• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour NSO GB/C and GBA emulators allegedly leaked

Really curious to see what the launch lineup would be for GBA. I imagine it would be bigger than N64…maybe not what the NES dropped at launch though. I’m liking how they’re at least releasing those games monthly though.
If they launched the apps at the same time I could see them going with 20 to 25 for GB/GBC and 10 to 15 for GBA.

Honestly, if I were Nintendo I would launch each system with just 5-10 games and roll them out over time. People don't like waiting but they also don't like not getting a good game every month. I've seen one too many threads where people were livid and had total meltdowns because the random third-party SNES release that month was "fucking garbage" or whatever and it's like, I guess that's what they get for launching with most of their good stuff on day one. I don't want them to do this but I think it makes sense for them to hold things back as much as possible and drip feed their good games, since gamers can be such babies about it.

Honestly, if I were Nintendo I would launch each system with just 5-10 games and roll them out over time. People don't like waiting but they also don't like not getting a good game every month. I've seen one too many threads where people were livid and had total meltdowns because the random third-party SNES release that month was "fucking garbage" or whatever and it's like, I guess that's what they get for launching with most of their good stuff on day one. I don't want them to do this but I think it makes sense for them to hold things back as much as possible and drip feed their good games, since gamers can be such babies about it.
I feel like you're misunderstanding where the disatisfaction with NSO's classic game offerings comes from. The launch lineups were never in question until N64 (9 games really isn't a ton); generally people were content with the 20 NES and especially the 20 SNES games that were on the service day one. If you took most of those games out of the launch lineup and dropped them later just to have a slightly more consistant dripfeed, that wouldn't appease anyone, and for good reason: the dripfeed is the problem.

The only people the current dripfeed benefits are Nintendo themselves, because it gives them a new announcement to drop every once in awhile; a new reason to update, open and engage with those apps; they want user engagement. For them it is beneficial to spread things out as much as possible even if fans complain about it, because when they DO add the game people were waiting for (say, Earthbound back in February) a good amount of those people will come back. Absolutely no one would complain if they did more frequent updates and ran out of games quicker, as long as all the games they want are playable on the service; especially if they could actually play them now, not in 2026 or whenever Nintendo plans to dump them.

I do agree that in most cases the hate for the more obscure titles being added to the service was uncalled for; they aren't the problem, the problem is that the updates aren't more frequent. If every month was like March this year (2 NES games + 2 SNES games + 3 MD games + 1 N64 game), at least for awhile, that'd be fine! It isn't like that though; this month was just the MD and N64 part. Before the Mother games in February there hadn't been a NES or SNES update since July 2021, and they came back with just 6 total game additions across February and March. Perfectly fine for people to not be content with that.

Last edited:
The only people the current dripfeed benefits are Nintendo themselves
I mean, that's sort of my point. I'm not saying that I want them to dripfeed games.

I do agree that a consistent release schedule is probably the best way for them to avoid gamer hate, though. Part of the reason there was so much vitriol when they'd drop an obscure third party SNES game is because people didn't know when the next game was coming. If there was a more consistent pattern of one game every month, as they're doing with the N64 games now, I think people might not treat a lackluster month like it's the end of the world. And it's easier to do that, for longer, if you don't frontload the app with twenty games per system at launch.

I might subscribe again after this. I let my nintendo online expire completely because it wasnt doing much for me

A GBA app definitely has the most potential for.. Not giving us hundreds of the games people would love to play, the system has a plethora of great games that are largely not made by Nintendo themselves for once, so unless they figure out a pretty agreeable revenue share I just don't see it meeting near the potential, not that most of these apps have :/

Nintendo seems to have struck a pretty favorable deal with Sega. Hopefully they can extend that to Capcom, Konami, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, etc. for more in demand stuff with the Expansion Pack revenue coming in.

A GBA app definitely has the most potential for.. Not giving us hundreds of the games people would love to play, the system has a plethora of great games that are largely not made by Nintendo themselves for once, so unless they figure out a pretty agreeable revenue share I just don't see it meeting near the potential, not that most of these apps have :/
Nintendo 1st/2nd party stuff in GBA is already elite tier even if there are a ton of great games by 3rd parties which we would still miss , it would still be the best console (by far imo) in NSO, only one that could come close is SNES with third parties but that aint happening.

Nintendo 1st/2nd party stuff in GBA is already elite tier even if there are a ton of great games by 3rd parties which we would still miss , it would still be the best console (by far imo) in NSO, only one that could come close is SNES with third parties but that aint happening.

They have great games on it, but it's likely their weakest major portable unless you consider the GBC on its own. Taste depending of course, but this was a generation where Mario got side lined of all things, and there was only one original Zelda game that isn't particularly highly regarded. We got some cool stuff like Advance Wars and the return of Metroid, as well as a solid run for Kirby, but if you put it all out on list form and compare sales/ratings, etc, it definitely was a bit of a different time. I mean Fire Emblem had more representation than other major series of all things.

Still, it's a great system that I own over 400 games for, I just don't suspect most of those will be applicable to an app, but I'd be curious.

They have great games on it, but it's likely their weakest major portable unless you consider the GBC on its own. Taste depending of course, but this was a generation where Mario got side lined of all things, and there was only one original Zelda game that isn't particularly highly regarded. We got some cool stuff like Advance Wars and the return of Metroid, as well as a solid run for Kirby, but if you put it all out on list form and compare sales/ratings, etc, it definitely was a bit of a different time. I mean Fire Emblem had more representation than other major series of all things.

Still, it's a great system that I own over 400 games for, I just don't suspect most of those will be applicable to an app, but I'd be curious.
It was a highly prolific era for a lot of Nintendo franchises outside of Mario/Zelda , if these two franchises are your favorite Nintendo ones I could see what you mean but for all the other franchises it was a really prolific era not only the ones you mentioned but you also have FE,Golden Sun, Pokemon ADV games+Mystery Dungeon,Mario&Luigi SS and other Mario spin-offs(Tennis being my favorite) and Mother 3. I haven't mentioned all new Nintendo titles, the GBA remasters of the NES/SNES games or 3rd party games that even if most will be missed we will still get some.

It was a highly prolific era for a lot of Nintendo franchises outside of Mario/Zelda , if these two franchises are your favorite Nintendo ones I could see what you mean but for all the other franchises it was a really prolific era not only the ones you mentioned but you also have FE,Golden Sun, Pokemon ADV games+Mystery Dungeon,Mario&Luigi SS and other Mario spin-offs(Tennis being my favorite) and Mother 3. I haven't mentioned all new Nintendo titles, the GBA remasters of the NES/SNES games or 3rd party games that even if most will be missed we will still get some.

I enjoyed a lot of those as well, but they are mostly small time in the broad scope of Nintendo IP, most people aren't huge Nintendo fans because of Fire Emblem and Golden Sun let's say, and one of those series basically died right there as well. Nintendo had a weak showing for their major core series and did pretty well on the rest, but the GBA is mostly known for the sheer volume of content it had in such a small span of time. On it you have Sonic, Crash, Spyro, Mega Man, Castlevania, and even Banjo making an appearance in a new game, but without one original Mario platformer. Obviously some of the greatest games of the system are still Nintendo based, but it isn't near the dominating ratio as you'd often see on their other platforms which presents a problem when trying to render them as a subscription service. They can definitely throw on Golden Sun and the Mario Sports titles, but I don't think that's a huge seller for the broad demographic you need to appeal to for these kinds of services.

Will Nintendo be able to get stuff like Battle Network or Sonic Advance brought to the app? That would be of more significance to many than something like Mario Tennis at this point, or so I feel anyways. Personally, I'm down for anything but the trickle even on the deluxe app is a bit grueling because Nintendo doesn't have a proper model to include profit sharing with third parties alongside the volume people want. These subs have always seemed kind of like half hearted measures because they don't really give us content options, which is a shame because the emulators and the online functions are awesome and make me want to play on them.

Last edited:
Nintendo seems to have struck a pretty favorable deal with Sega. Hopefully they can extend that to Capcom, Konami, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, etc. for more in demand stuff with the Expansion Pack revenue coming in.
I’m still hoping for Snowboard kids on n64 nso

I'd personally rank the likelihood of that at Konami > Bandai Namco > Capcom >>> Square Enix.

I think they've already got something cooking with Konami. Mega Drive launched with the Castlevania and Contra games for that system which were both already available on Switch via their series' respective legacy collections. Konami (mostly through titles they acquired from Hudson, mind you) contributed the most to Wii U VC of any third-party, with PC Engine being the only third-party platform available worldwide, and their MSX library also being available in Japan; both platforms were also on Wii VC beforehand so it seems simple enough to licence. I absolutely expect PC Engine on NSO eventually, and additional Konami titles for the Nintendo platforms in the future.

For the longest time Bandai Namco had just a single SNES game (Smash Tennis) on the service, but the latest NES update added two to that app (Dig Dug II and Mappy Land), and outside of the retro apps last year Pac-Man 99 was released as an NSO subscriber and console exclusive. I think they've worked something out over there too relatively recently; at the very least more Namco games for NES are on the way, i'd bet.

Capcom is difficult to read. They've made some light contributions to NSO already, but we're obviously talking about their heavy-hitters like Mega Man and Street Fighter (maybe RE2 for N64?). In that case I think things could go either way. At this point those legacy collections have been available for long enough that anyone who really wants those games has played them that way; might be easier to make a deal now than before. @Emily has talked about Wily Wars being planned for the Mega Drive library, and if that can happen on NSO without Capcom rereleasing it on their own I don't think the NES equivalents are that much more impossible to licence. Battle Network is in an interesting spot as they were available on Wii U, and they haven't gotten a seperate Legacy Collection yet; i'd give those a maybe. If anything they'd be a great showpiece for the online capabilities of the GBA app.

Square Enix has avoided NSO entirely thus far and I think things will mostly remain that way. I think the real kicker for me was the leaked build of the NES NSO app (also talked about in this thread prior). I've avoided factoring it into my prior reasoning, but I think it's relevant here. That build featured additional games from Konami, Capcom and Bandai Namco, including every game they had present on the NES/Famicom Mini system. The only games missing from that library are the three Square Enix titles (Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy III, Bubble Bobble); no sign of their presence, and I think it speaks volumes. I think they'll be figuring something out for Super Mario RPG in the near future; it's the last remaining international first-party title left for SNES that has been on Virtual Console before (plenty of Japan-only titles remaining, and some tied to accessories that weren't on VC; I think some of these will happen eventually too but you get my point). It also matters because they'll want to get Superstar Saga on the GBA app too, and that requires dealing with SE.

EGHeY0QXYAIl7Eb.jpg

As for anything wholly owned by SE? Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Mana, Chrono Trigger, any Taito games? I'll believe it when I see it, and I really don't think we'll see it.

Yeah, no way SE games get added to NSO IMO. They can still sell a lot of those games for real money, and they know that.

I wouldn’t be surprised if SMRPG makes it onto Switch in some weird way outside of the NSO library, like as a separate purchasable game. I have a feeling Pokémon games might end up being released in a similar manner.

The only Square Enix game I could ever see make the service is Chain of Memories GBA. But that’s like a 1% chance compared to everything else being zero. (And no, has nothing to do with the leak, I predicted this a while back as well)

That’s a game lost in time. Strange little title that SE has abandoned in favor of its 3D title.

Or probably just foolish hope

Yeah, no way SE games get added to NSO IMO. They can still sell a lot of those games for real money, and they know that.

I wouldn’t be surprised if SMRPG makes it onto Switch in some weird way outside of the NSO library, like as a separate purchasable game. I have a feeling Pokémon games might end up being released in a similar manner.
I'd not bank on that really, SMRPG did make it to the SNES mini if I recall so it likely would just take a bit of grease, as I don't think Square can publish it on their own either, it's likely a 'something or nothing' proposition in that instance for both parties.

I'd not bank on that really, SMRPG did make it to the SNES mini if I recall so it likely would just take a bit of grease, as I don't think Square can publish it on their own either, it's likely a 'something or nothing' proposition in that instance for both parties.
I think they may want to release a HD-2D remaster of smrpg, which would be amazing. It's the only reason I can think they have not launched the game on NSO. Otherwise I suppose Nintendo could just have paid money to square or something to be able to put the game on switch.

One way or another, I expect us to get Super Mario RPG in some form on the Switch at some point.

The rest of the Square library, forget about it lol

The SNES Mini also had Final Fantasy VI and Secret of Mana, so it's a totally different deal.

If Nintendo and Square Enix could figure something out for NSO, that'd be great; the SNES library will always feel incomplete without their titles. Will it happen though? I doubt it.

Supposedly we'll be getting the FF Pixel Remasters on Switch as well, so all the OG games on NES and SNES are probably not showing up on NSO either;

If Super Mario RPG ends being added on the SNES app, I could see being the sole exception.. (maybe Ogre Battle and Mischief Makers on N64, who knows...)

I mean, it'd be nice if SE at least allowed Taito to put their stuff on there. I can agree we won't be seeing mainline FF and DQ, but I think for stuff unlikely to get a remake or emu collection it'd be cool if SE licensed it for NSO (Ogre Battle, Ogre Battle 64, Mischief Makers, FFTA, FFMQ, Soulblazer trilogy, Robotrek, Sword of Mana, Brainlord, 7th Saga, Actraiser 2, DQM1-2, etc).

Quoted by: Leo
I mean, it'd be nice if SE at least allowed Taito to put their stuff on there. I can agree we won't be seeing mainline FF and DQ, but I think for stuff unlikely to get a remake or emu collection it'd be cool if SE licensed it for NSO (Ogre Battle, Ogre Battle 64, Mischief Makers, FFTA, FFMQ, Soulblazer trilogy, Robotrek, Sword of Mana, Brainlord, 7th Saga, Actraiser 2, DQM1-2, etc).
DQ Monsters would be a dream. These games are lost in a limbo, SE just refuses to rerelease them in the west.

DQ Monsters would be a dream. These games are lost in a limbo, SE just refuses to rerelease them in the west.
I have fond memories of playing Dragon Quest Monsters, or Dragon Warrior Monsters as it was known then, alongside my Grandpa and showing him all the monsters I tamed and bred. If Nintendo manages to release it on GB/GBC NSO I might cry a little.

I'm not sure if the constant updates to the NES/SNES apps that people claim to want are really economical. Nintendo has already added most of their own games and are just finding cheap games to toss on there now. why should nintendo throw a lot of money at konami and capcom to license better quality retro games, only to need to renegotiate the deals in a few years time, when anyone can just spend 10 dollars and buy those very same games outright during a sale on the eshop? What else could Nintendo do with that time and money? And should they put all those resources into adding more content to a service tier that already has over 100 games, and only costs twenty dollars a year? And are the people claiming to want these games really going to spend that much time playing them?

Improve the quality of online play
Get the conspicuously absent big-ticket first party games like Earthbound and Super Mario RPG
Continue to add new games to flesh out your newest focus areas (N64)

These are all high-impact and a good use of resources. I am not convinced spending millions on ensuring you get more NES and SNES games on a regular basis is sensible.

Did a quick dirty edit of this listing I made back in July of last year; Here's the noteworthy 1st Party NES and SNES games still missing from NSO
NSO-Missing-May22-Cyber-Wolf-JV.png

again, pointing out that I had to clean some of the licensed stuff out; and not everything here is feasible like Uniracers and Time Twister lol;

I'd say that The Mysterious Murasame Castle and StarTropics II are the two biggest omissions on NES so far, as well the missing black box games that have no excuse for not being there (Urban Champion, Mach Rider and Golf); .. would be fun to get Devil World internationally for once; Not sure if they'll go through the effort to make pointer controls for Light Gun games like they did on Wii U VC.

For SNES is pretty much only Super Mario RPG left, as far big demanded games goes; I could see Wrecking Crew '98 coming out worldwide with Foreman Spike being on Illumination's Mario movie, but otherwise that's it... If Mouse support becomes a thing officially then that opens to all the Super Scope games (consequentially, I suppose the Light Gun games on NES as well), Mario Paint and Mario & Wario (also, hopefully internationally this time);

the Japanese apps will most certainly still get the missing Fire Emblem, Shin Onigashima, Marvelous, Sutte Hakkun, Hajimari no Mori, Kirby's Super Star Stacker and maybe the Famicom Detective Club games (not sure if they'd do with the remakes on sale) and Metal Slader Glory

Cool list.

The Power Pad also had some games for NES like Stadium Events/World Class Track Meet, Super Team Games, Dance Aerobics, Short Order & Eggsplode.

There are also some additional unlocalized games like Famicom Wars, Famicom Golf: Japan Course, and Famicom Golf: U.S. Course.

Cool list.

The Power Pad also had some games for NES like Stadium Events/World Class Track Meet, Super Team Games, Dance Aerobics, Short Order & Eggsplode.

There are also some additional unlocalized games like Famicom Wars, Famicom Golf: Japan Course, and Famicom Golf: U.S. Course.
Thanks! 🐺 ✨

I believe Famicom Wars is already on NSO in the Famicom app! The others I kinda tried to trim down to some 'redundancies' I suppose.. but I could see the Famicom Golf: Japan Course being re-released over there;

I also quickly updated this N64 listing too; even if we go through all the Rare published games with Microsoft's help, I think they'll dry up really fast

NSON64-Missing-May22-Cyber-Wolf-JV.png

and again, I doubt everything here will be re-released anyway.. Animal Crossing 64 and the 64DD exclusives like Doshin the Giant seems unlikely

I just finished listening @NateDrake podcast on the GBA emulator leak, and I think it does makes sense Nintendo introduce the whole Game Boy family (classic, Color and Advance) to the basic plan so they can replace the NES and SNES offerings;

I'm not sure how 3rd Party support will be on those tho;

Last edited:
Thanks! 🐺 ✨

I believe Famicom Wars is already on NSO in the Famicom app! The others I kinda tried to trim down to some 'redundancies' I suppose.. but I could see the Famicom Golf: Japan Course being re-released over there;

I also quickly updated this N64 listing too; even if we go through all the Rare published games with Microsoft's help, I think they'll dry up really fast

and again, I doubt everything here will be re-released anyway.. Animal Crossing 64 and the 64DD exclusives like Doshin the Giant seems unlikely

I just finished listening @NateDrake podcast on the GBA emulator leak, and I think it does makes sense Nintendo introduce the whole Game Boy family (classic, Color and Advance) to the basic plan so they can replace the NES and SNES offerings;

I think this really shows how incredible Rare were on N64. Every single one of those games are at very worst, good. Their hit rate was ridiculous.

Vegas Stakes may not come out because of the new EU ratings regulations.

Kung Fu is a fun game but I think that may be stuck with a licensing issue?

And the light gun games only if they re work them for the joycon.

Urban Champion…. That game needs to be buried lol

I'm curious how they handle the designation of the GB line on NSO. I see benefits from GB/GBC on base and GBA on Expansion; but also recognize the benefits of having the entire GB line on base.

I'm curious how they handle the designation of the GB line on NSO. I see benefits from GB/GBC on base and GBA on Expansion; but also recognize the benefits of having the entire GB line on base.
I think GBA is guaranteed to be apart of the expansion. GBA is just the premium Gameboy experience in a sense. Also using the libraries most popular title, mainline pokemon games. Both Gen 1 and 2 have gotten a re-release before on 3DS. Gen 3 never got one, having Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald with online (or even just local) trading and battling through link cable emulation and then hopefully Pokemon Home integration would actually be a major selling point and I bet would convince a significant amount of people to shell out the extra money for the NSO expansion.

To me it makes sense as GB/GBC in one app on base and GBA on expansion. Gives both added value.

Kung Fu is a fun game but I think that may be stuck with a licensing issue?
I believe that’s an Irem game and so far I don’t think any of their games are on the service (including 10-yard fight).

To me it makes sense as GB/GBC in one app on base and GBA on expansion. Gives both added value.
If they do a single GB/GBC app I really hope there’s an option to run Grey/Black cartridges on either hardware

I’m predicting that GB and GBA is all expansion pack.

Base will remain just SNES and NES. I feel it’s gradually just becoming the “online” pass to Nintendo. 20 bucks just to play all your games online. Plus the more stuff gets added to expansion, the more one will feel the need to switch over.

I’m predicting that GB and GBA is all expansion pack.

Base will remain just SNES and NES. I feel it’s gradually just becoming the “online” pass to Nintendo. 20 bucks just to play all your games online. Plus the more stuff gets added to expansion, the more one will feel the need to switch over.
I don’t think you’re necessarily wrong but GB in the upsell tier just feels odd to me given it straddles the line between 8 and 16 bit generations so in my mind it goes in the base tier. But like you said, they want people to upgrade and GB would be a hell of a draw especially with Pokémon in tow.

I believe that’s an Irem game and so far I don’t think any of their games are on the service (including 10-yard fight).

If they do a single GB/GBC app I really hope there’s an option to run Grey/Black cartridges on either hardware
Hmm that’s an odd one. Outside of R-Type they don’t have any collections released and they made a lot of great games for the NES. Would love to see them.

You’re right about Kung Fu. Forgot it was Irem since Miyamoto and Ninty converted it from the ground up and made it in house and published it. But still technically belongs to Irem.

Honestly, the one I most want to see on NSO is Sim City. Still the best version of the original IMO but I doubt EA will play ball.

If they run out of Rare games for NSO there’s a bevy of them they can put out on other platforms 😄
Which reminds me... other Rare/Microsoft owned games on the NES/SNES that could also be handy for filling up the schedule
FAkL-v3XoAQO19f.png

Just recently ArcSystem Works and Rare partnered to re-release Battletoads & Double Dragon on a cartridge, so a NSO re-release shouldn't be that unfeasible either

Rare also got a couple of Genesis games as well, iirc

You forgot Solar Jetman!

Unfortunately I think the Wizards & Warriors games are stuck in rights hell for some reason?

I'm not sure if the constant updates to the NES/SNES apps that people claim to want are really economical. Nintendo has already added most of their own games and are just finding cheap games to toss on there now. why should nintendo throw a lot of money at konami and capcom to license better quality retro games, only to need to renegotiate the deals in a few years time, when anyone can just spend 10 dollars and buy those very same games outright during a sale on the eshop? What else could Nintendo do with that time and money? And should they put all those resources into adding more content to a service tier that already has over 100 games, and only costs twenty dollars a year? And are the people claiming to want these games really going to spend that much time playing them?

Improve the quality of online play
Get the conspicuously absent big-ticket first party games like Earthbound and Super Mario RPG
Continue to add new games to flesh out your newest focus areas (N64)

These are all high-impact and a good use of resources. I am not convinced spending millions on ensuring you get more NES and SNES games on a regular basis is sensible.
Clearly someone isn't paying much attention to the service if they think EarthBound is still absent ;)

The idea that Nintendo aren't concerned with games outside of their own first-party titles folds in on itself when you consider the tiny, miniscule little factor that they are licencing the Mega Drive library from Sega for NSO. That also includes some third-party games from publishers like... Konami and Capcom! You could just spend 30 bucks and buy many of those very same games on the eShop via the Sega Mega Drive Classics compilation; doesn't seem particularly sensible on Nintendo's part to spend millions ensuring those games remain part of their service, and yet here we are. Those games have value, as do the major absent third-party titles for Nintendo's platforms.

Personally speaking, i'd play the hell out of the NES Mega Man games on NSO, yeah. I already own the Legacy Collection on Switch but NERD's emulation is just superior, and as a huge fan of those games i'd love to play them in the best way possible. They're a core part of the system's library to me (and clearly many others since I am far from the first to share this sentiment), same for Castlevania. NERD clearly recognise the value in those titles too if that leaked build of the NES app is anything to go by; just a shame that their enthusiasm for emulating the best the system has to offer is held back by the realities of licencing and dealing with external parties.

Kgorgj8.jpg

The fact is that NSO is the one and only alternative to Virtual Console Nintendo are offering on their current platform. Wii Virtual Console had well over 600 games; 300 on 3DS and 400 on Wii U; if we're losing that service it's only fair to expect the alternative to eventually offer something that can be seen as equivalent. The four available platforms currently offer a total of 172 games (counting the four announced N64 games that have not released); a lot more have been internally tested but only time will tell how many are released in the end.

NSO's library has huge holes, Game Boy and Game Boy Advance are some of those holes and they will be filled, but Nintendo can't make the service as appealing as possible with just their own titles. I think the above list of N64 titles from CyberWolf emphasises that; there really aren't ton of first-party N64 games left to pull from. The majority of titles they had planned and tested for N64 VC in the past are not owned by them, and they'll need to start digging into that library eventually to keep adding value to the service. More of Rare's titles, Goemon and Bomberman from Konami, Mischief Makers for the cult classic hit; those are the types of titles that'd enrich the library and make it more appealing to different groups of fans.

They should also improve the quality of their online service too! These two goals should not need to preclude each other.

To briefly weigh in on the current discussion; i'm currently betting on GB(C) for base sub and GBA for expansion pack. If anything I think both being on expansion pack is more likely than both being on base sub. We'll just have to see when Nintendo feel like announcing them.

This is the year of Doshin's return; I believe!

More seriously, i'm not totally ruling out the posibility of Animal Crossing. The emulator has finished, functioning support for real-time clock emulation which is ONLY used by that one game. Doesn't guarantee it, they've also got mostly functioning Controller Pak emulation disabled for no good reason, but it is very feasible.

Clearly someone isn't paying much attention to the service if they think EarthBound is still absent ;)

The idea that Nintendo aren't concerned with games outside of their own first-party titles folds in on itself when you consider the tiny, miniscule little factor that they are licencing the Mega Drive library from Sega for NSO. That also includes some third-party games from publishers like... Konami and Capcom! You could just spend 30 bucks and buy many of those very same games on the eShop via the Sega Mega Drive Classics compilation; doesn't seem particularly sensible on Nintendo's part to spend millions ensuring those games remain part of their service, and yet here we are. Those games have value, as do the major absent third-party titles for Nintendo's platforms.

Personally speaking, i'd play the hell out of the NES Mega Man games on NSO, yeah. I already own the Legacy Collection on Switch but NERD's emulation is just superior, and as a huge fan of those games i'd love to play them in the best way possible. They're a core part of the system's library to me (and clearly many others since I am far from the first to share this sentiment), same for Castlevania. NERD clearly recognise the value in those titles too if that leaked build of the NES app is anything to go by; just a shame that their enthusiasm for emulating the best the system has to offer is held back by the realities of licencing and dealing with external parties.

Kgorgj8.jpg

The fact is that NSO is the one and only alternative to Virtual Console Nintendo are offering on their current platform. Wii Virtual Console had well over 600 games; 300 on 3DS and 400 on Wii U; if we're losing that service it's only fair to expect the alternative to eventually offer something that can be seen as equivalent. The four available platforms currently offer a total of 172 games (counting the four announced N64 games that have not released); a lot more have been internally tested but only time will tell how many are released in the end.

NSO's library has huge holes, Game Boy and Game Boy Advance are some of those holes and they will be filled, but Nintendo can't make the service as appealing as possible with just their own titles. I think the above list of N64 titles from CyberWolf emphasises that; there really aren't ton of first-party N64 games left to pull from. The majority of titles they had planned and tested for N64 VC in the past are not owned by them, and they'll need to start digging into that library eventually to keep adding value to the service. More of Rare's titles, Goemon and Bomberman from Konami, Mischief Makers for the cult classic hit; those are the types of titles that'd enrich the library and make it more appealing to different groups of fans.

They should also improve the quality of their online service too! These two goals should not need to preclude each other.

To briefly weigh in on the current discussion; i'm currently betting on GB(C) for base sub and GBA for expansion pack. If anything I think both being on expansion pack is more likely than both being on base sub. We'll just have to see when Nintendo feel like announcing them.

This is the year of Doshin's return; I believe!

More seriously, i'm not totally ruling out the posibility of Animal Crossing. The emulator has finished, functioning support for real-time clock emulation which is ONLY used by that one game. Doesn't guarantee it, they've also got mostly functioning Controller Pak emulation disabled for no good reason, but it is very feasible.

For the NSO online play I’d just like random matchmaking. Also, please give me the option to turn off rewind like in Sega Ages. It’s a cool tool, but I find myself using it when I don’t want to lol

For the NSO online play I’d just like random matchmaking. Also, please give me the option to turn off rewind like in Sega Ages. It’s a cool tool, but I find myself using it when I don’t want to lol
All depends on if the feature makes it into the final app (or if it gets patched back into the previous platform apps, I guess).

r8J0EpH.png

I think random matchmaking is unlikely for NSO online play. Just seems like simulating multiple controllers on a single console (or GB link cable) would be a mess with randos. These were all designed around being right next to the other players, for long stretches of time. It works ok with friends because at least those are people you know and wouls commit to playing with for a time.

Maybe If they matched based on the game and some amount of time to play, that would work. But I don’t think they care about it.

Thanks! 🐺 ✨

I think you missed out on Diddy Kong Racing, I don't see it on here.

I think you missed out on Diddy Kong Racing, I don't see it on here.
That's right! I did forget! .. must be because I was first looking for just Nintendo published games and just added the Rare ones from memory... DDKR was published by Rare themselves, despite having Diddy Kong branding;

Either way, I'd categorize it as a farily likely.. though we still have yet to see another Rare game beyond Banjo-Kazooie before betting on anything, yes?

EDIT: fixed that unforgivable sin!

Last edited:
GB and GBA, plus continuing software updates to existing systems, should see the number of games on NSO land somewhere between that of 3DS and Wii U's Virtual Console (300 to 400 games). Not bad, given the issues with third party licensing, but also demonstrates why third party licenses are important. There's no touching the original Wii Virtual Console without more systems and more third parties.

Thanks! 🐺 ✨

DK 64 I think would also fall under Rare/Microsoft because of Jet Pac. It’s in that same unique position as Diddy Kong Racing with having a Rare/Microsoft owned property in there.

DK 64 I think would also fall under Rare/Microsoft because of Jet Pac. It’s in that same unique position as Diddy Kong Racing with having a Rare/Microsoft owned property in there.
Since this is an edit of a previous kind of listing I made, I lumped DK64 with other Nintendo fully-owned games, because that was the "Nintendo published" section; Meanwhile, Diddy Kong Racing is a Rare published game, so I decided to keep with the Microsoft ones lol

Even though, by technically, both games are actually Nintendo's, it's just that some of the content within those games needs Microsoft approval for a rerelease;

Back
Top Bottom