• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Nintendo Switch worldwide sales top 139.36 million (6.90M in the last quarter)

mazi

picross pundit

hFw0qEN.png

update: forecast for the fiscal year ending in march 2024 has been revised to 15.5 million from 15 million
JZ4RQMV.png

Last edited:
Wow, already near 140 million. So Q3 holiday sold around 7 million. Not bad sales for 7th holiday 💪

The hardware forecast was updated from 15M to 15.5M. Very unsurprising. Almost like Nintendo was comfortably locked in on holiday sales and wasn't nervously worrying about them cratering if they made a wrong move.

God almighty Mario Kart 8 with over 60 million copies. I just cannot fathom that.

Edit: my prediction (somewhere on here) of TOTK not hitting 25 million may come true, sadly.

Even if the new system gets announced and released this year. Nintendo probably will still sell a decent amount of Switch systems. Especially if there is a lot of cross-gen titles and Nintendo starts to discount the systems to clear the shelves for the successor.
Going to be interesting to see what the final numbers ends up when the dust settles.

I had a feeling it wouldn't hit 140 mil by the end of 2023. It IS the last full year of the Switch after all, saturation has hit somewhat.

....but it doesn't matter because when this fiscal year is said and done it'll be over that number.

Switch era has been a really fun time.

Last edited:
I think another 20 million life time for this system is not impossible even with a new system out, if Nintendo doesn't stop producing them.

So I guess PS2/DS numbers are possible then. Won’t lie, I genuinely didn‘t believe there was ever a shot at that. All that…without a price drop

pretty sure it's already over 140 with Japan January alone

edit: I'm dumb and misread

Last edited:
With Nintendo upping their estimates and the Fiscal year ending in March, this makes me feel like they are not going to announce anything to impede this from happening anytime soon :(

Again, I hope it eventually ends up at an unclear estimation of 158 million like PS2 and we just never end up knowing who is higher.

Being the third best selling system of all time is still an amazing feat, but I feel the story is far from concluded. A price drop, a couple more key titles and keeping them in full production for another holiday season - I could potentially see this getting super close to making history.

maybe they should delay get the switch 2 out in 2025 and make sure switch beats PS2

Quoted by: Ab
With Nintendo upping their estimates and the Fiscal year ending in March, this makes me feel like they are not going to announce anything to impede this from happening anytime soon :(
They’re not going to wait until momentum flatlines before announcing a successor

That what I say. Nintendo surely want a grand prize cross PS2's 155 million sales because it's so close. Reduce Switch 1 price will do wonder

Keep in mind we don't know for 100% certain the next console is releasing this year. It could release early next year. If they have a whole year worth of just switch 1 and a price cut it'll pass the mark easily imo.

Great numbers but I don't think Nintendo will lower the price of the original Switch just to pass some number, feels like they're fine with things as is.

Maybe they will not lower anything to keep the worth of their property even higher and continue that trend in the next generation.

Nintendo console sales in particular tend to crater after they announce a successor, but this is almost historically because software support dries up well before the next console is released

Switch is in unprecedented territory where it is still getting ample releases. If they match it up right, and also have some heavy hitters be cross gen then it could pass DS/PS2 which is wild

I still think it will fall short but I never expected it to do this well in the first place

Great numbers but I don't think Nintendo will lower the price of the original Switch just to pass some number, feels like they're fine with things as is.

Maybe they will not lower anything to keep the worth of their property even higher and continue that trend in the next generation.
And if they lower the price it will make the Switch 2 look more expensive.

I think another 20 million life time for this system is not impossible even with a new system out, if Nintendo doesn't stop producing them.
Yeah if there's a concise cross gen strategy for the next 2 years or so, especially if the successor console is supply constrained, then I don't see any reason why it can't make that final 15-20 million over that time. Who'd have thunk it?

So it’s potentially hit 140m since then right? Man, what a console, I’m pleased it’s done so well as I like the hybrid nature of the device.

16 million away from the record! I can see the path to victory: all they have to do is sell 11M in FY25 and 5M in FY26. Very double given they're on track to sell 15.5M in FY24. As long as they give Switch decent support for another year (hurry up and announce FE4R!), they should make it. And they still have the price cut card in their back pocket to seal the deal and ensure it continues to sell even after the successor is announced.

Frankly if they cut it to $200 I'd buy another just to dock elsewhere and use as a Ring Fit machine 90% of the time. terrible I know.

Wow, reaching the title of best selling system ever could be in sight.

Now I want to know if the Switch 2 will have backwards compatibility or not. Maybe Nintendo can push some more Switches if they commit to releasing games for it even while the successor is out.

Games will continue to hit the Switch for years. Not only Nintendo first party, but indie devs will support the system for a long time still.

Back
Top Bottom