• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour NSO GB/C and GBA emulators allegedly leaked

Gingerbread Man

Paratroopa
So, apparently, Hiyoko, the long-rumoured GB/C emulator made by NERD, was just leaked on 4chan, together with a GBA emulator called Sloop.

Both seem to be working, have some nice screen filters and multiplayer support.

Based on their names, Hiyoko should have been made from scratch by NERD (like Kachikachi (NES), Hachihachi (DS) and Hagi (GC)), while Sloop was probably made in Japan or China and NERD took over its development (like they did with Canoe (SNES) and Hovercraft (N64)).

Do insiders know if these two are releasing at the same time / close to each other, or is GBA going to be added until 2023 at the earliest?

My crazy nutjob theory is that GB/A games were originally slated to come to NSO last year, but Nintendo figured that those platforms wouldn't be considered "premium" enough to spearhead a second NSO tier, which is why they brought forward N64 games earlier as planned - which would also explain why N64 emulation feels like an unfinished clusterfuck.

Do insiders know if these two are releasing at the same time / close to each other, or is GBA going to be added until 2023 at the earliest?
i don't know what the leaks are but simultaneous release of GB/GBC for base NSO and GBA for the expansion makes a whole lotta sense.

No signs of SGB support though.
dMI7zvS.png

This is giving me so much hope. The NSO is really shapping up.

Discoveries like that give me hope. Next up; a perfect Sega Saturn emulator for Nintendo Switch please. It’s the console I have had the most pleasure revisiting the last 1-2 years.

Didn't Sega lose a lot of the original source codes? I'd love to see Saturn, 32x, CD, and the Master system but most of them feel like long shots.

Being extremely sure that since before Switch came to market, Nintendo has been developing/finished NES, SNES, N64, GB/C, GBA, NDS emulators.

This year -> GB/C
2023 -> GBA
2024 -> NDS (20th anniversary!)

Hope that Pokemon Pinball GBC makes it this time. It's never been rereleased, I imagine due to lack of rumble, so the Switch is the chance that it finds the daylight.

Discoveries like that give me hope. Next up; a perfect Sega Saturn emulator for Nintendo Switch please. It’s the console I have had the most pleasure revisiting the last 1-2 years.
Honestly surprised that was never a Virtual Console option, unless it's just something that couldn't have been reasonably emulated on the Wii

dMI7zvS.png
😔

I hope it's true and will get announced soon. I also want to have the Pokemon company on board. Playing gen 3 on Switch would be an awesome nostalgia trip.

Yessssss!

GB/GBC games are still great for the most part - as usual, licensed games and the shovelware are mostly crap. But a lot of bangers from Nintendo, Capcom, Konami, Sunsoft, Taito, etc.

They really made some still fun to this day quick pick up and play made for handheld games. And as the system went on, we got some really refined experiences with terrific spritework that despite being B & W, looked nice than many NES games and played better as devs really took good grasp of proper physics.

K, sounds good.

Hopefully, I won't have to wait too long for Wario Land goodness.

No Super Game Boy support is disappointing if true. It seems to be a pretty common feature on most unofficial emulators these days. But sounds like there are some screen options at least which is good. Really hope this means that they're both coming out around the same time, and hopefully announced at or before the June direct.

I've kind of been assuming GB would be this year and GBA would be next year. But I guess we'll see how it shakes out.

Cool. That’s one way to get my Megaman Battle Network collection. Oh wait, probably not.

But at least Golden Sun will return 🥲

But people told me I lied about that.

And to be clear: GB/GBC was done testing last year. GBA had not yet entered that phase. GBA could have been an active project since the original information.
I recommend stop taking internet trolls seriously.

99% don’t care if you’re right. They just want to see you respond back to them. It’s just a play for them. And those that aren’t trolls also don’t care that you’re right.

Well, depending what line up looks like... I may cancel my Pocket pre-order. I have a couple of games with translation like The Frog for whom The Bell Tolls and Mother 3, but other than those two.... I am sure Capcom will eventually do the Battle Network collection, already have both Castlevania Collections on Switch... I would miss Crazy Castle (licensing nightmare) and a few others.

I've kind of been assuming GB would be this year and GBA would be next year. But I guess we'll see how it shakes out.
They are moving way too slow already, GB on base NSO and GBA on expansion makes sense to me so that base users finally get thrown a bone

Bro I was JUST thinking of buying a modded gba with a backlight.

Please release soon.

Why should I trust this specific leak? Has anyone confirmed if the leak is real?
There is so much identifying information that was leaked that it's almost impossible to not be real. It would be magnitudes bigger of a fake than the grinch leak was.

For example, entire builds of three NSO apps are useable and playable, along with source code that contains identifying information from developers at Nintendo, along with Box version control commit logs and timestamps

People are actually building from the code and playing pre-finished builds of it

The Cotton Anthology had a decent Saturn emulator. Overall it has good compatibility, but it suffers from input lag.
Well, depending what line up looks like... I may cancel my Pocket pre-order. I have a couple of games with translation like The Frog for whom The Bell Tolls and Mother 3, but other than those two.... I am sure Capcom will eventually do the Battle Network collection, already have both Castlevania Collections on Switch... I would miss Crazy Castle (licensing nightmare) and a few others.
Other than the fan-translations, I'd really miss the fan-colorization hacks. Mario Land 2 DX and Metroid II DX look astonishingly good in colors, and I can't wait for Kaeru DX.

This seems like a pretty huge leak? I mean, not the sort of thing that would just accidentally end up out there or fall into someone's hands. It's dev builds of unreleased official Nintendo emulators. Seems to me that it'd have to be someone directly at NERD who put this out and I can't imagine Nintendo are going to be too happy about that. Honestly a pretty weird thing to leak too on top of that, like, people already have working GB/GBA emulators lol so the only point of leaking these is to show them running on Switch and that Nintendo is developing them for an official release.

For Pokémon fans, there is a “Pokémon - Trade” option in the GBA emulator right above the three Golden Sun options, so that could hint/confirm the GB & GBA mainline Pokémon games coming to NSO
This is the real megaton. Concrete evidence that they're considering the GBA Pokémon games as part of GBA. That would drive a lot of NSO subs, and if they have Pokémon Home compatibility, that will drive subs for that as well.

I think it's gonna be GB/GBC for base NSO and GBA for the Expansion Pack. Hopefully both come soon.

Cool. That’s one way to get my Megaman Battle Network collection. Oh wait, probably not.

But at least Golden Sun will return 🥲

I recommend stop taking internet trolls seriously.

99% don’t care if you’re right. They just want to see you respond back to them. It’s just a play for them. And those that aren’t trolls also don’t care that you’re right.
Considering I never say, "Told you so" or take a victory lap, I don't think poking fun at those that call me a liar on this very forum or those that demand a list of correct info is entirely out of line. I don't care what trolls say nor do I care about being given credit for things. I don't do any of this for clout or name recognition.

It does get annoying to be called a liar time and time again here, however.

@NateDrake scoop info is paying dividends!!!! Hell yeah! Never had doubts....NSO was always a long term subscription service that would grow.

I'm more willing to give those Super Mario Land and Zelda Oracle games a try now under the service when they hit.

I hope the Sonic GBA games hit GBA NSO as well.

Omg, please have all GBA FE games. I would immediately sub to NSO since I ain't subbing until Sunbreak and Splatoon 3.

I didn’t expect this to be posted publicly so early, lol. Aw well, least I had a head start on looking into it!

dMI7zvS.png
This string from the emulator may be of interest to you then:

--machine-type, -mt<dmg|mgb|sgb|cgb|agb|ags> Emulate the specified hardware.

Now, if you perhaps forced the SGB mode to load in with, say, DK’94, it doesn’t display 100% accurately yet, but it’s clearly something they’re taking into consideration.

Running GBC games in GBA mode will only have advantages for like two or three games, but that’s something important to have too.

But people told me I lied about that.

And to be clear: GB/GBC was done testing last year. GBA had not yet entered that phase. GBA could have been an active project since the original information.
The GBA emulator build leaked dates to 2020, so they’ve been tinkering away at it for awhile. The build here is one very much in the midst of emulator compatibility testing; a lot of specific instances set up for testing link cable features in different games, and more done behind the scenes.

Feature wise they had save states and rewinds working, and online play (including random matchmaking) in testing.

For Pokémon fans, there is a “Pokémon - Trade” option in the GBA emulator right above the three Golden Sun options, so that could hint/confirm the GB & GBA mainline Pokémon games coming to NSO
That’s Pokémon Pinball Ruby and Sapphire. There is evidence of them having tested mainline Pokémon regardless though; for berry tag trading in the Gen 3 games to be precise.

So is there a list of titles it seems like they'll be supporting?

GB/C for base NSO and GBA for NSO+EP this September makes so much sense.

I'm so hype. There's so many great GB/C gems that really shouldn't get lost to time. With them killing the 3DS and Wii U eShops weirdly early, they really really needed to do this, so I'm glad they are.

Wait, didn’t some people say that Nintendo wasn’t bringing GBA over? I remember last year some leakers said only GB and GBC were coming to Switch Online

Back
Top Bottom