• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Penny's Big Breakaway, from the creators of Sonic Mania, announced for PC and consoles (UPDATE: out today!)

This just reminded me that if freedom planet 2 is given a release date for this year tomorrow then phew lawd it's gonna be a great upcoming quarter

If you wanna see the magic that Tee Lopes and Johnny Atma can cook up together, go listen to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge soundtrack. The two of them go together like peanut butter and chocolate.

Don't have much to add on Penny specifically, this game is gonna be sick and we all know it.

I was listening to Tee Lopes before he hit it big with Sonic Mania because he did the really damn good remixes for the Sonic 2 HD fan project.

Does that make me a hipster?

Looks stellar. I hope the gameplay is a bit slower paced at its fastest than Sonic, just 'cause that's a bit nauseating or too fast for me personally, so this is just selfishly speaking. I get the sense it's a bit less fast than the blue blur though.

This game looks really fun! Though despite all the Sonic comparisons, from what I've seen the gameplay and movement take more from Mario Odyssey, with the fast, snappy movement, and of course, the core mechanic of the game being central to both combat and traversal. It can even transform into other things!

It's quite inspiring, seeing how I'm actually developing my own platformer with the core mechanic being an object tied to a rope (mine is an anchor)

Though, I'm a bit confused as to the character designs. Penny herself seems fine, but the other characters seem... odd? I dunno. It doesn't seem to be a big deal, though.

There's even something very reminiscent of Cappy in some of the moves, I think. Having said that, I can see why they're talking about Kirby, because even Odyssey is reminiscent of Kirby at times, with its mechanics.

When I see the talent of the Evening Star people, I think their take on what a 3D Sonic would be like excites me a lot more than what Sega did with Frontiers, even though I liked Frontiers.

If I'm not mistaken, they have their own proprietary game engine, which is rare in general, and particularly so for an independent developer. I really hope the game sells well. I can't wait to play it.

So, this one is potentially rumored or at least speculated to drop during a Partner Direct this week. I've followed just a bit of footage here and there, is this more like 3D Mario and most 3D platformers where you're occasionally moving at lightning speed or more like 3D Sonic where you're often moving super fast?

So, this one is potentially rumored or at least speculated to drop during a Partner Direct this week. I've followed just a bit of footage here and there, is this more like 3D Mario and most 3D platformers where you're occasionally moving at lightning speed or more like 3D Sonic where you're often moving super fast?
it’s rumored to shadow drop? that would be hype.

it looks more like 3D Mario to me, occasional speed. But the movement options seem deep enough that at a high level, you can really fly through the level.

From what I’ve seen in previews, Sonic seems to be a better comparison. Not much in the way of collectibles, with a heavier focus on speed and time. Not quite as fast though, kinda like a Sonic/3D World hybrid.

it’s rumored to shadow drop? that would be hype.

it looks more like 3D Mario to me, occasional speed. But the movement options seem deep enough that at a high level, you can really fly through the level.
From what I’ve seen in previews, Sonic seems to be a better comparison. Not much in the way of collectibles, with a heavier focus on speed and time. Not quite as fast though, kinda like a Sonic/3D World hybrid.
Thank you both for the info! I'll have to check out some preview vids then. I'm really interested in the game and platformers are my favorite genre but I think too fast is kind of a migraine trigger for me. I think my limit is the Koopa races in Odyssey, I could do those but not a whole game of them.

About a year ago I tried 2D Sonic properly for the first time and the speed was partially slightly nauseating and partially migraine-inducing. Oddly despite that I'd still like to give the 3D games a shot, especially Generations or Colors.

Excited about this game being potentially released next week.

Not so excited on the prospect of no physical release.
Same and same.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's one of those situations where a big publisher gets involved with a physical release after the game releases and gains some traction.

You know what? I'll get it on the Switch now. Might be able to get some in before work today.

Glad this actually became the shadowdrop.

shame that the switch version is looking to be 30fps. snagged it on there anyway as i have a lot of gold points saved up and a broke gal's gotta get deals however she can.

Wasn't expecting a shadowdrop, unfortunate for me as I don't think I can fit it in right now. On the other hand I can wait for impressions.

Yeah I was fully expecting to find a bunch of reviews today. If this is multiplat I might just cop on Xbox
I've already downloaded it on Xbox.

Spookily, I encountered a bug where installing it via the mobile app caused it to show up in my "Game Pass" library, despite not being on Game Pass.

30FPS on Switch makes this a non-starter for me on this platform unfortunately.

Will cop it on PC instead.

Would appreciate someone biting the bullet for impressions here.
It’s good! Penny herself is a tad bit clunky, but the Yo-yo movement is very similar to using Fludd in a conceptual sense IMO. It’s not blowing my socks off yet, but I am quite enjoying it.

I've already downloaded it on Xbox.

Spookily, I encountered a bug where installing it via the mobile app caused it to show up in my "Game Pass" library, despite not being on Game Pass.
Oh wow, glad that was sorted out in the end at least. Let me know your impressions as you play! I'm working on Mario v DK and Mario Wonder at the moment, along with Golden Sun and Dead Space remake, but Penny's looks like such a breath of fresh air that I could definitely pause something like GS for now.

I'm waiting for reviews just to see what performance is like. I intend to get it on Xbox Series X unless that version has serious bugs.

Oh wow, glad that was sorted out in the end at least. Let me know your impressions as you play! I'm working on Mario v DK and Mario Wonder at the moment, along with Golden Sun and Dead Space remake, but Penny's looks like such a breath of fresh air that I could definitely pause something like GS for now.
Oh I haven't bought it yet. Xbox lets you install games beforehand, for pre-loads and stuff, then buy when you get to the console. Google and Apple wouldn't allow them to offer purchases through the mobile apps without taking a Play Store/App Store cut (despite them not being mobile games.).

Yeah as others have said it's 30fps. Locked 30fps though so they made the right choice on the Switch. I think it's native resolution in handheld but man the color palette pops on the OLED screen!

I haven't paid too much attention to this and I didn't realize the npc characters throughout the levels were like the Bonanza Bros. That's awesome. I'll double dip on PC to support.

30fps on Switch is a real bummer :(

Seemed like such a perfect switch game. Will definitely get this on another platform but was really looking forward to playing this handheld.

Really drives home the point that the Switch just isn’t powerful enough these days.

I must be blessed or something because I literally cannot tell the difference between 30fps and 60 fps as long as it's stable.

Oop didn't realize this was 30 fps on Switch but I already bought and started playing. TBH I didn't really notice it while playing. The game is cute so far, have just done a couple levels. I am having fun, hoping for the game to surprise me.

Is limited run games bad or just the idea that it's not a main physical release?
I remember hearing about a streamer who got the Scott pilgrim physical set from LRG and waited two years for it to actually come to his house. So yeah, LRG is bad

Back
Top Bottom