• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO NSO Missions and Rewards

This is really awesome! I am constantly checking to see if there are new icons, and now we are being presented with a whole slew of new characters and ways to customize them all. And it looks like the turnover time for new additions is rather short too, judging by the expiration for the current crop in the SMO category. The snob in me really wishes this was present at launch and there were special “ambassador icons” for those that bought day one/early, lol. Although, that does bring to me question whether they’d ever make some icons unlockable only for those with save data of that particular game, like a pre-order bonus.

As for this being a replacement for achievements/trophies, it’s clearly not. This is just a way to give platinum tokens more value, and bring the missions onto the Switch. Still a nice way to collect some tokens if you’re running low!

Wow, I haven't checked the Internet until now. This is basically achievements, but at least it isn't annoying game related stuff and showing off to others.

Finally I can have my Xenoblade and Fire Emblem icons. Now add themes, folders and badges.

Nope. Also not working over here.
I don’t know how long you need to play it, but it unlocked for me. I went ahead and ran through the entire game just to be sure.
zpooFmv_d.webp

Bummer that these icons + backgrounds can't be combined with the existing ones. It also seems you have to stay "in universe" and can't cross backgrounds and icons. You can't even buy a background without having a character from that universe first haha.

And no, this is not achievements or even close to it in its current state haha

Considering this NSO App is also a webview like the eshop (I believe?) there are a lot of nice UI/UX touches and animation flourishes at play here! It has a tiny bit of lag compared to the direct UI of course but I guess this is their compromise to have it update easily without software updates and hopefully carry it forward to future Switches with ease.

This has maybe some potential but it's not exactly engaging, is it? Use save data cloud!? Play an online game!? These are not "missions".

Echo the sentiments above that game-specific challenges would be far more fun and could provide an interesting spin on older titles.

Still, I won't pass up an opportunity to earn some easy platinum points as I do redeem for physical rewards on My Nintendo.

Only one of the missions has actually completed for me and that's simply using the NSO app. I speed-ran through SMB but it hasn't triggered the mission completion.

This has maybe some potential but it's not exactly engaging, is it? Use save data cloud!? Play an online game!? These are not "missions".

Echo the sentiments above that game-specific challenges would be far more fun and could provide an interesting spin on older titles.

Still, I won't pass up an opportunity to earn some easy platinum points as I do redeem for physical rewards on My Nintendo.

Only one of the missions has actually completed for me and that's simply using the NSO app. I speed-ran through SMB but it hasn't triggered the mission completion.
Unfortunately those would likely require patches to their respective games and wouldn't really solve the goal of these being NSO exclusive. These missions are just thinly-veiled engagement trackers for the service. I wouldn't want to imagine the blowback if Nintendo made their first swing at proper achievements exclusive to a subscription.

Wait a sec...

@meatbag this is getting too real lol

The monkey’s paw curls

Folders are now available as part of the NSO expansion pack

EDIT: lol can't quote a locked thread hence jank

Last edited:
This is great, would be even more fun if they went with full blown achievements and avatar items and themes as rewards.

So themes must be coming at this point, right? They mention more rewards to follow, and I dunno, icons feel underwhelming in the long-term and are so low cost

They should make different variants of them. If one is “Play NES Super Mario Bros.” and you get a specific Avatar for doing so, then they should have another for “Beat NES Super Mario Bros.” that also has its own very specific Avatar.

I go to sleep for four hours (newborn parents what up) and Nintendo does this? I’ll never sleep again!

These are neat but ever since Switch Sports was announced I've made a commitment to sticking with my Mii icon to keep the dream alive.
Yeah, I love the idea of this…but unfortunately I’ll probably never actually use it because I can’t not use my Mii! I always use my Mii when given the option, and unfortunately you can’t even mix and match the new backgrounds and frames with any of the older icons, including your Mii, so there’s not really any reason for me to use this new feature…

…Will that stop me from spending all my Platinum Points buying every single one of them each week? Probably not, lol. =P I just wish I had more incentive to actually use them… But hey, maybe we’ll finally get Xenoblade or Pokémon icons this way, at least.

Last edited:
Just bought a bunch, but still using my Mii lol

Give me frames and backgrounds for my Mii. Maybe some flair, like a hat, or a ball gag to go with my default laying sideways pose lol

Just bought a bunch, but still using my Mii lol

Give me frames and backgrounds for my Mii. Maybe some flair, like a hat, or a ball gag to go with my default laying sideways pose lol
The sad part is that you’ll get a… 🤢 Sportsmates set well before that ever happens lol

Not sure if I should spend the 540 Platinum Points to get all of this week’s icon elements just to have them all or not… I worry that I’m not going to be able to keep up with all the new icon elements each week and eventually run out of Platinum Points… It’s not really possible to get ~500 Platinum Points on a weekly basis once you’ve exhausted all the one-time missions, is it…?

Got all the Mario ones and all of the Animal Crossing ones I wanted, but let's be real, no one likes all the AC Villagers lol

But dang this was a pretty cool thing to wake up to.

Not sure if I should spend the 540 Platinum Points to get all of this week’s icon elements just to have them all or not… I worry that I’m not going to be able to keep up with all the new icon elements each week and eventually run out of Platinum Points… It’s not really possible to get ~500 Platinum Points on a weekly basis once you’ve exhausted all the one-time missions, is it…?
Hmm, it looks like I can come close to it with 120 weekly points from the Nintendo Switch Online app, plus the 30 from the 3DS / Wii U eShop, 120 from Super Mario Run, and 180 from Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp…but I’m not sure I’ll be able to force myself to do the Pocket Camp missions every week. ._. I dropped the game in the first place due to how incredibly slow and grindy it was, so 100 camper requests per week?! I can’t do that… I just played for a few minutes and only got a single camper request done, lol. The Toad Rally stuff for Super Mario Run is pretty easy and fun, though, so that’s definitely doable at least. Still worried that I’m just gonna run out of Platinum Points, though… Guess it depends on just how many icon elements they’re going to add, and how frequently old ones will be repeated…

This is a cool new little feature that they can easily expand upon. Would be cool to integrate it with the NSO phone app (as well as Putting News and the eshop in there) and they really need to make the NSO Switch app faster.

I think the Animal Crossing ones are monthly - least the villagers are. The Mario ones rotate out weekly though.

FYI for game triggered rewards, start up the game, leave it open go to the home menu then go to the NSO page and that should register it. Worked for me at least

I think the Animal Crossing ones are monthly - least the villagers are. The Mario ones rotate out weekly though.
Ah, you’re right, I didn’t catch that! Well that’s a bit of a relief, at least, lol. Should be able to keep up in that case!

I wonder how long it will be until the featured title is an N64 game and people will be angry at Nintendo for locking that mission behind the Expansion Pack, haha. Anyway, this is nothing earth shattering, but a cool little feature.

Also, friendly reminder that you can get 30 platinum points a week just for signing into the My Nintendo website. You also currently get 30 a week for going onto the eshop with your 3DS or Wii U. So if you've been using those eshops to shore up your 3DS/Wii U collections lately, you've probably got some additional platinum points waiting for you to collect.

I hope they can add profile features from some second-party franchises. I don't really play a lot of internal EPD stuff, so it'd be nice to have RPG elements in Switch avatar.

Quoted by: Tye
This is cute! I'll probably forget to look at it ever again but I'm very pleased with my lil Frog Mario avatar.

That's neat, took like 2 minutes to unlock everything.. so some stuff that would be actually rewarding to complete would be nice =)
But I have to say, nice that you get actual platinum points which can get you some nice physical stuff from.

Stuff unlocked directly for me.

I hope they can add profile features from some second-party franchises. I don't really play a lot of internal EPD stuff, so it'd be nice to have RPG elements in Switch avatar.
We already have built-in Kirby icons, so I’m surprised that they never added Xenoblade Chronicles, Fire Emblem, or even Pokémon icons after those. But yeah, maybe we’ll finally get some of those through this new Missions & Rewards feature.

I still can’t believe we got this paper craft giraffe thing before anything from a number of other notable Nintendo franchises…lol.
214px-YCW_Giraffe_Craft.png

I’m guessing we’re not going to get any more of the normal built-in icons added at this point, though…

I wonder how long it will be until the featured title is an N64 game and people will be angry at Nintendo for locking that mission behind the Expansion Pack, haha. Anyway, this is nothing earth shattering, but a cool little feature.

Also, friendly reminder that you can get 30 platinum points a week just for signing into the My Nintendo website. You also currently get 30 a week for going onto the eshop with your 3DS or Wii U. So if you've been using those eshops to shore up your 3DS/Wii U collections lately, you've probably got some additional platinum points waiting for you to collect.
They could also just make it so Expansion Pack users get 2 or more Quests a week.

Played around with this at lunch for a few minutes. It’s pretty neat and I feel like it’s finally a good use for Platinum Points which has been lacking since they phased out the 3DS/Wii U rewards. It’s also a nice lift from Steam’s points shop in a way.

That said, it does feel a little limited because it’s mostly scraping data coming out of the system that’s already accessible. I don’t see them being able to detect “you beat NSO game X” without significant changes to the NSO emulators.

But as an extension of the existing My Nintendo program this is cool and frankly a bit overdue.

Quoted by: MP!
neat
killed myself in mario and got 50 points

Played around with this at lunch for a few minutes. It’s pretty neat and I feel like it’s finally a good use for Platinum Points which has been lacking since they phased out the 3DS/Wii U rewards. It’s also a nice lift from Steam’s points shop in a way.

That said, it does feel a little limited because it’s mostly scraping data coming out of the system that’s already accessible. I don’t see them being able to detect “you beat NSO game X” without significant changes to the NSO emulators.

But as an extension of the existing My Nintendo program this is cool and frankly a bit overdue.

No but I could see something like "Play 10 multiplayer matches in Splatoon 3" kind of stuff emerging from this

Its a nifty way to get people to engage with the online features they're subscribed to
I do hope there's eventually more to it than Icons... something more exciting like themes would actually get me to interact more often

Last edited:
excuse me that giraffe is an icon
Yes, quite literally in this case, lol, but why?? =p

Also, I wonder how long we’ll have to wait before the Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild icon elements are made available. If we’re really only getting icon elements for two games at a time per month, with Animal Crossing: New Horizons always being one of them with the birthday residents of the month, then it’ll probably be at least four months before we see anything totally new…

Back
Top Bottom