• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Penny's Big Breakaway, from the creators of Sonic Mania, announced for PC and consoles (UPDATE: out today!)

I am so glad Nintendo gave this game such good placement in the direct, the Mania team deserves all the success in the world

Looks like what Sonic in 3D should be and actually a good video game. If I was Sega I'd bin off Sonic team and just get this team instead.
One of the best things shown in the direct today.

I'm not 100% sold on the look of the main character, but the game itself looks amazing. Imo.

As a long time fan of Christian Whitehead's work even back to the Sonic Nexus fangame days, I'm IN.

Main character I gotta warm up to a little bit more but everything else looks great.

Already loving the sense of motion and the yoyo mechanics. Thank you to the indie devs for crafting these wonderful platformer games.

I don’t like the art style in this game, but the trailer looked fun, I’ll definitely play this at some point, it’s always good to have more 3D platformers

This gives big Saturn/N64/PS1 platformer vibes. And I loved Mania to boot.

Excited for this one.

This is the best third party announcement of the Direct by far. I knew that Evening Star was working on a 3D platformer, but after Sonic Superstars was revealed, I was itching to see what they were up to. Turns out I didn't have to wait long at all! Though even before they were name dropped, I was liking the way it looked.

I'm already loving the bright and colorful world, the zippy movement mechanics, and the utility of Yo-Yo throughout the footage. I am dying to get my hands on this, and I have faith that Evening Star will do this one a ton of justice. I'll miss their work on Sonic, but to see such an appealing and fun looking new game from them makes it more than worth it.

gameplay looks fun.

artstyle / colors is really sega (genesis/saturn time), but doesnt work for me.

The character designs.... i hate it.

I will keep an eye out for it for the gameplay. There arent that many 3d platformer that work.

If it's anywhere near as good as Sonic Mania, I'm in. It looks like a lot of fun. Like a classic 3D platformer mixed with Sonic's gameplay from SA / SA2, which is good in my books

this is low key the game of the direct. it looks fantastic. i love the movement options the yo-yo provides.

It’s a shame this was sandwiched in between such an amazing direct because I would be all for it, but Sonic and Mario just take priority

Kinda ignored it at first but the movement options seem pretty cool. I’ll be keeping an eye out for this one.

This could be really good. You can see the yo-yo is used for movement and attack, kind of like Cappy. When she hops on the yo-yo it reminds me of Yooka-Laylee's Reptile Roll (hopefully with less janky movement). There is tons of potential and I couldn't have a higher opinion of the dev team. Fingers crossed.

Best announcement in the Direct that wasn't a Mario game. Will be there Day 1.

ugh the OST in this clip is absolutely incredible my god, I can't wait for this game

Reviving this thread because they showcased more of the game during a livestream and it's looking quite promising, they cited Kirby Forgotten Land and Mario 3D World as inspirations (among many other games) in particular because they're going for a fixed camera:

Reviving this thread because they showcased more of the game during a livestream and it's looking quite promising, they cited Kirby Forgotten Land and Mario 3D World as inspirations (among many other games) in particular because they're going for a fixed camera:

Can I say it?

I'm gonna say it

This looks like a Dreamcast game and I mean that as the highest compliment

Did they make any hints about a release date? I think all we've heard officially is "early 2024."

I had no idea this was gonna sound like Jean-Jacques Perrey, there are some very direct callbacks in there!!

so rare that I hear something that makes me worry that my music is too subdued

AAAAAAAAAAH OMG

Jonny Atma of GaMetal is involved!!!!!!

Dang these all sound great.

Suddenly I also would like Tee Lopes to do an entire Shantae soundtrack after hearing that third track.
Diiiiiid you hear the song he did for Sonic Superstars' "Sand Sanctuary Zone?" πŸ‘€

I had no idea this was gonna sound like Jean-Jacques Perrey, there are some very direct callbacks in there!!

πŸ˜‰

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom