• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Nintendo Switch worldwide sales top 139.36 million (6.90M in the last quarter)

Beating the PS2 will require a price cut, methinks, but otherwise this is the strongest shot to surpass it. If Switch can't beat the PS2, it'll either never happen or something else will in 20-30 years.

Nintendo's earnings report for the 3rd quarter of the fiscal year ending March 31st 2024 has been published, this covers the three month period from October 1st to December 31st 2023. Nintendo shipped 6.90 million units of Switch hardware and 66.87 million units of Switch software bringing lifetime totals to 139.36 million for hardware and 1200.10 million for software.

Year over year quarter 3 hardware sales are 16.06% (1.32 million) down from 8.22 million and software sales are 12.83% (9.84 million) down from 76.71 million.

Seven titles sold over 1 million units this quarter, these were new releases Super Mario Bros. Wonder (11.96 million), Super Mario RPG (3.14 million) plus Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (3.57 million), Nintendo Switch Sports (1.71 million) Animal crossing: New Horizons (1.41 million), Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (1.23 million) and Pokemon Scarlet & Violet (1.13 million).

Nintendo have increased their shipment forecast from 15 million units of hardware to 15.5 million and have also increased their software shipment forecast from 185 million units to 190 million for the fiscal year ending March 31st 2024.

Hardware

Switch Hardware Q3:
6.90m
Regional Split Q3: Japan 1.56m, Americas 2.82m, Europe 1.99m, Other 530k
Model Variants Q3: Standard 2.15m, Lite 1.27m, Oled 3.48m

Switch Hardware Total: 139.36m
Regional Split Total: Japan 33.33m, Americas 53.85m, Europe 36.14m, Other 16.04m
Model Variants Total: Standard 92.98m, Lite 23.19m, Oled 23.19m

Global Shipment History

IN3dztQ.png

Software

Switch Software Q3:
66.87m
Regional Split Q3: Japan 15.21m, Americas 26.38m, Europe 20.73m, Other 4.55m
Tie Ratio Q3: 9.69

Switch Software Total: 1200.10m
Regional Split Total: Japan 232.73m, Americas 524.77m, Europe 348.61m, Other 93.99m
Tie Ratio Total: 8.61

WcEiTmf.png

Last edited:
It's.... Fabulous !

And some believe that Nintendo will abruptly drop Switch once Switch 2 will be announced.

Last edited:
Pretty much at 140 million.

If the Switch continues getting supported the next 2 years I can see it passing the PS2 (which it probably will, not every game is some high-budget AAAA game).

Fucking crazy.

There's no rationale at all to revising your hardware guidance upwards and then doing a price cut. They're selling more Switches than they thought they would at the current price.

People have been saying "wow these sales are great, they should do a price cut" since 2018 and it's never made any sense.

Don’t worry, any minute now and switch sales will drop like a rock just like the Wii, then nobody will want to buy the switchU and Nintendo will be doomed.
Jokes aside switch overperforming on year 7 is incredible, probably the best final year for any console both sales wise and of course quality wise, this is Nintendo at its peak. And to think people say that nintendo needs to be struggling to be good.

Team 2025 let's gooooo

(Good result, a tad higher then I expected which I guess is reflected in them raising their forecast)

Had you said exactly 10 years ago that Nintendo would dominate the 8th generation, with a console just about approaching the PS2 and Nintendo DS in sales, they would have declared you completely insane.

You have to remember that in 2014 many people thought Nintendo had no future as a console maker. People believed that Nintendo would do better as a third-party developer for the Playstation 4 and the Xbox One. How times have changed.

Last edited:
4 Switches in this house. Great run for the console, and with no price drops.

I think a conference this year where they simultaneously announce 2witch for Fall and immediately drop the price of the entire line of Switch consoles AND announce a greatest hits lineup for their software would be the way to carry this into next gen and easily secure the record.

People are weirdly dismissive about the Switch beating the PS2 when Nintendo still has the most obvious play up their sleeve

Nintendo Switch DVD

So, let's see....

-Performance clearly superior to a Raspberry Pi 3, probably.
-Built-in storage enough for installing as many as 1-2 games
-Voice comm requiring the use of an app on your cell phone
-Paid subscription online service feature list competitive with Heat.net
-Peripheral pricing so high and bizarrely lopsided with the initial hardware bundle that it makes buying a second Switch for parts a sensible option

...that's pretty dire, but it's still a much more compelling product than the Wii U at first reveal, simply by virtue of being a handheld. Might be somewhat more successful than the Wii U since it's not trying to leverage a poorly thought out archaic tablet as a unique selling point this time, but the cost of ownership is looking astronomically high. It's arguably higher than the major console competition, given the peripheral pricing, anemic built-in storage, low value paid online, etc., so it's abandoning a lot of the appeal that would otherwise come with being a handheld.

Handheld form factor and performance, but with $60 game pricing, paid online, tiny storage, and obscene peripheral costs. Worst of both worlds, arguably, and the mediocre mobile SoC isn't going to do it any favors when people hook it up to their living room setups. I seriously doubt I'll want to stretch out Switch games onto my 75" 4K HDR TV.

Not exactly situated to take the market by storm with all that and a very thin launch lineup. Not something that's easy to root for as a consumer, either, since Nintendo loaded up on anti-consumer business decisions here. It's telling that first shipment pre-orders are still available.

No.

I did not expect such high figures. I would like them to release a Peach model in March and announce it at the next Direct. That would be a nice way to close the loop.

It’s impressive, honestly. And so deserved. The Switch is really a special console, with special games, which all seem to be creative achievements for their respective franchises, with a Mario Odyssey that literally explains in song that Nintendo is playing its last chance with the Switch.

It’s such a great story, this success. I don’t think the Switch 2 is going to be that good, because the circumstances are unique. That’s why symbolically, the record would be cool.

I still don’t think Nintendo will catch up with PS2 and DS. Even if they manage to reach something like 145 million units sold by December 31, 2024, selling more than 10 million consoles afterwards just seems too difficult.

I used to think so, but now that it's at 140mi at the beginning of the year even, I'm sure it doesn't need a price cut to beat the ps2.
Just think guys, if switch 2 is announced only later this year, it could easily sell about ~5-6 million units until November. And once christmas drops, that's another easy 5-6 million minimum. And then it hits 150 by the end of 2024. And from there, it's an easy path to 156-157mi.

So, let's see....

-Peripheral pricing so high and bizarrely lopsided with the initial hardware bundle that it makes buying a second Switch for parts a sensible option

...that's pretty dire, but it's still a much more compelling product than the Wii U at first reveal, simply by virtue of being a handheld. Might be somewhat more successful than the Wii U since it's not trying to leverage a poorly thought out archaic tablet as a unique selling point this time, but the cost of ownership is looking astronomically high. It's arguably higher than the major console competition, given the peripheral pricing, anemic built-in storage, low value paid online, etc., so it's abandoning a lot of the appeal that would otherwise come with being a handheld.

Handheld form factor and performance, but with $60 game pricing, paid online, tiny storage, and obscene peripheral costs. Worst of both worlds, arguably, and the mediocre mobile SoC isn't going to do it any favors when people hook it up to their living room setups. I seriously doubt I'll want to stretch out Switch games onto my 75" 4K HDR TV.

Not exactly situated to take the market by storm with all that and a very thin launch lineup. Not something that's easy to root for as a consumer, either, since Nintendo loaded up on anti-consumer business decisions here. It's telling that first shipment pre-orders are still available.

No.

It does not read as sarcastic as you think.

I did not expect such high figures. I would like them to release a Peach model in March and announce it at the next Direct. That would be a nice way to close the loop.

It’s impressive, honestly. And so deserved. The Switch is really a special console, with special games, which all seem to be creative achievements for their respective franchises, with a Mario Odyssey that literally explains in song that Nintendo is playing its last chance with the Switch.

It’s such a great story, this success. I don’t think the Switch 2 is going to be that good, because the circumstances are unique. That’s why symbolically, the record would be cool.

I still don’t think Nintendo will catch up with PS2 and DS. Even if they manage to reach something like 145 million units sold by December 31, 2024, selling more than 10 million consoles afterwards just seems too difficult.
For the switch to sell only 5mil units in 2024 after selling over 16mil units in 2023 it would need a huge catastrophe that destroys every single production line of the switch, it’s a drop that’s pretty much impossible, switch will probably sell double that number this year putting it at 150mil units at worst for march 2025, after that we’ll see how impactful the next switch will be, reminder that the 3ds sold 10mil units post switch release.

I always predicted Switch will achieve insane success. But with just 3 (Switch, Lite, OLED) SKU's? Yeah, I didn't predict that. 3DS got where it last was with a record number of 6 SKU's (3DS, XL, 2DS, N3DS, N3DSXL, N2DSXL) but Switch doing almost double of them with half the SKU's? Truly remarkable.

Still, Switch still has some juice in it. Nintendo may want to give already Switch owners some extra incentive to replace with one final SKU. That would be guaranteed 155m in sales.

I love to see Nintendo thrive. On to the switch 2.

For the switch to sell only 5mil units in 2024 after selling over 16mil units in 2023 it would need a huge catastrophe that destroys every single production line of the switch, it’s a drop that’s pretty much impossible, switch will probably sell double that number this year putting it at 150mil units at worst for march 2025, after that we’ll see how impactful the next switch will be, reminder that the 3ds sold 10mil units post switch release.
The overall figure wouldn’t be 5 million units, because you obviously have to add the sales of Switch 2. I think it would be much more catastrophic for Nintendo to sell, say, 10 million Switch 1 and 5 million Switch 2 than the opposite.

I understand your comparison with the 3DS, but for me the situation is different. If there is no shortage of Switch 2 and if there is no drop in the price of the Switch 1 like the 3DS benefited, I think that Switch 1 sales will slow down much faster. But I will be absolutely delighted to be wrong.

Another important factor in my opinion will be the price of the Switch 2, in a period of inflation that is difficult for everyone. But personally I can’t imagine Nintendo opting for a launch price higher than $400.

The overall figure wouldn’t be 5 million units, because you obviously have to add the sales of Switch 2. I think it would be much more catastrophic for Nintendo to sell, say, 10 million Switch 1 and 5 million Switch 2 than the opposite.

I understand your comparison with the 3DS, but for me the situation is different. If there is no shortage of Switch 2 and if there is no drop in the price of the Switch 1 like the 3DS benefited, I think that Switch 1 sales will slow down much faster. But I will be absolutely delighted to be wrong.

Another important factor in my opinion will be the price of the Switch 2, in a period of inflation that is difficult for everyone. But personally I can’t imagine Nintendo opting for a launch price higher than $400.
I get what you’re saying but I don’t expect the next switch to release before September/october 2024, that leaves the switch with 9 months all by themselves, and even with the switch 2 the original switch won’t sell 0 copies in the holidays, especially if there’s a new pokemon game that will probably be crossgen. I still expect switch to be at 150 by march 2025 with the next switch selling 10mil in the same timespan.

I hope you’re right, because the console really deserves to get that record. And it’s true that they still have a Pokémon game to boost the end of the year. Not to mention the people who have pre-ordered Metroid Prime 4 since 1997.

It would be interesting to know for example how many people have actually played Pokémon Black and White 2 on their 3DS and not on their DS, taking advantage of backward compatibility.

Even if it doesn't beat the PS2, it got all the way here without a single meaningful price drop. How in the fuck does Switch have that kind of reach at this price? It still baffles me to this day.

Outselling the ps2 is really a non factor, if we go by profits the switch years from 2018 to 2023 have generated more profits than the entire videogame division of sony have generated lifetime. The switch is the most succesfull console ever made with or without outselling the ps2 and that's a fact.

So 142M when they reach the end of March. Next FY they can do 10M to 12M through March 2025, putting the sales at 152M. It will be on the market until March 2027, even with a drop to 5M through March 2026, they would be at 157M without a price drop. I still think 160M is possible.

revising up an extra half milli is quite a gangster move, i must say.
I feel like anything around 1 mil and under is par for course for Nintendos conversatism

So this was probably not a huge surprise nor will it change their plans. Hardware sales are still down compared to same time last year.

I feel like anything around 1 mil and under is par for course for Nintendos conversatism

So this was probably not a huge surprise nor will it change their plans. Hardware sales are still down compared to same time last year.
i think it's more so interesting when compared to their original feelings about their 15 million forecast being a stretch goal. now revising their stretch goal up is what is gangster.

i don't think (and would hope, anyway) that this doesn't really change anything, either. just icing on the cake.

Huh? I saw people dooming that Nintendo would fail to meet their forecast so I thought it was a done deal, but they're actually increasing it? lol

I can see it selling the 15 million they need to break the record, they still have most of this year to sell Switches which should get them close, and then a price cut and people looking for a cheaper option should get the job done when Switch 2 releases.

Huh? I saw people dooming that Nintendo would fail to meet their forecast so I thought it was a done deal, but they're actually increasing it? lol
All this on the sole basis of partial figures, over a single month, and only on the North American physical market.

Even if the new system gets announced and released this year. Nintendo probably will still sell a decent amount of Switch systems. Especially if there is a lot of cross-gen titles and Nintendo starts to discount the systems to clear the shelves for the successor.
Going to be interesting to see what the final numbers ends up when the dust settles.
Yea, the system has a crazy good library on its own at this point. That, a price drop (even if it's on the OG/Lite models), and the re-introduction of Nintendo Selects would make the current iteration a really good bargain / entry point to the ecosystem. Or hey, it opens up the possibility for people to pick a second one up for cheap.

This is also where Nintendo marketing towards families really pays off for them too. People are always having kids. Getting the Lite down into the $99-150 range with a bundled Evergreen title would be an excellent "kid's first video game system" type gift. That's a significantly lower risk to families than splashing $400 on the latest and greatest tech. And that's far far cheaper (and probably more durable) than say an iPad Mini or comparable Android tablet.

I can see it selling the 15 million they need to break the record, they still have most of this year to sell Switches which should get them close, and then a price cut and people looking for a cheaper option should get the job done when Switch 2 releases.
Some people are trying to manifest a swift death for the Switch because they think it'll force Nintendo's hand and make them announce the Switch 2.

So, let's see....

No.

Well done, I almost forgot about this type of post lol.

Is it just me or did people artificially increase PS2 sales figures over time?
Like, I remember a couple years back it being 155-156 million, now I'm hearing 158million for some reason.
The last number by sony is 155mil because after that they started to combine the yearly sales of the ps2 to the ps3. So everything after that is a bit murky, we know that it’s in the 158-161 mil range but without official numbers we can’t know for sure. I guess the best positive if the Nintendo switch sells 155+mil units is that maybe sony will finally clarify the final tally of the ps2

Just imagine, more than ¼ of all Software ever sold on Nintendo Platforms was on the Switch.

It does not read as sarcastic as you think.
It's a copy-paste of a post following the January 2017 presentation from another forum. It's a genuine post being satirically reposted, which is why it doesn't read sarcastically.

Like, I remember a couple years back it being 155-156 million, now I'm hearing 158million for some reason.
I also don't understand. If they increase PS2 sales by 3/4 million, DS also increase the same. So by their standard, PS2 at 158M so DS at 157M 😂

Original model Switch had a pretty big holiday boost. It overtaking DS Lite as the all-time #1 Nintendo hardware model appears plausible.
cC602Jn.png

pTxPUd7.png

They stopped counting at 155 million and then discontinued a few months later. Given how much it had been slowing down in the previous year I'm not a 158 believer, but opinions vary.
I just don't think it will, especially if its more expensive than the switch.
Nintendo's forecast for next financial year will be telling.
One of 3DS's early albatrosses was that it was too expensive. Didn't keep DS moving. NES and GBA are about the only times a significant amount of hardware was pushed after the next thing, but really there's not a lot of recent precedent for "new Nintendo system arriving while old one hasn't already dwindled", so I wouldn't feel too safe betting either way.

They stopped counting at 155 million and then discontinued a few months later. Given how much it had been slowing down in the previous year I'm not a 158 believer, but opinions vary.
From 5 years ago:

In the end, the Switch will probably reach 155M at some point in 2025, you may see articles claiming it has beaten the PS2 record, BUT I hope more reporters ask Sony what is PS2 (and PS3) final number.

An old theory is that Sony never did a PR for 160M like when they reached 150M, so I think most sales enthusiasts think PS2 final tally is between 157-159M 👀

I just hope Switch does not finish at 158M and we get endless debates :D

Back
Top Bottom