• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Persona 5 Royal |ST| It's Time to Unveil the Hype You've Been Waiting For

Is this your first time playing Persona 5?

• Total voters
Two days ago I clocked at 92h before what I thought was the last boss of the base game. I was wrong... Im over 100h and still going 😲 I need to finish everything for my final judgement, but I think that's the weakest storyline in persona games. I dont remember 3 & 4 because I played them ages ago, but I was more impressed if memory serves me right.

In the best way, I thought I was at the end of Royal like 5 times lmao. It’s the game that keeps on giving (seriously the Royal stuff is
maybe the best)

Anyone playing Persona 5 Tactica? I decided to try completing the Switch 'P5' trilogy this year and started P5T.

Some might dislike the chibi artstyle and personally, I would have preferred it if they kept the OG models too. But then again, the start of the story was a bit more comedic (appropriate for the chibi look) and on the practical side, the stockier chibi models probably made the characters more visible on the battle field.

Just reached the third world. The game is around... 40% tactics, 10% preparations (fiddling with skill trees and fusing personas) and 50% story. There's so much story. Gameplay-wise, it's really fun. It's not going to replace the Square-enix tactics games but it has its own strategic depths. A perfect 'one-more-round' kinda game. It's really hard to put down.

I'm just happy to be hanging out with the Phantom Thieves again. Along with whoever poor soul they dragged along for their adventures. Hopefully, I can roll credits before the end of 2023.

I've got a copy of Tactica sitting in my PS5 waiting for me to finish DQ Monsters and the Pokemon DLC to get to it. Good to hear it's fun! I really like the Phantom Thieves from my first ever playthroughs of 5 Royal and Strikers this year, looking forward to another game with them.

I'd lowkey be very happy if Persona 6 was just another Phantom Thieves game, maybe with Makoto bumped up to joint MC this time.

Well I got back to playing this, but man did I come back to a rough welcome. The (lategame area) Mementos Depths really overstay their welcome including the same outcome - go find the thing so you can now correctly solve the puzzle since you can't the first time. This segment sucks.

That's my biggest frustration with this game; several segments that aren't fun and last too long inbetween all the good stuff. I'm struggling to see how people can call this the greatest RPG ever. I guess I'll have to see, since I know I have a decent chunk of gameplay after this.

That's my biggest frustration with this game; several segments that aren't fun and last too long inbetween all the good stuff. I'm struggling to see how people can call this the greatest RPG ever. I guess I'll have to see, since I know I have a decent chunk of gameplay after this.

I've always felt saying things like that is hyperbole. No denying that it has many ingredients that make it an excellent game and it's certainly an iconic experience. But having played the other two games in the modern Persona era, 5 falls short in so many aspects. I find the bloat in the game, especially this script, to be offensive in how wasteful it is.

Then again, I don't get the hype for Octopath Traveler either. Maybe I'm just a curmudgeon at the tender age of twenty-eight.

I tolerate Mementos Depths because I like the music and the theme but gameplay wise it's kind of a stinker.

I find the bloat in the game, especially this script, to be offensive in how wasteful it is.
Also experiencing that at the moment.

Character: "I wanted to give up but I found hope, hope is what helped me not give up, I used to be weak but now that I have hope I won't run away because I have hope-"

Me mashing the A button 😐 it's a shame the script in these big moments is bloated because I genuinely like the main cast the majority of the time.

The group chats that are part of the main plot definitely drag at times. If I had a nickel for every time this game used the word "cognition," well, I'd have a shit load of nickels.

Welp several hours later I beat the boss and beat the vanilla ending of Persona 5! Now for the Royal extras... 😉

Also Ann and Joker's Christmas scene was really sweet. I retroactively feel sad finding out she doesn't do that well in popularity polls.

I always feel like I'm missing something because so many people have issues with the script in Persona 5 and it never bothered me at all. I didn't even notice anything wrong with it in the first place, honestly. And I'm also the weirdo who didn't think the game was bloated at all and would happily have played another semester - even after 140 hours of Royal :p.

Now, greatest RPG of all time? That's a very tough call and I don't think I could give it that. Top 5, absolutely. But I'd have to think very long and hard about what made up the actual Top 5.

The group chats that are part of the main plot definitely drag at times. If I had a nickel for every time this game used the word "cognition," well, I'd have a shit load of nickels.
This together with Ryuji's "for real?!" really gets annoying at later stages of the game.

The script in P5 is definitely bloated at times and some dungeons overstay their welcome, but I’m reasonably certain P5R is my favorite RPG. Best? I don’t know if I can make that evaluation, but the gameplay, presentation, story, and music all come together to make a game that speaks very much to my sensibilities. As someone who nowadays often struggles to even finish games they like, the fact that I played through both vanilla P5 (100 hours) and P5R (135 hours) and still felt like playing more, is the highest praise I can give.

Warts and all, I think it’s a very special game and it resonated on a level 3 and 4 never did for me.

I didn't find Mementos a chore... but then again, I was always slightly overlevelled. So most of the time, I'm just ramming Morgana into those poor shadows for instant kills (and getting even more overlevelled).

Well I'm getting into the Royal part of the story finally, and it's really good so far. I think Sumire's cutscene may have been one of the most impactful in the entire game.

Well I'm getting into the Royal part of the story finally, and it's really good so far. I think Sumire's cutscene may have been one of the most impactful in the entire game.
That bit genuinely surprised me, and also works really well explaining a lot of how that character is throughout the game and several other things that click into place. That whole section was wonderful, plus you also get the incredible edgelord Akechinavigator

I should be finishing two other games but... P5R has basically taken over my life this weekend on a whim. I just beat Madarame's Palace this morning. I am having a blast.

The Royal ending really is some of the best stuff in the game. Great palace, the high-level encounters are a lot of fun and that music.

I didn't find Mementos a chore... but then again, I was always slightly overlevelled. So most of the time, I'm just ramming Morgana into those poor shadows for instant kills (and getting even more overlevelled).

I was thundering through here and didn’t know about the nigh on unkillable bad dude that roams around after a while. Can you fast travel out of mementos btw? I’ve had such a gap in sessions I forgot!

What’s going on with me. I was doing the bank palace when Joker got one shifted by something so I decided to take a break.

REALLY hoping I haven’t missed the Royal content cut off. I’m assuming my free time I have to pour into those characters.

I was thundering through here and didn’t know about the nigh on unkillable bad dude that roams around after a while. Can you fast travel out of mementos btw? I’ve had such a gap in sessions I forgot!

What’s going on with me. I was doing the bank palace when Joker got one shifted by something so I decided to take a break.

REALLY hoping I haven’t missed the Royal content cut off. I’m assuming my free time I have to pour into those characters.
I used a spoiler-free guide for it and regretted nothing (although I did already know one major spoiler going in, the others were fine)

they'll probably have the budget for both this time around lol
A Persona game that involves more travel kind of like how they envisioned P5 originally could be interesting. I know they sort of ended up using that idea for P5Strikers, but that was more level-based - I'd be really interested in how they might do multiple cities/towns while still on the full calendar system. There are just so many different things they could do with Persona 6 that we just won't know until we finally see it. And I have a hard time seeing it being revealed before Metaphor is out later this year.

A Persona game that involves more travel kind of like how they envisioned P5 originally could be interesting. I know they sort of ended up using that idea for P5Strikers, but that was more level-based - I'd be really interested in how they might do multiple cities/towns while still on the full calendar system. There are just so many different things they could do with Persona 6 that we just won't know until we finally see it. And I have a hard time seeing it being revealed before Metaphor is out later this year.
my idea was just one smaller town, one larger city, with the example I was thinking of being Boston/a small New England town and you travel back and forth between the two via a train or something

Seeing as how Persona 3 is getting DLC, I'm willing to bet we'll get news on P6 next year. Maybe on the series' 26th anniversary in July?
Next year or very late this year seems most likely. Which is kind of wild to think about when we got reports that P6 was originally supposed to be revealed during the "Year of Persona" event which will be more than two years over by then

If you’re only at the bank you have a while before the cutoff.

Next year or very late this year seems most likely. Which is kind of wild to think about when we got reports that P6 was originally supposed to be revealed during the "Year of Persona" event which will be more than two years over by then
I can see it late this year if they release the Answer for P3 by then

Oh dear lord, to unlock I read
you always have to answer the first option in alll interview scenes?? I can’t even remember what I’ve done in this! I haven’t in me to go through this again from the start…

you always have to answer the first option in alll interview scenes?? I can’t even remember what I’ve done in this! I haven’t in me to go through this again from the start…
No, it's just the last interview scene

That is very much not the case, don't worry.

HONESTY TIME.

It took me a while to warm up to this, but I’m really enjoying it now. The characters, interactions, the way the story is just starting to bubble up (I’m on the summer break), starting to get with the systems.

I think I need to TAKE MY TIME a bit more, I tend to head to IMs to determine what I’m doing and maybe I could just have some time exploring. But yeah, converted. I’ve got the cart of P4G ordered so I’m looking forward to that. P3 MUST be coming at some point, and I’ll be right up for P6 and whatever that other non-SMT game was they announced.

Trying to play blind as much as possible bar not wanting to miss the final content. Will enjoy having less of that pressure in P4G. And then I’ll go read up about all they what could have been stuff later! Think I’m past my time of maxing RPGs like I was when then first PS1 FFs hit.

Oh Christ. I’m at the Big Burger fight and I know what to do, I think I’ve put myself in a terrible position to do it. Luckily I’m a fervent saver, so I can redo a small amount before I can go do some levelling, maybe respec my character powers.

Oh Christ. I’m at the Big Burger fight and I know what to do, I think I’ve put myself in a terrible position to do it. Luckily I’m a fervent saver, so I can redo a small amount before I can go do some levelling, maybe respec my character powers.
If you're playing on anything that came with the dlc preincluded, you can use Izanagi-No-Okami and win with zero effort

I am lucky that I beat Okumura on my first try but I think I must have had around 90 seconds left on the clock.

EDIT: Also, gotta post this:

Last edited:
I’ve got a really decent squad, but I’m lacking single enemy attacks for nuke. By the time I figured out that I could wind the 3rd wave of tall dudes, I was way out of time.

I beat the base game of P5R. Was planning on leaving Royal to the future... but decided to dabble in Royal just because... WTH ON THAT FIRST PART WITH KASUMI. They don't want me to stop playing.

Back
Top Bottom