• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO NSO Missions and Rewards

I guess the Sportsmates are gonna be gunning after Miis even in the profile icon game lol

If there are Sportsmates icon elements, they’re just gonna be the default renders and not customizable in any way like Miis are for your user icon. In that sense there’s really not much difference from them versus, say, Inkling icon elements. =P

No but I could see something like "Play 10 multiplayer matches in Splatoon 3" kind of stuff emerging from this
I think that will likely happen, but it's only going to be for select games that are able to expose data like that back to the My Nintendo rewards system.

At least two of the missions are reminiscent of the existing "Log into My Nintendo each week for 10 points" mission in My Nintendo. So it remains to be seen how intricate Nintendo wants to get with this.

A global achievement system this isn't.

Yes, quite literally in this case, lol, but why?? =p

Also, I wonder how long we’ll have to wait before the Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild icon elements are made available. If we’re really only getting icon elements for two games at a time per month, with Animal Crossing: New Horizons always being one of them with the birthday residents of the month, then it’ll probably be at least four months before we see anything totally new…
Hopefully nothing stops them from putting out additional sets alongside the "Monthly Spotlight" and AC birthdays; maybe only for a week.

I just need Kirby anniversary icons next month, please.

Hopefully nothing stops them from putting out additional sets alongside the "Monthly Spotlight" and AC birthdays; maybe only for a week.

Ah, yeah, I could see that happening!

…But if that’s the case, will I be able to earn enough Platinum Points to get them all?! That’s the question… (And I’m afraid the answer might be “no.” ._. lol)

Cute but oddly limited. I didn’t expect they were making the icons game specific. So there’s no mixing and matching a Mario character with an Animal Crossing background. I wouldn’t be surprised to see some third party game icons based on that limitation.

I kind of really like the idea of “play this random game” challenges. Haven’t played Super Mario Bros. in a long time and it was nice to check in on it again.

This is so needlessly limited. I can't purchase any background without first getting a character. I don't want that, none of the current ones interest me. I want to save the backgrounds I like for later.

I think that will likely happen, but it's only going to be for select games that are able to expose data like that back to the My Nintendo rewards system.

At least two of the missions are reminiscent of the existing "Log into My Nintendo each week for 10 points" mission in My Nintendo. So it remains to be seen how intricate Nintendo wants to get with this.

A global achievement system this isn't.
Yeah, every mission is going to be linked to some metric the team is tracking that they want to push. So, exactly as you said, these will be weekly challenges rather than one-off achievements. These are tied to NSO for a reason, everything NSO points back to "how do we keep users subscribed", which in this case points to the sub question "how do we keep users informed about and engaged with the benefits of their subscription"

oh fuck we are gonna get icons for every powerup / mouthful aren't we

I will need nothing further

Yeah, every mission is going to be linked to some metric the team is tracking that they want to push. So, exactly as you said, these will be weekly challenges rather than one-off achievements. These are tied to NSO for a reason, everything NSO points back to "how do we keep users subscribed", which in this case points to the sub question "how do we keep users informed about and engaged with the benefits of their subscription"
I think they’re moving into a “expanding / retaining subscriber numbers” phase this year between adding small perks like this and continuing to sweeten the “expansion pack” upsell.

I think they’re moving into a “expanding / retaining subscriber numbers” phase this year between adding small perks like this and continuing to sweeten the “expansion pack” upsell.
Totally, it'll be real interesting to see how that impacts the support we get for games. For example, AC is a one-off DLC so it's kind of an odd add to the pack, but was probably grandfathered in from existing dev plans and is a no-brainer with its popularity. Mario Kart on the other hand screams "made with NSO in mind" with the 2-year roll-out plan.

It's not much but I'm still stupidly happy about my Lolly icon lol, sometimes it's the little things. I'm gonna miss my Mii but the draw of potential access to all Animal Crossing villagers is just too great. Punchy next month!

Assuming Xenoblade icons will come out sooner or later, I have plans to grab a couple when they do.

There was a point, in WiiU and 3DS life, that miiverse stickers were something similar to an achievement.
They could recycle the idea tying them to system icons (Mario 3D World already have that, they needs only to export the jpgs)

This is so needlessly limited. I can't purchase any background without first getting a character. I don't want that, none of the current ones interest me. I want to save the backgrounds I like for later.
I made the mistake of purchasing an AC villager in order to buy an AC frame, only to find out you can’t mix & match characters and frames/backgrounds. You can only use the frames with characters under the same category they were purchased from. Which sucks because I’ll never actually use an AC character, so those frames will collect dust now lol.

Oh well, it’ll only take a couple minutes to earn those coins back.

Feels rather useless. Just something to get you to log into the NSO app.

Does everyone else just have four missions? The images in the OP have five. I don't have the 'use this application' mission on the list at all.

Quoted by: Tye
Does everyone else just have four missions? The images in the OP have five. I don't have the 'use this application' mission on the list at all.
Do you mean you don’t have the “Play Game Trials Software” mission? ‘Cause that’s the fifth one that isn’t available yet since there’s not an active NSO Game Trial going on right now. The other four missions should be available to everyone right now, though.

I made a silly frog icon, it's fun.

I hope we get a lot of variety for icons in the future.

Since this is essentially a successor to the Nintendo Badge Arcade, more or less, I wonder if they will start to ramp up the amount of available icon elements in time… Since it’s obvious that they’re going to be releasing all of the residents from Animal Crossing: New Horizons, it wouldn’t surprise me if we eventually got, say, icon elements for a lot of Pokémon (I’d say all Pokémon, but…that might be a bit too much, lol), or maybe even Super Smash Bros. Ultimate fighters! That’s assuming they ever open it up to more franchises beyond just those that are fully owned by Nintendo (plus Kirby, lol), that is.

I just wish there were more ways to earn Platinum Points, though, ‘cause I’m worried that once my reserve dries out that it’s going to become very difficult or even impossible to continue collecting all of these icon elements as they release, and I’m also pretty much sacrificing any potential physical My Nintendo rewards that I may want as well, because there’s no way I could afford those on top of all the icon elements now…

It also kind of sucks that there are just less ways to earn Platinum Points now than there used to be, since Miitomo, Pokémon Rumble Rush, and Dr. Mario World (EDIT: I guess Dr. Mario World never had My Nintendo missions, so never mind about that last one!) have been shut down… I’m really surprised that Mario Kart Tour doesn’t have any My Nintendo Missions to at least partially make up for the other games with My Nintendo Missions being gone. All the other Nintendo-published mobile games have them (except Dragalia Lost, maybe because it’s co-owned by Cygames? EDIT: And Dr. Mario World, oops.), so it’s really weird that Mario Kart Tour doesn’t as well… I’d actually start playing it daily or weekly for the Platinum Points if it did—especially now that they’re adding Miis!

Last edited:
Week 2 Odyssey icons are up; Cascade now! Guess they'll be doing one kingdom at a time (which means they'll rotate back to Odyssey a few times to cover them all); they've shown Sand, Wooded and Lake icons in promo material too, which covers the rest of the month. Shame; I want my precious Pokio asap.

I wonder if they might let us use Miis with frames/backgrounds from games that feature Miis, like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe… They are offering some icon elements that are the same art as some of the older built-in icons (albeit cropped differently), after all, and the built-in background colors can also be used, so I could see them including the option to use Miis as icon elements for games that feature them, since they don’t want to allow characters/frames/backgrounds from different games to be intermixed.

Little old man rant:
grumpy-old-man-19577484.jpg

AND YET!
Of course they will limit themself to early game icons, for spoiler reasons. So, why don't they made more achievement with late game characters tied to game progression? For now, this is only a Nintendo bait to made people logging into Online App.

So monster hunter rise is getting a game trial and a nap mission is coming with it, so that’s cool although sort of weird if you already have the game

Which of the 3 mobile games is the easiest and fastest to farm for Platinum points?

Quoted by: Tye
Yo, I'm trying to save up for the Tom Nook and LEGO Mario keychains on top of all these AC and SMO icons, shit. I need to get more of these Platinum coins.

We need a "Find the Waddle Dee" game on the Kirby and the Forgotten Land website to get some quick coins or something. Help me out, Nintendo!

Which of the 3 mobile games is the easiest and fastest to farm for Platinum points?
Super Mario Run is probably the easiest; all you have to do is play Toad Rally once per day, and make sure you win at least three times per week. Fire Emblem Heroes can net you a larger quantity of Platinum Points at once, since you get 100 per chapter cleared, but they’ll eventually run out once you’ve beaten every chapter, while Super Mario Run can get you 120 points every week indefinitely—until the game is inevitably shut down, at least… Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp, as far as I remember, is an absolutely awful grind and I would not recommend even bothering unless you’re heavily invested in the game (unless there’s an easier and faster way to complete camper requests that I’m not aware of).

I really wish Mario Kart Tour had My Nintendo Missions, because I’d actually play the game regularly if it did, and we could all use another source of Platinum Points now that these weekly icon elements are a thing…

Last edited:
It’s that time of week again—time for me to eagerly anticipate the new Nintendo Switch Online icon element rewards that’ll be swapping in at 6:00 p.m. PDT so I can spend all my Platinum Points on them despite the fact that I’ll never actually use any of them! lol

This week’s Super Mario Odyssey icon elements should be Sand Kingdom ones, assuming they’re continuing in order.

Can you still get the reward if you play Rise?
Not sure what the person you quoted meant, but yes, the reward is available.

It’s that time of week again—time for me to eagerly anticipate the new Nintendo Switch Online icon element rewards that’ll be swapping in at 6:00 p.m. PDT so I can spend all my Platinum Points on them despite the fact that I’ll never actually use any of them! lol

This week’s Super Mario Odyssey icon elements should be Sand Kingdom ones, assuming they’re continuing in order.

Not sure what the person you quoted meant, but yes, the reward is available.
Thanks for the reminder! I hopped on and grabbed this weeks icons. Just in time!

Sand Kingdom icons are up! Some good ones this time.
What a great game to kick off with. A fun way to look back at the Switch launch year and appreciate how much visual variety that game had in a series usually lacking in it!

100 points for booting up Monhun? Nice.

Anyways, got all the new Odyssey ones! Yes even the Broodal lol

I booted up the demo and even went through a hunt but it still hasn’t registered a day later.
Unlike the trial version, the demo is not the full game, but an entirely different build. It will not register.

At first I thought we were gonna get different game icons so far only Mario Odyssey kinda has me disappointed in this

At first I thought we were gonna get different game icons so far only Mario Odyssey kinda has me disappointed in this
It seems all of March will be Mario Odyssey, I imagine some other game will take over in April. Maybe Kirby?

It seems all of March will be Mario Odyssey, I imagine some other game will take over in April. Maybe Kirby?
We’ll likely get The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Splatoon 2 before any other games, since icon elements from those games have already been shown in the promotional material. I’m guessing Mario Kart for next month, or maybe Zelda if they don’t want to do two Mario games back to back.

Back
Top Bottom