches that itch of a game that is just a fun little time within minimal stress or worry – something we all need right now. Peach's adventure isn't anything groundbreaking, but the commitment to its theming and spades of the classic Nintendo charm make it worth sticking with until the curtain call.

GamesRadar (3.5/5):
Showtime is completely entertaining from top to bottom, but while it has enough variety to avoid ever becoming boring, it doesn't have the depth for much lasting appeal. But hey, in a world where video games are demanding more and more of my time and energy, there's something to be said for an experience that cuts the filler to deliver polished charm in spades. Princess Peach: Showtime may not be an all-encompassing production, but the entire troupe has given its all to make sure the crowd goes home happy.

Stevivor (6/10):
While Super Princess Peach on the DS was criticised for reducing a female lead to being very literally controlled by her emotions, Princess Peach Showtime only works to allow her to embody so many different roles because there isn’t really a defined character underneath it all. For all its faults, 2023’s Super Mario Brothers Movie at least gave us a Peach who was driven, confident and capable – if Nintendo needs tips on how to build a Princess who could helm a game on her own, they should just ask Anya Taylor-Joy for tips. For now, I don’t see Showtime making it to Broadway – but I might still check out the matinee if there’s nothing else going on.

Metro GameCentral (5/10):
A disappointingly shallow and unfocused adventure that is aimed solely at a young audience - and even they’re likely to feel somewhat bored and patronised by the end.

Last edited:
Trying to go into the game semi-blind so I won't read the full reviews now but glad to see it's not an unexpected bomb.

Nice to see Princess Peach: Showtime! scoring well though I was going to buy it anyway.

Announce the Amiibo already. I need more plastic things in my house. Please ignore that I also complain about running out of space for physical games.

great scores tbqh, a lot of 7s and 8s

Lol Nintendo
they really should stop doing this. is this all because they want people to think of all first party games as "nintendo games"? it's fucked up that they want to diminish the role of their 3rd party partners.

"It's easy so it must be a games for younger gamers". This statement is so wrong yet the reviewers keep repeating it. Why should something easy needs to be younger gamers? Do people know what young gamers under 10 play these days? Or similarly, why can't adults play something easy and relaxing once in a while?

Personally, my childhood days were filled with challenging stuff like Contra, TMNT or Batman games. As an adult, I always choose the easiest option in games to save time. I still appreciate some challenge but I certainly welcome relaxing games in between. I need games like Showtime.

would have probably got even higher, but performance issues and difficulty seems to be the main negatives

so more on the developer thing, i just checked all the reviews linked in the OP and only one of them mentions good-feel (thesixthaxis in the little info box).

i don't really know what's going on with that VGC review where they say they were prohibited from mentioning good-feel. personally i've heard EU reviewers didn’t have this restriction.

edit: here's a dutch review that mentions good-feel 6 times, lol

Last edited:
I know we don’t like to bomb reviewers for their opinion but how does one judge, as a grown adult mind you, that kids would get bored of a game easily? My anecdote to counter this is that my 5 year old niece can watch the same 3 cocomelon songs on repeat for hours a day. Just my 2 cents ✌🏿

"It's easy so it must be a games for younger gamers". This statement is so wrong yet the reviewers keep repeating it. Why should something easy needs to be younger gamers? Do people know what young gamers under 10 play these days? Or similarly, why can't adults play something easy and relaxing once in a while?

Personally, my childhood days were filled with challenging stuff like Contra, TMNT or Batman games. As an adult, I always choose the easiest option in games to save time. I still appreciate some challenge but I certainly welcome relaxing games in between. I need games like Showtime.
There's a huge difference what a 9 years old kid would play versus a 4 yo one.
My niece is 5 and she wouldn't touch a difficult game with a tenfoot pole.
I assume this one was made for ages 3-6 in mind. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
There's a guge difference what a 9 years old kid would play versus a 4 yo one.
My niece is 5 and she wouldn't touch a difficult game with a tenfoot pole.
I assume this one was made for ages 3-6 in mind. And there's nothing wrong with that.
I don't have kids but I wouldn't be ok with kids under 6 to play video games so I assumed "kids" are over 6-7. But every parent out there are ok with it, so I can't say much about it.

I don't have kids but I wouldn't be ok with kids under 6 to play video games so I assumed "kids" are over 6-7. But every parent out there are ok with it, so I can't say much about it.

As a father of three let me tell you that ones "ideal scenario" of how to raise children before having them, and the actual scenario after having them are basically a real life example of "fiction" and "reality". ;]

Of course, our two youngest ones are about to hit those teenage years, but even well before, the Mrs. and I were happy when they peacfully played a game and occupated themselves once in a while.
Everything in moderation of course, and only after chores and homework are done.

I know we don’t like to bomb reviewers for their opinion but how does one judge, as a grown adult mind you, that kids would get bored of a game easily? My anecdote to counter this is that my 5 year old niece can watch the same 3 cocomelon songs on repeat for hours a day. Just my 2 cents ✌🏿

It really depends on the kid and on how they feel in that particular moment. They could quickly get bored of something they've been bothering the parents for, for days, and at the same time be absolutely mesmerized by the most random thing, for days too.

As a father of three let me tell you that ones "ideal scenario" of how to raise children before having them, and the actual scenario after having them are basically a real life example of "fiction" and "reality". ;]
Hehe, I get what you mean. My wife and I can't have children in natural ways so we're looking into adopting when one of us retires. Mine should be closer than hers and with a dad 7-24 home, maaaybe that "idea scenario" could be the real one, huh?

In best cast scenario, the reviewer has kids or access to kids who're into games and can test that theory. In general I think it's a pretty weak criticism when people say stuff like that for games like Kirby or Yoshi. There are adults who get big sucked into these kinds of games, and there are kids doing crazy complex shit in games like Minecraft and Roblox that I would never have the patience to do.

Can't help but think that Nintendo probably would've expected more, but at the same time they gave the development to Mid Games, Inc. so probably knew what they were going to get. It seems like kids will have a decent game to play, and we have a great theme for the website, so it's still a win!

it's metrogame central, they are always like this

I wish you all would respect Nintendo's wishes and not just say some other developers names. I will wait for Nintendo to confirm.

Feels a little harsh to label a dev that has consistently put out 7/10 plus experiences on Nintendo consoles as mid.

This isn't Arzest we're talking about here.

Edit: Also, mid is a stupid term.

so more on the developer thing, i just checked all the reviews linked in the OP and only one of them mentions good-feel (thesixthaxis in the little info box).

i don't really know what's going on with that VGC review where they say they were prohibited from mentioning good-feel. personally i've heard EU reviewers didn’t have this restriction.

edit: here's a dutch review that mentions good-feel 6 times, lol
Ok, so it seems like an NoA thing. God, NoA marketing brass are so stupid.

This and that stupid "The [Noun] Game" and the "Nintendo Switch Family of systems."

For some reason when I opened Metacritic the front page said the score was like 64 lol. But yeah these scores don't seem surprising, I was optimistic that it might be a bit higher but overall it still seems like it will be a fun time

I'm not too interested in the difficulty / "it's for kids" discourse tbh

Mid-to-high 70s is about what I expected considering the dev team’s history. I’m in.

they really should stop doing this. is this all because they want people to think of all first party games as "nintendo games"? it's fucked up that they want to diminish the role of their 3rd party partners.
I doubt it’s that they want to diminish their 3rd parties. Might be an attempt to prevent poaching like was done in the 80s, protect their partners from ravenous internet folks, or even to obscure where people should be prodding for leaks. I’m not sure how effective it actually is but I don’t think this is being done with malicious intent.

I’m certainly leaning more towards the latter given how this seems to be more of a recent trend and we’ve got new hardware coming soon

Feels a little harsh to label a dev that has consistently put out 7/10 plus experiences on Nintendo consoles as mid.

This isn't Arzest we're talking about here.

Edit: Also, mid is a stupid term.
Honestly maybe it's dumb but I always consider mid more like a 6/10 or 7/10 than something truly in the middle. Mid in my mind is something that's so barely good it's "mid". If something is a 5/10, then that's just flatout mediocre, which is somewhat bad. So actually I'd say a consistent 7/10 developer is pretty much what I think of as mid.

Can't help but think that Nintendo probably would've expected more, but at the same time they gave the development to Mid Games, Inc. so probably knew what they were going to get. It seems like kids will have a decent game to play, and we have a great theme for the website, so it's still a win!
I'm not going to suggest Good-Feel puts out bangers all the time, but really?

Hehe, I get what you mean. My wife and I can't have children in natural ways so we're looking into adopting when one of us retires. Mine should be closer than hers and with a dad 7-24 home, maaaybe that "idea scenario" could be the real one, huh?

First of all, sorry to hear that about you and your wife. I hope you didn't mind my post. But, nothing but respect if you two end up giving an adoption child a loving home, family and future.

Now for the latter part of your post: Ahahahahahaha ... no. ;]

Children are a whirlwind that upend your life. So you're going to change minds on your own ... usually. The first time you hold them in your arms, the first time they look at you with their big eyes ... that's moments that change lives, minds and persons.
But even if you end up keeping a strong will, you will need to make compromises between your line and intention of raising a kid and the kids actual wants.

Yes, that part caught me off guard. I'm used to internet nerds fighting over cartoons or Pokemon games or whatever pulling the "my opinion is X and by god i assure you kids would agree with me" card but seeing it in a review is humorous.

Not surprising at all. Nintendo games pretty much never review as low 70s unless they’re sports games low on content, Pokemon spinoffs, or really bad casual games.

I feel like this is legitimately disrespectful and I have no clue why they've started doing this in recent years.
it's a shitty brand management decision, to associate all nintendo games with nintendo singularly, regardless of the individual teams/devs that actually did the work

Thats like 2-3 Portals. How is that “very short”?
Because there's no depth to the gameplay either. What you played in the demo is pretty accurate of the entire game.

Each costume barely gets time to shine or develop.

Nah, this one ain't it guys. I wanted it to be.

Like it really, actually is a game they made strictly for children. Like it actually is.

Last edited:

Because in this case, it really is a game for children, anyone who plays it realizes that. This is not a game like Gris where it is easy for you to enjoy the art and visuals.

Back
Top Bottom