• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Ocarina of Time Remake: 1:1 or Reimagining?

What Kind Of Ocarina of Time Remake Would You Prefer?

• 1:1 Remake, The Original Game In All Its Glory

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • A Reimagining With A Lot Of New & Fresh Changes

Votes: 152 77.9%

• Total voters

Rareware

Like Like
A friend and I were discussing this very scenario a couple of days ago and I thought I’d bring it up for discussion here. If Nintendo were to remake Ocarina of Time once again, what kind of remake would you want?

Another 1:1 remake like the one we received on 3DS, but this time with even greater graphical improvements thanks to the power of the new hardware? Basically the same game you know and love, but just prettier with some quality of life changes to improvement.

Or would you like a reimagining of the game similar to what Capcom has been doing with their Resident Evil remakes? A lot of new stuff and changes aplenty to surprise those who played the original game.

Nintendo is Nintendo, and if they were going to make a substantially different game I have no doubt it would jsut be a new game rather than a remake

I'd take that "Original Game But Fancier" game, without shame

Similar to my reaction to RE4, my thought on Ocarina of Time would be "Shouldn't this be a new game? This seems out of step with Nintendo's entire design ethos"

First off, cool thread idea!

Personally, I'd go with a reimagining with the caveat that it isn't an open air Zelda game a la Breath of the Wild. There's a lot that has aged well about Ocarina of Time - its dungeon design and its music are still top notch - but some things, like the camera and the combat, make it show its age. I don't want them to go Final Fantasy 7 Remake with it, but something to the level of Resident Evil 2 Remake would be sick.

If we got Ocarina of Time 3D with an even nicer coat of paint, it'd still be Ocarina of Time, warts and all. If they're going to give it yet another update, just go all out and reimagine it. I think it'd scratch a nice itch too for people who aren't a fan of Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom. They could go and flesh out the towns in the game, update the combat, among some other things.

If I can hope and dream, I want it to be a fresh reimagining. Built from the ground up and not just updated textures and polygon counts. Hyrule Field has been explored numerous times and if ever there was a time to take attention to detail and rebuilt a beloved classic to make it stand out for all the right reasons, it's now.

I'm still greatly disappointed in SM3DAS that they refused to improve Super Mario 64 in any meaningful way. Probably because the developers are too scared to touch Miyamoto's baby, but come on. The game itself may be accessible in the letter of the law, but so many proto-3D game design decisions hold it back and make it difficult for any newcomer to get into who is already raised on modern gaming conventions. No one can look at me with a straight face and tell me the camera controls are so much as feasible in 2024.

Ocarina of Time has a chance to do something great. It doesn't need to become another open-air adventure; it's identity is set, but it's time to flesh out those details, provide the voice acting like BOTW/TOTK for major setpiece characters (Link still doesn't have to talk), offer new lush designs, provide more drama and make the cutscenes sparkle with life and dramatic flair.

If it were going to be a re-imagining, I think it would probably just be a new game. Like “A Link Between Worlds” was to “A Link to the Past”. The similarities are there but the new stuff keeps it from just being the same game.

In that sense, I don’t think it would be “Ocarina of Time” anymore.

But hey, I wouldn’t mind to be wrong. Either of these outcomes would be great, I love OoT.

I don't really get the point of a reimagining for series where most games are a reshuffling of many familiar elements anyway. Even if you want it to specifically be similar to one entry, there's precedent of Link to the Past getting a direct followup 20+ years later.

If they were gonna do a 1:1 remake, I think I'd rather they just HD-ify the 3DS version and save themselves some dev time. Because tbh I don't see much need for 3 content-identical versions of Ocarina to exist. Really they could boost OoT 3D's resolution, add dual-analog controls, and just about call it a day because that version's graphics/controls mostly hold up to modern standards imo. And honestly, I think that's the outcome I'd most want to see happen

However, in a world where Nintendo decides they are in-fact going to do a ground-up full-blown Ocarina remake, at this point I'd really hope for it to be more of a reimagining that preserves the spirit and vibe of the original while still offering a fresh experience beyond "that N64/3DS game but now it looks like one of those 'this will be graphics in 2013' unreal engine demos"

It wouldn't need to be a FF7R level project where they split up the child and adult sections across multiple games and actually it's somehow a stealth sequel, but it'd be disappointing if they devoted serious resources towards remaking OoT just to end up with "yep, you're doing all the same exact puzzles and sidequests, but now in HD/4K", y'know?

Having finished it for the first time somewhat recently, I disagree that OoT "hasn't aged well" or needs a remake. That being said, If we are to have a remake I would much rather a reimagining than a mere visual overhaul. At least then we'd get a new game out of it.

A direct 1:1 modern remake may lead to some level of ludo narrative dissonance due to how small and empty the world is by 3D Zelda standards. However I think a reimagining would alienate people and also runs the risk of Nintendo trying to "BOTW-ify" or ruin it.

I think ideally I'd want it to be a reimagining but from the lens of it still being classic 3D Zelda, and still being OOT just more modern with new lore and story elements added in. Maybe a Rito wind dungeon or a full Ice dungeon, or some Zonai shenanigans here and there. Likewise definitely adding Hylia and Fi into the world to make it more coherent.

Reimagining imo - its one of the few games that can support such a big endeavour (both in terms of fanbase/audience and in terms of having a strong enough foundation to work from) and i think would be worth while, especially as they explore the open air format with BOTW/TOTK to see how they can push the wide linear GoW/Souls-esque kinda genre through the Zelda lens, maybe get them to see the value in story and progression as well to be further incorporated in to the next open air Zelda. At the point youre making a big remake of it for console in 2025+ you are going to have to change the controls/gameplay to some extent anyway to make it a modern title, let the original exist and make a modern interpretation of it for a new generation that is as grand and epic as the original felt. 1-1 would not work imo.

First off, cool thread idea!

Personally, I'd go with a reimagining with the caveat that it isn't an open air Zelda game a la Breath of the Wild. There's a lot that has aged well about Ocarina of Time - its dungeon design and its music are still top notch - but some things, like the camera and the combat, make it show its age. I don't want them to go Final Fantasy 7 Remake with it, but something to the level of Resident Evil 2 Remake would be sick.

If we got Ocarina of Time 3D with an even nicer coat of paint, it'd still be Ocarina of Time, warts and all. If they're going to give it yet another update, just go all out and reimagine it. I think it'd scratch a nice itch too for people who aren't a fan of Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom. They could go and flesh out the towns in the game, update the combat, among some other things.

This the perfect example of something that I think would work excellently for a reimagining without sacrificing too much of what makes Ocarina the special game it is. Having places like Hyrule Marketplace, Kakariko Village, and Lon Lon Ranch be fleshed out more by being expanded on in size, more NPCs, new shops and such and more side quests to do. Maybe Hyrule Field and the surrounding areas could be bigger, but not so big as to become an open world game.

I think they could also add in a lot of the stuff that was cut from the original game and finally work it in somehow. Like each of the Sage Medallions granting Link special powers and of course being able to find and obtain the Triforce. Someone mentioned voice acting too which would also be a good addition!

So there’s definitely a lot of things they add and change to reimagine the game and still have it preserve its Ocarina identity.

A remimagining isn’t necessary when most sequels borrow heavily from each other. Just make a new game at that point. There’s a risk of making it not Ocarina of Time anymore.

A 1:1 remake would also be kind of pointless, in my humble opinion. I have multiple versions and ports of this game. I don’t need one that’s merely nicer looking. A lot of stuff can be kept like the art design, world layout, story etc. However, there are a lot of quality of life improvements, some tweaks here and there, and expanding what’s already there (e.g. collecting the actual Triforce) to improve the game.

The combat is the weakest part of the game so start there. A single persistent world with no loading would be coolio (not sure I’m explaining this well). Add some stuff to Hyrule Field beyond Poes, Peahats, and some holes. Maybe put this scene in the actual game:

IMG-1561.jpg

Sheik teaches Link some songs then fucks off to do who knows what.

Link: Hyaa het ahh hyahh [translation: Please help me with Ganondorf’s minions. There are so many of them.]

Sheik: See ya! [flash bang]

Re-imagining for sure but only if it keeps the full spirit and concepts of the original game. Like I don't want a BOTW version of Ocarina of Time. The re-imagined version still has to feel like it's Ocarina of Time but better much in the way that FF7 Remake still feels like the original game but re-imagined beyond just improved visuals.

Reimagining, because we had 1 to 1 already and doing it again with shinier graphics is boring.

Mind you, reimagining doesn’t mean making it Open Air or whatever.

Talking RE2-4 type remake here.

Nintendo is Nintendo, and if they were going to make a substantially different game I have no doubt it would jsut be a new game rather than a remake

I'd take that "Original Game But Fancier" game, without shame

Similar to my reaction to RE4, my thought on Ocarina of Time would be "Shouldn't this be a new game? This seems out of step with Nintendo's entire design ethos"
Eh, there were the Metroid remakes. I think I'd like something similar to Zero Mission, which uses the original game as a recognizable base but just adds a lot of new detail on top of it. So it's more or less the same Hyrule Field, but there's actually some stuff in it now besides a few holes. Something like A Link Between Worlds would also be fine (and functionally near-identical), but what I really want is a classic 3D Zelda that uses the lessons learned from going back over the series, and I feel like having it be directly connected to Ocarina of Time in some way is the only way this would have a chance of happening nowadays.

The main reason I'm sad those went away to begin with is because I felt we never got one that actually reached its full potential. The sequels developed things a lot from the baseline of Ocarina, but that included expanding upon all the junk aspects of it like long unskippable cutscenes, mandatory stealth sections, and elaborate nonsense diversions to open the next dungeon. And the sequels were all heavily compromised in at least one key area, whether it was the overworld or the dungeons or the towns. Breath of the Wild was refreshing because it threw out most of what had weighed the series down for ages, but it also threw out just about everything 3D Zelda had been good at too, and the open air games are already developing their own set of persistent issues, so swings and roundabouts.

Eh, there were the Metroid remakes. I think I'd like something similar to Zero Mission, which uses the original game as a recognizable base but just adds a lot of new detail on top of it.
Yeah, but those were headed by a particular lead in Nintendo (Sakamoto) and, importantly, are both very rare and generally very old. Zero Mission was twenty years ago. Samus Returns was much more recent, granted, but it's not a thing that gets done very often in a vacuum, and I don't think we can remove the Metroid remakes from the context of who would be pushing for them and why (it involves somewhat less of a design problem than making a new game, and in the case of Samus Returns acted as proof of people's continued interest in Metroid)

Just make it 1:1 and add camera control with the right stick and gyro from OoT 3D. Majora's Mask 3D literally proved that solves everything almost 9 years ago.

And skippable cutscenes/text as well. Needs to be a staple going forward for faster replays.

Thanks to the game being about time travel (and retroactively responsible for all the timeline shtick), the notion of timey-wimey timeloop bullshit being at the center of a "remake" that changes things in a drastic way would make sense.

make the game 1:1 but also go on the wayback machine and pull out the stupidest and most ridiculous rumors from the late 90's and make them real, don't advertise the new content at all

totk already made a pyramid in the desert you access via lightning stuff canon now, just go for it

I wouldn't bother playing it if it were just a straight remake. I don't see the point of those for anyone who's played the original

Quoted by: Ab
Fully made from the Ground up of course, and mostly keep scenarios and general Dungeon and bosses and etc 'same but updated'.

I want a gorgeous upgrade on the existing artstyle (so, not making it BOTW in style)
Make Hyrule Field a bit bigger and have it as a 'small open world'. Basically a small chunk of Breath of the Wild, with stuff to do, in the middle. As long as it doesn't get too big.
Update the combat to be more interesting. I imagine something like Bloodborne or Elden Ring. Not in difficulty, but just in how the general combat works. I think would fit well.
Voiced Cutscenes
Etc etc.

I expect it to be something similar to what they did on 3DS. Make it prettier to a degree, some polish in certain areas, & maybe some extras. I don’t see them sinking that many resources into this game. Certainly not for a reimaging which may as well just be a new at that point.

Remake, for the simple reason that there's no point in re-imaging the game.

Think about it: In a sense, the game has already been re-imagined by the collective efforts of every 3D Zelda that has come out since. Just about everything you could reasonably expect Nintendo to do in a re-imagining has already been done somewhere. From OoT: Master Quest to Skyward Sword. What is it that you'd want from a re-imagining that couldn't be easily done in a new game?

Besides, OoT is a perfect game in the truest sense of the word perfect. It is a game where just about everything that needs to be there, is, and there are no substantial changes that can be made without radically altering what the game is itself. Are there minor changes? Sure -- the water temple proves that -- but there are no major overall changes that can reasonably be made to that game without just transforming it into something that's simply different, as opposed to being better. Re-imaging OoT would be a creatively bankrupt way of just simply making a different game that would have to compare to the original OoT, for no obvious reason other than familiarity.

Whatever route doesn't get in the way of a new Zelda game.
A reimagining kinda would be a new Zelda game by the standards of the series (ie. LttP -> Ocarina). But I guess maybe I don't know exactly what people mean when they talk about reimagining. Do people just mean a new game with the same basic structure and familiar story/side characters? Because I think that's what they mean.

Reimagining please, as the original is on NSO anyway. Is the Master Quest on NSO? I haven't checked. It'd be nice of em to release that too if it's not already on there.

But ultimately I'd prefer a new original 2D Zelda over a remake or re-release.

More likely to see re-releases of previously remade games this year, however.

Almost every Zelda that followed OoT was a different reimagining of it to some degree. Feels redundant to go about it either way.

But if they have to go back to the well because a certain wide section of an aging generation just cannot let it go and would come out of the woodwork to buy it up in droves, here's what I think would be best:
  • No change to the overall format and structure, don't increase the size of Hyrule Field or remove loading zones between areas, don't add new mechanics that allow one to bypass thr established progression.
  • A graphical approach somewhat like the first Hyrule Warriors, but of course not so shiny and flashy, stylized to match the original OoT concept art as much as possible, invoke that 90s comic harsh black shadow shading and muscle tone.
  • Enhanced combat, bring in mechanics from WW and TP but reinterpreted in an emotive animation style that specifically suits OoT Link.
  • Everything voice acted, every cutscene and NPC line.
  • More dramatic redone cutscenes to suit the voice acting naturally, and maybe extra scenes to further flesh out the story and characterization
  • New content that doesn't feel too out of place, like side quests that expand upon characters who didn't get much screen time and things that beg to be added with the gift of hindsight, such as an extended Happy Mask Salesman quest, more appearances of Impa, Sheik, and Rauru, and maybe something addressing the Kokiri

If they remake OOT, it’s gonna be a project with a big scope. I imagine there’ll be voice acting and everything, and the three main areas to get massively expanded will be Hyrule Field, Hyrule Castle Town and maybe Lake Hylia. The other ones can stay as is in size.

I'd say reimagining, keep the general pacing and story beats but develop some setpieces and characters a bit more. Change up the design of Hyrule's overworld since it's simple as hell in OoT and add stuff there. Still, one of the main strengths of OoT IMO is the pacing so any reimagining would need to be careful to not add too much fluff and ruin the game.

A reimagining kinda would be a new Zelda game by the standards of the series (ie. LttP -> Ocarina). But I guess maybe I don't know exactly what people mean when they talk about reimagining. Do people just mean a new game with the same basic structure and familiar story/side characters? Because I think that's what they mean.
They mean OoT with a remixed world, not a new Zelda game in the style of OoT.

All the previous ports of past Zelda games have been outsourced so have had no impact on the development of a new Zelda game, but those were 1:1 ports/remakes/remasters whatever term you like to use. Would they allow a third party to handle a complete reimagining of OoT? I doubt it. And how much would be rearranged - because if we're saying the dungeons stay the same then I definitely would prefer a new game over a revist to OoT.

Unless they’ve been secretly working on OOT remake, I don’t think it’s happening. I feel like the Zelda team is focused on making the next open-air Zelda, but it is revealing that Aonuma said that he has no comment concerning an Ocarina remske

I started playing the game on NSO last week and I didn't really enjoy myself. I dislike the controls and it feels very simplistic compared to the modern games.

Reimagining for sure. Otherwise I could just play my copy of OoT 3D or even get around to playing the og. Don't care too much for graphical updates.

Tbh I don’t see Nintendo doing “reimaginings” of their older games. They seem to much prefer graphical overhauls of the same base game, like Link’s Awakening. Unless I’m forgetting something, the only “reimagining” type thing they’ve done is Super Mario 64 DS, which had mixed results.

They might add some new content here and there, but I think the core game would remain the same. More Demon’s Souls, less FF7 remake.

Tbh I don’t see Nintendo doing “reimaginings” of their older games. They seem to much prefer graphical overhauls of the same base game, like Link’s Awakening. Unless I’m forgetting something, the only “reimagining” type thing they’ve done is Super Mario 64 DS, which had mixed results.

They might add some new content here and there, but I think the core game would remain the same. More Demon’s Souls, less FF7 remake.
I'd argue Link Between Worlds could kinda fit the bill. It's billed as a sequel to Link to the Past but it might as well be equal parts sequel to and reimagining of it.

I guess a lot of people want to memory hole it, but there's also Star Fox Zero, which Nintendo literally described as a "re-imagining" of Star Fox 64, and tbh it does fit the bill of what some people want here in OOT's case: an entirely new game under the hood with new levels and mechanics that just reuses most of the same plot beats and characters from the original. TBH this also applies to SF64 itself, which remakes the plot of the SNES game but also features entirely new game design from it.

I guess a lot of people want to memory hole it, but there's also Star Fox Zero, which Nintendo literally described as a "re-imagining" of Star Fox 64, and tbh it does fit the bill of what some people want here in OOT's case: an entirely new game under the hood with new levels and mechanics that just reuses most of the same plot beats and characters from the original. TBH this also applies to SF64 itself, which remakes the plot of the SNES game but also features entirely new game design from it.
Star Fox doesn't count, there's more games in that franchise that just reimagine the original game than actual new ones :LOL:

A reimagining without changing the best parts, so here's how they can approach this:

- Old man quest -

An accidental timerift glitch post-game makes Link travel 70 years into the future instead of 7.

This is fun because we're all old as hell now. So we can place ourselves into the character.

Oh and the temple of light is fixed.

In my opinion make Hyrule field a bit bigger and add more towns or just add more points of interest.

I don't think I really want a reimagining, but I don't know there's really much call for another straight remake either. If they do anything, I'd just prefer QoL and graphics updates rather than any significant content changes.

Back
Top Bottom