• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions Now that the Switch 2 is (apparently) delayed, let's predict Nintendo's 2024 lineup!

If Nintendo did delay the Switch 2 for a stronger launch window lineup, I imagine that 2D Zelda would get saved for it. A new Zelda game would help sell the system. It's probably one of the very few games I can see them holding onto.
If think it can go either way. Maybe they feel like 2D Zelda being a new game will be better as a system seller and TPHD/WWHD would lead to great software sales but not move any units so they think they're better suited as late Switch games, yes.

In anyway I think that at least one cross gen game expected to launch in early 2025 will be pushed forward to 2024 as one probably has been pushed back(Metroid Prime 4).

Maybe they feel like DK can be a big enough holiday title for the more core audience alongside Pokémon and Mario Party.

Excluding the already known titles:

• Metroid Prime 2+3 remaster. Unlike MPR this will only be a simple upres and as a result will get much worse reviews (especially when people learn the hard way that MP3 doesnt work well with Dual Analog)
  • FE4 Remake
  • F Zero GX Remaster
  • Zelda WW+TP HD remaster
  • Pokemon B/W Remake

Thats all. Most of their teams are obviously busy with Switch 2.

Nintendo often has no game in August and December, even in the best years. Some of these predictions lists would be mega-bangers in any situation. I
don't know why they would manage to do so in a tight situation like this.

People here just have wildly unrealistic expectations.

I’m expecting a lot of remasters, and honestly that’s fine by me if most of the big guns are waiting for the next console launch.

Twilight princess or wind waker hd seem like givens, I don’t think Nintendo will offer both, but who knows.

I think that the ports of Mario sunshine and galaxy from 3d all starts will release individually this year selling for 29.99 each physical and digital. Super Mario Galaxy 2 will also get released for that same price.

There are plenty of 3ds games that would do quite well on the switch, kirby triple deluxe, Kirby robobot, kid Icarus uprising and ever oasis especially.

For new stuff outside of princess peach I could see a new Mario party game. Small scale remakes of black and white that are similar to the diamond and pearl remakes or pokemon lets go. I think they will put out metroid prime 4 for the current switch, and maybe it gets a port next year.

I had already predicted the schedule was "booked" until September, seemingly due to the Switch 2:

January: Another Code
February: Mario vs DK
March: Princess Peach Showtime
April/May: One unannounced remaster/remake (Probably FE4)
June/July: Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
August: Paper Mario TTYD

The question then was where you go from there with the Switch 2 and its lineup. Before the delay, my predictions were:

September: 3D Mario and Causal Title (Switch 2), (maybe with a cross-gen shadow-drop of Metroid Prime 2 and 3 Remastered before Prime 4)
October: Metroid Prime 4 (Cross-Gen)
November: Pokémon (Cross-Gen)

Obviously, 3D Mario and the casual launch title will get delayed alongside Switch 2. I think Nintendo would save Prime 4 for after the Switch 2 launch as well, even if it was cross-generation. The only one I don't see getting delayed is the next Pokémon title. That then leaves us with a two-month window of nothing in September/October. I think we can most realistically expect quick ports and remasters to fill that slot, ones that Nintendo have likely been sitting on in case of situations like this. I think they could also move things around from April-August. With all that in mind, here is my complete 2024 first-party roster, starting from March:

March: Princess Peach: Showtime!
April/May: Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD (I think they've been sitting on these for a rainy day and will take the FE4 remake's original slot)
June/July: Fire Emblem 4 Remake (Taking LM2HD's original slot for reasons I'll explain later)
September: Super Mario Galaxy 2 HD (Another one I think they might have been sitting on since 3D All-Stars. I could see them using this to have a 3D Mario in the September slot as originally planned.)
October: Luigi's Mansion 2 HD (Moved to October to position it as a major Halloween release instead of the late-stage port they were originally growing it out as)
November: Pokémon (positioned now as the main holiday release)
This seems realistic, and honestly given the console delay, I wouldn’t feel Dissapointed with this line up at all

I'm predicting a pretty light year, tbh, unless they rerelease more GC games quickly as a way of tiding people over, but I don't see much more than that.Princess Peach Showtime - March
TTYD and LM2HD - April or May (interchangeable)
(very very unlikely) Tomodachi life 3/port - June
Maybeee FE4 remake in July or something
And then after that, I expect some silence of some sort similar to 2016
Ditto.

I am sure Nintendo can come up with an acceptable line up for their core fans, but they clearly cleared the release schedule for the Switch 2 launching this year

This year's Q1 releases have been very low key compared to prior years.

I am personally a little concerned how an extended period without bigger 3rd party support may impact Switch momentum. I love to be surprised with a few more.impossible ports but I feel like Switch can't do much more in the sense that devs have ported what they could

Pokémon Legends Arceus was apparently mostly done by early 2021 and could've released by late 2021 if they wanted. Game Freak would've had about the same time or more than Legends to release a game like it this holiday.

I've seen some people skeptical about Black/White remakes, I wonder why's that? Maybe because they skipped remakes(outside Let's Go) for the Sun/Moon generation?

I recall a rather known Pokémon leaker hinting at a Legends Unova game, so maybe Game Freak decided to go big on it and skip traditional remakes this time. Arceus was a huge success, had it not gotten its legs cut by Scarlet and Violet it'd be on the 20m team since it made 13m super fast.

Beyond a new Mario party and maybe something small like Rhythm Heaven, I think whats announced so far is about as big as it’s gonna get. Mainly remasters and remakes with a new game sprinkled in every couple of months

Overall I think it's going to be a quiet year and we won't see much beyond what has already been announced.

January - Another Code: Recollection
February - Mario vs Donkey Kong, Splatoon 3: Side Order
March - Princess Peach Showtime, Splatoon 3 Fresh Season update
April - nothing
May - nothing
June - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Splatoon 3 Sizzle Season update
July - Pokémon spin-off game
August - nothing
September - Luigi's Mansion 2 HD, Splatoon 3 final update & final Splatfest
October - Fire Emblem Echoes: Genealogy of the Holy War
November - Mainline Pokémon game
December - nothing

Paper Mario could also fit into May. See some ideas of another smaller title in the summer that people are floating like a Kirby or a Mario sports / party game which seems a nice idea. The Pokémon game will be a lock with it being an annualised series, although I'm not sure what form it will take (considering current rumours dither between Johto, Unova, or both). A final Pokémon spin-off would be nice to get too if it's decent.

You'll notice the absence of Metroid Prime 4 on the list. I think this will slip into 2025, at the earliest February, potentially even launching after Switch 2 in say summer. There will be no further Zelda releases, and no remasters of MP2/3 (I think these and any WWHD/TPHD would be more looking at Switch 2 now).

If think it can go either way. Maybe they feel like 2D Zelda being a new game will be better as a system seller and TPHD/WWHD would lead to great software sales but not move any units so they think they're better suited as late Switch games, yes.
party.
On this subject, it would be interesting to compare the sales figures for Link's Awakening HD and Skyward Sword HD. As far as I know, there's no recent updated data, but the latest figures we have for each of the two games hover around 4 million units sold, if I'm not mistaken. These aren't insignificant figures by any means, even if they're not huge either, but if the sales performance of the two games is anything like the same, it means that a possible release of a Zelda game before Switch 2 will be entirely a strategic choice on Nintendo's part.

If there's a new 2D Zelda or a cross-gen remake of Oracles, they may release it earlier than planned on the assumption that it'll still be possible to make another one during the Switch 2 lifecycle, or they may release just WW and save TP for later, on the assumption that it allows them to charge for both games separately rather than in a double-pack. And it's even possible that they won't do anything at all because basically Luigi, Paper Mario, Fire Emblem after all that's enough for them as long as there's a Pokémon for Christmas. It's going to be fun to follow, I can't wait to see how they do.

I had already predicted the schedule was "booked" until September, seemingly due to the Switch 2:

January: Another Code
February: Mario vs DK
April/May: One unannounced remaster/remake (Probably FE4)
June/July: Luigi's Mansion 2 HD

The question then was where you go from there with the Switch 2 and its lineup. Before the delay, my predictions were:

September: 3D Mario and Causal Title (Switch 2), (maybe with a cross-gen shadow-drop of Metroid Prime 2 and 3 Remastered before Prime 4)
October: Metroid Prime 4 (Cross-Gen)
November: Pokémon (Cross-Gen)

Obviously, 3D Mario and the casual launch title will get delayed alongside Switch 2. I think Nintendo would save Prime 4 for after the Switch 2 launch as well, even if it was cross-generation. The only one I don't see getting delayed is the next Pokémon title. That then leaves us with a two-month window of nothing in September/October. I think we can most realistically expect quick ports and remasters to fill that slot, ones that Nintendo have likely been sitting on in case of situations like this. I think they could also move things around from April-August. With all that in mind, here is my complete 2024 first-party roster, starting from March:

April/May: Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD (I think they've been sitting on these for a rainy day and will take the FE4 remake's original slot)
June/July: Fire Emblem 4 Remake (Taking LM2HD's original slot for reasons I'll explain later)
September: Super Mario Galaxy 2 HD (Another one I think they might have been sitting on since 3D All-Stars. I could see them using this to have a 3D Mario in the September slot as originally planned.)
October: Luigi's Mansion 2 HD (Moved to October to position it as a major Halloween release instead of the late-stage port they were originally growing it out as)
November: Pokémon (positioned now as the main holiday release)

If they moved LM2 to October they should include the original LM as well and release it as a double pack.

Not sure what the list will be, but if there was a plan where MP4 was a Switch 2 launch window title, I refuse to believe it’ll be launching this year anymore.

Remasters and smaller titles is it. Perhaps allowing for a flexible release schedule is the reason titles like LM2 and TTYD have yet to be dated, and FE4R hasn’t been shown.

Last edited:
On this subject, it would be interesting to compare the sales figures for Link's Awakening HD and Skyward Sword HD. As far as I know, there's no recent updated data, but the latest figures we have for each of the two games hover around 4 million units sold, if I'm not mistaken
For what it's worth, the latest numbers I could find are Skyward Sword HD having sold a little over 4 million as of Dec 2022, and Link's Awakening remake having sold a bit over 6 and a half million as of June 2023

I dont expect any surprises from Nintendo. If at all, there will be several remasters.

I will be happy if there is Metroid Prime 2 & 3 and F- Zero GX as Remasters. Fire Emblem will get a Remaster ( my personal wish is the radiant saga, but it will probably be FE 4). Zelda WW and TP are hot candidates. Don't believe in Super Mario Galaxy 2, but it would be awesome. Oh and Kid Icarus Uprising would make sense. Watch them to bring the original Luigis Mansion for the lulz.

New Games are a wild card. Didn't expect any at all besides Metroid Prime 4. But maybe there are sone filler like Mario Party, Kirby or Yoshi. Pokémon could be a new one or a remaster as well.

April: Nothing.
May: Metroid Prime 2/3
June: TTYD
July: Wind Waker HD
August: Mario Baseball
September: Fire Emblem
October: Luigi’s Mansion 2
November: Pokémon, Kirby Something
December: Nothing

Last edited:
Manifesting 60 FPS Twilight Princess HD.

It's a similar upgrade to SS HD - upgraded textures, higher res, some improved models - I feel like it's possible. I know SSHD has some hybrid emulation thing going on, but still...

WWHD on the other hand, it has a new lighting engine. Not sure if that could prevent a locked 60 on Switch.

Manifesting 60 FPS Twilight Princess HD.

It's a similar upgrade to SS HD - upgraded textures, higher res, some improved models - I feel like it's possible. I know SSHD has some hybrid emulation thing going on, but still...

WWHD on the other hand, it has a new lighting engine. Not sure if that could prevent a locked 60 on Switch.
60fps for Twilight Princess HD would do wonders for the game. SSHD was too good, I don't ever want to look back at the 30 fps version.

If the Nintendo "one type of game per generation" philosophy is true, then maybe we won't get another 2D Zelda this gen.

April: Metroid Prime 2/3 HD
May: Mario & Luigi & Wario?
June: Luigi’s Mansion 2 (boo!)
July: Punch Out: Bare Knuckle
August: Steel Diver: Squid Warfare
September: Metal Slader Glory Remake
October: Famicom Detective Club x Luigi’s Mansion
November: Paper Mario TTYD
December: Hey You, Raichu!

No way. That would backfire extremely hard. If nothing else is ready I can see Windwaker/Twilight Princess in that slot.
Why would it backfire…

It’s more I. Like with what fans want than engage, it could push the series to be bigger as well.

Feels like it's probably gonna be pretty port/remaster/remake heavy, and seems like everyone is on a similar page based on the replies here. I imagine we'll still see something new outside of Peach and Pokemon, but I guess we'll have to see if that's MP4, something else, or both.

January - Another Code: Recollection
February - Mario vs Donkey Kong, Splatoon 3: Side Order
March - Princess Peach Showtime
April - nothing
May - Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
June - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess/Wind Waker
July - Metroid Prime 2/3
August - Fire Emblem Echoes: Genealogy of the Holy War,
September - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Star Fox 99
October - Super Mario Party 2
November - Pokemon Let's Go Jhoto, Metroid Prime 4
December - nothing

Not familiar with the StarCraft series, was this an original entry (i.e. Doom 64), a heavily modified version of the original (i.e. Quake 2's N64 version), or a cut down port of the PC version for the most part (i.e. Quake 1's N64 version)?
As heinous as it is to admit, SC64 is actually my only real time I spent playing Starcraft 😅 From my understanding I think it was a modified version of the original, with controls bound to the N64 controller, but it was capable of 1v1 multiplayer using split screen that provided 16:9 ratio for both players

I just realized I never did my own predictions for this lol. The fuzzy words are a Pyoro leak, so if you don't want the Partner Showcase spoiled don't click on the fuzzy buffer.

April: Super Mario Bros Wonder DLC

May: Endless Ocean 1+2 Remake

June: Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

July: Pikmin 4 DLC, Twilight Princess HD

August: Luigi's Mansion 2 HD

September: Fire Emblem Echoes: Genealogy of the Holy War, Metroid Prime 4

October: Mario Party Superstars 2

November: Pokemon Deep Black and Blinding White

Nothing in December lol

April: Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

May: Luigi’s Mansion 2

June: Digital Shadowdrops for Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD

July: Donkey Kong: Country Returns HD

August: New Mario Baseball Game (or other brand new Mario spinoff)

September: Physical release(s?) for Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD

October: Fire Emblem 4 Remake

November: New 2D Zelda

December: Nothing

Very few brand new games will be announced for the Switch 1 at this point obviously, and sadly I also don’t think we’ll get quite as many remasters as we’re all hoping for. My gut tells me sadly Prime 2 and 3 are not going to happen ever, while WW and TP would be easier crowd pleasers I think Nintendo would go for instead. I also don’t see F-Zero GX or Kid Icarus: Uprising happening. A wild card I’d love is a double pack of GameCube Star Fox with Adventures and Assault, as far-fetched as that is. But I’m thinking Nintendo is still going to limit themselves with just how many remasters they give us. Hope to be wrong and they spoil us rotten!

My (random) predictions:

April - Rhythm Heaven
May - Luigi's Mansion HD (shadow-drop, physical later)
June - Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
July - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
August - Metroid Prime 2 HD
September - Fire Emblem 4 Remake
October - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
November - Pokémon

I just realized I never did my own predictions for this lol. The fuzzy words are a Pyoro leak, so if you don't want the Partner Showcase spoiled don't click on the fuzzy buffer.

April: Super Mario Bros Wonder DLC

May: Endless Ocean 1+2 Remake

June: Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

July: Pikmin 4 DLC, Twilight Princess HD

August: Luigi's Mansion 2 HD

September: Fire Emblem Echoes: Genealogy of the Holy War, Metroid Prime 4

October: Mario Party Superstars 2

November: Pokemon Deep Black and Blinding White

Nothing in December lol
We get TPHD but no Wind Waker? This year sucks.

I'm expecting a lighter year but not a complete drought.

March - Peach (known)
April - Some sort of Gamecube shadowdrop based on the rumor of a Direct this month
May - DLC Month: Pikmin 4 / Mario Wonder
June - TTYD
July - Fire Emblem Echoes: FE 4 Remake
August - I dunno... something Kirby maybe?
September - Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
October - Something 2D Metroid from MercurySteam
November - Pokemon
December - lol

So at this point, the first ~5 months are set.

Another Code: Recollection- January 19th
Mario vs Donkey Kong- February 16th
Splatoon 3 DLC: Side Order- February 22nd
Princess Peach: Showtime!- March 22nd
Endless Ocean: Luminous- May 2nd

Luigi's Mansion 2 HD- Summer 2024
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door HD- 2024
Metroid Prime 4- TBD

We will probably get something else announced next week from The Pokemon Company. After that, we might be waiting until April or later for more news.

Last edited:
Very funny that until the past few days, none of us would have thought to put an Endless Ocean game on our lists LOL

Just goes to show there are still some surprises for this year, I bet ;)

So at this point, the first ~5 months are set.

Another Code: Recollection- January 19th
Mario vs Donkey Kong- February 16th
Splatoon 3 DLC: Side Order- February 22nd
Princess Peach: Showtime!- March 22nd
Endless Ocean: Luminous- May 2nd

Luigi's Mansion 2 HD- 2024
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door HD- 2024
Metroid Prime 4- TBD

We will probably get something else announced next week from The Pokemon Company. After that, we might be waiting until April or later for more news.

There's still room for Fire Emblem 4 and Pokemon :)

And Nintendo has already said that Luigi's Mansion 2 HD will be released in summer 2024

Last edited:
The fact that pokémon is 2025 gives me confidence the Switch will be supported with first-caliber titles, both first, second and third, well into 2025. Which I think is the right thing to do.

After the Pokemon news, I think the only remaining titles that have been previously announced or heavily-rumored are:
  • Paper Mario TTYD, which seems more likely for summer.
  • FE4 remake
  • Zelda WW/TP ports
  • Metroid Prime 4, which I think is more likely for simultaneous release on Switch 2, so maybe 2025 then.
So between FE4 remake and Zelda ports, I think FE4 would make the bigger splash since it feels more closely to be a new game, so that's my guess as the big holiday release.

If it is a March release a late 2023 Switch release would absolutely be coming out with the succ already known. There could well be cross gen game released for late 23 with a known upgrade on the Switch 2

Could explain the June timing of a potential Switch 2 reveal as some launch window games could be Switch's big holiday release as well

Fixing my predictions:

April - nothing
May - Luigi's Mansion 2 HD (NLG) Endless Ocean Luminous (Arika)
June - Nintendo Direct Maker (EPD 10); Luigi's Mansion 2 HD (NLG)
July - Paper Mario Please Stop Asking For This Edition (Intelligent Systems)
August - nothing
September - DOOMposting (EPD 5 x idSoftware cross-platform game with Xbox)
October - Metroid Prime Fore (Camelot Software Planning)
November - Pokemon Scarlet 2 and Pokemon Violet 2 (Game Freak) Tomodachi Party (EPD 7 x Ndcube)
December - nothing

I get to cheat a bit since I didn't make any of these lists before the direct and pokemon announcements.

April: nothing
May: Endless Ocean
June: Paper Mario TTYD
July: Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
August: nothing
September: Fire Emblem 4 remake
October: Metroid Prime 4
November: Mario Party, Zelda Wind Waker HD
December: nothing

I think their next direct will give us the full picture. I need to remind myself that we didn't know about Mario Wonder or Mario RPG remake until June last year, so there's still plenty of time to put some things in the second half of the year. I don't expect a great year, but I also don't expect them to do literally nothing.

April: Metroid Prime rime HD 2 ( Nintendo Direct shadowdrop)
May: Endless Ocean
June: FE4 remake
July: LM2HD or Wind Waker HD
August: Metroid Prime 3 HD
September: Arlo HD
October: WWHD or LM2HD
November: a Pokémon trick from ILCA (late announcement) or Prime 4 (announcement at the same time as the other two MP) or DKCR HD (if they need a game urgently)

Back
Top Bottom