• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Octopath Traveler II announced for Switch, Playstation and Steam, launching February 24, 2023 (UPDATE: Prologue Demo available now, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also includes info on the updated job system.
They are really going all in on making this their hybrid of 16-bit JRPG with CRPG sensibilities. Having to quest around the world to unlock additional jobs is 🤌 ❤️

Only question I have is are the licenses just a party-wide cap on the number of instances of each job you have in the party or is it to unlock the job for a character of your choosing?

Just want to say that this looks great. Played the demo for the first one and liked it —never got around to playing the full game though. It seemed as though every impression I read said: hey, this is pretty good, but a sequel that fixes x, y, and z would be even better! I have to be selective since my time for massive rpgs is pretty limited — and I figured I’d just wait for the sequel! So, yes, I have been greatly looking forward to the sequel of a game I could have played any time over the past few years, but that I’ve been putting off because…I was waiting for the sequel! Anyone else ever do anything like this??

They are really going all in on making this their hybrid of 16-bit JRPG with CRPG sensibilities. Having to quest around the world to unlock additional jobs is 🤌 ❤️

Only question I have is are the licenses just a party-wide cap on the number of instances of each job you have in the party or is it to unlock the job for a character of your choosing?
I'd imagine party wide :unsure:

And (massive) yeah on your first point! Allow me to be a bitter fanboy for a moment but this game (or better yet franchise) has so much going on it's crazy to me people often only echo-chamber that boring: "story suckz, where party interaction?!" shite.

Edit: just to be crystal-clear here. I understand people wanting more of that, that's not what my post is saying.

The licenses are weird. Don’t remember those being in the first game. Feels like an unnecessary complication to a system that was already excellent in the first game.

Also not really a fan of Temenos’s music theme tbh.

The article states that it’s a cap. You can unlock up to three licenses per normal job, and only one for special jobs.

God, this game looks incredible. I can't get over it. The combat animations look so good, no sign of purple chests in the thief segment which would be a godsend.

HD-2D has been such a blessing, I really think this might end up being my GOTY next year

Every time I see this game I just realize how behind I am on RPGs. I still haven't even played Triangle Strategy or Live A Live

The licenses are weird. Don’t remember those being in the first game. Feels like an unnecessary complication to a system that was already excellent in the first game.

I imagine the base idea is to give more room for experimentation in combat, which is cool of course. Jury's still out on whether it's a good implementation or not. Though I agree that over-complication of systems on a game which felt very accessible while managing to retain depth isn't exactly desirable.

Also maybe a hot take, but I think that the OST won't be amazing as that of the first game. I'd love to be proven wrong but that perfect storm is hard to pull off twice in a row.
God, this game looks incredible. I can't get over it. The combat animations look so good, no sign of purple chests in the thief segment which would be a godsend.

HD-2D has been such a blessing, I really think this might end up being my GOTY next year
Yeah I wouldn't mind purple chest being removed/reworked (as a concept). I don't think I ever came back for any of them.

In the first game you couldn't have everyone with the same secondary job, so the licences give you more options.

In the first game you couldn't have everyone with the same secondary job, so the licences give you more options.
I’m cool with that aspect. I just don’t like how you need to earn one to unlock the job as a secondary in the first place. The game should give you one by default, and make you seek out the other two if you want more customization.

Hopefully the requirements for unlocking the first license for each job are pretty lax.

I like them adding some more complexity, I felt like the first game was a bit too simple and limited with the job system and abilities. But that may be me comparing it to Bravely Default

I wonder how much they'll advertise this on PS5/4. I imagine it will sell way better on Switch--I would find it so weird to play this game only on a TV. Octopath 1 was so good for handheld. Plus it seems Xbox/Sony folks aren't as big on these types of games. Like...I would not play the first one on my Xbox. Unsure why it feels so weird to me.

OST goes on sale on March 1st!

(@Maronic03 scrambling to not go bankrupt early next year)

Side note: it's cool that they're doing these dual character stories, but people will still, understandably, complain when the main stories feature once again the characters alone in cutscenes ahah. Oh well... gotta be creative with it and fill in the blanks.

Still, I hope (and I am confident), that if we get a post-game episode that ties everything together like in the first game we actually get VA and character interaction. OT I not having it always felt like a budget/time issue more than anything, also apparent when the only (if memory serves me correctly) ch. 4 to have VA in battle was Ophilia's.

Last edited:
This looks fantastic, Octopath 1 was a few tweaks away from going from “pretty good” to something really special, I hope they nail it this time.

I just beat the first octopath on xbox, color me excited for this. I pre ordered on ps5 but i could have gone for that version or the switch version. I just wanted a box, and since im all digital on switch and so far mostly physical on ps5, ps5 made sense in that moment.

Shouldn't have watched that latest trailer. I haven't been really following news and updates just cause I already know I'm getting the game but seeing the newest trailer has got me eager for March.

The soundtrack seems to be only accessible through CDJapan right now. They also link the european and amerian Square store but the soundtrack isn't there yet.

I'll wait for a bit, on CDjapan I usually use Registered Air Mail but they stopped shipping to France for almost year now.

Also maybe a hot take, but I think that the OST won't be amazing as that of the first game. I'd love to be proven wrong but that perfect storm is hard to pull off twice in a row.
This man really wants to prove me wrong uh... Well I'm not complaining!

Not listening to too much though, just a couple of previews.

I’m so looking forward to this. Got my copy of fire emblem hopefully arriving today and then that’ll tide me over until Octopath

Last stop, demo announcement in the soon to come February Nintendo Direct.
I think that’s a given since it’s Asano’s team but they must be feeling fairly confident if it’s going to drop so close to release. Usually S-E uses the demos to collect feedback which gets addressed at launch.

I think that’s a given since it’s Asano’s team but they must be feeling fairly confident if it’s going to drop so close to release. Usually S-E uses the demos to collect feedback which gets addressed at launch.
Yep yep. This time around they don't really need that type of feedback, given that Octopath is a known quantity with many of its systems and technical aspects already in place. They're just going to use the demo as a marketing tool.

Going by this useful post from quelseydilla:
Triangle Strategy's final demo came out 23 days before release, and Live A Live's was 24 days before release. The demo for the original Octopath Traveler was just under a month.
I think we can expect the demo-pattern to repeat, just cutting it closer than usual. I'd speculate it happens either in the first or the second week (1st/2nd, 8th/9th) of February. (though maybe this is just me wishing into existence an early Feb. Direct, given that Nintedno isn't even the WW publisher for the game ahah)

I completely forgot about the feedback demo we usually get with Team Asano games, but then again unlike their last few games this one was announced pretty close to release.

I completely forgot about the feedback demo we usually get with Team Asano games, but then again unlike their last few games this one was announced pretty close to release.
I don't know if they'll do feedback demos again anytime soon when their last game (Live Alive) also didn't get one. It only had a single "progress carries over to the full release" type of thing. I'd imagine they've dropped the dual demo format as of their current releases.

How big a gap was there between Bravely II demo and release?
BD II was an outlier, its final demo was announced via tweet well in advance of the game's release

I just want to warn you people, if Square doesn't deliver my copy on release day I'm gonna be so fucking unsufurable during the launch week-end.

I was gonna wait to play this, but the new music that's been coming out recently has been hyping me up.

Might go PC at first and pick up a cheaper Switch copy later on for the collection.

Letting the player tackle whichever chapter they prefer first (I'm assuming that's what's happening here), like pursuing mother or father for Throné. Leaving them freedom to choose smaller things, such as choosing a pet over the other for Ochette. Damn I love how they're switching things up nicely in the story department, where I'd agree variance in the chapter structures was previously lacking. Of course it remains to be seen whether the chapters themselves will feel formulaic, but as of now, I'd say these are good ideas on their own. Doesn't hurt that this even more freeing approach will also help with replay value.

Speed toggle is a fantastic addition as well. Hunters having unlimited uses for the beasts they've captured too? Sign me up!

Only thing I'm worried about is just how massive the game is going to be. Because if they haven't trimmed down on some aspects like encounter rate the main game+extras could be well above what, 100 hours?

Team Asano's greatest work yet incoming! (Bookmark this line and hopefully I don't look like a fool come Feb. 24th.)

Having this game drop within a week of Labyrinth of Galleria, when they're both absolutely massive turn-based JRPGs, is cruel. Different flavors of course, since one is a dungeon crawler, so maybe I'll end of actually playing both more or less at the same time? We'll see! Having two amazing games as options isn't really a bad thing, though.

Some of the game mechanics here are pretty funny

Some of the characters have a funny disparity between their night and day actions. In this trailer, Ochette has the ability to sic a giant monster on someone, then come back the next day and bribe them to join her with food

Also you can cook and eat your monster summons as Ochette, which is just hilarious if mildly dark. And I thought SMT had you be rude to your summons. Presumably you won't be able to do this to your "starter" because if so then oof

Anyways, that should be every character! Really liking how they're making each one have a decent set of unique mechanics by expanding on parts of the previous game. Really excited to see how this game ends up turning out, there's a lot of cool potential here

I started on Octopath Traveler a couple weeks ago. Yesterday I beat the final boss Galdera in Octopath Traveler and today I completed all Side Stories. This is one of the very few games I ever 100%'d and I'm excited to play the sequel sometime this year.

I did need some help from the internet with beating Galdera and finding people to allure/guide for completing Side Stories. Hopefully they add some form of optional (purchasable at an NPC maybe? like the Hint Toad in Super Mario Odyssey?) hints to make Side Stories in Octopath Traveler II easier to complete. Or a quest marker on the map? And I hope that we'll be able to view both the total number of Side Stories and number of Side Stories completed in each region too in the sequel.

Anyways, I hope this series is one to stay for a long time and that Octopath Traveler II improves on it!

im REALLY interested in a technical and artistic breakdown about the changes from OT 1 to 2. on first look it looked the same, but slightly more detailed, but after reading the interview from page 4...yeah, there is a lot more going on.

I would have probably heard about it if that was the case, but just to make sure, has there been any noise about a potential preview embargo from in the coming days?

I would have probably heard about it if that was the case, but just to make sure, has there been any noise about a potential preview embargo from in the coming days?
Wouldn't be surprised if we just got a demo drop after this week's (likely) Direct, maybe with press previews of said demo around the same time

Wouldn't be surprised if we just got a demo drop after this week's (likely) Direct, maybe with press previews of said demo around the same time
I see, I'm asking because I distinctly remember the first game having one. Jason Schreier wrote his own preview for Kotaku (he still worked there back then) which was pretty negative, it caused some pretty heated debates on Era. The debates in question even lead the OT name being something like "Worshiping the 60 dollars altar of 8 hyperbolic adventures". The mods changed it afterwards.

Last edited:
I see, I'm asking because I disntinctly remember the first game having one. Jason Schreier wrote his own preview for Kotaku (he still worked there back then) which was pretty negative, it caused some pretty heated debates on Era. The debates in question even lead the OT name being something like "Worshiping the 60 dollars altar of 8 hyperbolic adventures". The mods changed it afterwards.
After a quick google search it looks like final previews were on July 6th, only a week before the game's release. While reviews were a day ahead of release.

Of course they don't have to, they probably won't even, repeat the exact same press rollout, but yeah that's how it went.

Also, any hype for the demo clearly shadowdropping at this week's Nintendo Direct? ;P

After a quick google search it looks like final previews were on July 6th, only a week before the game's release. While reviews were a day ahead of release.

Of course they don't have to, they probably won't even, repeat the exact same press rollout, but yeah that's how it went.

Also, any hype for the demo clearly shadowdropping at this week's Nintendo Direct? ;P
I'm 100% expecting a shadow drop demo with the ability to carry your save to the final game.

Team Asano always does this: ALL Bravely games, Octopath, Triangle Strategy and Live A Live.

Can't wait to play it lmao.

My love for Octopath is as pure as it gets, I will therefore not play the demo in order to be able to play the game uninterrpupted once it's out unless Square doesn't deliver my collector edition on time because fuck that shit.

Although, a demo means getting full version of some tracks, so yes I am very much hyped for the demo.

I'm 100% expecting a shadow drop demo with the ability to carry your save to the final game.

Team Asano always does this: ALL Bravely games, Octopath, Triangle Strategy and Live A Live.

Can't wait to play it lmao.
Surprisingly none of the Bravely demos allowed you to carry over your save. The demo for Bravely Default had its own unique story, the Bravely Second demo was a prequel to the main game, and the demo for Bravely Default II started you off in the middle of chapter 2.

Surprisingly none of the Bravely demos allowed you to carry over your save. The demo for Bravely Default had its own unique story, the Bravely Second demo was a prequel to the main game, and the demo for Bravely Default II started you off in the middle of chapter 2.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that lol. The 3ds Bravely games were also 10 hour long demos.

Will this have an easy mode? I suck at most jrpg’s and when i hit a brick wall boss, it would be nice to just turn it down to casual instead of grinding for another 3 hours

Will this have an easy mode? I suck at most jrpg’s and when i hit a brick wall boss, it would be nice to just turn it down to casual instead of grinding for another 3 hours
Octopath is pretty much designed so that, rather than bashing your head against a boss fight in one story, you can go and start working on another, then come back with a team that’s stronger later on.

Last edited:
There is no need to grind in Octopath since leveling up offers very little in stat gains; the important things to consider are gear and abilities.

There is no need to grind in Octopath since leveling up offers very little in stat gains; the important things to consider are gear and abilities.
Thank you. I bought the first one again on steam, so ill give it another shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom