• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Penny's Big Breakaway, from the creators of Sonic Mania, announced for PC and consoles (UPDATE: out today!)

I hesitated to get it on Switch and finally bought it with my Series S. From what I'm reading here, I made the right decision.I'm intringed that the game doesn't run at 60FPS on Switch, from what I can see it's quite possible.

I really like the game. It has its faults, its problems, including the controls which can feel clumsy at times, but it's also exactly what I wanted, a platformer with a distinctive feel, something reminiscent of the Dreamcast, something also very reminiscent of Klonoa at times. I'm a bit biased because I like the people who make this game, but frankly, once you've got used to it, it's true, the game is just good old-fashioned fun, and that's exactly what I was expecting. I'm sad to read that it's poorly optimised on Switch because this is the kind of game I want to play on the go.

I regret not waiting for reviews on balance after playing the first couple worlds.

• Controls are not as polished as you'd hope. It seems to have been designed with dual stick control (shoulder buttons to jump) in mind but they developed standard face button controlled alternative. I've tried both and neither feel optimal for one reason or another. If you use face buttons you still need the stick to do a spin attack. If you instead opt for the dual stick controls, using the face button to dash is still more optimal because you would rarely want to dash away from your direction of travel. Something definitely went awry in development because during tutorials you're presented with both methods for each move, but the face button configuration is instructed first.
  • Speaking of, the controls greatest failure is the 'dash' move - double tap a face button or prod the right stick in a given direction twice quickly, which allows you to traverse big pits. Note this input is shared with you main 'interact' command on single click! It's too easy to execute it when you don't want it, yeeting you into a pit, and sometimes it doesn't recognise the input when you do want it and fall into a pit.
  • There's no enemies aside from swarms of penguins which impede your movement and send you back to the previous checkpoint when swarmed by enough. They add absolutely nothing to the gameplay loop aside from irritation.
  • The MC is an awful design. Art design in general is not my cup of tea
  • Music for the first world is really irritating to me, almost intentionally trying to be catchy but in a very unappealing way.
In summary, 3D platformers are hard.

I regret not waiting for reviews on balance after playing the first couple worlds.

• Controls are not as polished as you'd hope. It seems to have been designed with dual stick control (shoulder buttons to jump) in mind but they developed standard face button controlled alternative. I've tried both and neither feel optimal for one reason or another. If you use face buttons you still need the stick to do a spin attack. If you instead opt for the dual stick controls, using the face button to dash is still more optimal because you would rarely want to dash away from your direction of travel. Something definitely went awry in development because during tutorials you're presented with both methods for each move, but the face button configuration is instructed first.
  • Speaking of, the controls greatest failure is the 'dash' move - double tap a face button or prod the right stick in a given direction twice quickly, which allows you to traverse big pits. Note this input is shared with you main 'interact' command on single click! It's too easy to execute it when you don't want it, yeeting you into a pit, and sometimes it doesn't recognise the input when you do want it and fall into a pit.
  • There's no enemies aside from swarms of penguins which impede your movement and send you back to the previous checkpoint when swarmed by enough. They add absolutely nothing to the gameplay loop aside from irritation.
  • The MC is an awful design. Art design in general is not my cup of tea
  • Music for the first world is really irritating to me, almost intentionally trying to be catchy but in a very unappealing way.
In summary, 3D platformers are hard.
I would recommend sticking to the stick controls! As you say the game's biggest flaw is presenting the button controls as ideal in tutorials. The issues with the dash disappear when you use the stick imo since you're less likely to be mashing. If you mash in this game you're gonna have a bad time.

This would've been right up my alley. But every video I look at of this game, the color palette is overwhelmingly oversaturated. I look at a similar 3D platformer like Lunistice (which is a fantastic game and like, $6) and while it's also very colorful, the overall palette is more... balanced and less 'eye-popping'.

I hope it's just like, one level I've been looking at.

From what I’m reading it seems just alright for a 3d platformer, this genre is every game devs Achilles heel

I just rolled credits. Crazy highs and lows. I really hope people support this, but I can't recommend it to anyone in it's current state.

More detailed thoughts:

It's probably one of the best 3D platformer I have played as of recent, when it works.

I experienced bugs throughout my playthrough, mostly clipping through stuff. World 2 was definitely the worst offender in this regard.

But I think the game has issues dropping inputs, which is a cardinal sin for platformers. I can't put my finger on what was causing it, but sometimes the double yo yo air dash just would not work. Restarting the level seemed to fix it. Which started to make me question a lot of things, like for example if the physics were actually working properly at all times. I tested this with the slopes and bulls that turn into golf balls, and sometimes the bull would get stuck on the side of a decline, even though it made no sense with the angles and physics at hand. If I restarted the level, it would react differently. Really weird stuff.

Bugs aside, the game is pure bliss. I think some of the level design is really great, and it really tests your understanding of the movesets and timing. Once you grasp the moveset, you really feel as if you are playing a tony hawk meets spiderman platformer, in the absolute best of ways. I think it's really something special when you reach this point of understanding of abilities Penny has.

The major negatives would be the bosses just aren't up to snuff. Every single one of them had readability issues and/or poor gameplay implications. Each one felt more like a battle with the game mechanics than the actual enemies themselves.

I also think towards the end of the worlds they ran out of ideas. The last few worlds didn't really have any theming and just seemed like mismatches of previous ideas with invisible platforms and wider chasms, increasing gap deaths. The camera really struggled here.

Overall, I really enjoyed Penny's Big Breakaway and have mad respect for the team building their own engine and creating a game with such interesting and challenging mechanics. I hope they are able to fix some of the issues at hand down the line for a physical release. I would definitely support a more polished experience in the physical format for a second playthrough and potentially going for 100%. But for now, the bugs have me hesitant to keep playing past credits, even though I had a really fun time with it.

god this looks like the most joyous shit ever, I can't wait to play it
I'm having a hard time advancing through the game because I just want to keep playing the same stage I've just played over and over again. I have just finished this one for the fourth time in order to make this recording fit on a single tweet. The first time playing a level and the second time are completely different. I've played every stage in the first world at least three or four times and I still haven't started World 2.

This really is a "what if Treasure made a THPS-like?". You can play it as a Mario 3D World, but it's just not as fun if you do it like that (and mind you, that's my favorite 3D Mario). Becoming an acrobat whilst learning the crazy moveset is the highlight of this game.

For those who really want to get what this game is all about: try finishing the Level Star-1 with 10 thousand points. Once you get your first 10-streak combo and you realise most of the times you don't even need to touch the ground the game becomes pure bliss. Next thing you know you're hitting a 30 combo without even thinking.

a bit shocked to hear about performance issues on Switch frankly. My non-gaming laptop runs hotter during Marvel Snap sessions than when running Penny lol. Hopefully that can be ironed out with some patches because the game rules

a bit shocked to hear about performance issues on Switch frankly. My non-gaming laptop runs hotter during Marvel Snap sessions than when running Penny lol. Hopefully that can be ironed out with some patches because the game rules
yeah I would have bought if it were 60 fps

sorry sonic mania people, see you next year on switch 2 hopefully

Game is done, such a fun and charming game! I did encounter a few bugs but ulimately I greatly enjoyed what the Sonic Mania devs Evening Star has created! Also Switch version was a locked 30fps from beginning to end.

How many levels are in this game? I know there are 11 worlds, just not how many levels the game has

43 levels, including bosses.

Quoted by: SiG
Game is done, such a fun and charming game! I did encounter a few bugs but ulimately I greatly enjoyed what the Sonic Mania devs Evening Star has created! Also Switch version was a locked 30fps from beginning to end.
That's good to hear. I might get it on Switch. It's good that the framerate is at least locked and stable.

I wonder what some of y'all thought of the n64, given locked 30fps is unacceptable nowadays. Go play GoldenEye or Perfect Dark on that system :p

For real? Even the smallest third party games are 30 fps on Switch these days, anything PS2 levels and up at 60 fps on Switch is the actual shocking thing for me. After the serious framerate problems with Mameda Bakeru, which was visibly graphically inferior to Penny, I expected the worst with Penny. Happy to see it's far from the worst.

I understand the complaints with technical issues, but I don’t think they’re all that egregious or anything. It reminds me of sonic adventure DX, a game where the glitches didn’t really effect the experience for more then 10 seconds

For real? Even the smallest third party games are 30 fps on Switch these days, anything PS2 levels and up at 60 fps on Switch is the actual shocking thing for me. After the serious framerate problems with Mameda Bakeru, which was visibly graphically inferior to Penny, I expected the worst with Penny. Happy to see it's far from the worst.

I mean, the thing is that Penny had no potential audience on any platform other than Switch and 30 FPS platformers do not feel very good.

I mean, the thing is that Penny had no potential audience on any platform other than Switch and 30 FPS platformers do not feel very good.
I honestly do not know a single third party 3D platformer on Switch at 60 fps. All Sonic games, Spyro, Crash, Kao the Kangaroo, de Blob games, Hat in Time, Yooka Laylee, Pac-man World Repac, both SpongeBob games, even PS2 era Ty the Tasmanian Tiger remasters, they're all 30 fps.

I understand the complaints with technical issues, but I don’t think they’re all that egregious or anything. It reminds me of sonic adventure DX, a game where the glitches didn’t really effect the experience for more then 10 seconds

Ignore my husband's snore. I got stuck more than 3 times playing this game... This is not ok at all lol

Two worlds in my thoughts are all over the place. The controls feel great but it really is like learning to yo-yo for the first time, I get lost and tangled so easily. For me the best part of most levels is hitting the maximum busker bonus, the platforming challenge leading into minigame seamlessly, connected in such a clear way, it's great.

My biggest complaint is the glitches. Sometimes momentum disappears for no discernable reason, sometimes I clip through stuff. My second biggest complaint is the visual noise. I think it's a pretty game, I think Penny is adorable and her contrasty colour scheme means she's always visible in a world of pastel bric a brac. But wow! There's so much going on all the time and there's almost no camera controls! I can't tell anything apart, and while the automatic camera is great 90% of the time but that 10% it just will not show me what I want to see and the manual camera does nothing!

Something really great about it though is how effortless it makes dynamic difficulty. Getting everything while holding a combo is damn near impossible, but feels doable, while limping through a level with no regard for points always seems manageable no matter what it throws at you, even star levels. Oh and the multiple routes in standard levels!

The design of the difficulty and challenge is legitimately on the level of a Mario game, I've been playing through Mario Galaxy this week as well and somehow PBB compares VERY well, design wise.

I would recommend sticking to the stick controls! As you say the game's biggest flaw is presenting the button controls as ideal in tutorials. The issues with the dash disappear when you use the stick imo since you're less likely to be mashing. If you mash in this game you're gonna have a bad time.
I have tried both methods and I prefer buttons. I don't find it intuitive to hold the left stick in one direction and prod twice with the right stick in the same direction, I couldn't pull it off with precision - to me it's like patting your head and rubbing your belly at the same time.

I would give some feedback in any future iteration of the game:
  1. Commit to a vision and polish the hell out of that vision. Plenty have spoken to the confused control scheme and bugs. But even the core gameplay is a compromise. The game seems to promote speed, with the penguins and fixed camera, but in-game rewards like bonus levels come from exploration.
  2. The timed dilemmas should not start until you 'accept' in some way. Having a timer tick down before you've even comprehended the task is a bit much.
  3. The points based dilemmas can often be exploited by performing the same trick repetitively in the same spot (my favourite cheese is swing on post, double jump off and swing on same post, repeat). They need to be tied to a goal under some form of time limit.
  4. Clearly indicate the goal/destination for the dilemmas
  5. Have better tutorials and incentives for embracing the combo system
  6. Allow players to cancel out of, or reorient, big traversal moves like the dash after execution

Yeah, Kirby and the Forgotten Land felt awful. I bet every one of the seven million people who bought that game spent its running time throwing up all over their handheld gaming platform that is known for its high performance across the board.

Yeah, Kirby and the Forgotten Land felt awful. I bet every one of the seven million people who bought that game spent its running time throwing up all over their handheld gaming platform that is known for its high performance across the board.
Kirby is a slow game...

"Your first playthrough is effectively a tutorial run" is a hell of a statement. Seems to mesh with what I've been reading about people's journeys with the controls.

"Your first playthrough is effectively a tutorial run" is a hell of a statement.
I mean, this is just what people say about classic Sonic games. Although in that case it's not because it's insanely technical to control and more because you have to spend the first playthrough learning to deal with all the questionable level gimmicks... Ironically I felt like Mania was the only one that avoided the bumbling first playthrough, and I played it second after Sonic 3 (without Knuckles).

The replaying mindset has always been a Sonic thing, which stinks if you're a person who doesn't care for replaying.

"Your first playthrough is effectively a tutorial run" is a hell of a statement. Seems to mesh with what I've been reading about people's journeys with the controls.

They're right in a sense. It has the Sonic methodology where speed and momentum is rewarded.

The catch is the mechanics are a steeper learning curve than just running right, jumping, spindash and ball mode lol.

I’m only three levels in, but I… am not enjoying myself and I really hate that, colourful 3D platformers are my jam and I was super hyped when I saw it shadowdropped to get going. I’m hoping I’m just in the wrong headspace or it starts slow and will ‘get it’ another day. Really feeling that it’s me, not the game and I can’t place what.

Having played a fair chunk more, I think I'm on a similar level to a lot of people here- The issues is the game only becomes fun once you're good at it. There's a steep learning curve and I spent so much of my first few hours being chucked off the edge and into pits instead of doing a standard attack, or having no idea why I'd do the same thing and sometimes it works, sometimes it just killed me. The moment you start to get the hang of it, how it feels, how it controls, and become capable of chaining moves together, I suddenly got all the rave reviews.

I've been discussing this game on... another forum since its release, and I figured I'd share my thoughts over here as well.

This was a game I'd been looking forward to ever since it was announced, and I snatched it up immediately after it shadow-dropped. My first impressions were really not great, to be honest. The controls felt a bit slipper and unintuitive at first, and the fixed camera really annoyed me a lot and discouraged exploration despite the stages being littered with a variety of NPC's with things to say. The further I got into the game the more I began to feel comfortable with its controls and maintaining momentum for more satisfying movement through the stages, but the game's many little technical hiccups annoyed me consistently.

I ran into numerous bugs, ranging from small annoyances to glaring issues, during my playthrough on PS5. Many of these were so consistent and obvious that the developers surely shipped the game knowing about them. For example, I've never once seen the correct animation play out when getting captured by penguins. Collision with the environment was also pretty wildly unreliable a lot of the time, causing Penny to get stuck in the geometry or fall through the ground into a void. While the game is very polished and well thought-out in many ways regarding its platforming, it feels like it really needed a little more time for polish before release.

As an end-result I've come away from the game thinking that it's good but could be great after a few updates. The skill ceiling and potential for mesmerizing speedruns are both sky high with this game, and once most of the jank is smoothed out it could be a solid 8/10 3D platformer for me. In its current state I'd put it at around a 7/10 like many reviewers have thus far. Honestly, I dislike the fixed camera to the point where it hard caps the game at an 8/10 for me. I really hate it a lot of the time and think it holds the game back quite a bit.

Despite my issues with the game, I'm still glad that Whitehead and his team struck out into uncharted waters and tried something new with this first foray into 3D platforming. It's a very tough genre to tackle, especially the first time around, and I think more than anything this game's sequel with maybe a fully controllable camera and more polish could really be something special. I'd love to see more engaging and polished boss fights in a potential sequel as well, as they disappointed more often than not here for me.

I’ve played up to world seven, and it kinda feels like the end is in sight. I don’t see myself going back to get all the collectibles or help all the citizens, and I probably won’t do very much time trialing at all. This game is more often than not a clunky, buggy, frustrating mess. But there are brief moments that feel like platforming bliss. I’m sure it’s a skill issue, and if I were better at the game there would be way more of those blissful moments. But I just don’t want to put up with the jank long enough to get good.

I know I’m not done with it yet, but I feel comfortable saying this is probably one of the biggest disappointments of the year.

Penny's Big Breakaway is getting a patch to version 1.2 on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1955230/view/4147323864462735132?l=english

Will be coming to consoles as soon as the usual certification measures are done.

Looks to resolve most, if not all, of the bugs many of us experienced.

Penny has been practicing her performances! She will no longer…
  • Get stuck on wall ledges and other objects.
  • Infinitely fall to her death in the World’s Edge boss encounter.
  • Slide up slopes that aren’t the ground.
  • Get stuck in a temporary infinite skid.
  • Get disconnected from YoYo during Whirl.
  • Lose all momentum when starting a yoyo ride from a distance.
  • Infinitely tumble.
  • Lose all her velocity when transitioning from Dash to Ride after YoYo retraction.
  • Get stuck at the end of a zipline when holding Ride or Throw until released.

Furthermore, YoYo has been training and will…
  • Stop going through as many walls when thrown.
  • Now accelerate more consistently while swinging in higher frame rates.
  • Be correctly sized on the Zipline.
  • Ledge Grab on more surfaces.
  • Stop releasing Penny from Edge Grab too early.

We’ve also asked the denizens to do some repairs and upgrades in the world. Here’s what they’ve been working on…

IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Omitted video settings from cloud saves – they’re only stored locally now!
  • Added Fullscreen video option.
  • From now on, we will reset the global cycle timer when restarting or dropping out
  • Indicate all-time cleared Show Pieces/Dilemmas for a scene in Pause menu.
  • Added a quick restart feature to Time Attack – Just hold the top face button!
  • Made Gusto reset to max when dropping out in Time Attack.
  • Game elements will behave more deterministically when you’re navigating Time Attack (by using a consistent global random seed when restarting or dropping out).
  • Reminded the denizens to not start the timer until Penny leaves Start Platform in Time Attack.
  • Scrapbook photos will now be full screen when viewing in menu!
  • Added the ability to delete Scrapbook unlock progress.
  • Added Depth of Field video option.
  • Tinkered with the Turnstile so Penny is consistently launched from the intended release point.
  • Adjusted the Rolling Log to not cause tumble when impacting sloped surface.

REPAIRS:
  • Repaired the Suction Pipe so that it will now always eject Penny with the intended motion.
  • Politely asked the Peng Balloon to not cause a soft lock at the end of Pengoville 2 when falling on Penny after landing on the Busker Stage.
  • Reminded the Scatter Birds that their shadows should not disappear for a frame before flying away.
  • Turned around the Whirl Screw in the Final Act so that it screws in the correct direction.
  • Fixed the HUD so it will no longer draw after transitioning offscreen.
  • When opening pause menu the same frame Penny drops out, the stage will now play music properly.
  • Fixed the water splash VFX.
  • Fixed visual issues with the Fail Transition.
  • Corrected the Cannon object so that it no longer points to invalid target object references.
  • Whacked the side of the boombox so that the SFX issue after defeating Judge Rufus no longer occurs.
  • Oiled the grease on the ball bearings so that vertical camera movement now always tracks at the correct speed (camera slack delta time scaling).

Last edited:
Having played a fair chunk more, I think I'm on a similar level to a lot of people here- The issues is the game only becomes fun once you're good at it. There's a steep learning curve and I spent so much of my first few hours being chucked off the edge and into pits instead of doing a standard attack, or having no idea why I'd do the same thing and sometimes it works, sometimes it just killed me. The moment you start to get the hang of it, how it feels, how it controls, and become capable of chaining moves together, I suddenly got all the rave reviews.
exactly how I felt tbh tho I still feel like the boss fights are ass and the yoyo roll doesnt control or behave as well as it should imo.

Ah and there it is.

It's weird how for me personally PBB's locked 30fps was smoother feeling than BRC's locked 30fps. Gonna test this unlocked framerate out when it drops.
I havent played BRC yet (yet) but I looked up video of the uncapped Switch version and it looks pretty good! they did say it was only 60fps some of the time and was mostly hovering around 40-50 but that's still an improvement as far as I'm concerned, so if Pennys is at least that good I'll be really happy.

Knew Switch could hit 60 (some of the time anyway?). Penny really isn't a very demanding game to run
I wonder if they just thought having a consistent framerate would be a better first impression than a higher-but-inconsistent rate?

I guess reviews saying "it tries to hit 60 but doesn't quite make it most of the time" sounds worse than "yeah it's 30fps but it's solid."

The more I play the game, the more I like it. There is really a good replayability due to the fact that the more you get to master the levels the more comfortable you are to do things faster and in a more complete way.

I understand that there are flaws, I understand that bugs are annoying and can spoil the experience even if I see that some will be fixed, but honestly I love the game a lot. The camera is well managed I think, which is the big difficulty of platform games in 3D. If I have two criticisms, it is the repetitiveness of the music that is frankly annoying, and the lack of effort in my opinion on the bosses who could have been much more friendly and sophisticated experiences.

Honestly the game is full of quality and inventiveness, the more control and the more fun it is, it will be fun to watch the speedruns. There is Sonic of course, there is Mario odyssey of course, there is even at times a big big vibe Crash bandicoot, but the greatest success of the game in my opinion is that it admirably manages to cultivate its own very strong identity.

Give them a Warioland or Crash bandicoot to develop!

The more I play the game, the more I like it. There is really a good replayability due to the fact that the more you get to master the levels the more comfortable you are to do things faster and in a more complete way.

I understand that there are flaws, I understand that bugs are annoying and can spoil the experience even if I see that some will be fixed, but honestly I love the game a lot. The camera is well managed I think, which is the big difficulty of platform games in 3D. If I have two criticisms, it is the repetitiveness of the music that is frankly annoying, and the lack of effort in my opinion on the bosses who could have been much more friendly and sophisticated experiences.

Honestly the game is full of quality and inventiveness, the more control and the more fun it is, it will be fun to watch the speedruns. There is Sonic of course, there is Mario odyssey of course, there is even at times a big big vibe Crash bandicoot, but the greatest success of the game in my opinion is that it admirably manages to cultivate its own very strong identity.

Give them a Warioland or Crash bandicoot to develop!
Yeah I don't agree with the camera criticisms at all, the fixed camera works way better than 99% of indie 3D platformers with free camera movement

Yeah I don't agree with the camera criticisms at all, the fixed camera works way better than 99% of indie 3D platformers with free camera movement

Definitely a subjective thing, but for me personally it's one of the game's biggest flaws alongside the bugs and jank.

Some of the camera angles really do a number of proper depth perception, especially when moving at speed. I'd say somewhere north of 80% of my deaths in this relatively easy game were just from the camera fucking with my ability to judge distance.

wow this patch fixed a lot. The yoyo grapple onto the edge of a platform actually works consistently now. And you can adjust the Skyward Sword DOF intensity/turn it off entirely now which is great because the default setting on PC was much too intense.

oh thank fucking god they've made the switch version 60fps. still a completely baffling decision to me that they made it 30fps initially, but i'll take it now anyway.

Curious to hear impressions of the 60fps update. I'd test it myself but it's impossible to tear myself away from FF7 Rebirth. 😅

Back
Top Bottom