• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Ocarina of Time Remake: 1:1 or Reimagining?

What Kind Of Ocarina of Time Remake Would You Prefer?

• 1:1 Remake, The Original Game In All Its Glory

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • A Reimagining With A Lot Of New & Fresh Changes

Votes: 152 77.9%

• Total voters
I want an official way to play Ocarina of Time on the TV at a higher resolution and framerate.

A visual remake on the level of Prime Remastered that preserves the original level design would be perfect.

The 3DS version is heavily built around that hardware. Shrunken FOV, increased brightness, reframed scenes - all to emphasize the 3D effect and improve visibility on a 3.5 inch 240p screen.

Simply rendering this in HD wouldn't be enough - they would need to increase the poly count, texture quality, etc. The visual style of the remake is a good base that is authentic to the original art, but they would need to get higher source assets if they're available or start 'from scratch'.

I voted for reimagining but I’m curious… for those who also voted that option, would go for a 1:1 remake instead if they opted to update it visually to match what we saw in that Wii U tech demo? Because honestly, if that’s what we’d get for that kind of remake, I think I’d take it over the reimagining.

My kinda out there dream is that Nintendo would re-imagine OoT as a top down 2D. And then also re-imagine either LoZ or aLttP as a 3D game.

I think it kind of needs a re-imagining...

Is that blasphemous to say
I love that game ... but I've also played it countless times... it would be neat to see it retold with modern mechanics/visuals...

And I think I say this because after OOT 3D I still prefer to play the original ... so something completely redone would excite me

I mean we already got a 1:1 remake. They should rerelease that. A reimagining would be interesting, I think. There’s a lot they could do to make that version of Hyrule feel more alive.

Nintendo could always to the Square Enix route:
• Release OOT 3D HD with a straight face (FFVII HD)
• And then release OOT Remake

I'll take the remake. I'm not sure how they'd be able to do a reimagining. It's not an rpg or heavy story focused game.
In my opinion, I think just making the world a bit bigger and fleshing out even more of the world would go a long way into breathing more life into the OoT era. I wouldn't want them to go completely FF7R and make major changes to the story, but expanding Hyrule field and maybe adding more points of interest or another town or two would certainly add more variety.

I also wouldn't say no to a 6 or 7 hour campaign where you play as Zelda during the 7 year gap that fleshes her out and shows us how she became sheik.

I'm not generally big on the reimagining trend. Many times, you might as well just make something new.

For options here, I'd probably lean toward 1:1 (-ish, at least) of Ocarina of Time but also include Majora's Mask with the same treatment. Visually, I'd say to maintain the liminal otherworldliness created by the N64, without filling in every detail. Majora's Mask gets the heavy shading of its concept art applied.

Take this and then make a new followup that plays off of them.

If it had to be a heavier reworking, though, I'd suggest taking the bones and building on them. Make the world feel more lived in and fleshed out, with a stronger sense of place and history. Additional quests, maybe some more locations (created with purpose), extra little dungeons, allusions to myth and history and overall lore. Secrets that invite returning to areas. Whispers of a shadow warrior striking back against oppressive forces and defending the helpless these long seven years.

It would be an opportunity to play with ideas from cut content or even to adapt the old rumors as little bonuses.

There are opportunities there, but they'd have to be considered very carefully.

Also, it still needs Majora's Mask. It's not complete without that.

Well, I'm surprised how that poll is going. But if we ask the same people if they'd rather have ocarina of time or twilight princess and watch how that "reimagined version" percentage goes through the floor.

Anyway, the less companies that do what square are with ff7 the better. Companies shouldn't be embarrassed as to what their games were like, like square is, modern square would have hated so much about ff7.

I’d say a reimagining, but not to the level of FFVII. Still keep the general formula, vibe, and pace, but really modernize the world design, combat, etc. if that makes any sense? So maybe closer to a remake, but just a really high-level remake.

Well, I'm surprised how that poll is going. But if we ask the same people if they'd rather have ocarina of time or twilight princess and watch how that "reimagined version" percentage goes through the floor.

Anyway, the less companies that do what square are with ff7 the better. Companies shouldn't be embarrassed as to what their games were like, like square is, modern square would have hated so much about ff7.
The only similarities between TP and OOT are the structure in which you gain each mcgruffin and a few of the dungeon themes. Other than that the two are wildly different but equally good imo games.

--------

Also on a side note they technically already got a lot of OOT assets already made in the BOTW style. I wouldn't want a open air version of OOT but I'd be curious what OOT would be like if it were reimagined from the perspective of BOTWs Hyrule, where it's treating that Hyrule (which is the only Hyrule we can actually say this for due to all the references) as the true canon Hyrule. I feel like if they reimagined it like that they could then build off a few of the plot threads they introduced in TotK...you know assuming they'd actually care to try and do that, and also assuming they want to try and give TotKs memories a defined placement.

Straight remake with a bit of polish.
A reimagining sounds cool but it’d face stiff comparison with the BOTW series, and doing it like that would possibly remove the things that made OOT work.

Reimagining, we had a straight remake already. However, also remake Majora's Mask and tie the two remakes together. I want to see the effects of the war and the 7-year period to linger on Link. In MM, he would be suffering from PTSD and feeling lost and I feel like a remake could really nail that point home. There was a fan made manga that showed link becoming friends with two brothers in hyrule town and then during the war while Link was asleep, one joined ganondorf and one stayed loyal. Link has to kill the turncoat brother and then at the end of OoT he is sent back so it never happened and upon seeing the brothers Link can't handle it. I think these would be the two best games to really delve into Link's mindset and his character.

Both. Give me an updated version of the 3DS port, and go ham on a reimagining.

As long as the original is available regularly, I'm good.

There's already two, still very playable, versions of Ocarina of Time. If there's another one, I would rather have a reimagining with new dungeons, temples, and overworlds to explore.

Genuinely don't see what a reimagining could add to OoT that wouldn't feel superfluous or put to better use in an original game. This idea that every aspect of a game needs to somehow be "fleshed out" is really weird to me.

Genuinely don't see what a reimagining could add to OoT that wouldn't feel superfluous or put to better use in an original game. This idea that every aspect of a game needs to somehow be "fleshed out" is really weird to me.
If any game could use fleshing out, it's Wind Waker, the game that literally had its potential 3rd dungeon eviscerated and replaced by a long boat ride. Ocarina is just the most popular one.

Not that I would be opposed to it. But Ocarina is genuinely a well aged game as is with just some minor improvements.

The world is what needs fleshing out.

The whole thing about OoT is that for those of us who played it at release (especially if we were kids) it was the original open world game. The "Hyrule Field moment" was a meme for a reason. It was that first "I can go ANYWHERE?!?" moment for a generation, and that feeling alone has sold hundreds of millions of action/adventure/RPG games. The fact that it was all a bit of an illusion and the game-path is pretty linear was irrelevant. Hyrule Field was, for most of us, our first open-world moment, and it was mindblowing.

By contrast, releasing the same OoT game today post-BotW and those hundreds of other open-worlds, Hyrule Field (and the game world as a whole) feels about as big as a living room. And it feels limited and somewhat artificial as a result.

You don't need to change progression or the fairly linear game-path design, you just need to flesh out Hyrule Field and make it bigger with more to do and see.

The UI and combat systems also need massive improvement, obviously.

This is a very interesting thread. I'm not sure how to phrase how I feel about it. I definitely don't want some sort of Ocarina 3DS HD, but if it means spending 5-6 years developing a game, then I'd always prefer that to be spent on a brand new game rather than a remake, even if it is a very ambitious remake.

On the other hand, when I see what Square is doing with FF7, I can't help but really want to see this kind of work done on Ocarina and even Majora, partly because it would be great to play, but also and above all because I think it would be a good way of reaching an audience and generations that are put off today by the limitations of the N64 and didn't grow up when it was a technical feat to make these games. As much as I love Ocarina, I honestly think it hasn't aged as well as, say, Mario 64. And it's such an important and seminal game that it certainly deserves a real update.

We can see that Gamecube games, at least for the time being, stand the test of time a little better than N64 games in the eyes of people who didn't grow up with these consoles, including in terms of the scope and comfort of the experience. So we'd have to agree on what a 1:1 remake would be, but a reimagining would make a lot more sense to me. However, as exciting as that is, such a project only seems viable to me if it takes great care not to distort the essence of the game by modernising it. Which means that it would have to be given the same attention to detail, the same care, and the same relentless perfectionism as a brand new Zelda game.

And so I return to my initial objection: does this mean that such a project should replace a new entrance? I don't want it to. The best-case scenario I could imagine is that the Switch's lifecycle has been long enough to have two games. In that case I could imagine a new game AND a very ambitious revamp of Ocarina in the same generation. But it seems unlikely to me that the circumstances that allowed BotW and Totk to coexist in the same generation will happen again any time soon.

In short, I don't know.

They did reimagine OOT, that's where we got Twilight Princess from /s

Honestly, we JUST got done lionizing OOT with the last two Zelda games where practically everything linked to it in some way. I'm honestly fine leaving OOT alone for a while longer and focus on new experiences. Zelda doesn't have to repeat OOT forever.

First of all, nice thread idea! After beating OoT the other week on NSO I have to say that not much is wrong with the original and it aged beautifully. That being said, I think I would prefer a visual enhancement like OoT3D, even the same core graphics if you please and just scale that up to 1440p or 4k. Keep the QOL changes of the 3DS remake and maybe even sprinkle in a few more, or a useful wax to spend all those rupees and I'm set.

The world is what needs fleshing out.

The whole thing about OoT is that for those of us who played it at release (especially if we were kids) it was the original open world game. The "Hyrule Field moment" was a meme for a reason. It was that first "I can go ANYWHERE?!?" moment for a generation, and that feeling alone has sold hundreds of millions of action/adventure/RPG games. The fact that it was all a bit of an illusion and the game-path is pretty linear was irrelevant. Hyrule Field was, for most of us, our first open-world moment, and it was mindblowing.

By contrast, releasing the same OoT game today post-BotW and those hundreds of other open-worlds, Hyrule Field (and the game world as a whole) feels about as big as a living room. And it feels limited and somewhat artificial as a result.

You don't need to change progression or the fairly linear game-path design, you just need to flesh out Hyrule Field and make it bigger with more to do and see.

The UI and combat systems also need massive improvement, obviously.
You need waaaaay more options for traversal early on in order to accomodate a larger Hyrule Field. And frankly, as soon as you change how Hyrule Field works, you outta change the rest of the game after that. And you then have to add more options around how the field even functions or you'll get a Twilight Princess situation where, even though you have more enemies and a larger field there's still jack all to do in it. Of course, you could just add more enemies and be done there.

Even if OOT is a smaller game that's no barrier to entry if the game just plays well.

What would an ALBW type of OOT sequel/spiritual successor be called? A Link Between Time?
Japan had it easy, as they just went from Triforce of the Gods to Triforce of the Gods 2, so straight up Ocarina of Time 2 is a possibility. Putting that aside it's probably hard to come up with a good title without knowing what new gameplay gimmicks are in there or how it relates to OOT. Ocarina of Space? Ocarina of Eternity?

You need waaaaay more options for traversal early on in order to accomodate a larger Hyrule Field. And frankly, as soon as you change how Hyrule Field works, you outta change the rest of the game after that. And you then have to add more options around how the field even functions or you'll get a Twilight Princess situation where, even though you have more enemies and a larger field there's still jack all to do in it.
Twilight Princess Hyrule Field gets a really bad rap and I don't know why. It has little challenges or hidden corners for heart pieces or chests that require specific items, hidden grottos (that aren't as identical as they were in OoT), golden bugs, poes, mini dungeons, the owl statues. It's easily the most content populated overworld a 3D Zelda has ever had, bar maybe Majora's Mask.

It's just annoying that, like in Wind Waker, you might as well ignore the overworld until halfway through the game.

Usually I prefer faithful remasters but I've played this game so much that a graphic remake wouldn't excite me at all.

Then again Nintendo don't do reimaginings. But if I could choose I'd like to see that. I don't need an open world necessarily but I'd like a bigger hyrule with more secrets and stuff to find like korok seeds.

... oops. The Legend of Zelda: A Wrinkle in Time was also supposed to be in response to this:
- Old man quest -

An accidental timerift glitch post-game makes Link travel 70 years into the future instead of 7.

This is fun because we're all old as hell now. So we can place ourselves into the character.

Oh and the temple of light is fixed.

Twilight Princess Hyrule Field gets a really bad rap and I don't know why. It has little challenges or hidden corners for heart pieces or chests that require specific items, hidden grottos (that aren't as identical as they were in OoT), golden bugs, poes, mini dungeons, the owl statues. It's easily the most content populated overworld a 3D Zelda has ever had, bar maybe Majora's Mask.

It's just annoying that, like in Wind Waker, you might as well ignore the overworld until halfway through the game.
Well, you have to basically ignore the damn overworld to get the most out of it is the problem. And again the rewards are not good since they're mainly Ruppees in a game where you will not need them for enough.

Well, you have to basically ignore the damn overworld to get the most out of it is the problem. And again the rewards are not good since they're mainly Ruppees in a game where you will not need them for enough.
The HD version is probably better about this than any other 3D Zelda prior to BotW, there are a surprising amount of things to dump a ton of rupees into and you do have the magic armor to always have a use for them in the endgame. I feel like the economy of every single Zelda with wallets is kinda fucked though, those were such a terrible idea. The HD ports just put some band aids on the GameCube games.

But no Zelda game really has hugely useful rewards, bar maybe the really old ones like Zelda 1 and ALttP. I usually end up valuing the variety of the objectives and rewards themselves a lot more than the actual utility of them. I actually really like the addition of the stamps in HD for this, now that Miiverse is shut down they literally do nothing, but they're another thing to find and collect that isn't disposable like rupees. Their main value add is that they make what you're getting more uncertain, finding a chest is more interesting when you almost never know for sure what type of item it will have in it. And they give you another completionist thing to go for that will have you combing through every nook and cranny of the overworld, which the original version kind of lacked a good motivation for with how many of the chests only contained rupees.

The HD version is probably better about this than any other 3D Zelda prior to BotW, there are a surprising amount of things to dump a ton of rupees into and you do have the magic armor to always have a use for them in the endgame. I feel like the economy of every single Zelda with wallets is kinda fucked though, those were such a terrible idea. The HD ports just put some band aids on the GameCube games.

But no Zelda game really has hugely useful rewards, bar maybe the really old ones like Zelda 1 and ALttP. I usually end up valuing the variety of the objectives and rewards themselves a lot more than the actual utility of them. I actually really like the addition of the stamps in HD for this, now that Miiverse is shut down they literally do nothing, but they're another thing to find and collect that isn't disposable like rupees. Their main value add is that they make what you're getting more uncertain, finding a chest is more interesting when you almost never know for sure what type of item it will have in it. And they give you another completionist thing to go for that will have you combing through every nook and cranny of the overworld, which the original version kind of lacked a good motivation for with how many of the chests only contained rupees.
I actually think most Zelda games have interesting rewards (despite what I said prior)... under specific circumstances...

I recently played 3 challenge runs of OOT, MM and WW where I just didn't pick up anything other than Rupees (while also playing Hero mode when I could). This was so I had to use the shops to purchase consumables and believe me when I say, the games changed radically for me. When you are forced to actually interact with the general economy of a Zelda game, suddenly getting a bunch of Rupees in a chest goes from being a nuisance to a genuine treasure.

This is why I largely vibe with BoTW and ToTk for (at least a while) letting me interact with shops for more than just 1 time upgrades. I just prefer that survivalist mentality in Zelda games.

Absolutely a reimagining. I think the OoT concept (young/adult link timelines) is so good, but I don’t want them to reuse it with a new unrelated game necessarily. Using it for a reimagining of OoT makes the most sense.

I’m not sure how well OoT works with the scale of Breath of the Wild, but I’d be more than happy to see what the developers come up with.

I feel like I'd prefer a reimagining, mostly because if I want to play OoT with QoL improvements, OoT 3D and the PC port will always be there.

However I get the feeling if Nintendo would do a reimagining, they'd probably use that to make the game less linear and more in line with BotW and TotK's structure. It makes a ton of sense especially with the largely empty Hyrule Field, but I'd probably prefer it to be a reimagining that still keeps OoT's classic linear design.

I think I'd just prefer a new, linear 3D Zelda in between the next Open World one that will probably take a while, even from building off of BotW/TotK.

I wouldn't bother playing it if it were just a straight remake. I don't see the point of those for anyone who's played the original
Because easier to replay if you wanted to on your new device. Plenty like replaying games for things they missed or just because, and sometimes it's harder to do with the old ones

I really don’t think Ocarina of Time needs a remake. The 3DS version was just fine, upscale that and sell it again, yes i’m serious, it was a great version of the game.

That being said, if this remake absolutely needs to exist, it might as well be a re-imagining to give us another fresh take on the game.

But definitely not “OOT in the BOTW engine” like some people suggest, that’s such an idiotic idea.

Reimagining where the game is made much prettier & larger but not insanely so. New areas, much larger field, more side-quests & mini-games. Maybe a brand new game set in the same world? Either could work but certainly something to give the feeling of scale to fit with overhauled visuals.

I also don't think OoT does need another remake.
But that game is so beloved that FF VII Remake might have given Nintendo ideas for a reimagining.
Imo the other 3D Zeldas up until BotW/TotK are just not "big" enough for an extensive reimagining.

I would want a very compact, detail-filled open world with seamless transitions between areas.
Maybe a few more good sidequests, better controls, fighting enhanced, and that's about it.
An open-world game, I can 100% in 20 to 40 hours.

And for a meaty DLC a year later, Majora's Mask in the same engine...

Reimagining, will make it more interesting for those who have played the original to death and allow for huge QoL improvements, and to implement lessons learned since then.

I'd love it to happen.

Definitely reimagining. I'd love to see the time travel mechanic back as a way of storytelling for sidequests. As I don't see Nintendo doing another Zelda game with this concept reimagining is the best I can get.

They did reimagine OOT, that's where we got Twilight Princess from /s
You might /s, but you're right
Wasn't Twilight Princess a Link to the Past reimagining, but with much less cute pink-haired bunny and much more sad wolf with magic-haired imp?

Zelda doesn't have to repeat OOT forever.
It's time for Majora's Mask to shine!

I do think that Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask combination and the new followup game building off thematic, plot, and gameplay elements would work.

But there's also room for a direct followup to Wind Waker!

Something completely different? That's nonsense talk.

Well yes, but you see, Ocarina of Time was also an A Link to the Past reimagining, but with much less other dimension warped by Ganon and much more bad future warped by Ganon.
You can claim that ALTTP, OoT, FSA, TP and TotK were all reimagining of each others to a certain extent!

Why not reimagination of OoT as a new game? I mean, the same characters, same world but with a different story, dungeons and even mechanics.

Actually, this is not new. A Link Between Worlds started as a remake of A Link to the Past and at the end it got into a new game inspired by ALttP.

Well, I think that's the key. I want the ALBW of OoT.

Back
Top Bottom