• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions Now that the Switch 2 is (apparently) delayed, let's predict Nintendo's 2024 lineup!

Okay, I've been out of the loop here for a few months, but what? Are there really credible suggestions it's delayed out of 2024? I thought this thread title was a joke until I saw 4 pages of serious replies.
Yes, there are credible reports (originally from a Brazilian podcast but since collaborated by Nikkei, VGC, and Eurogamer) claiming that Nintendo has made the call to internally delay the Switch from H2 2024 to March 2025. The given reason is to shore up the amount of launch year titles and/or increase stock to prevent shortages, but whether these are the actual reasons or just the positive benefits of whatever the real reason might be is unclear.

Last edited:
Great points! This is an unusual situation. My impression has been that Nintendo usually has several games near completed or fully completed well on advance of their release. What we don't know is how long Nintendo expected or anticipated a Switch 2 delay vs. when the news broke.

The Wii U situation with limited games in the holiday season for 2016 is the comparison folks may go to but to me they're so different because that was an especially unsuccessful system. And then I suppose I have to also consider 3DS being sunset that year with significant first party releases locked to that system, including Picross 3D, Mario Party, Pokémon Sun/Moon and SMM 3DS. Even when Wii was poorly supported towards the end of its lifespan we got a major holiday game in Skyward Sword.

I guess my hope or optimism here is that Nintendo has known about the delay much longer than when it leaked, and regardless has had a plan B and so on. I'm just very curious how they'll pivot and handle this holiday. At that point the presumably impending Switch successor release might mean a price cut to drive holiday sales, or the introduction of $30 Selects perhaps, but I expect the latter is least likely since the evergreens will presumably continue to the next system.

Anyway, all this is to say I suspect they've had a plan for this scenario for a long time and that it may mean a cross-gen game that was to be marketed for both systems will be released for Switch this year. It's really hard to suss out but I just don't think they're going to leave the back half of the year open exclusively for remakes. And I see my hopium, lol. I just really want a great DK and it's hard to picture that not being overshadowed by a new 3D Mario next year.
I'm sure that there were some cross-gen or Switch 1 games planned for this fall before the Switch 2 was delayed, so ideally Nintendo has at least a couple of bullets in the chamber for 2024. Whatever the big fall 2024 release was has been most likely delayed though. I have to believe that it was a Switch 2 premier title.

All I know is that we know nothing about the second half of this year.

It's incredibly difficult to guess.

The usual guesses for what I want in consideration of the Switch 2 Delay:
Metroid Prime 4
Kid Icarus Uprising Remaster
Zelda Remaster/Remake

Back
Top Bottom