• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Paper Mario Thousand Year Door HD in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday he did a chrono trigger remake rumor and while i feel a port of that is inevitable after cross ain’t noooooo way in hell is a remake happening unless it’s a HD2D one in like, several years from now lol, especially with the extra legal stuff making that tougher to port than cross.
Are legal issues a concern with Chrono Trigger? We've had multiple rereleases over the years across the playstation, DS, and steam

Are legal issues a concern with Chrono Trigger? We've had multiple rereleases over the years across the playstation, DS, and steam
The bird studio people and toriyama in particular need to sign off on every reissue. Ie: the people on the game’s copyright. Thus it’s not something square can put out on a whim, and why the wii vc reissue was basically a miracle. (This is also why a lot of enix stuff is blocked from reissuing, as the devs of most of those co-owned the games… and in the case of quintet, the IP owners vanished entirely after actraiser 1’s wii release. Not even beginning to get into the composer of soul blazer owning the music, or the IOG artist owning the art on top of that… so yeah CT is tricky but even then way easier than anything quintet or almanac made, which i’d file under impossible)

It’s also why say, SMRPG cannot be released by nintendo alone and needs squaresoft’s approval to make happen since they own the software and characters

The bird studio people and toriyama in particular need to sign off on every reissue. Ie: the people on the game’s copyright. Thus it’s not something square can put out on a whim, and why the wii vc reissue was basically a miracle. (This is also why a lot of enix stuff is blocked from reissuing, as the devs of most of those co-owned the games… and in the case of quintet, the IP owners vanished entirely after actraiser 1’s wii release.)

It’s also why say, SMRPG cannot be released by nintendo alone and needs squaresoft’s approval to make happen since they own the software and characters
This is why we haven't seen anything with Terranigma, right?

The bird studio people and toriyama in particular need to sign off on every reissue. Ie: the people on the game’s copyright. Thus it’s not something square can put out on a whim, and why the wii vc reissue was basically a miracle. (This is also why a lot of enix stuff is blocked from reissuing, as the devs of most of those co-owned the games… and in the case of quintet, the IP owners vanished entirely after actraiser 1’s wii release.)

But Toriyama already regularly works with SE on Dragon Quest. If anything I'd figured it be easier to work with Horii and Toriyama now than in the 90s. And like I said, it wasn't just Wii VC, it was also DS with added content, and Steam. Like is this something that's actually been said by someone at or with connections to SE or is it just forum speculation?

By the same logic, shouldn't Dragon Quest 3 HD2D have been off the table?

It's really difficult to have a nuanced conversation about Origami King. I guess that applies to anything on the internet these days, everything is either "Trash" or "Perfect", it's hard to talk about flaws in a thing you love without getting screamed down by both sides of the argument. Happened to me a lot in other forums when I complimented and expressed concerns about OK.

One thing though, earlier in this thread people called this source "discredited" and cited them lying about a Vicarious Visions DK game.
If that's really true, why are we giving this story so much weight?

But Toriyama already regularly works with SE on Dragon Quest. If anything I'd figured it be easier to work with Horii and Toriyama now than in the 90s. And like I said, it wasn't just Wii VC, it was also DS with added content, and Steam. Like is this something that's actually been said by someone at or with connections to SE or is it just forum speculation?

By the same logic, shouldn't Dragon Quest 3 HD2D have been off the table?

I mean it’s the same sort of reason why DQ games aren’t given for free or ported all over the place willy nilly: like how those require the usual bird studio/sugiyama estate clearances, Chrono Trigger requires the bird studio/toriyama/armor OKs. Doesn’t mean they’ll never reissue it again but it means it’s more expensive to do than say, Saga Frontier 2. For reference here’s the CT copyright on steam:

© 1995, 2018 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved.
Illustration: © 1995 BIRD STUDIO / SHUEISHA
Story and Screenplay: © 1995, 2008 ARMOR PROJECT / SQUARE ENIX

DQ3HD and DQM is happening because they likely know they’ll make their investment back (it is a big IP after all) but I dont expect them to say, drop an unaltered emulated port of Torenko MD2 on the eShop for $10, and for CT I’d expect the steam version brought over at the maximum since I dont personally see Chrono Trigger as a profitable IP (it bombed on DS after all) to go all HD2D on and i doubt square does too. I’d be more confident in something square fully owns like bahamut lagoon happening first but that’s just my guesswork

This is why we haven't seen anything with Terranigma, right?
Yep, even though a lot of staff want it back if the quintet IP guy is MIA that means they cant reissue it. Nintendo tried reissuing Gaia on Wii VC per gigaleak and i think the ESRB but it got stopped last minute, likely due to them realizing SE doesnt actually own it and it also has an illustrator credit to sort out as well.

Star Ocean/valkyrie/Ogre Battle all happen just fine because Tri Ace and Quest are still around and enix i think fully owns anything they did now. Chunsoft owns their share of the stuff they made though including DQ1-5.

Last edited:
The bird studio people and toriyama in particular need to sign off on every reissue. Ie: the people on the game’s copyright. Thus it’s not something square can put out on a whim, and why the wii vc reissue was basically a miracle. (This is also why a lot of enix stuff is blocked from reissuing, as the devs of most of those co-owned the games… and in the case of quintet, the IP owners vanished entirely after actraiser 1’s wii release. Not even beginning to get into the composer of soul blazer owning the music, or the IOG artist owning the art on top of that… so yeah CT is tricky but even then way easier than anything quintet or almanac made, which i’d file under impossible)

Eh I dunno, I think some of the rights issues with these old SE games have been overstated over the years, to the point that people make them out to be a bit insurmountable. Given that they were able to remake/remaster Actraiser and Live A Live, of which both IP present as having significant rights issues, I doubt there is anything really stopping them from most games beyond the will/interest in actually doing it. Chrono Trigger is less problematic in comparison to other games, barring those old rumors that Horii doesn't like the IP, but I assume the Steam release wouldn't have happened if that were the case, or if there were any major roadblocks.

As far as Quintet goes, most of the people involved in their games are around. Hashimoto and Miyazaki were the two that sort of disappeared/left the industry, but comments from others like Koshiro would indicate that they are not completely missing. Actraiser Renaissance would have fallen in the same boat as their other games, so one would imagine that if that remake was possible then either Hashimoto/Miyazaki are available for contact currently, or SE has the rights to the catalog now(or always did).

I dunno about 2023, there’s just so many rumored/speculated Mario games right now. There’s just no goddamn space.
  • 2D Mario
  • Paper Mario remake
  • Mario RPG remake
  • Mario Baseball
  • Mario Party
  • Mario & Sonic
Plus Mario Kart DLC and Mario + Rabbids DLC. Sheesh.

...Man, Nintendo is totally going to shadowdrop this to mild sales aren't they?

Prime 1R and Pikmin 1+2 are not good a indication.

They just wanted to give SMRPG priority.

As they should.
The release timing makes sense, not expecting this until next year given SMRPG.

I'm just thinking this is gonna be closer to the remaster side of the spectrum (like MP1R/Pikmin 1+2) and treated as such vs given the marketing it deserves.

I assume all highly notable first party GameCube releases are in the process of being ported eventually. The market is just ripe for it, with GCN kids entering the labor force.

F-Zero GX will be the September Direct shadowdrop, TTYD will be the February Direct shadowdrop. They're going to let Super Mario RPG breathe on its own and release before revealing this one.

Eeeeeh, even with the "marketing it deserves" I doubt that TTYD has the selling power some people think.
It's the critically acclaimed, fan-favorite entry that hasn't been re-released in nearly 20 years. It's also the last in an RPG formula that fans have been passionately clamoring for after a poorly received reboot. It's a dream game. See DmC->DMC5's reception and sales if you need an example.

You treat it as a big deal and it will sell better compared to a shadowdrop treatement, full-stop. Even with a shadowdrop announcement I wouldn't be surprised if it outsells TOK.

It's the critically acclaimed, fan-favorite entry that hasn't been re-released in nearly 20 years. It's also the last in an RPG formula that fans have been passionately clamoring for a after a negative series reboot. It's a dream game. See DmC->DMC5's reception and sales if you need an example.

You treat it as a big deal and it will sell better compared to a shadowdrop treatement, full-stop. Even with a shadowdrop announcement I wouldn't be surprised if it outsells TOK.
Higher than TOK is a tall order for the genre. That said, I'm very curious to see where Super Mario RPG ends up.

also, the real reason I'm commenting is because I needed to say I read TOK as TOTK and I was wondering what planet you were from for a second 😅

It's the critically acclaimed, fan-favorite entry that hasn't been re-released in nearly 20 years.
Eh, I would argue that PM64 was more original and had a better story and characters.

And based on Bug Fables' sales, I don't think the formula itself is enough to make TTYD sell.

I think Super Mario RPG has a fairly large following independent of the Paper Mario fan base, and between that, the usual promotion it will get, and Mario hype running high in general right now, I wouldn’t be surprised if it becomes the best selling Mario RPG. It would need around 4 million I think to beat Super Paper Mario.

Eh, I would argue that PM64 was more original and had a better story and characters.

And based on Bug Fables' sales, I don't think the formula itself is enough to make TTYD sell.
I'm just going off fan consensus.

I don't think we have any info about Bug Fable's sales numbers.

I think this is gonna be higher effort than people think. Paper Mario has had a consistent dev cycle, if this is the next game for the franchise then it isn’t gonna be a quick remaster.

It’s gonna look very nice, and it’s gonna cost the full $60. There are other GCN games that would be shadowdropped instead.

I don't think it even charted digitally in its opening month.
It obviously wasn't a breakout blockbuster indie release, like a Hollow Night or Celeste. It flew pretty under the radar and had limited marketing. But it probably sold modestly.

Also, the reality is a large part of the appeal of classic Paper Mario is the IP and its style. Turn based JRPGs are a dime a dozen, and PM didn't sell well primarily off its gameplay. Copying the gameplay mechanics and overall style doesn't translate to a free blockbuster hit. Especially for a game that started development as a 4chan fan project.

It obviously wasn't a breakout blockbuster indie release, like a Hollow Night or Celeste. It flew pretty under the radar and had limited marketing. But it probably sold modestly.
Is not like it had "limited marketing" per se. The TTYD fanbase was heavily pushing it in Youtube and such with some of them being highly bitter because Nintendo dropped the formula (and Arlo being at the front of them of course).

Yet, it barely did much (Shame, because I got it physically and is a pretty good game but still).

Is not like it had "limited marketing" per se. The TTYD fanbase was heavily pushing it in Youtube and such with some of them being highly bitter because Nintendo dropped the formula (and Arlo being at the front of them of course).

Yet, it barely did much (Shame, because I got it physically and is a pretty good game but still).
SteamDB/SteamSpy give a sales range of 89k-250k for the PC release alone. Given it probably sold similarly (if not more) on Switch + other console sales, we're probably looking at somewhere between 100,000-500,000k sales. That's not bad for an indie game with limited marketing.

I wouldn't consider 1 mildly popular eceleb recommending the game (Arlo) as giving the game a massive push in terms of sales. Probably helped a little, but nothing on the level as like an Undertale or Hollow Knight in terms of YouTube/Twitch metrics

Well, time to read through this thread from the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom