• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Ocarina of Time Remake: 1:1 or Reimagining?

What Kind Of Ocarina of Time Remake Would You Prefer?

• 1:1 Remake, The Original Game In All Its Glory

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • A Reimagining With A Lot Of New & Fresh Changes

Votes: 152 77.9%

• Total voters
If they did a complete reimagining for OOT, you KNOW fans would be wanted Majora's Mask with the same treatment since its the sequel. And that would be much harder to do imo.

How far would this reimagining go? Would it be an open world game like BoTW/ToTK. That'd be a pretty extreme departure but could be interesting.

or just opened up somewhat maybe only importing the RPG elements from BoTW/ToTK to give reason to extra stuff you do. Maybe you need to sorta gear up this time for each segment of the game.

I really question if they would mess with the heart piece system for example.

I think they should remake one of the many Zelda games that has not been remade before making another OoT remake/remaster/rerelease whatever. I dunno, a Zelda 2 remake would be pretty neat. Or Minish Cap for something more traditional.

I think they should remake one of the many Zelda games that has not been remade before making another OoT remake/remaster/rerelease whatever. I dunno, a Zelda 2 remake would be pretty neat. Or Minish Cap for something more traditional.

While I’d still prefer Ocarina of Time over any of those or any other Zelda for that matter, I would love to have a remake of Zelda 2. It’s the perfect Zelda game that they could remake into a Metroidvania.

I really don’t see the point of an ocarina of time reimagining in the vein of ff7 remake.
Unlike square enix, that was stuck for decades trying to reach the peak popularity of ff7 until they just decided to remake it because no other final fantasy game could reach the status of ff7, Nintendo already surpass Ocarina of time in terms of impact and popularity with Breath of the Wild. That’s the most iconic and popular zelda game now and I don’t think the opportunity costs of sidelining a new Zelda game just to create another new Zelda game but with ocarina of time’s skin is worth it.
I could see it in a parallel universe where Botw didn’t exist and the zelda team was still stuck on the oot structure but now it just doesn’t feel like a big deal, definitely not as big as a new game so what would even be the point?
If someone wants to play ocarina of time they can play the n64 version, there’s nothing wrong with a game being old. An hd remaster could be really cool as a filler title but I don’t think it should be a top priority, this discussion kind of just feels like early 2000 “what’s the best game ever war” between oot and ff7 and since ff7 got a huge reimagined remake oot needs one too.
Maybe in 10 years zelda fans will start asking for a BotW remake.

I also don't see any value in a "reimagining" of Ocarina of Time. OoT has stood the test of time better than pretty much any other game from that era, obviously improvements have been made but it was the game that built the skeleton of pretty much all modern 3D games.

Just upgrade the graphics, add obvious QOL improvements like camera controls, gyro aim, auto-save etc., and it's still one of the best games of all time.

I would see very interesting to have OoT with a similar treatment like ALBW had. Imagine to do the first three dungeons in the order you like and then the other five as well. They could even create a new dungeon for the light medallion.

And I wouldn't create a Hyrule much bigger than the original. I mean, just similar but visually upgraded. I mean, I don't want something like FF7 Remake. The best example to compare is A Link Between Worlds, which is a pseudo-remake but also a new game.

New, but with the same kingdom, similar characters, new abilities, new dungeons with the same theme. And a new scheme of playing that allows the player to feel free.

By the way, I also think Adventure of Link would be very interesting to have again with a metroidvania style.

So you want them to give us the same tools. but the dungeons are basically completely different than they were before and sort of subvert your expectations on how to use the items we've grown accustomed to. That's sort of how ALBW is.

I think the RPG in TOTK/BOTW could be applied as well. Zelda II and BOTW/TOTK give reason to enemy encounters (even if the reasons are invisible to the player in the case of the latter) But you aren't going to get good weapons unless you level up in BOTW/TOTK, which does limit how far you can go dependant on your skill level, but it also feels like a natural progression.

3D Zelda equipment systems are pretty...ehh. I say import BOTW/TOTK system and improve it. (Melee and Armor)
You can keep the tools we love for puzzle solving. We don't have runes to solve puzzles. But weaponry, and equipment can be all RPG.
Could increase durability of weaponry, and make it so that enemies don't drop their weaponry so you don't have an abundance and you don't question.. "hey why didn't I receive the bow that bokoblin was using?" Weaponry only from smithies/shops/chests. Rewards for exploration and defeating enemy camps etc.

Hold L to select your traditional puzzle-solving tool once you unlock them. Megaton, Bow etc

and yeah I agree, de-lineate the child segment and the adult segment. (go to any town/dungeon within part 1 (child) and part 2 (adult))

As for what to do with hearts/stamina/magic. I mean they could just implement a Zelda 2 style exp system and you just choose which to level up.
This could give equal meaning to sidequests (which I'm assuming there would be bloat in a huge reimagining!) and enemy encounters.

Grottos/caves could evolve into something slightly similar to the shrines, a little more involved. At least some of them.

Damn now I want this game.

Last edited:
They already made an Ocarina of Time remake/reimagining: it was called Twilight Princess
Hard disagree. Games that follow general structure formulas don't qualify as remakes/reimaginings. It has to use the same story and characters.

Yes, I know your post is satire lol.

Hard disagree. Games that follow general structure formulas don't qualify as remakes/reimaginings. It has to use the same story and characters.

Yes, I know your post is satire lol.
I mean, this does highlight an issue with an OoT remake though: the game was so influential and popular it's basic formula was followed by Nintendo multiple times. Any reimagining also risks running into the same issues those ones did: TP, Wind Waker, and Skyward Sword all had significant pacing and content issues compared to OoT.

The vast majority of successful videogame franchises do that.

Iterating on success is smart.

I shared many ideas for a reimagining above the integrates ideas from the new formula into the old.

1:1, basically what we got on 3DS but with better graphics, maybe voice acting.

Twilight Princess is basically already a reimagining anyway, but I'd rather they save any new ideas and resources for something entirely original.

Ocarina of Time: Cosy Edition

Looking and sounding beautiful and hitting all the nostalgia buttons

Twilight Princess is not a reimagining in even the slightest of ways. It has a similar structure, but that’s where it begins and ends. It’s a sequel with its own unique characters, story, and just about everything else.

Twilight Princess is not a reimagining in even the slightest of ways. It has a similar structure, but that’s where it begins and ends. It’s a sequel with its own unique characters, story, and just about everything else.
Yeah, people say this kind of stuff about Twilight Princess too much. Honestly, if it was just a reimagining, people would have liked it more so yeah lol. Obviously, it's pretty different.

Pretty sure it comes from the time when Nintendo made it clear their goal was to make the next Ocarina after everyone complained about the whimsy of Windwaker. But they meant the tone of the game IMO. All of them follow that structure.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom