• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Predictions Now that the Switch 2 is (apparently) delayed, let's predict Nintendo's 2024 lineup!

I don't think it will happen but a 2D Donkey Kong would be nice. A COD remaster would go a long way for me.

March : Princess Peach Showtime!
April : ?
May : Endless Ocean Luminous
June : Fire Emblem 4
July : Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
August : ?
September : Paper Mario TTYD
October : Metroid Prime 4
November : ?

Donkey Kong is the only "bankable" license that can still be released on Switch.... But I don't know, I have a feeling Nintendo is saving it for Super Switch in cross gen but I hope I'm wrong :)

Many talk about Twilight Princess and Wind Waker HD but I don't believe it. I can't see Nintendo bringing out an HD version twice in a row. And Tears of the Kingdom is still too new. Seeing how sales dropped drastically after the first few weeks, I'm not sure people are asking for it.

April - SNES Remix, Luigi’s Mansion 1 (Hagi port)
May - Endless Ocean Luminous, Paper Mario TTYD
June - Donkey Kong: Donkiest Donkey, Rhythm Heaven finally
July - Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
August - Luigi’s Mansion 2 HD, Tomodachi Life
September - Metroid Prime 4
October - Ring Fit Adventure 2
November - Mario Party something
December - idk

yeah right

SO !

April : ?
May : Endless Ocean Luminous - Paper Mario TTYD
June : Luigi's Mansion 2
July : ?
August : ?
September : ?
October : ?
November : ?

Nintendo Direct in April ? Metroid Prime 4 in October ? :D

April : Nintendo Direct, LM1HD available on eshop
July : FE4 remake
August : MP2+3 HD available on eshop
September : TWW and/or TP HD
October : MP4
November : EPD 8 DK or Pokemon B&W remake by ILCA

they would’ve announced the pokemon game at the pokemon presents no?

I’m sort of excited that we don’t know what’s after Luigi’s mansion! Could be be anything, I’m still expecting largely ports and remasters, but I’d happily play wind waker, twilight princess, or woolly world again. Kirby robobot or triple deluxe getting the the same treatment return to dreamland got last year would also be welcome. I’m of course also remaining hopeful they’ve got something new up their sleeve. It’s about time for a brand new yoshi game, wario land, or donkey kong country making a come back might be in the cards as well. As far as large new 3d games, on the scale of a Zelda or 3d mario, I’m not expecting anything on that scale again until the switch 2. Possibly Metroid prime 4, but that’s about it.

Alright, time for new predictions now that we know the release dates of Luigi’s Mansion 2 HD and TTYD. This is really just a big guessing game since we really know nothing past June, but I’ll give it my best shot:

March: Princess Peach: Showtime

April: Nothing

May: Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and Endless Ocean: Luminous

June: Luigi’s Mansion 2 HD

July: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD

August: Fire Emblem 4 Remake

September: Pokémon X and Y Remastered

October: Metroid Prime 2 and 3 Remastered and Nintendo DS - Nintendo Switch Online

November: Super Mario Galaxy 2 Deluxe

December: Nothing

Seemed decently realistic until this
My logic was that they needed something to fill the big November slot, and since 3D Mario was likely supposed to be their big Holiday game for this year before the Switch 2 delay, maybe they could swap it out with a remaster or "deluxe" version of Galaxy 2 that they've either been sitting on or could throw together relatively quickly.

My logic was that they needed something to fill the big November slot, and since 3D Mario was likely supposed to be their big Holiday game for this year before the Switch 2 delay, maybe they could swap it out with a remaster or "deluxe" version of Galaxy 2 that they've either been sitting on or could throw together relatively quickly.

Fire Emblem 4 + Metroid Prime 4

04d.gif

Maybe there will be a Pokemon Presents in August, like 2022 and 2023?
The August Pokémon Presents has typically been for giving updates on announced titles. I don't think they've ever announced something new (video game related) at one of them.

Since Pokémon Day started being a thing in 2016, we've had three mainline game announcements outside of that day. With Ultra Sun/Moon and Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee (which was announced at a Pokémon Press conference) they had no prior mainline announcement on Pokémon day and with Sword/Shield's Expansion Pass, they had a large Pokémon Direct in January and no Pokémon day presentation.

So I think it's pretty unlikely that there is and X and Y remaster or faithful Unova Remake scheduled for this year.

Last edited:
The August Pokémon Presents has typically been for giving updates on announced titles. I don't think they've ever announced something new (video game related) at one of them.

Since Pokémon Day started being a thing in 2016, we've had three mainline game announcements outside of that day. With Ultra Sun/Moon and Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee (which was announced at a Pokémon Press conference) they had no prior mainline announcement on Pokémon day and with Sword/Shield's Expansion Pass, they had a large Pokémon Direct in January and no Pokémon day presentation.

So I think it's pretty unlikely that there is and X and Y remaster or faithful Unova Remake scheduled for this year.
I also think it’s not the most likely, but I don’t think it’s completely impossible. You will note, however, that I am making another suggestion for November 2024.

So at this point, the first ~6 months are set.

Another Code: Recollection- January 19th
Mario vs Donkey Kong- February 16th
Splatoon 3 DLC: Side Order- February 22nd
Princess Peach: Showtime!- March 22nd
Endless Ocean: Luminous- May 2nd
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door HD- May 23rd
Luigi's Mansion 2 HD- June 27th

Metroid Prime 4- TBD

At this point the second half of the year is completely wide open and we already know that we aren't getting a Pokemon game this year. Nintendo probably has more remasters to announce. We may end up seeing some of the following.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Metroid Prime 2
Metroid Prime 3
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Yoshi's Wolley World
Star Fox Adventures
Star Fox Assault
Star Fox Zero
Wave Race: Blue Storm
F-Zero GX

At best we are probably only getting a combination of ~4 of those. I guess we will find out soonish.

Any chance of a physical release for F-Zero 99 this year? Would help fill out the calendar and be another enticing game for NSO in stores like Tetris 99

I get to cheat a bit since I didn't make any of these lists before the direct and pokemon announcements.

March: Princess Peach Showtime
April: nothing
May: Endless Ocean
June: Paper Mario TTYD
July: Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
August: nothing
September: Fire Emblem 4 remake
October: Metroid Prime 4
November: Mario Party, Zelda Wind Waker HD
December: nothing
I was one month off with Paper Mario and LM2. I still think one month between July and August will be empty, but definitely not both. I'm sure there will definitely be enough H2 titles. It won't be the best year in the switch lifetime, but I don't anticipate it being the worst either.

Even by Nintendo standards the second half is empty. Last year had the Pokemon DLC and Pikmin 4 set out before the June Direct, but this year is a total blank. 2D Mario was also a logical guess for the holiday season's big hitter, but there's no corresponding consensus game for 2024. Gonna be an interesting couple of months.

Nintendo: Listen to what I have to say and then repeat after me. Can you do that?

Me: Sure.

Nintedo: Okay. "Paper Mario is releasing on May 23rd, 2024. Luigi's Mansion 2 HD is releasing on June 27th, 2024." Now you say it.

Me: "Metroid Prime 4 is coming out this year".

Nintendo: ...

Then keeping April empty is interesting, could he saved for a digital shadow drop?

I was thinking this exact thing after TTYD was announced for May and LM2 for June; I had them predicted as April and May respectively. There's always the option they could have one empty month with April, but it feels ripe for a shadow drop within the rumored Direct. Big candidates IMO are Metroid Prime 2/3 and Luigi's Mansion 1.

April - Metroid Prime 2 HD + 3 HD
May - Endless Ocean // Paper Mario TTYD
June - Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
July - The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD + Twilight Princess HD
August - Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
September - F-Zero GX HD
October - Metroid Prime 4
November - Pokémon Black and White 1 + 2
December - Animal Crossing Party

April - Metroid Prime 2 HD + 3 HD
May - Endless Ocean // Paper Mario TTYD
June - Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
July - The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD + Twilight Princess HD
August - Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
September - F-Zero GX HD
October - Metroid Prime 4
November - Pokémon Black and White 1 + 2
December - Animal Crossing Party

You know, an Animal Crossing Party game done right could be legit.

April - nothing
May - HAL drops a random Kirby spinoff on the eshop
June - Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door
July - Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
August - nothing
September - F-Zero GX shadowdrop
October - Nintendo panics from no Switch 2 and finally makes the N64 Mini
November - Pokémon Black & White Remakes
December - nothing

Well I got nothing right lol. I'll at least take a win on predicting that TTYD releases before LM2. But I had both games 1 month later than in reality. (Plus I didn't see Endless Ocean coming or the lack of mainline Pokémon)

I will say that the fact that we are getting a pretty meaty 2nd quarter with 3 games (Endless Ocean, TTYD, LM2) hopefully signals they do have a good amount of games to release this fall between September and November. Here's how I'll break down the rest of the year:

July: They probably have 1 more summer game left to complete the lineup. Its a good time to launch FE4 remake here if it's real. This month worked great for Three Houses and they may want a more "core gamer" focused title after a first half filled with Mario games.

August and December: most years it's nothing so I'll stick with that

September, October, and November: for their fall lineup we will probably see another 3 to 4 releases. September usually gets the smallest game so maybe another Gamecube remaster shadow dropped in a Direct. (F-Zero, Zelda, or Metroid for likely candidates) October then sure seems like the month for Metroid Prime 4 if we are getting it this year. As for November, maybe finish it off with something more casual focused for a wider audience like a new Mario Party.

Last edited:
In terms of remasters, what if they secured some third party gamecube or wii remasters?

Phantasy star Online
Skies of Arkadia
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Crazy Taxi

July: Fire Emblem 4 Remake
August: some eShop game or maybe one of Metroid Prime 2/3 or Zelda WW/TP
September: Donkey Kong by EPD Tokyo
October: Mario Party
November: Metroid Prime 4
December: nothing or Tomodachi Life or Ring Fit Adventure 2

This is the most optimistic speculation from you in a bit! 😀 The announcements today put a bit more wind into your cautiously optimistic sails? ⛵ 🦁

So at this point, the first ~6 months are set.

Another Code: Recollection- January 19th
Mario vs Donkey Kong- February 16th
Splatoon 3 DLC: Side Order- February 22nd
Princess Peach: Showtime!- March 22nd
Endless Ocean: Luminous- May 2nd
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door HD- May 23rd
Luigi's Mansion 2 HD- June 27th

Metroid Prime 4- TBD

At this point the second half of the year is completely wide open and we already know that we aren't getting a Pokemon game this year. Nintendo probably has more remasters to announce. We may end up seeing some of the following.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Metroid Prime 2
Metroid Prime 3
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Yoshi's Wolley World
Star Fox Adventures
Star Fox Assault
Star Fox Zero
Wave Race: Blue Storm
F-Zero GX

At best we are probably only getting a combination of ~4 of those. I guess we will find out soonish.
You don't think we'll get any non-remasters besides MP4?

I'd love to see many of those remasters, plus the one in my post above this, but I'm optimistic there will be at least 3 brand new games in H2.

Even by Nintendo standards the second half is empty. Last year had the Pokemon DLC and Pikmin 4 set out before the June Direct, but this year is a total blank. 2D Mario was also a logical guess for the holiday season's big hitter, but there's no corresponding consensus game for 2024. Gonna be an interesting couple of months.

That reminds me. I'm still hoping for Wonder DLC. Today's news makes me more optimistic for a less expected Zelda game this year, too

Edit: as @Gartooth said, I think a Kirby spin-off or some type of release is a good bet, too. At this point I expect the next mainline 3D Kirby in early 2026.

Then keeping April empty is interesting, could he saved for a digital shadow drop?

Great timing for a LM or DKCR Hagi drop. Or SNES remix as @N75 mentioned. I would love to see that and Pushmo return.

Granted, I would also love to see a Dr. Mario World port so everyone could see what a brilliant and handcrafted puzzler it was.

Pokémon Legends Arceus was apparently mostly done by early 2021 and could've released by late 2021 if they wanted. Game Freak would've had about the same time or more than Legends to release a game like it this holiday.

I've seen some people skeptical about Black/White remakes, I wonder why's that? Maybe because they skipped remakes(outside Let's Go) for the Sun/Moon generation?

I recall a rather known Pokémon leaker hinting at a Legends Unova game, so maybe Game Freak decided to go big on it and skip traditional remakes this time. Arceus was a huge success, had it not gotten its legs cut by Scarlet and Violet it'd be on the 20m team since it made 13m super fast.
the Pokemon leaker was full of shit.

Pokemon only does 1 remake per gen, gen 5 is switch 2 and gen 6 switch 3.

that way Pokemon gets further and further from the remakes so they never stay in parity or catch up

by the time we are at gen 6 remake we should be on gen 12-13.
gen 7 14-15
and then they can remake gen 8, because we would be on gen 16-17, gen 8 would be halfway point of the series at that point.

legends seems to be its own thing.

i personally think Fire emblem 4 remake would suit it better, its their highest effort and probably most expensive game to make of the year, may as well push that one.

i personally think Fire emblem 4 remake would suit it better, its their highest effort and probably most expensive game to make of the year, may as well push that one.
Having the holiday title be a Fire Emblem or Metroid game would be a huge mistake IMO. They're not mass appeal titles. If it isn't DK, it's probably Zelda (HD ports or a 2D remake).

Nintendo could easily position Fire Emblem or Metroid in the October slot ahead of something more mass market friendly in November; or vice versa. Super Mario RPG did well in November last year, Metroid Dread got an October launch in 2021 and did well, and Age of Calamity got a November launch in 2020 and also did well. Each time Nintendo had a commercially bigger game launch either shortly before or shortly after that, and each time it was a Super Mario game.

Something similar may well play out this year, if Mario Party does come along. Something like DK or Tomodachi would also be a more interesting mainstream bet later this year, but I agree that Zelda is an option in some form. 2D Zelda or a HD remaster could push 5 million or more.

that way Pokemon gets further and further from the remakes so they never stay in parity or catch up

gen 7 14-15
and then they can remake gen 8, because we would be on gen 16-17, gen 8 would be halfway point of the series at that point.

There were already two remakes this gen?

Let's Go (Masuda called them Pokemon yellow remakes) and BDSP. Not only that but Pokemon Company will probably just do whatever they think makes them money. Unless they specified set rules for remakes anything within reason is fair game. Pattern watching rarely ever works, I mean we're getting legends Z lol

gen 7 14-15

Honestly, I'm more inclined to believe Legends games are the replacement for the traditional remake cycle. BDSP was more of a failsafe in case people didn't gravitate toward PLA. But now that people are used to the Legends formula, they don't really need to do traditional remakes at all anymore - especially after how poorly received BDSP was. More people seem to want Legends games that revisit old regions, so why would they invest money into additional "faithful" remakes?

I think they just decided to skip Unova for Kalos because:

A. They had more ideas for it
B. There's more nostalgia for Generation 6 as a whole, especially now that we're just past the ten-year mark of X and Y's original release (and the start of the XY anime, which is another huge factor in all this that people overlook).

That's not to say they'll never do a traditional remake again, or even that they'll never revisit Unova in a full game. Rather, I don't think it's a surefire thing anymore. The old patterns are seemingly dead.

As @Magic-Man said, Fire Emblem isn't a mass-appeal title. Even if it's technically their most expensive game budget-wise this year, it's not a game they would ever position as a Holiday tentpole. Most parents aren't going to buy Fire Emblem as a Christmas gift for little Timmy. They would be much more likely to buy a game from the Mario universe, or another recognizable Nintendo IP like Zelda or Pokémon.

Seems like now we really know what’s expected for the first half of this year. Here’s what’s on my table for games that may possibly show up this year (based on rumors or whatnot):

Animal Crossing: Bell Festival
Donkey Kong Country: Metropolis Mayhem
Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
Kid Icarus Uprising HD
Mario & Sonic 2024
Metroid Prime 2 HD
Nintendogs: Ruff Racing!
Oracle of Ages/Seasons
Pushmo Playground
Rhythm Heaven Gigamix
Tomodachi World
Twilight Princess HD
Xenoblade Chronicles X Port
Xenoblade Warriors
Wind Waker HD

Seems like now we really know what’s expected for the first half of this year. Here’s what’s on my table for games that may possibly show up this year (based on rumors or whatnot):

Animal Crossing: Bell Festival
Donkey Kong Country: Metropolis Mayhem
Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
Kid Icarus Uprising HD
Mario & Sonic 2024
Metroid Prime 2 HD
Nintendogs: Ruff Racing!
Oracle of Ages/Seasons
Pushmo Playground
Rhythm Heaven Gigamix
Tomodachi World
Twilight Princess HD
Xenoblade Chronicles X Port
Xenoblade Warriors
Wind Waker HD
The names are a nice touch! How about Kid Icarus: ReUprising? 😆

That's actually a game where I could see the plot being updated to a meta sequel, like FFVII.

You don't think we'll get any non-remasters besides MP4?

I'd love to see many of those remasters, plus the one in my post above this, but I'm optimistic there will be at least 3 brand new games in H2.

It gets tricky because whatever was planned for the Switch 2 launch was obviously delayed. ND Cube is probably due this year so we could see a new Mario Party.

I don't expect Princess Peach and (hopefully) Metroid to be the only new games from Nintendo this year, but I don't think we are getting more than a couple of other new releases. 2024 is the year of remasters/remakes for Nintendo.

It gets tricky because whatever was planned for the Switch 2 launch was obviously delayed. ND Cube is probably due this year so we could see a new Mario Party.

I don't expect Princess Peach and (hopefully) Metroid to be the only new games from Nintendo this year, but I don't think we are getting more than a couple of other new releases. 2024 is the year of remasters/remakes for Nintendo.

Wow, forgetting Endless Ocean 3.

This is the most optimistic speculation from you in a bit! 😀 The announcements today put a bit more wind into your cautiously optimistic sails? ⛵ 🦁
That’s exactly it haha. (And I love the sail analogy because I want Wind Waker HD on the go).

If you don’t use LM2HD for Haloween and you don’t use Arlo HD as your year-end Mario title either, it means you have things planned for the second half of the year.

And also, for heaven’s sake, I need Prime 4. Well, and I also need Kid Icarus Uprising, and DK, and Starfox, but I mostly need Prime 4. I’m at a point of addiction where I recently started playing Metroid "the baby" again on Wii and think it’s actually good.

Having the holiday title be a Fire Emblem or Metroid game would be a huge mistake IMO. They're not mass appeal titles. If it isn't DK, it's probably Zelda (HD ports or a 2D remake).
Agreed, even with dread as a holiday title in 2021 it still had 2 10 million sellers in mario part superstars and the gen 4 pokemon remakes

Agreed, even with dread as a holiday title in 2021 it still had 2 10 million sellers in mario part superstars and the gen 4 pokemon remakes
2020 didn't have any(tho there was the limited release of Super Mario 3D All Stars in September) and THE holiday title effectively was Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity. 3D World + Bowser's Fury was supposed to be the holiday title of that year but it was delayed(and without it H1 2021 would be super dire too but Monster Hunter Rise make up as a big third party exclusive).

I don't think Nintendo would be adverse to have like 4 games that go on to sell 4-6 million from September to December instead of having just one megaton that sells like crazy(like Odyssey in 2017 and Wonder in 2023).

But even a 10m seller can happen, as we'll be 3 years from Mario Party Superstars this holiday. And I'd also mention that Donkey Kong has the potential to become a 10m seller(it was pretty close to it twice).

But having, say, Metroid Prime 4 selling 4 million, some Zelda remaster or 2D game selling 6 million, some Mario spin off or casual game nobody knows about selling 5 million or alternatively Mario Party and Metroid or DK would end up in the same amount as Wonder + RPG last year.

Great points! This is an unusual situation. My impression has been that Nintendo usually has several games near completed or fully completed well on advance of their release. What we don't know is how long Nintendo expected or anticipated a Switch 2 delay vs. when the news broke.

The Wii U situation with limited games in the holiday season for 2016 is the comparison folks may go to but to me they're so different because that was an especially unsuccessful system. And then I suppose I have to also consider 3DS being sunset that year with significant first party releases locked to that system, including Picross 3D, Mario Party, Pokémon Sun/Moon and SMM 3DS. Even when Wii was poorly supported towards the end of its lifespan we got a major holiday game in Skyward Sword.

I guess my hope or optimism here is that Nintendo has known about the delay much longer than when it leaked, and regardless has had a plan B and so on. I'm just very curious how they'll pivot and handle this holiday. At that point the presumably impending Switch successor release might mean a price cut to drive holiday sales, or the introduction of $30 Selects perhaps, but I expect the latter is least likely since the evergreens will presumably continue to the next system.

Anyway, all this is to say I suspect they've had a plan for this scenario for a long time and that it may mean a cross-gen game that was to be marketed for both systems will be released for Switch this year. It's really hard to suss out but I just don't think they're going to leave the back half of the year open exclusively for remakes. And I see my hopium, lol. I just really want a great DK and it's hard to picture that not being overshadowed by a new 3D Mario next year.

Okay, I've been out of the loop here for a few months, but what? Are there really credible suggestions it's delayed out of 2024? I thought this thread title was a joke until I saw 4 pages of serious replies.

Back
Top Bottom