• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Reviews Nintendo Switch Sports | Review Thread

mazi

picross pundit
Metacritic (72)
OpenCritic (71)

Polygon (no score)
Nintendo Switch Sports targets this audience, from the retired to the new parents, nostalgic for a type of gaming experience that hasn’t quite been recreated since. These are the final generations widely unfamiliar with modern video game controllers. And for Nintendo, that audience may be more than enough. That said, I do hope younger folks give this game a shot. I think they might once the game’s online mode is available, a place where people under the age of 35 are far more likely to play games. Until I can try those features, though, I’m happy to think of this as Nintendo’s love letter to the old and the old at heart. The company took over a decade to make the game, but maybe they were waiting for folks like me to age into it.

CNET (no score)
While Switch Sports isn't nearly as accurate or as visceral as sports games in VR, it has something VR still lacks: A way to play with my family in the same room together. Those moments, as silly and random as they are, are worth the effort.

Console Creatures (recommended):
Nintendo Switch Sports offers some great moments and is an entertaining follow-up that will not only whet the appetite of Wii Sports fans but also anyone who enjoys gaming with their friends.

Dexerto (8.5/10):
Nintendo Switch Sports does the impossible — it builds on Wii Sports in clever ways, creating a new version for a new generation while also breathing life into dormant rivalries over a decade on. It’s a great showpiece for the Switch, and is easily one of the platform’s finest games — if you have friends to play it with.

God is a Geek (8.5/10):
Nintendo Switch Sports is all about multiplayer action. With more to come in the future, it truly is excellent to have Sports back for the latest generation of Nintendo console.

Stevivor (8.5/10):
Those looking to rekindle a family gaming session akin to ones enjoyed in the past with Wii Sports will find this a sure winner.

Hobby Consolas (82/100, review in Spanish)
Its simple and direct formula still works as a charm and the selection of sports is attractive. It's ideal for a quick multiplayer fun at home, although the concept is not as groundbreaking as it was 16 years ago.

Jeuxvideo.com (16/20, review in French):
Nintendo Switch Sports is probably the new must-have for family gaming. The formula works with all player profiles. The experience is fun and accessible from top to bottom despite the small flaws it can't escape: split screens that make certain actions difficult to read, slight framerate drops, lack of precision and unbalanced sprints in football games. But the fun remains constant and Nintendo Switch Sports serves up a varied sports program that will appeal to the whole family and that we can't wait to see expand in the coming months.

GAMES.CH (80%, review in German):
Nintendo Switch Sports is not a series revolution, although there is a special, partly Rocket-League-like new football mode. But the game does not need to be a revolution. It is just an entertaining sports and party game, with a lovely presentation that's a pleasure to play, even alone, but especially together with friends.

The Enemy (4/5, review in Portuguese):
Overall, the experience with Switch Sports is extremely positive and fulfills its role very well: meeting and having fun with friends and family - something that has really been missing up until now on Nintendo Switch after all its existence. And, despite having other games with the same purpose like Smash Bros., Mario Kart and Mario Party, none of them are equally accessible to people who aren't video game fans. That's why Nintendo Switch Sports is amazing and necessary nowadays.

Inverse (8/10):
Intuitive, responsive motion controls successfully recapture the easygoing magic of the Wii’s heyday, and will likely make Switch Sports a family game night staple and chart-topper for years to come.

Screen Rant (4/5):
There's some valid criticisms to be made over the shallow game roster and even shallower character customization, but at its core, Nintendo Switch Sports is an absolute blast and is simple enough for anyone who wants to give it a try.

Shacknews (8/10):
As an offline package, Nintendo Switch Sports is a hoot just for Bowling and Chambara alone. The other games are worth trying at least once. Volleyball might even grow on some people. Unfortunately, Badminton, Tennis, and Soccer lost steam with me after a while, but half a package that I'll return to again and again is certainly nothing to sneeze at. I hope this is a collection that will continue to grow, because I had forgotten what a crowd-pleaser the Wii Sports era was. It's good to have that spirit back.

Areajugones (8/10, review in Spanish):
Nintendo Switch Sports is a game that arrives in a situation of need: two years after a pandemic that led us to isolation, Nintendo brings us something that encourages us to connect with others again. I will continue to play it until my body takes it... or until my friends get tired of me after taking the game with me everywhere.

PC Games (8/10, review in German):
Nintendo Switch Sports has a few flaws, but overall it’s just as fun as the version we probably all played when we were younger. Especially soccer was a nice addition while badminton is rather disappointing.

Video Chums (7.6/10):
Nintendo Switch Sports is a worthy successor to Wii Sports. With lovely new character models, a solid collection of sports, plenty of multiplayer modes, and a fun-filled atmosphere, you'll enjoy competing with chums and chums-to-be alike.

DoubleXP (8/10):
Nintendo Switch Sports is definitely another amazing game to hit the Switch’s vast library — even though it might leave some people still hoping for more.

VGC (4/5):
Nintendo Switch Sports really is a game of two halves. Offline the game is sorely lacking in features but may still be enough for 'casual' families looking for some simple fun. Solo players, however, will want to head online, which is where the game's progression system (and its real longevity) can be found.

Nintendo World Report (8/10):
Overall, Nintendo Switch Sports is an enjoyable return to the classic Wii Sports style that is incredibly fun to play both online and off, even if it does leave a little bit to be desired.

GamesRadar (4/5):
A well-thought-out online mode lifts Nintendo Switch Sports from being a sheer nostalgia trip, to an experience well worth the investment.

Vandal (8/10, review in Spanish):
One of the biggest party games ever made is back with a solid new entry, that does improve things, but focuses more on the online modes.

GamePro Germany (75%, review in German):
Nintendo Switch Sports skillfully brings back Wii Sports for the whole family, but also misses out on old sports.

Gamer.nl (7.5/10, review in Dutch):
Gameplay-technically, Nintendo Switch Sports makes a big impression; especially the subtle adjustments in the recurring sports feel refreshing. In addition, badminton and football are excellent additions that would not have looked out of place in the acclaimed original. The total package still feels a bit bare, so that you get bored of the less fun sports a little too quickly.

Player 2 (7.5/10):
Stay tuned for more in the coming days as I report in once again having spent some time with the game’s online functionality, and character customisation. There's a lot to like so far, but with these elements currently locked down, a final verdict cannot be yet rendered.

Game Informer (7.5/10):
A seemingly endless supply of rotating collectible packs and skill-based intensity makes the game’s online multiplayer dynamic. Even classic sports like Bowling and Chambara are improved with elimination rulesets and charge/twin swords, respectively. However, after a few fun-filled hours, I experienced all of Switch Sports’ playable components and occasionally lost interest after long stints of game time. Switch Sports doesn’t step out of Wii Sports’ long shadow, but it’s still a solid runner-up.

Press Start Australia (7.5/10):
Nintendo Switch Sports feels familiar, yet still remains fun after all these years, especially when played with groups of friends. Whilst the offline offering is a little bit basic, what's on offer online will take advantage of the easy to play, hard to masters gameplay mechanics.

CGMagazine (7/10):
Switch Sports is a solid multiplayer game that is fun to play, even if there is a limited number of sports and game modes to engage with.

IGN (7/10):
Nintendo Switch Sports, like Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort before it, is best played as a party game, broken out for any gathering that needs a quick injection of goofy, active fun. While its sparse mixture of old and new sports varies in quality, Switch Sports largely sticks the landing on what made its predecessors memorable: intuitive motion controls, the ability to effortlessly get a group of people up and moving, and some killer menu music that’s liable to get stuck in your head all day. Just don’t expect to spend a whole lot of time with it before the novelty wears off.

GAMINGbible (7/10):
Overall Nintendo Switch Sports brings forward a fun, first-rate, much-loved Wii series to the Switch console. Classics such as bowling and chambara can now be enjoyed by newcomers, while long-time fans of the series can relish new additions to said classics - for example, special bowling - as well as new mini games. Time will tell if the update brings another level to the game, and whether DLC additions will make the roster of events more attractive (golf is due, post-release); but right now, Nintendo Switch Sports is a lively reinvention of a Wii-era essential.

Digitally Downloaded (3.5/5):
Nintendo Switch Sports is well-made, with the gorgeous, “lifestyle” aesthetics that have always been characteristic of this series. The motion controls work well, and in local multiplayer it is good fun, as Wii Sports was 16 years ago. However, it lacks the zeitgeist quality that Wii Sports had, and I just can’t see this resonating to anywhere near the same degree. I don’t think there’s any scenario where Nintendo could recapture the magic that made Wii Sports such a mass culture phenomenon, and as well as Nintendo Switch Sports is made, it doesn’t get there.

Comicbook.com (3.5/5):
Nintendo Switch Sports shows that Nintendo still does motion control multiplayer games better than any other company, but a few different decisions would have made it a much easier recommendation.

Digital Trends (3.5/5):
Nintendo Switch Sports is exactly what it needs to be. It’s an intuitive package of Wii-era sports minigames with more precise motion controls and full online integration. Addictive activities like bowling and badminton make it one of the Switch’s best multiplayer party games, though overly complicated minigames like soccer miss the simple appeal of the series. With long-term support planned, I’m hopeful that Nintendo can build up the currently thin offering and turn it into the kind of console staple that any Switch owner needs to have installed.

Gfinity (7/10):
Nintendo Switch Sports is an admirable attempt to fill the void left by the Wii Sports series, but a lack of offline progression and small selection of sports means it doesn't quite reach those heights.

PCMag (3.5/5):
Enjoy casual spins on popular sports, such as soccer and tennis, in this motion-controlled game collection for the Nintendo Switch. Although volleyball and a few other new additions feature disappointing controls, returning fan favorites showcase just how exciting it is to move your body while playing a video game.

TheGamer (3.5/5):
If you've been missing playing Bowling and Tennis in your living room, and are keen to add Football and Badminton to your repertoire, then Switch Sports is the game for you. If you're hoping for a modernisation of everything Wii Sports had to offer, you won't find it here. Switch Sports is the Gerrard slip made video cartridge - so close to greatness, yet so far.

COGconnected (70/100):
All of these games are great in short bursts. It's only over repeated play sessions that they start to falter. To that end, your enjoyment is tied to your playstyle. Will you bust out Nintendo Switch Sports whenever friends drop by or log on? Perfect. You'll get months of use out of this game. But if you lean too hard on these activities all at once, you'll be burnt out in a couple of days. On the other hand, if you've been pining for a return to the glory days of Wii Sports, this game is perfect for you. You can even use the old-school Miis instead of the fancier character templates. Just remember to keep your living room clear of obstacles. All of this swinging around is dangerous, after all.

The Independent (7/10):
Nintendo Switch Sports is a strong continuation of a tried and tested formula that will find near-universal appeal with anybody who remembers the glory days of the Nintendo Wii, or even younger audiences who will wonder what all the fuss was about 15 years ago.

Vooks (3.5/5):
Wii Sports was the king of parties, and Nintendo Switch Sports can still fill that role when played locally, but the real juicy stuff is all online-based. If you don’t care about how your Sportsmate looks or getting in the Pro Leagues, then Nintendo Switch Sports is an admirable package of sports games and still super fun. Soccer is the new stand out in the package, but the balance of games seems somewhat off with too many court-based games. If you’ve ever just wanted Wii Sports on the Switch, this’ll do it, but online is a must to get the most out of it.

Pocket Tactics (7/10):
Nintendo Switch Sports scores a few points for successfully revitalising the heart of the original Wii Sports, with impressively gorgeous graphics and wonderful online performance. I only hope it can keep up pressure in the second half, by eventually adding enough content and sports to make it feel like a full package.

My Nintendo News (7/10):
Nintendo Switch Sports succeeds in giving players another way of getting off their couch and being active in the comfort of their homes. Even though it fails to revolutionise and go much beyond the previous titles, things once again really shine when you have friends in the same room, and the online features provide a healthy amount of staying power. The small selection of sporting activities is the main thing that holds it back from being truly excellent. What we have at launch is promising, and with the addition of Golf later this year, as well as planned timed-exclusive gear to unlock in the coming months, Nintendo Switch Sports earns a modest place in the titles that get picked when you want a few laughs with friends and family, almost like what the original Wii Sports achieved 16 years ago.

Wccftech (7/10):
Nintendo Switch Sports is a fun and nostalgic romp that offers nicely-upgraded visuals and well-implemented motion controls, but there simply isn’t enough of it. With a meagre six sports (only two of which bring anything truly new to the table) and very few extras, this one probably won’t compete for your attention for long.

WellPlayed (7/10):
If all you want is more of what came before, it's here (mostly). Grab it to fill the party game shelf but don't expect it to hold your attention outside of gatherings unless you're feeling really competitive about the online stuff.

TheSixthAxis (7/10):
Nintendo Switch Sports is a fun reminder of the Wii Sports craze, bringing back some classic sports and adding some new ones that make use of the Joy-Con and motion controls in more advanced ways. It's all just a bit shallow, though, and difficult to wholeheartedly recommend unless you expect to play online a lot or constantly break it out for local head-to-head battles.

AusGamers (6/10):
As much fun as it is to see Nintendo Switch Sports bring back some of that Wii magic, that party room vibe, it’s hard not to look at this as anything but a missed opportunity. Having all progression and customisation locked to online play feels like a missed opportunity, and although we couldn’t test the online stuff during the review period it’s hard to see how the Wii Sports formula would substantially improve on the same-room formula.

Twinfinite (3/5):
Nintendo Switch Sports attempts to capture the magic of the first two games in the series. Its efforts in doing so are not bad per se, but they are extremely basic and do not build upon the previous concepts in any revolutionary way.

Nintendo Life (6/10):
Nintendo Switch Sports is a charming but barebones offering. It's not a bad game by any stretch but it lacks an awful lot of what would make for a solid recommendation. Online play is the best option on offer with unlockable customisations and a predictably broader pool of players, but its limited scope means you'll be doing the same thing time after time. Local play is hobbled by a lack of any unlockables whatsoever, and with such limited options to change up how each sport plays out, solo play is a slog.

There is fun to be had here, but it's more in the vein of the occasional 30-minute play sessions with friends than anything with major long-term appeal. If Nintendo supports the game in the future with more sports like the promised Golf, and more options to change up how things play, we could be singing a different tune six months from now. As it stands at launch, Nintendo Switch Sports is little more than just 'fine'.

Last edited:
I'm going to guess upper 70s, maybe low 80s. I think the big detractor will be only six Sports at launch. I'm hoping to get more insight on all the customization options for the avatars

High 7s or whatever that equates to.

Put me in the camp that it’s well done, but it’s gonna get knocked for not having all the sports at launch along with most of the sports being stuff we’ve seen already in past titles.

The core idea will be executed well tho for people who want to relive their Wii Bowling years.

I wanna say 69 for the lols, but I think it'll sit solidly in the mid 70s.

Not that it will matter for this type of game but I expect low to mid 70s. Probably a good 10 points lower than RFA unless they're keeping stuff under wraps which I deem unlikely.

KI3SdfC.png

NintendoLife's review in progress isn't super encouraging:

We’re hoping that as soon as the online functionality is live Nintendo Switch Sports will make a lot more sense, but as a purely local game there’s a lot to be desired to make this a worthwhile purchase. If you’re keen on simply playing some motion-controlled Wii Sports-like games on your Switch then Nintendo Switch Sports might bring you a good bit of enjoyment, but if you’re looking for something a little deeper and with a bit more variety than the game you first played on Wii, you’ll probably be left somewhat disappointed.

IGN gave it a 7

Gamespot too

Had a feeling this one wasn’t going to be too hot. As long as Bowling, Chambara, and later Golf are decent I’ll be happy enough with it.

Really hope they add Archery eventually.

Going to guess 70. One, since it launched with not all the sports included, but mostly because unless the execution of the gameplay fails, I feel this is the type of game reviewers look down upon while typing away wearing their ascot and smoking their pipe because “gaming is a serious medium” no matter how fun it may be.

The lack of single player progression is super disappointing, was hoping for something at least akin to Wii Sports Resort in that respect.

These kinds of games never review well, but I imagine switch sports will be successful in what its trying to do

I never understood how they decided to go from like a dozen sports in Resort to 6 here, while seemingly not really fleshing out any one of them to any degree. Also there's no Baseball?
I also don’t understand why they had to put it out so quickly. Golf I guess they probably intended to roll out later, but the Soccer stuff is weird.

The lack of table tennis is so disappointing to me still, that was my favourite game in resort.

Also the part of the ign review about not being able to kill your opponents in chambara because "it's nintendo after all" seemed a bit weird to me.

Going to guess 70. One, since it launched with not all the sports included, but mostly because unless the execution of the gameplay fails, I feel this is the type of game reviewers look down upon while typing away wearing their ascot and smoking their pipe because “gaming is a serious medium” no matter how fun it may be.
Come on, now...
Wii Sports Resort is the benchmark here, a content-rich follow-up to Wii Sports. If Nintendo can't keep up with their own work, too bad.

Lack of single player progression and extras is disappointing. I get that it’s basically a title meant to push the online but I would have at least hoped the local multiplayer would let people go nuts with customization and options. At least it’s priced lower.

The Metacritic score doesn't matter to me really. There's loads of fantastic games rated in the 70s. Golf Story is rated 78 and people here are bemoaning this games poor scores.

In saying that, I'll wait until they add more sports to the mix.

I never understood how they decided to go from like a dozen sports in Resort to 6 here, while seemingly not really fleshing out any one of them to any degree. Also there's no Baseball?
I don't miss Baseball (easily my least favourite of all the Sports across the series) but you're right in that it's sad to see a relatively small amount of sports on offer, especially when Volleyball and Soccer look like they might be duds from the reaction so far. Would have loved more Cycling, Archery and Canoeing for instance.

Still grabbing this for the local jollies, and also because it's super rare to see badminton in any kind of video game and there seems to be decent execution here.

Continues to lack options options options. No 4 player for soccer locally?? Nothing whatsoever for a single person. I would’ve been happy waiting until fall with Golf in there and more options.

Last edited:
Hopefully, I always have the hot take that these types of games is ehat led to the Wii U. My wish is for the market to reject them. They already rejected Labo, which was a good thing to happen.
Ring Fit is a 10M+ game already and while RF had quite a lot more content and was more unique its still the same idea of selling hardware to non-gamers.

Hopefully, I always have the hot take that these types of games is ehat led to the Wii U. My wish is for the market to reject them. They already rejected Labo, which was a good thing to happen.
Whoa. Labo was friggin cool. What do you have against Labo? Sure it’s not a game in the traditional sense, but as a creative toy, it was pretty rad.

Come on, now...
Wii Sports Resort is the benchmark here, a content-rich follow-up to Wii Sports. If Nintendo can't keep up with their own work, too bad.

I just meant, which is why I said unless the gameplay fumbles (which seems it does) this type of game would never review too hot even if it had all the content of Resort. IMO

Back
Top Bottom