• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler Pokémon Brilliant Diamond + Shining Pearl Leak Thread (massive content spoilers inside)

Cautious optimism, I'll probably ask for Diamond or Shield + DLC this Christmas and go from there.

Not sure how to feel about HMs being scrapped entirely and replaced with TMs, though. At least gym leaders give multiple TMs now instead of just the one. Wonder if you can keep challenging them over and over again to get more.

Cautious optimism, I'll probably ask for Diamond or Shield + DLC this Christmas and go from there.

Not sure how to feel about HMs being scrapped entirely and replaced with TMs, though. At least gym leaders give multiple TMs now instead of just the one. Wonder if you can keep challenging them over and over again to get more.

Supposedly you can find the TMs in the underground.

This honestly seems like one of the most pure "Traditional" Pokemon experiences in years - since Black/White 2. It had my curiosity, but now it has my attention.

For the people still doubting the battles music are placeholder, the latest trailer has the proper remixed Wild Pokémon battle theme at around the 0:35 mark

that's not even true, because they update the cartridges post-release to include the patches lol

it's just bitching for the sake of bitching

It's quite bothersome for some people. I'm probably not getting the game, but if I would, I would have to 1- miss the early purchase bonus (Platinum outfits) and 2- hope that the cartridges do get updated, and if/when they do, pray that the one I'm buying is the updated one. I live in Brazil and there is no retail for physical games here, we have to import, which means I'd have no means to check if the cartridge is the right one before it gets to my hands.

Might not be a problem for you or the majority, but if it bothers one person, I don't see why they can't express dissatisfaction without being called out for "bitching".

It's quite bothersome for some people. I'm probably not getting the game, but if I would, I would have to 1- miss the early purchase bonus (Platinum outfits) and 2- hope that the cartridges do get updated, and if/when they do, pray that the one I'm buying is the updated one. I live in Brazil and there is no retail for physical games here, we have to import, which means I'd have no means to check if the cartridge is the right one before it gets to my hands.

Might not be a problem for you or the majority, but if it bothers one person, I don't see why they can't express dissatisfaction without being called out for "bitching".

Why would you miss on any of that? You can just download the patch?

Quoted by: Leo
Supposedly you can find the TMs in the underground.
Hmm, fascinating.

Honestly I'm just as excited by the idea that the original encounter events for Darkrai and Arceus might actually be made available for once.

The EXP stuff is good. Hopefully it's actually true. And same with the TM stuff. Both of those things I found to be overreactions, but that seems to be the norm with Pokemon games.

Veilstone's TMs
i got this from a thread on 4chan.

heres a list of tms you can get in veilstone's department store because i've yet to see anyone post it
TM10 WORK UP
TM13 ICE BEAM
TM14 BLIZZARD
TM15 HYPER BEAM
TM16 LIGHT SCREEN
TM17 PROTECT
TM20 SAFEGUARD
TM21 DAZZLING GLEAM
TM22 SOLAR BEAM
TM24 THUNDERBOLT
TM25 FOCUS BLAST
TM25 THUNDER
TM27 LOW SWEEP
TM29 PSYCHIC
TM32 DOUBLE TEAM
TM33 REFLECT
TM35 FLAMETHROWER
TM38 FIRE BLAST
TM44 REST
TM54 FALSE SWIPE
TM58 ENDURE
TM68 GIGA IMPACT
TM70 FLASH
TM74 GYRO BALL
TM75 SWORDS DANCE
TM83 BULLDOZE
TM89 U-TURN
TM90 SUBSTITUTE

They're all cost about 3k-5k. Really cheap.

Why would you miss on any of that? You can just download the patch?
I buy physical in the mindset of collecting games to be able to play them many years from now. I'm still constantly replaying retro games that I wouldn't be able to access otherwise without resourcing to emulation. Hell, I feel lucky that I have a copy of Platinum and HGSS because I doubt they will ever be made available again, but I can still play them whenever.

I get my case makes for maybe 1% of the audience for Pokémon, but it's still a problem for those people, and, ideally, the game would ship in a complete state like others in the franchise.

I buy physical in the mindset of collecting games to be able to play them many years from now. I'm still constantly replaying retro games that I wouldn't be able to access otherwise without resourcing to emulation. Hell, I feel lucky that I have a copy of Platinum and HGSS because I doubt they will ever be made available again, but I can still play them whenever.

I get my case makes for maybe 1% of the audience for Pokémon, but it's still a problem for those people, and, ideally, the game would ship in a complete state like others in the franchise.

I guess, for this very specific situation. But this applies to like every modern video game. Not really Pokémon specific.

heres a list of tms you can get in veilstone's department store because i've yet to see anyone post it

I remember them being more expensive in the OG, but those were thunder/fire blast/blizzard too

I guess limited TM usage isn't too bad if Flamethrower is 3-5K

No Energy Ball :(

Still, Flamethrower/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Psychic are purchasable, that's all matters.

My general thoughts on things so far:

Walking back infinite use TMs is one of the worst mechanical changes Gen 8 has made and just encourages hoarding.

They have no excuse for Sylveon not being in the game.

Some of the new additions are kind of cool, but don't really replace the stuff that's missing.

The state this game is shipping on the cartridge is completely unacceptable. As much as some don't want to admit it, the contents of the cart are shipped code, and you can't just handwaved issues or missing content, especially when it's this severe (it's sounding like the multiplayer features won't even be complete with the day one patch and this is a Pokémon game) with "there's a day one patch".

real physical games are kinda dead, aren't they? sure, later copies can be more recent, but I imagine they're scarcely complete.

it'd be nice if after support ended games got collector's editions that are complete, but I guess that'd be pretty unrealistic

A lot more than I was expecting honestly.

Also while I get the want for complete games to be on cart, that fight died a long time ago. Day 1 patches are the norm and just aren’t worth criticizing a game for anymore. Network feature yeah sucks those aren’t in at launch.

Day 1 patches are the norm and just aren’t worth criticizing a game for anymore.

Yeah, pretty much every modern video game has a day one patch that is critical enough to the experience you will download it. It's how it goes in the industry now, and since years.

The Darkrai event, accessed through script editing in emulated versions (don't ask me why the screenshot is of such shitty quality). It looks like you access it in the same spot as the original. However, it is pretty incomplete as it is in the leaked version of the game.

0ka63een1ty71.jpg

All origin marks are in BDSP, so you'll probably be able to do both-ways transfers, but at the moment you can't in the leaked version of the game. Probably patch bound once the HOME compatibility drops.

This just isn't true, especially for Nintendo.
I wouldn't say that, a lot of Nintendo games get a lot of patches. Outside of the "live service" games like Animal Crossing, Mario Maker, ARMS, Smash and Splatoon (these are already a ton of games by the way) I can't think of cases with so much missing content Day 1 but a lot of other games have gotten patches that improve performance or add content. For example, Dread recently got the update that fixed a game breaking bug. Breath of the Wild got patches that fixed framerate and other issues.

I wouldn't say that, a lot of Nintendo games get a lot of patches. Outside of the "live service" games like Animal Crossing, Mario Maker, ARMS, Smash and Splatoon (these are already a ton of games by the way) I can't think of cases with so much missing content Day 1 but a lot of other games have gotten patches that improve performance or add content. For example, Dread recently got the update that fixed a game breaking bug. Breath of the Wild got patches that fixed framerate and other issues.
Nintendo games get patches, but not massive day one patches that are necessary to have a proper experience, which is what we're talking about here. By any reasonable standard, the game, as it's shipping on the cartridge is simply not finished, and that's thankfully the exception rather than the rule when it comes to Nintendo.

Also, even by more general standards, the amount of content and features missing from the BDSP cartridge is pretty exceptional.

Yeah, pretty much every modern video game has a day one patch that is critical enough to the experience you will download it. It's how it goes in the industry now, and since years.
A patch to enable online communications and fix minor issues, absolutely.
But since when was it the norm to add things like the title screen, ending cutscene and potentially even some of the proper music in a day one patch? I must be out of touch with what other publishers do I guess.

This game is obviously coming in hot and they didn't want to delay it.

Also, even by more general standards, the amount of content and features missing from the BDSP cartridge is pretty exceptional.
I think it's too varied and subjective a consideration to make judgments like this

all we can agree upon is that it really sucks that games don't get finished before getting manufactured anymore and accept that it's just the state of the industry

I think it's too varied and subjective a consideration to make judgments like this

all we can agree upon is that it really sucks that games don't get finished before getting manufactured anymore and accept that it's just the state of the industry
We can also look at the bright side that tons of glitches/bugs get fixed now I guess.

The biggest issue I have is that sometimes (many times) playing games like Day 1 is a "bad idea" since games get so many fixes nowadays that they become almost completely different games by the end of patches.

But since when was it the norm to add things like the title screen, ending cutscene and potentially even some of the proper music in a day one patch? I must be out of touch with what other publishers do I guess

It is pretty comment indeed. It's not even that big compared to what gets shipped with day one updates now. At least the whole game is playable on the base cartridge.

How early in the game can you access the underground?

And when you do, do certain Pokemon just not show up there until you beat the game? Or can you find any of the first 493 Pokemon there (including starters)?

I used to care about the “but it won’t be on the cart it’s bad for preservation!” argument but at this point I don’t care about like… 20 years into the future, COVID made me just completely unsure about the future and I’m just along for the ride

I’ll digitally download for convenience, I’m fine with all the patches they throw at me. Can’t make myself care anymore. I’m fine for now lol

It is pretty comment indeed. It's not even that big compared to what gets shipped with day one updates now. At least the whole game is playable on the base cartridge.
Only if you completely discount everything that happens after the credits. Also multiplayer.

And when you do, do certain Pokemon just not show up there until you beat the game? Or can you find any of the first 493 Pokemon there (including starters)?
I believe we have seen people find a chikorita so starters should be in there. Also it becomes available after the 2nd gym

Pretty early on. I think it's first or second gym.

Team/movesets updates
Gonna Copy a post I made on era about how much better the base game teams are than in DPPt. People are talking up the rematches(rightfully so they are basically gen 4 competitive sets with some updated moves) but base game stuff is great too.

Honestly people are talking up the rematch teams, but the first battle teams for the gym leaders aren't bad at all, they are greatly improved all around and keep in mind all of these below have EVs now and good natures as opposed to neutral ones and most of them have items now when before they did not.

-Roark's Cranidos gets Bulldoze to screw over Monfernos

-Gardenia's Turtwig gets a Miracle seed and Work up instead of withdraw and her Roserade gets Technician to hit harder instead of natural cure as well as Petal Blizzard instead of Magical Leaf

-Mayelene's Meditite gets Light Clay Light screen to set up as well as Bulk Up instead of meditate, Her Machamp has Low Sweep and Knock off instead of foresight and leer and an Expert Belt and Her Lucario has an Energy Root to make Drain Punch super annoying and Bulk Up to set up

-Crasher Wake has a Damp Rock Quagsire to set up his Swift Swim Floatzel

-Fantina's Drifblim has Will'o'wisp Hex combo and Strength Sap to make it annoying as hell lol, Gengar has a Colbur berry to stop dark attacks and isn't running a physical set unlike DP lol, Mismagius is mostly the same but with an expert belt

-Byron has Bronzor set up trick room now for his slow mons, His steelix has EQ now and replaced Ice fang with Thunder fang for water types, his bastiodon is still bad lol

-Candice's Snover has an Icy Rock for hail, her sneasel is a meme pickpocket set lol, Her Medicham gets rock slide for flying types and has an expert belt, and her Abomasnow gets Aurora Veil as well as EQ, Giga drain and Blizzard

-Volkner has a Shuca Berry Raichu with Surf for coverage and volt switch, His Ambipom has the anti fighting berry, his Octillery has an expert belt and a focus energy sniper crit set and his Luxray has intimidate and steel and ice coverage

For the E4

-Aaron- Dustox has Black Sludge and Moonlight for recovery to toxic stall better, Beautifly has Wiseglasses to boost Special Attack and Quiver Dance to set up, Vespiquen has Sitrus berry and Acrobatics, Flame Orb Guts Heracross with Facade speaks for itself lol, Drapion has Night Slash and EQ now alongside Scope Lens Sniper.

- Bertha's Quagsire has Water Absorb, Leftovers, Toxic and Recover on her Quagsire(annoying as fuck again lol), Her Sudowoodo has Rock Head Head smash with a Sitrus Berry, and it has EQ now, Golem has a much better set with EQ and Stone Edge and Heavy Slam with brightpowder, Whiscash has Rindo Berry Belch combo, and her Hippowdon is Chesto Resto with 3 attacks(sidegrade here)

-Flint has Wide Lens Hypnosis Rapidash with low accuracy high power moves, Life Orb Sheer Force Steelix, Minimize Will'o'wisp, Baton Pass unburden sitrus berry Drifblim(kill me lmao), A Lopunny set with more than just Fire punch to attack like HJK, and his Infernape has iron fist focus sash now.

-Lucian's Mr. mime has Filter now to reduce damage alongside Light Clay Dual Screens and STAB, Muscle Band Medicham with great coverage, Sap Sipper Girafarig with Trick Room, Bronzong with Trick Room and 3 attacks with a Berry(seems to run a lot of low speed natures to for the trick room portion of his team) and he has an Alakazam with Life Orb and Magic Guard.

-Cynthia's 1st team- Spiritomb has a Sitrus berry and sucker punch/Shadow ball now, Roserade has an expert belt and better coverage moves, Gastrodon has Storm Drain and Leftovers and Scald, Her Lucario has a Nasty Plot special set with Wiseglasses, Milotic has Flame Orb Marvel Scale with recover and good attacks and of course the Yache Berry SD Garchomp

TLDR: Game has much better teams even in base game

Base game has EVs, Natures, and held items? If it's IVs, too, this could give USUM a run for its money. But then there aren't totems, so... maybe not.
They do have IVs that increase as the game progresses, by the E4 they have almost perfect IVs and rematch teams all have perfect IVs and EVs

Any info on how the online?
I'm considering buying it if I can battle random online
We know they use Union Rooms but I'm not sure of exactly how they function online, I think it places you in an online room with like 10-15 people and you can interact with them in any way(battle or trade) but not 100 percent sure

The three playthroughs I've seen so far makes it seem like it's really not balanced around the EXP Share, but if it ends up being accurate that it is and those three were just coincidentally overleveled, that alone could change this from a "never" to a "$30 or lower" purchase for me.

Feels like the "reusable TMs make the game too easy" argument doesn't hold much water when the one-offs cost only a token sum and you can buy them before the third/fourth Gym.

The three playthroughs I've seen so far makes it seem like it's really not balanced around the EXP Share, but if it ends up being accurate that it is and those three were just coincidentally overleveled, that alone could change this from a "never" to a "$30 or lower" purchase for me.
I don't think it actually is all the way through. The exp share doesn't immediately overpower you, but you will eventually outpace the Gym Leaders because they kept the original Diamond and Pearl level scaling (which was also atrocious back then). I forget which Gyms it is, but there is a point where there is almost no level difference between two consecutive gyms.

The trade off might be the Elite Four though.

Those team upgrades seem pretty substantial, and a sign that they were focused on more experienced players to at least some extent. It's pretty exciting, as I've mostly been into pokemon single player experiences for the collection aspect lately. A nice change for me!

I forget which Gyms it is, but there is a point where there is almost no level difference between two consecutive gyms.
The third and fourth gyms, Wake and Maylene. This was because either could be done first in DP iirc. (Yes this was back when Pokémon wasn't completely linear.) Though that isn't really an excuse as it shouldn't take much effort to check if you have the other badge and if so switch out the team for a higher levelled one.

Last edited:
Huh what? You can really catch 493 Pokemons in the game?
The first 493 are currently the only ones in the leaked code. It doesn't even include regional forms like Alolan or Galarian forms, nor does it include Sylveon.

Gonna Copy a post I made on era about how much better the base game teams are than in DPPt. People are talking up the rematches(rightfully so they are basically gen 4 competitive sets with some updated moves) but base game stuff is great too.
This sounds pretty promising, along with the post-game stuff. Still going to hold off on a purchase for now and probably watch a playthrough before I try it out myself, though. I just need to see how the level curve works with all of this.

This sounds pretty promising, along with the post-game stuff. Still going to hold off on a purchase for now and probably watch a playthrough before I try it out myself, though. I just need to see how the level curve works with all of this.
My best guess as to the level curve from what I've seen assuming you don't grind, is that it will start out normal, you will be overleveled for the midgame(gym 4-6) and then it will even out in the endgame

Back
Top Bottom