• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Pokémon Legends: Arceus |ST| Breath of the Wild Area

Who did you choose to be your partner Pokemon?

• Total voters
No idea about Spiritomb who would likely be locked, but you can encounter evolutions like Kleavor that previously you could only get through evolution

No idea about Spiritomb who would likely be locked, but you can encounter evolutions like Kleavor that previously you could only get through evolution
I experienced a Spiritomb Massive Mass Outbreak. However the 4 were extremely aggressive and almost killed me instantly when I arrived, so I gave up (since I already got it).

I do appreciate that you can just cheese them and reset with a fully healed team back to however many health bar segments you already destroyed.
It definitely feels like the kind of thing they do only because they have zero expectation of Pokémon players' ability to play action games. Not that I mind it, since I'd be the guy they'd be thinking of.

It definitely feels like the kind of thing they do only because they have zero expectation of Pokémon players' ability to play action games. Not that I mind it, since I'd be the guy they'd be thinking of.
It's also a good option for kids, who comprise a large part of the audience. Nice way to self regulate difficulty, if you're stuck on a fight you can take the continues

I haven’t had any trouble with the boss fights. I had to retry a few times on a few bosses, but they haven’t been what I would call “hard”

so we all agree the boss battles suck in this game right
I enjoyed them well enough. It's no Dark Souls (except when it is, looking at you (final final boss spoilers) Arceus) but it's fun enough for what it is. Controls could stand to be a lot slicker though for the action segments, that's probably my main complaint against them.

Kleavor is whatever, but it's the first. I enjoyed the rest of the fights, with Electrode and Avalugg as standouts.

So, after over 50 hours, I've finally reached the credits roll.

Even knowing that there's more after this and that this isn't the true ending, I won't lie, the ending is a little anticlimactic. It is very obvious how Game Freak cuts corners with the presentation of the story and the framing of their cutscenes, and I hope Scarlet and Violet improve on that front. Nice ending pic at least. Still, I'm ready for postgame content now.

I’m never going to finish this game with how distracted I keep getting. I was just about to report to Kamado about ending Arcanine’s frenzy so I could move onto the fourth area, and happened to notice there was an outbreak of Pikachus in the fieldlands, so I darted over there to check it out. And I CAUGHT MY FIRST WILD SHINY! Perfect start to my session.

On another side note, I’m going to try to finish up the mainline story this weekend. I really want to have this wrapped up and play through MM on NSO before Kirby comes out.

I’ve been playing since launch with 95 hours logged; and DLC/updates are already starting to roll out, so it’s definitely time to join everyone else in postgame.

The free dlc story questline was amazing, felt like a delta/postgame story episode and wraps some characters up. Cool to play through a 1 more smol adventure.

I'm enjoying the gameplay, kinda afraid it gets to repetitive, currently 13 hours in and just fought the first alpha,

Dialogues are a HUGE chore just skipping everything to get back to the field

I don’t think there’s anything worse than waiting for distortions. They are the worst part of the game by far.

This is such a nice game to have on the backburner now that I've completed the main game. Fun to dip into as a palette cleanser in portable mode, as I did on a flight yesterday

Dialogues are a HUGE chore just skipping everything to get back to the field
Tbh I am still dumbfounded by these takes. I wonder if it's a case of the vocal minority situation because I really had no problem with the story in this and enjoyed it save for the fade to black because we didn't want to animate moments. Nothing against you personally of course, different strokes, but I heard this a lot during the games first couple weeks and didn't share the sentiment aside from perhaps the chats at the restaurant at the end of each day.

Tbh I am still dumbfounded by these takes. I wonder if it's a case of the vocal minority situation because I really had no problem with the story in this and enjoyed it save for the fade to black because we didn't want to animate moments. Nothing against you personally of course, different strokes, but I heard this a lot during the games first couple weeks and didn't share the sentiment aside from perhaps the chats at the restaurant at the end of each day.
I'm a pretty big fan of this series and would be first in line to praise a well written pokemon game; there's a lot of potential for interesting stories to be told in this universe. but this game has nothing to say, and takes its sweet time doing so. it's baffling to me that they keep putting these stories front and center with how terribly told they are

I'm a pretty big fan of this series and would be first in line to praise a well written pokemon game; there's a lot of potential for interesting stories to be told in this universe. but this game has nothing to say, and takes its sweet time doing so. it's baffling to me that they keep putting these stories front and center with how terribly told they are
I agree that it's not a well-told story, but I disagree with the notion that it's a chore to get through. It felt in line with anime filler episodes to me, especially the side-quests. Very much comfort food. Enough to string things together, but smart though to stay out of the way outside of major events. It definitely was uneven though and you can feel how it is sort of patched up around the gameplay mechanics.

I'd give the story a 6 or 7 / 10, but I'm glad it's there.

I don't think the story is anything to write home about, but if nothing else there's at least less mandatory dialogue than other recent games in the series, and the lack of a dedicated Team Antagonist (outside of the Miss Fortunes I guess) significantly lowers its interminable and cliché metrics.

yeah no I get it. my comments are usually what I think but not what it is. I have no problems with someone enjoining the story and dialogues of this game.

I agree that it's not a well-told story, but I disagree with the notion that it's a chore to get through. It felt in line with anime filler episodes to me, especially the side-quests. Very much comfort food. Enough to string things together, but smart though to stay out of the way outside of major events. It definitely was uneven though and you can feel how it is sort of patched up around the gameplay mechanics.

I'd give the story a 6 or 7 / 10, but I'm glad it's there.
yeah, that's fair. it's not like I come into these games looking for incredible writing anyway. would be nice if there was a "press plus to skip" option for the dialogue stuff, though

Has anyone had any of their satchels returned? I just lost one with five protection charms in it 😣😭

I think the writing is pretty charming. "Felt like I had a bone stuck in my throat, only the throat's my brain and the bone's a thought!" Some lines are straight from a Sonic NPC.

The tutorial is still a half hour long MINIMUM but at least it doesn't read like edutainment for aliens.

In the fifth area and somehow just now discovered I’m supposed to use my Pokemon to smash the big rocks…I thought I’d get some ability to do that haha

Got lucky last night, I was in the Icelands just checking out mass outbreak spots, and I heard the shiny jingle. It was an Abra...which promptly teleported away. I couldn't remember when I had last saved, but decided to reset anyway. I guess I had saved right before leaving the village, and was able to go back and catch it 👍

Got a shiny Combee tonight, so that’s cool. And it’s female! That makes five shines for me so far, including the free Ponyta.

So my nephew finally got this for his birthday and...he doesn't like it. Which I figured he wouldn't. He says he can't get himself to play it. It's too different from the old formula and doesn't like the missions. Hasn't even got to a boss yet. So now he waits for Scarlet and Violet to release. Other nephew has it but still hasn't played it. Keeps forgetting it released. He'll probably like it because he's older but we'll see. I love the game myself. Still miss gyms and the old story structure though.

Just hit 70 hours and currently focusing on filling out the Dex.

I’m mainly missing the last few legendarys, the Ride Pokémon and Voltorb. Could anyone please give me some hints on how to evolve them? Are they just based on level? Items? Or other special methods?

I’m mainly missing the last few legendarys, the Ride Pokémon and Voltorb. Could anyone please give me some hints on how to evolve them? Are they just based on level? Items? Or other special methods?

Which ones are you missing specifically?

Voltorb evolves with an item now (look at its type). If you're missing Wyrdeer, look at Stantler's research page. Same with Basculin for Basculegion, though that is slightly more obscure (think of the downside of the moves mentioned on the page). Ursaring needs an item to evolve, but it also has to be used on a full moon. Rufflet is by level. Sneasel requires the same item it normally does in the other games, but it's a specific time of day.

Happy to clarify on any of those if you wanted specifics.

Voltorb is a stone evo. Kleavor, Sneasler, and Ursaluna are also items, with the latter two also requiring a specific time of day. Braviary is just leveling. And finally, Wyrdeer and Basculegion are incredibly obscure - they have to do with specific research tasks.

I’m kinda risking getting quickly burned out on this game if I keep playing the way I’m doing I’m afraid. What’s the best way to add to your roster new pokemons/switching them down the road?

It’s hard to drop one you’ve been grooming from your roster especially because most suck moves-wise when you catch them, and the cool ones always seem to be super weak against common moves - mostly water and aerial it seems to me - also I don’t have this great knowledge on pokemons…

I love that you get exp when catching them tho.

I’m past the section where you give back the wall thingie (worded it like this to avoid spoilers and the need for a spoiler tag so that anyway can read and maybe help).

4. Sonic Advance

Was feeling for a new Sonic Game after freedom planet and this fit the bill! Felt great at first but from the midpoint on started getting a bit cheap with the pits and the spike placement. Didn’t have as much personality as the Mega Drive Games and as a result the multiple characters feel a bit simpler. Good game though 🙂

Which ones are you missing specifically?

Voltorb evolves with an item now (look at its type). If you're missing Wyrdeer, look at Stantler's research page. Same with Basculin for Basculegion, though that is slightly more obscure (think of the downside of the moves mentioned on the page). Ursaring needs an item to evolve, but it also has to be used on a full moon. Rufflet is by level. Sneasel requires the same item it normally does in the other games, but it's a specific time of day.

Happy to clarify on any of those if you wanted specifics.

Voltorb is a stone evo. Kleavor, Sneasler, and Ursaluna are also items, with the latter two also requiring a specific time of day. Braviary is just leveling. And finally, Wyrdeer and Basculegion are incredibly obscure - they have to do with specific research tasks.
That’s perfect, should give me enough to go on! Thank you both 😀

Living dex complete! Now I can move on to chasing down the legendaries. After that all I’ve got left to do is the Unowns and rank 10 the dex.

Smh at people who were shitting on the new Palkia form, it looks fierce af

Haven't seen Dialga yet though

So...it is done. The Pokedex is complete. Research Rank 10 for every Pokemon, Full Star Rank, Arceus defeated and Shiny Charm acquired. Outside of bonus trainer fights and the Path of Solitude side missions, I'm done with Legends Arceus after about 80 hours of play time.

This was an interesting one. A single player game that de-emphasizes the usual battling loop in favor of more open exploration and action/stealth elements was a refreshing experience, even after putting in almost the same time into BDSP a few months prior. You can see the cut corners that plague the more recent Pokemon games here - the cutscene direction is probably the most noticable thing (there's a lot of fading to black to disguise not having new animations for specific cutscenes) - but the fact that the game...well, let's you play it with lots of freedom of exploration and pacing makes it more forgivable for me. The loop of exploring, seeing Pokemon, choosing when to engage or not, using stealth and quick throws (and some useful items) to either catch or evade them, made for an engaging loop, only just starting to feel repetitive when I was going for the Shiny Charm.

That being said...I don't know if I would take this over traditional style Pokemon games. I think the pace of encounters is great, and I want things like the better integration of moves/move tutoring, I do prefer the battle system of the usual games, with abilities and held items and the original speed system. The speed priority system in particular - that works really well for making horde encounters with wild Pokemon dangerous, but I'm not the biggest fan when it comes to the Trainer fights, which lose a lot of their strategy when switching is a free action...or a trainer sending in a Pokemon can quickly take out your own.

I don't want this to be the future of Pokemon, not in its entirety, but I enjoyed what I played, and I'd be up for another Legends game in 3-5 years, should Game Freak want to make one. I'm hoping Scarlet and Violet can take some of the popular features from this game, take inspiration from the successes of the Sword and Shield DLC, and deliver a solid experience.

So...it is done. The Pokedex is complete. Research Rank 10 for every Pokemon, Full Star Rank, Arceus defeated and Shiny Charm acquired. Outside of bonus trainer fights and the Path of Solitude side missions, I'm done with Legends Arceus after about 80 hours of play time.

This was an interesting one. A single player game that de-emphasizes the usual battling loop in favor of more open exploration and action/stealth elements was a refreshing experience, even after putting in almost the same time into BDSP a few months prior. You can see the cut corners that plague the more recent Pokemon games here - the cutscene direction is probably the most noticable thing (there's a lot of fading to black to disguise not having new animations for specific cutscenes) - but the fact that the game...well, let's you play it with lots of freedom of exploration and pacing makes it more forgivable for me. The loop of exploring, seeing Pokemon, choosing when to engage or not, using stealth and quick throws (and some useful items) to either catch or evade them, made for an engaging loop, only just starting to feel repetitive when I was going for the Shiny Charm.

That being said...I don't know if I would take this over traditional style Pokemon games. I think the pace of encounters is great, and I want things like the better integration of moves/move tutoring, I do prefer the battle system of the usual games, with abilities and held items and the original speed system. The speed priority system in particular - that works really well for making horde encounters with wild Pokemon dangerous, but I'm not the biggest fan when it comes to the Trainer fights, which lose a lot of their strategy when switching is a free action...or a trainer sending in a Pokemon can quickly take out your own.

I don't want this to be the future of Pokemon, not in its entirety, but I enjoyed what I played, and I'd be up for another Legends game in 3-5 years, should Game Freak want to make one. I'm hoping Scarlet and Violet can take some of the popular features from this game, take inspiration from the successes of the Sword and Shield DLC, and deliver a solid experience.
Congrats, dude! I’m super close to that point also. 70 hours in, and I’ve only got the legendaries and the Unown to collect. 8,000 points away from a rank 10 dex also. Then I’ll be finished with the game.

All in all, this has been my favorite Pokémon game ever. It’s the game I dreamed of when I was eight years old playing Red and Blue in 1999. It’s not perfect, but it’s exactly what I want out of the Pokémon franchise.

Yeah Legends Arceus isn't the game for me, I prefer going from A-B in a Pokemon game and Legends doesn't let me do that without a grind, I don't really explore. I also hate the aiming mechanic and how Pokemon attack you, I would prefer if I run into a Pokemon a battle starts

Back
Top Bottom