• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2024) — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Judging by the sheer amount of paper jokes in that trailer, Nintendo isn’t changing this series at all. Gonna enjoy the remake though
I don't think that's any indication of them sticking to the modern formula, especially since they sent out those surveys to gauge what people want from these RPGs.

As GvG pointed out, it looks like they're using a more accurate translation of the original Japanese version. Which might mean that character bios are close to their original intent.

cough Vivian cough

The music in this remake is incredible, so glad they took a page from origami king not just in style, but in having each area include a unique remix of the battle theme. And the links to origami king don’t end there, it seems like Nintendo is combining the best additions from that game into TTYD. Fast travel with the pipe area, sound effects, art style, animations, non-intrusive help for people who are stuck, good stuff

THANK GOD FOR THE NEW PIPE AREA!!!!! QOL FEATURES WE BEEN ASKING FOR, AND BACKTRACKING WILL BE MUCH MORE MANAGEABLE NOW
Ooooooh, where did you see confirmation of this??

Also, I've now read three previews (Polygon, IGN, and another I can't remember, maybe GamingBible?) that said Nintendo teased "additional unannounced updates" that players will have to wait for the game's release to discover. Probably nothing earth-shattering, but I'm intrigued

Last edited:
God, this remake looks like it'll make an already extremely charming game even more charming! The added animations, the unique voice bleeps for every character, and the new songs (like Koops getting a theme) and unique arrangements (like unique battle themes for each area, including sub-areas like Hooktail Fortress). Can't wait to see all that's been changed!

Chapter 2 battle theme at the very start of the video. So glad this is something they've brought back from TOK.

Also English overview trailer:

EDIT: Vooks' preview confirms the GameCube Badge is an original soundtrack toggle:

Now that's a proper overview trailer, unlike Endless Ocean's. Game looks fantastic.

Ooooooh, where did you see confirmation of this??

Also, I've now read two previews (Polygon and another I can't remember, maybe GamingBible?) that said Nintendo teased "additional unannounced updates" that players will have to wait for the game's release to discover. Probably nothing earth-shattering, but I'm intrigued

Around the 11:35 mark it shows a new Pipe Zone

Last edited:

Around the 11:35 mark it shows a new Pipe Zone

W-what? We can’t complain about the “backtracking” anymore? What ever shall we do?

I love how dynamic the music is. Seems like there’s an in-house rendition of Rogueport, as well as Chapter-dependant variations of the battle music

W-what? We can’t complain about the “backtracking” anymore? What ever shall we do?

I love how dynamic the music is. Seems like there’s an in-house rendition of Rogueport, as well as Chapter-dependant variations of the battle music

Quote from a reviewer:
Level design also seems to be largely identical, perhaps to a fault at times. While more recent Paper Marios arguably backslid in terms of story and combat, they offered undeniable improvements in terms of level design. By contrast, most areas in The Thousand-Year Door consist of a series of very straightforward linear paths littered with enemies and the occasional simple puzzle with players frequently having to backtrack. As far as I can tell, little has been done to alleviate or modernize this, and as early as TTYD’s first chapter I was starting to feel the grind a bit.

Confirmed 30FPS downgrade it is. :/

Skipping this.

I can not wrap my mind around this decision but it is what it is.
I don't care too much about performance generally, but a few previews mentioning stuttering despite limiting the game to 30 is pretty funny

You do realize both Color Splash and Origami King are 30fps as well, right?
The original TTYD was 60FPS.

I know the modern games are 30FPS and that's been one of my annoyances with them but there is no justifiable reason for a remake to run worse than the original on hardware that is orders of magnitude more powerful than the Gamecube.

I think only one has mentioned the stuttering and it seems to only happen during when Mario gets ambushed by the X-Nauts.
Oh yeah, we saw that stuttering pretty severely in an earlier trailer/some footage somewhere but I had hoped it was just the uploaded footage 😅

I have no memory of those Pianta Parlor minigames

I wonder if it's because I missed them when I played this or if it's just because it's been like 20 years and i've forgotten about them

"THE Paper Mario: THE Thousand Year Door Game"

I just listened to the overview trailer. I've made fun of NoA's insistence on calling their games "The (Title) Game" But this has to be the most ridiculous one of all. Saying THE two times in a title.

Last edited:
Visually, everything looks amazing, and the new music plus the badge to listen to the original versions is all terrific. Something from Polygon’s preview has me quite worried, however:

“Outside of exploration and turn-based battles, one of the strongest aspects of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Dooris the game’s writing; the role-playing game is full of humor and meta jokes about the Mario franchise. Nintendo says that some of the game’s script has been updated in line with modern sensibilities for the remaster. Nintendo didn’t say what had changed dialogue-wise, but expect some script polish.”

I just listened to the overview trailer. I've made fun of NoA's insistence on calling their games "The (Title) Game" But this has to be the most ridiculous one of all. Saying THE two times in a title.
The "The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD" game

Visually, everything looks amazing, and the new music plus the badge to listen to the original versions is all terrific. Something from Polygon’s preview has me quite worried, however:

“Outside of exploration and turn-based battles, one of the strongest aspects of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Dooris the game’s writing; the role-playing game is full of humor and meta jokes about the Mario franchise. Nintendo says that some of the game’s script has been updated in line with modern sensibilities for the remaster. Nintendo didn’t say what had changed dialogue-wise, but expect some script polish.”

You're talking about the script? I wouldn't worry too much about that.

The modern sensibilities bit can either go one of two ways, with the first (hopefully) being they finally acknowledge Vivian as being transgender in all versions, or second they change her to be cisgender for all versions which would be a shame and undermine a very impactful story beat for many

Also hopefully they keep the Toad chalk outline lol

Someone at Nintendo must be an Ohio State grad.

Possible chance this is alluding to Vivian, but it is fairly vague and hard to ascertain.

The original TTYD was 60FPS.

I know the modern games are 30FPS and that's been one of my annoyances with them but there is no justifiable reason for a remake to run worse than the original on hardware that is orders of magnitude more powerful than the Gamecube.
That's not how this works.

It's almost certain at this point that TTYD was rebuilt in the modern engine, and "newer hardware" has never inherently meant "better framerate".

THANK GOD FOR THE NEW PIPE AREA!!!!! QOL FEATURES WE BEEN ASKING FOR, AND BACKTRACKING WILL BE MUCH MORE MANAGEABLE NOW
The original TTYD already had a pipe area, it was just less accessible.

The new warp room is a nice improvement that'll alleviate sidequesting but it really doesn't change the actual core of the issue with TTYD's backtracking. The problem isn't generally "it takes a long time to revisit past worlds", but the actual exploration in those worlds and their sub areas. It is way too ingrained into the game's design and they'd need to drastically redesign it to improve it, or at best add warp pipes that connect to sub areas (Keelhaul Key and Twilight Town in particular could use them). This preview from Wccftech has played the game up to the end of Chapter 3 and already criticized the remake for its backtrack-heavy design.

Level design also seems to be largely identical, perhaps to a fault at times. While more recent Paper Marios arguably backslid in terms of story and combat, they offered undeniable improvements in terms of level design. By contrast, most areas in The Thousand-Year Door consist of a series of very straightforward linear paths littered with enemies and the occasional simple puzzle with players frequently having to backtrack. As far as I can tell, little has been done to alleviate or modernize this, and as early as TTYD’s first chapter I was starting to feel the grind a bit.

They kept the most important thing:
abkizk0e1nwc1.jpeg

That's not how this works.

It's almost certain at this point that TTYD was rebuilt in the modern engine, and "newer hardware" has never inherently meant "better framerate".
Since when did rebuilt from modern hardware mean it has to be half the framerate of the original?

The original was 60FPS so if a remake fails to match or exceed the original in a technical way that's going to be disappointing on some level.

You don’t have to lecture me about how game development works like you are some authority on the subject, and have key insight into how this remake was constructed. You don’t.

“ It's almost certain at this point that TTYD was rebuilt in the modern engine”

So, the new engine has a 30FPS framerate cap for some reason? How do you know this?

"newer hardware" has never inherently meant "better framerate”

It's a good thing I never said it did, but if you are going to remake a game then it’s not a huge ask to have it run at least as well as the original did.

My point was very clear, and I feel like you would have to have gone out of your way to intentionally miss it. :rolleyes:

Since when did rebuilt from modern hardware mean it has to be half the framerate of the original?
when did it mean it has to be the same? different rendering, different performance expectations. nothing is promised, you're fine to be disappointed, but there is no standard to be adhered to

Should have changed it to Xenoblade 2....
that wouldn't even make sense

Wow this game looks like it belongs in this generation. Just wow. The atmosphere, renewed music, QoL.

This game has to be like practice like legit training and foreshadowing for the next entry. I can't get over how good these menus look too.

They went all out.

The goombas were hitting on Goombella originally, her rejection prompted the battle.

Honestly, all this dialogue is different from the looks of it. A from the ground up relocalization.
I distinctly remember somebody saying "do you have beef with me" or something like that. Definitely can tell it's different.

I distinctly remember somebody saying "do you have beef with me" or something like that. Definitely can tell it's different.
I also notice they spoiled that Hooktail is female. In the original you didn't know Hooktail was female until Gloomtail spelled it ouright.

The original was 60FPS so if a remake fails to match or exceed the original in a technical way that's going to be disappointing on some level.

You don’t have to lecture me about how game development works like you are some authority on the subject, and have key insight into how this remake was constructed. You don’t.

“ It's almost certain at this point that TTYD was rebuilt in the modern engine”

So, the new engine has a 30FPS framerate cap for some reason? How do you know this?

"newer hardware" has never inherently meant "better framerate”

It's a good thing I never said it did, but if you are going to remake a game then it’s not a huge ask to have it run at least as well as the original did.

My point was very clear, and I feel like you would have to have gone out of your way to intentionally miss it. :rolleyes:
There's no 60fps standard to meet out of obligation. Different engines, different rendering. If this is your breaking point to avoid a game you have otherwise salivated for, that's your call, but 30fps isn't some unplayable nightmare scenario.

Back
Top Bottom