• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 Royal coming to Nintendo Switch (P5R out now, P3P and P4G available January 19, 2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took way too fucking long to happen but I’m happy they’re all finally here. Switch is where I’ll play 3 and 4.

P5R, I have on PS4, and I’m in the middle of doing a NG+ run to get the Akechi stuff. So idk if I’m gunna play it again on Switch. I may buy it just to support it though.

Basically both it and SMT have the same progression system, you could compare them to Pokemon and label them as monster collecting RPGs. The demons/personas are basically these mythological creatures that you equip to your characters, each has different skills. You get stronger ones by fusing them together, they inherit some of their skills. The life sim stuff goes hand in hand with that system because you can basically spend your free time hanging out with other characters, that levels up the social link which unlocks a tier of new personas to be accessible via fusion. Basically each activity from the life sim part of the game takes a certain amount of in-game time (there’s an in-game calendar) but the dungeons/regular jrpg gameplay are outside of time so there’s no time pressure really, you have events in certain dates

SMT is post apocalyptic and a bit more similar to regular JRPGs in terms of structure, Persona has very different vibes as it’s basically a playable urban fantasy anime. I doubt there will be a demo but whether you love it or not I think that it’s still the kind of game that will hook you, just like how some people that don’t care about traditional JRPGs love Pokemon. Expect some very slow beginnings though, I only played 3 and the actual gameplay loop started only after one whole hour, maybe more. They are pretty iterative in terms of mechanics and features so instead of grabbing 5 at launch you could start with 3 or 4 which will be cheaper and see if it’s for you

Thanks for this write up, I’m intrigued enough to give it a go! I’ll opt for physical just in case it doesn’t click but it sure sounds interesting.

I still have a sealed copy of P5R LE in my desk I got during 2020 covid but due to my state at that moment couldn't play it, I guess I will finally play it once P5R is cheap on the Switch and I'm prepared for another Atlus JRPG after being burned out of them

The real question is when will they announce a port for Dancing All Night?

They already gave us P4AU, and if there ever was a Persona game that deserved to be on the switch, it's the anime rhythm game.

I still haven't forgot that time Atlus cheaped out on us and instead of localizing Persona 2 Eternal Punishment remake, they just uploaded the PS1 version to PSN. I want remasters of the first three Persona games on my Switch too. Should be the next step.

P4G is possibly one of my favorite games of all time so I am bummed there is no physical. I still have my Vita copy and my Vita… but still :(

Do I double(triple) dip

I have the original P4G on Vita, wish it got a physical release

As for P5R, Finished it twice on Vanilla P5 and once again on P5R on the PS4

Do i want to buy again on Switch or get on game pass. Hmmm

I’m so happy to be wrong on that other thread poll about Persona not happening on Switch lol.

I still haven't forgot that time Atlus cheaped out on us and instead of localizing Persona 2 Eternal Punishment remake, they just uploaded the PS1 version to PSN. I want remasters of the first three Persona games on my Switch too. Should be the next step.
Atlus would actually have to acknowledge those games exist because to them the timeline begins at P3

P4G is a top 5 GOAT JRPG, can’t wait to play it again.

P5 I had a pretty good time with the vanilla version, skipped on Royal thinking maybe for a Switch port. Thinking I’ll probably check it out now.

Finally, I just bought a physical copy of Persona 5 Strikers for Switch for £18. Probably going to go up in price or sell out quick with P5R finally being announced for Switch.
Good shout, I just got it for the same price, so thanks for the heads up.
Will hold it for after I finish P5R.

I decided to start up my Vita to check out my P3P file for old times' sake and the game crashed losing my save data; this news couldn't have come at a better time.
never played P4G and I'm torned. Should I play it via Gamepass or handheld on Switch?
It really depends on which you prefer, personally I think RPGs suit handhelds perfectly and can't imagine playing them on home consoles anymore.

never played P4G and I'm torned. Should I play it via Gamepass or handheld on Switch?
Handheld. IMO.

P4G is a king rpg, has lots of dungeon crawling BUT that’s a small part of the game. It really plays like a visual adventure novel with rpg segments.

P4G is a king rpg
E0PiQG9WUAEL_If

Somewhat related but I see Persona 5 Strikers is on sale for £19 on Switch, is that a good game and does it perform well on Switch? I know it’s not the exact same gameplay and by different devs but I like the look of it going by the trailers.

Somewhat related but I see Persona 5 Strikers is on sale for £19 on Switch, is that a good game and does it perform well on Switch? I know it’s not the exact same gameplay and by different devs but I like the look of it going by the trailers.
It does perform well on the Switch like almost all Koei Tecmo games but is a direct sequel to P5 so it is recommended to play P5 first

Having played P5 Vanilla...this port could be exactly what I need to enjoy Royal. I could definitely use the flexibility of the hybrid functionality the Switch offers to better make use of a second playthrough of an even longer version of the game.

Also while I own P4G on Vita, I never played it due to lack of TV options...yet still wanted portablity (Switch has truly spoiled me). So this is definitely good news for me as well.

Less excited about P3P, but maybe I will try it one day.

Feel free to get it but wait until you’re done with Royal before playing it.

I was today years old when I learned the P4G protagonist is not a middle aged man with grey hair having a mid life crisis dressing up as someone half his age.

Naw, I Believe alone is the single best song in the series (and that's without getting into he other new songs Royal brings), Royal squarely comes out ahead.
I agree with you, but let's not forget Daredevil. It's the perfect evolution from Life will Change and I Believe. A truly banger.

I agree with you, but let's not forget Daredevil. It's the perfect evolution from Life will Change and I Believe. A truly banger.
Daredevil is definitely excellent. Honestly, I love the soundtracks of all three, P5/S/R, it's just some is better than the others lol.

Like generally Persona games have great music. Even Q2, which I think is the weakest of the P5 game soundtracks, has Invitation to Freedom, which is an amazing battle theme, so it works out lol

Daredevil is definitely excellent. Honestly, I love the soundtracks of all three, P5/S/R, it's just some is better than the others lol.

Like generally Persona games have great music. Even Q2, which I think is the weakest of the P5 game soundtracks, has Invitation to Freedom, which is an amazing battle theme, so it works out lol
Yes, even both pairs of opening/ending of the anime are great. Atlus and Lyn did a really great job with the P5 games ost.

I don’t know, Royal’s new big songs just aren’t as memorable or catchy as OG. Take Over, Colors Flying High, and I Believe don’t hit the Dane way as Rivers or Life will change. The rhythms aren’t as syncopated and feel unnecessarily complex. They’re definitely not bad, but even “you are stronger”, “counter strike”, and “daredevil” stick out more to me.

The intro to I believe is okay and then it shifts into life will change’s groove, which is better. I will say that it’s main chorus is better than take over. And I much prefer last surprise to take over, as well.

but more than a nintendo logo on FF7? that was decades in the making

71iOGZkHM6L._SL1500_.jpg
No lie, I bought this just to have a physical cart copy of FF7, even though I'd already gotten both games digital. Not sure I've ever even put the card in my Switch. 😅

I wish so hard they released this physical in the west ... preferably with a more tasteful cover :p
As it is, still tempted by the asia region release I see on Play-asia store.

They released it in Europe some time after the digital release (same cover, though). Is it still not available in the US? That's weird.

Neither can beat this happening in 2001, two first party franchises of rival platforms appearing on a Nintendo platform:
Sonic_Advance_US_cover.jpg
Spyro_Season_of_Ice.jpg

I still am in disbelief 21 years later...
Spyro was a weird situation. Not actually first party, more like Insomniac Spiderman or Bayo 2/3

Seeing Sonic with THQ's logo tho, that's fucking me up. Shit so fresh you can still see the stink

Spyro was a weird situation. Not actually first party, more like Insomniac Spiderman or Bayo 2/3
That may be right but both Spyro and Crash were flagship franchises of Sony during the 90s. Seeing them on a Nintendo platform was quite a mindblowing moment.

The whole first year of GBA was bonkers, though. There was an insane amount of third party support and it felt really good after the lackluster GBC lineup.

I decided to start up my Vita to check out my P3P file for old times' sake and the game crashed losing my save data; this news couldn't have come at a better time.
Curiosity got the best of me and I checked the rest of the games on my memory card; all of them are corrupted and a lot of my saves are gone. Much as I enjoyed playing on the short-lived Playstation handheld line my uncle was right, Sony products are garbage.

This is around the corner. Any reason U.S. pre orders for PS5 are not happening?
Atlus pre-orders are always weirdly delayed. The 13 Sentinels Switch port wasn't available to pre-order until three weeks before release, P4AU cut it even closer. Soul Hackers 2 was the quickest an Atlus game has been available for pre-order, and even that was just two months before release.

Expect preorders by the first week of October at the latest.

Atlus pre-orders are always weirdly delayed. The 13 Sentinels Switch port wasn't available to pre-order until three weeks before release, P4AU cut it even closer. Soul Hackers 2 was the quickest an Atlus game has been available for pre-order, and even that was just two months before release.

Expect preorders by the first week of October at the latest.
Ah, okay. I’ll have to patient.

Any word if the Asia release of P4G will get a physical? It’s my favorite jrpg and bummed it’s digital only over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom