• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Octopath Traveler II announced for Switch, Playstation and Steam, launching February 24, 2023 (UPDATE: Prologue Demo available now, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This post by u/BoltGSR has a handy recap of all info currently shared by Square. (I know their era account but I don't know if they're on Fami, if anybody does maybe @ them?)

Ooh the Latent Powers seem neat

Curious to see if there are any changes made to the class system/more classes. Luckily the characters don't seem all that similar even in playstyle to their original game counterparts but I'd like some additional variety too

Also should really start the mobile game, I've heard good things

I really hope this is good. I was quite interested in the first but didn't end up playing it after hearing about how the interconnectedness didn't really work very well.

Really interesting that they're reusing all 8 classes. Wonder how differently they're gonna play.

So hyped! Why can't it be a timed exclusive for Nintendo? Oh well..
Probably because it's not needed, this will help them sell more copies faster and Nintendo is still happy to help promote the game since it'll sell most on Switch.

So happy about this! Did not expect it quite that soon. Loved the first game, and this looks just as amazing.

Probably my favourite announcement of the Direct.

This also likely means that DQ3 is still a ways off, although that shouldn't really be a surprise. Two more HD-2D games in 2023 though, they're really going all in.

This also likely means that DQ3 is still a ways off, although that shouldn't really be a surprise. Two more HD-2D games in 2023 though, they're really going all in.
lol i was banking dq3 taking the usual asano's 'winter' slot before this even though i knew ot2 exist

This was completely unexpected. I am absolutely getting this.
I just hope it doesn't take me 90+ hours and four years like the first one.

Yea. Unless Square has a surprise TGS announcement on their own, I'm not expecting it for at least 12 months. IMO this project was announced too early.

Wouldn't this and DQ3 have completely different dev teams? I think it's entirely possible it's still a ways off, but Triangle Strategy and Live A Live released fewer than 5 months apart. I don't think it's unthinkable that DQ3 would be summer or something with this game releasing in February. Could be further out than that of course but Octopath Traveler 2 doesn't really impact it I don't think.

Wouldn't this and DQ3 have completely different dev teams? I think it's entirely possible it's still a ways off, but Triangle Strategy and Live A Live released fewer than 5 months apart. I don't think it's unthinkable that DQ3 would be summer or something with this game releasing in February. Could be further out than that of course but Octopath Traveler 2 doesn't really impact it I don't think.
they're most likely different dev teams. OT2 is probably back with Acquire

So hyped! Why can't it be a timed exclusive for Nintendo? Oh well..
Does it really matter when this will most likely sell best on the Switch. Not to mention now more people can play it and we don't have to contend with fanboys complaining about "exclusivity."

Hook it up to my veins!!

I’m guessing OT1 coming to PS is going to be one of tonight’s announcements?

Please, PLEASE do something about the leveling system. Benched members not getting any exp and newcomers starting at Lv 1 made the first game a very tedious grindfest.

I am very much interested in this, the first game was amazing. I'm glad they're keeping the same classes but with eight different characters. I like the more 19th century vibe from it this time.

And yes at more interlinked stories, this was my main gripe with the story from the first game, glad they're working on it

The trailer showed me a lot of progress team Asano has accumulated over the years with 2DHD art style. It feels like a natural progression over Live a Live, where graphical effects are cleaned up and cutscenes are directed from way more perspectives this time (isometric top down, isometric ground level, perspective ground level, etc.). I'm in.

This is like the third 2D-HD game that was announced (and will probably be released) since DQIII remake was shown as a teaser and we haven't had any info on that since :(

Wonder how they'll do the interacting stories this time around, it seems like they're still keeping the main campaigns for each character relatively standalone

From the blog it kinda sounds like the interactions will be more like side stories? Since it specifically says "additional stories". But since they appear to be voiced they'll probably be pretty meaty anyways, and I imagine based on the campfire scene being prioritized in the boxart that smaller party chat like interactions will be way more common

Wonder how they'll do the interacting stories this time around, it seems like they're still keeping the main campaigns for each character relatively standalone

From the blog it kinda sounds like the interactions will be more like side stories? Since it specifically says "additional stories". But since they appear to be voiced they'll probably be pretty meaty anyways, and I imagine based on the campfire scene being prioritized in the boxart that smaller party chat like interactions will be way more common
I would assume it'll be like the first game, just more integration. More character interaction during individual chapters, and most likely more of a team up nearer the end. That's not based on a whole lot other than my feeling from the trailer, though

I was secretly hoping this would be announced at the direct, but I thought maybe DQIII would get the 2023 spotlight for HD-2D. Really happy Octopath 2 is coming out so soon. Everything shown so far is looking great. The OST is going to be an insta-buy too.

I really loved the 2017/18 timeframe with Xenoblade 2 -> Octopath -> Torna. Getting a repeat for 22/23 with Xenoblade 3 -> Octopath 2 -> Xenoblade 3 DLC is going to be sweet.

Not sure how I feel about these new characters. No ones leaping out so far as someone I want to get to know but if I end up trying this out someone's bound to grow on me. Maybe I'll be more up for another RPG once its out.

From my understanding, Champions of the Continent already addressed some of the common complaints about the original Octopath, did it not? If so, there's not much to worry about this one, it being the proper sequel.

They're almost certainly developed by different teams, but they aren't going to release two HD-2D games in quick succession. DQIII is probably summer 2023 at the absolute earliest, although I'd bank on it being fall 2023.

it's very nice to see how they imrpoved the general image quality over the first one, through all the various games (TS, LaL, now this..)!

So this time no more Switch exclusive. And it's skipping Xbox (Phil better give them a bag of money) and the first(?) HD-2D game to release on a Sony platform.
Curious to see if this means Square Enix is publishing the game worldwide. That’d be a first, too.

So apparently the stories will intertwine more than the original?

I'm still hoping it gets a Fire Emblem-esque support system.

the characters will still have individual stories, but running into other characters on occasion are story/sidequest events now

Still IDK. Making the heroes run into each other like that can either run against the "complete in any order" nature of the game or be really insubstantial and pointless.

I know that gets into the tiresome "open vs linear" debate, but there's a real difficulty there.

The game is nice and all, but if they use that bland white text over black game icon on Switch one more time, I'd travel to Japan personally and fix it using Asano's computer. How could these people not use those gorgeous game art on their icons?

Curious to see if this means Square Enix is publishing the game worldwide. That’d be a first, too.
I'm guessing the success of Octopath Traveler, Bravely Default 2, Triangle Strategy, and Live A Live has given Square Enix enough confidence to publish Team Asano's games themselves. Hopefully SE will give this game some decent marketing in that case and not throw it to the wolves like they did with NTWEWY. At the very least I think Nintendo will help push the Switch version.

God I was so excited to see this. I was for SURE expecting this sequel on the next Switch...it's a day one, no doubt!

Going with the OCTOPATH character names again, I see. Oh well, I think it will take a few more entries before it feels too stupid and forced.

Please, PLEASE do something about the leveling system. Benched members not getting any exp and newcomers starting at Lv 1 made the first game a very tedious grindfest.
Agreed hard.

If it's anything like the first game, the soundtrack is going to be exceptional
Already salivating at the prospect. Or whatever ears do that are like salivating.

Don’t think I’ll be able to pick this up at launch as I still have a backlog to get through, including Live A Live, but man does the game look good.

If it's anything like the first game, the soundtrack is going to be exceptional

Oh yeah, the Octopath OST is glorious. Same composer, so we should be in for a treat.
The game is nice and all, but if they use that bland white text over black game icon on Switch one more time, I'd travel to Japan personally and fix it using Asano's computer. How could these people not use those gorgeous game art on their icons?
I was going to say the same thing. I swear to god, if we get that black and white text icon again instead of that beautiful boxart masterpiece...

OK I preordered.
I hope they'll get rid of the biggest flaws of the first one though : the repetitiveness of the structure of the game (town-dungeon-town-dungeon with boss) and the fact that the stories weren't linked in a bigger one. Apparently the latter is being adressed.

I am in for this if they tweak some stuff from the first. Hopefully the game structure does a better job blending together the individual stories, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom