• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack |ST| New 2024 Poll Up

How will Nintendo handle the NSO with the launch of the Switch 2

• Everything on the service becomes playable on launch day of the new system.

Votes: 157 77.7%
  • A slow roll out with a promise to move everything over within 12 months from launch day

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • LOL Nintendo is going to start all over with just NES games in late 2025

Votes: 18 8.9%
  • Nothing will transfer over because the Switch 2 won't be backwards compatible with the Switch 1

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
Tuesday would be a good day for some spooky SEGA games. The possibilities are endless.

Haunting (Starring Polterguy), The Ooze, Night Trap, one of the Splatter Houses... if SEGA CD and licensed games could dare be part of the NSO line-up, we could only hope and dream for Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Based on the '94 movie, based on the book, that combines adventure game logic with gaht dang fighting games.

There could simply be no better time of year to see Frankenstein's Creature beat a landlord to death.

Here's hoping we'll receive Harvest Moon 64 at the same time as Japan does after the licensing for the original SNES game was sorted. That would be my preferred December drop!

Been playing Phantasy Star IV. Never played before, but people werent kidding about the gross enemy animations. I love them.

But this is one of those games where not having an accesible manual is a giant pain. Having to remember all these poorly translated spells is nuts.

So rest of the year for the expansion pack is looking like 1080, Golden Sun, and whatever Genesis update we can get. I'm hoping that we can get both games out by the end of the year. Make 2024 a clean slate. I think we will also get one more NES/SNES/GB update

Is this the quickest expansion pack turnaround? Three days from announcement? They’re usually a week in advance

You are right. Genesis updates are normally shadow drops, but N64 and GBA games generally have a week's notice. The two exceptions were Mario Party 1/2 (two week notice) and Pokemon Stadium 2 (shadow drop during a Pokemon Direct).

I can't remember if we ever got Genesis games the same week as N64 before? I'm guessing no.

While Nintendo normally says screw patterns, traditionally we have gotten a Genesis update the week after an N64/GBA update so going by that, we should get one next Thursday/Friday, November 2nd.

I will say that I thought we were going to get it after Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, but nope.

So rest of the year for the expansion pack is looking like 1080, Golden Sun, and whatever Genesis update we can get. I'm hoping that we can get both games out by the end of the year. Make 2024 a clean slate. I think we will also get one more NES/SNES/GB update

You are right. Genesis updates are normally shadow drops, but N64 and GBA games generally have a week's notice. The two exceptions were Mario Party 1/2 (two week notice) and Pokemon Stadium 2 (shadow drop during a Pokemon Direct).

While Nintendo normally says screw patterns, traditionally we have gotten a Genesis update the week after an N64/GBA update so going by that, we should get one next Thursday/Friday, November 2nd.

I will say that I thought we were going to get it after Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, but nope.
I'm curious why you think it's Golden Sun over F Zero? Did you forget it like everyone else? Lol it's okay I think everyone forgot after F Zero 99 dropped. Although I guess it is a good reason to think Golden Sun will release first because of 99.

I'm curious why you think it's Golden Sun over F Zero? Did you forget it like everyone else? Lol it's okay I think everyone forgot after F Zero 99 dropped. Although I guess it is a good reason to think Golden Sun will release first because of 99.

OMG I keep forgetting that Nintendo promised at least one F-Zero GBA game.

We are never getting Golden Sun LMAO

I’m definitely in the minority here but I vastly prefer Genesis/Mega Drive updates to N64 updates lol

Hopefully we see some Sega love soon!
Nah, I'm with you there; I have very little nostalgia for the N64 so these updates do nothing for me. On the other hand one of my older cousins was a big Sega fan back in the day so I have fond memories of playing many Sega titles.

Could see something like

Nov - F-Zero GBA
Dec - 1080 N64
Jan - Golden Sun GBA
Feb - Harvest Moon N64

With a Feb direct giving us an updated road map for 2024.

FYI JP update confirms harvest moon, 1080 and Golden eye are all coming to Japan this year. A new roadmap when 1080 drops would not surprise
I was focused on US with that, Japan could get HM64 this year and Goldeneye February when we get HM64.

So I guess we could get 1080 in November globally, then Japan gets GoldenEye + Harvest Moon in December. (Maybe we get Harvest Moon as well or a different N64 game like Cruis'n)

Then January and February we see Maximum Velocity and Golden Sun. Add in another random GameBoy update before the end of 2023 since Japan still needs The Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls.

FYI JP update confirms harvest moon, 1080 and Golden eye are all coming to Japan this year. A new roadmap when 1080 drops would not surprise

a roadmap of what exactly

The viable N64 game list is microscopic after his wave drops unless they manage to get rare on board. Me thinks it’ll be purely GBA for EP until Switch 2 unless they maybe throw in smash or dk

Can't wait for the update to come along and for F-Zero X's framerate issues to still not be fixed.

Also I know probably nobody else cares, but I hope they add the "reproduce classic feel" option like the GB/GBA NSO apps have, to make it so games are their original 240p resolution and maybe with a CRT filter. Never liked how 2D assets looked in N64 emulators when upscaled, the filtering makes it so there's visible seams, but playing it in low res hides that.
Also, per game button mapping would be nice but I've given up on getting something WiiU VC had at this point.
This also pisses me off lol. The N64 app was nowhere close to being in a good state to launch yet they pooped it out in 2021 anyhow even though game boy would have been much easier. They fixed most of the games finally but F-Zero X still having the fucking fps issue is inexcusable in 2023

God

Just makes me hate the switch’s hardware more lmao, even though this is less due to the hardware being weak and more because the stupid NSO menu system they used will cause hitches on X for whatever reason/iQue sucks ass

Should have been NERD, man… Their GB app is so good outside of the multiplayer being non functional for s good few months now

a roadmap of what exactly

The viable N64 game list is microscopic after his wave drops unless they manage to get rare on board. Me thinks it’ll be purely GBA for EP until Switch 2 unless they maybe throw in smash or dk

This also pisses me off lol. The N64 app was nowhere close to being in a good state to launch yet they pooped it out in 2021 anyhow even though game boy would have been much easier. They fixed most of the games finally but F-Zero X still having the fucking fps issue is inexcusable in 2023

God

Just makes me hate the switch’s hardware more lmao, even though this is less due to the hardware being weak and more because the stupid NSO menu system they used will cause hitches on X for whatever reason/iQue sucks ass

Should have been NERD, man… Their GB app is so good outside of the multiplayer being non functional for s good few months now
Rare is onboard. Smash, DK64 and DKR are all on the table still. They could get Konami on board for a wave

Rare is onboard. Smash, DK64 and DKR are all on the table still. They could get Konami on board for a wave

I mean ok that’s 2 viable ones for sure and a couple of maybes if xbox wants to play along

But konami will flat out not happen without the controller pak lol: I’m convinced winback was some weird anomaly. That and Konami wont even bother with GB-A or SNES/NES when there are plenty of viable games like Life Force and Twinbee Rainbow Bell still MIA from VC.

Hear me out

StarCraft 64

A game no one is asking for, but will absolutely scratch some weird nerd's niche itch. Nintendo is buddy buddy with MS, and will not impact any real Starcraft game whatsoever

(me*; I'm the weird nerd)

I thought the multiplayer for GB has been pretty solid. Just a case by case basis, which sucks, but still, good times can be had.

I've been enjoying player 4 player Kirby with family members. And connections are pretty dang stable.

I'm really curious with how Nintendo handles the NSO in the Feb Direct. The next system will be around the corner so I'm willing to bet the house that the last thing Nintendo has planned is another NSO app/library to start up. We could get a roadmap of more GBA/64 games, but I don't think it is a certainty.

Right now, I'm preparing the mindset that 2024 will be a lighter year for NSO updates as Nintendo is working to move everything over to the Switch 2 for day 1. Wishful thinking? I hope not.

I'm really curious with how Nintendo handles the NSO in the Feb Direct. The next system will be around the corner so I'm willing to bet the house that the last thing Nintendo has planned is another NSO app/library to start up. We could get a roadmap of more GBA/64 games, but I don't think it is a certainty.

Right now, I'm preparing the mindset that 2024 will be a lighter year for NSO updates as Nintendo is working to move everything over to the Switch 2 for day 1. Wishful thinking? I hope not.
For what it’s worth: They started adding PC-Engine games to Wii U’s VC after the Switch was out.

so I’m thinking PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16 games are coming next year lmao

I mean it's probably gonna continue on the next console...unless you expect them to start all over again

I mean it's probably gonna continue on the next console...unless you expect them to start all over again
As pessimistic as it may sound, Nintendo has yet to prove they can carry legacy retro content forward in a console transition, given they still haven't been able to do so between Wii, Wii U and 3DS. I will not hold my breath until it's confirmed officially.

For what it’s worth: They started adding PC-Engine games to Wii U’s VC after the Switch was out.

so I’m thinking PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16 games are coming next year lmao
It’s perfect. They can release the dozens of Japan only games 2 years into the switch 2 life but will seemingly be able to play them in the new system and not the old one. Lots of fun games too! Finally just start with the mini console releases and add those now.

As pessimistic as it may sound, Nintendo has yet to prove they can carry legacy retro content forward in a console transition, given they still haven't been able to do so between Wii, Wii U and 3DS. I will not hold my breath until it's confirmed officially.
Hi Brofield, it’s me, your friend Doug Bowser, president of Nintendo of America. The NSO apps will work on the new console.

Thanks,
Doug

Hi Brofield, it’s me, your friend Doug Bowser, president of Nintendo of America. The NSO apps will work on the new console.

Thanks,
Doug
p507quae4to91.jpg

Ideally NSO should continue on Switch 2 as it is on Switch 1.

I mean I know datamines are never a sure thing release wise but didn't the datamine before Nintendo patched it out say 40 something N64 games and 60 something Genesis games? I'd be surprised if we get almost nothing for N64 after 1080

I think we will just get more GBA/N64 games announced. It wouldn't surprise me if even on the next platform that they use more exclusives like F-Zero 99 to drive subscriptions over retro games.

But there is still quite a bit of marquee stuff that they can announce like Metroid: Zero Mission and stuff like that - enough to make it through another year of this drip feed without throwing out new consoles.

I mean I know datamines are never a sure thing release wise but didn't the datamine before Nintendo patched it out say 40 something N64 games and 60 something Genesis games? I'd be surprised if we get almost nothing for N64 after 1080
The Original datamine put us at 39 games for the N64. The North American app currently has 25 with Mario Party 3 and 1080 on the way. There is room for more, not a ton though.

I doubt Nintendo will start over on the next system. That would lead to a lot of people canceling their subs. Or just playing the games on Switch instead of the next thing. Why would they make Switch a better place for classic games than the next thing? Why would anyone on the next thing give a shit if they could just play the games on Switch? There’s nothing for Nintendo to even gain since they can’t charge people again. The whole situation is just different from before imo.

I doubt Nintendo will start over on the next system. That would lead to a lot of people canceling their subs. Or just playing the games on Switch instead of the next thing. Why would they make Switch a better place for classic games than the next thing? Why would anyone on the next thing give a shit if they could just play the games on Switch? There’s nothing for Nintendo to even gain since they can’t charge people again. The whole situation is just different from before imo.
Agreed. They will just continue it on IMO and release them on both systems through a tied account. So basically NSO works on all platforms. It’s easy $20-50 for years if they do it that way. But also, Nintendo

I went ahead and figured out what the list probably is assuming it's specifically meant for US/PAL.

SpeculationN64USPAL.png

#4 could be:
  • Blast Corps (Assuming the list included expected Rare titles Blast Corps could have been included)
  • Bomberman 64/Hero (Depends on how willing Konami were to allow it on NSO)
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day (Same reason as Blast Corps but a lot less likely due to the M rating)
  • Cruisin' USA (was on Wii Virtual Console)

Depending on when licensing for Goldeneye was worked out, its possible that #10 is actually Jet Force Gemini, Killer Instinct Gold, or Hey You Pikachu

#18-28 could move around depending on which third party games nintendo was able to secure onto N64 NSO

#18 being Mischief Makers is with the assumption that Treasure owns the rights not Square Enix

#27 being a Puyo game is based on how many different Puyo games NSO keeps getting even untranslated JP versions on US/PAL

#28 could also be Resident Evil 2 since it would be an inferior version and some Capcom allows some games on NSO.

I have no goddamn idea what #35 could be. No first party title (or even Nintendo published third party title) fits that list. Only games that would even fit there that wouldn't be a licensing nightmare are
  • Wipeout 64
  • World Driver Championship
  • The World is Not Enough (Would require that nintendo got a deal for this around the same time they worked out the Goldeneye 64 licensing deal)
  • Worms Armageddon

I have no goddamn idea what #35 could be. No first party title (or even Nintendo published third party title) fits that list. Only games that would even fit there that wouldn't be a licensing nightmare are
  • Wipeout 64
  • World Driver Championship
  • The World is Not Enough (Would require that nintendo got a deal for this around the same time they worked out the Goldeneye 64 licensing deal)
  • Worms Armageddon
You can rule out Wipeout 64 because that series is owned by Sony now, my bet is on Worms Armageddon, there's a couple Infogrames games on SNES NSO and it'd be a good multiplayer game to have.

I'll also guess #4 would be Blast Corps, it was negotiated for 3 years ago along with Banjo-Kazooie and credited to Microsoft... for WiiU Virtual Console apparently but, yknow.

just my $0.02 but I think Super Mario RPG has a decent shot of getting released on NSO considering Link’s Awakening did.
It could happen, just not anytime soon; Link's Awakening came out on NSO (with the Game Boy app itself) a couple of years after the remake.

Here’s another thing to consider, if NSO is just continuing and will be on switch 2 in the same form, then value will need to keep being added. And a new GBA and N64 roadmaps make way too much sense. Especially if they start pulling third party gems for the latter

just my $0.02 but I think Super Mario RPG has a decent shot of getting released on NSO considering Link’s Awakening did.
Not really. The main reason is wasnt on NSO already is because Square Enix was asking more for the licensing fee than nintendo was willing to pay, likely part of the reason nintendo opted to make the remake in the first place.

Could see something like

Nov - F-Zero GBA
Dec - 1080 N64
Jan - Golden Sun GBA
Feb - Harvest Moon N64

With a Feb direct giving us an updated road map for 2024.
I will believe any lineup that has Golden Sun last of the western slated games. Because of all the confirmed games, of course Golden Sun would be last.

LA isn't legally complicated. Given there's a remake, I don't think Nintendo is going to go to the effort of appeasing Square for SMRPG.

I may be misremembering, but wasn't it already confirmed that the retro NSO library was sort of being treated like its own platform, which would carry from system to system?

Or am I conflating it with them just taking about the NSO as a whole?

I will believe any lineup that has Golden Sun last of the western slated games. Because of all the confirmed games, of course Golden Sun would be last.

LA isn't legally complicated. Given there's a remake, I don't think Nintendo is going to go to the effort of appeasing Square for SMRPG.

I may be misremembering, but wasn't it already confirmed that the retro NSO library was sort of being treated like its own platform, which would carry from system to system?

Or am I conflating it with them just taking about the NSO as a whole?
Like backwards compatibility, until it's officially confirmed and shown I assume nothing, no matter how much intention Nintendo has shown.

Not really. The main reason is wasnt on NSO already is because Square Enix was asking more for the licensing fee than nintendo was willing to pay, likely part of the reason nintendo opted to make the remake in the first place.
You’re probably right because that definitely tracks when it comes to Square Enix

The Original datamine put us at 39 games for the N64. The North American app currently has 25 with Mario Party 3 and 1080 on the way. There is room for more, not a ton though.
Is it known if that Datamine was for a US/PAL list or if it was meant to include JP only NSO games as well?

It's for games in all regions. We will be up to 30 at the end of the year, but I would absolutely not take 38 as a final count for the app either way; they can add as many games as they want after the initial batch.

Here’s another thing to consider, if NSO is just continuing and will be on switch 2 in the same form, then value will need to keep being added. And a new GBA and N64 roadmaps make way too much sense. Especially if they start pulling third party gems for the latter

I'm not convinced that we will get another roadmap next year for expansion pack games. There will be updates, sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if most of the updates were surprises.

I feel like if we were going to get a new roadmap it would have been this month to entice resubs. Think we're going in blind after the known games are released.

You can rule out Wipeout 64 because that series is owned by Sony now, my bet is on Worms Armageddon, there's a couple Infogrames games on SNES NSO and it'd be a good multiplayer game to have.

I'll also guess #4 would be Blast Corps, it was negotiated for 3 years ago along with Banjo-Kazooie and credited to Microsoft... for WiiU Virtual Console apparently but, yknow.

You're probably right about Wipeout but it should be noted that Sony has already released a first party title on the Switch with MLB The Show 2023.

It's unlikely to change much. The NSO apps are made in a very hardware agnostic way.

Back
Top Bottom