• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack |ST| New 2024 Poll Up

How will Nintendo handle the NSO with the launch of the Switch 2

• Everything on the service becomes playable on launch day of the new system.

Votes: 148 76.7%
  • A slow roll out with a promise to move everything over within 12 months from launch day

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • LOL Nintendo is going to start all over with just NES games in late 2025

Votes: 18 9.3%
  • Nothing will transfer over because the Switch 2 won't be backwards compatible with the Switch 1

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
I imagine Smash is held back, like Donkey Kong 64, because it means Nintendo have a couple of guaranteed high profile games as N64 enters year 3 of the rollout. It's difficult to see where they get many more releases from - Microsoft and Rare are the most obvious source of games out of the companies on N64 so far and without further support from them it's slim pickings. DK64 should be easy and would be Nintendo-published; I think Diddy Kong Racing and Banjo Tooie are the other potential Rare titles that make it over. Even if Nintendo got some support from Square, Konami and Capcom, the N64 support wouldn't really increase all that much. Mega Man 64 would be a good get, though, I'd love to see Mischief Makers and Mystical Ninja make the cut. Also difficult to see Castlevania 64 getting a re-release outside of NSO.

Including GBA, Nintendo have seven titles confirmed for international release across N64 and GBA - eight if Harvest Moon 64 is on the cards. Either way, a single game a month from that selection takes us up to a possible February Direct and a new roadmap for 2024.
Konami is actually a big one if they can get it. When you add in Hudsonsoft stuff it’s a dozen pretty solid games. Snowboard kids 1/2 should be on the table, flying dragons and Fighters destiny 1/2 as well going off loose stuff from supporting devs

Konami is actually a big one if they can get it. When you add in Hudsonsoft stuff it’s a dozen pretty solid games. Snowboard kids 1/2 should be on the table, flying dragons and Fighters destiny 1/2 as well going off loose stuff from supporting devs
Ah of course - I forgot how many options there are through Hudson. Getting Konami on board with NSO would also be great news for GBA, GB, and SNES, too (and for PC-Engine NSO...).

You know, with how generous Disney has been lately with regards to Star Wars and video games, I bet there’s a non-zero chance some Star Wars N64 games could pop up
If Disney ever get on NSO train, they should start with Capcom stuff first. DuckTales, Chip n Dale, Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop, Bonkers, The Little Mermaid, Mickey Magic trilogy... Will they? Absolutely not.

hey let me throw out a monumentally bonkers idea
will this happen? almost certainly not but let me play for a min

OK so it’s September. Direct Time.

Koizumi comes out and is like

“As you may already know, we’ve been making games originally released for the Game Boy Advance system available to subscribers of Nintendo Switch Online plus Expansion Pack. The Game Boy Advance was home to many classic games, so we’re proud to be able to allow players to play these games on the Nintendo Switch system. However, there’s one Game Boy Advance game that many people wanted to play, but was never released outside of Japan. Please, take a look.” [motions towards camera] [screen goes black]

title card fades up saying “Earthbound 2”
pause for applause. Koizumi voice over

”Earthbound 2, released in Japan as Mother 3, is the long-awaited sequel to Earthbound for Super NES. Originally released on Game Boy Advance, only in Japan, in 2006, this game stars Lucas, who you might know from the Super Smash Bros. series. Earthbound fans all over the world have wanted to play this game for a long time, so we hope it’s worth the wait.

Earthbound 2 started development in the 1990’s for the Nintendo 64. While this version of the game was never completed, we did have a playable demo at our 1999 Space World trade show. As a gift to Earthbound fans all over the world, to thank them for their continued support and patience, we’ve decided to allow Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack subscribers who complete Earthbound 2 on Game Boy Advance Nintendo Switch Online to play this demo using Nintendo 64 Nintendo Switch Online. The game’s text will be entirely in Japanese, but we believe fans will still enjoy seeing this small part of this version of the game.

And now, some more Nintendo Switch headlines.” (snap)

That is one way to crash the internet.

If Disney ever get on NSO train, they should start with Capcom stuff first. DuckTales, Chip n Dale, Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop, Bonkers, The Little Mermaid, Mickey Magic trilogy... Will they? Absolutely not.
I think there’s a cost/benefit analysis to run where they’ve gotta figure out which would get them more money

1. having a third party emulation house like Digital Eclipse do an emulated port that you could sell on every console
2. have Nintendo pay you directly for the ROM for NSO

anything pre-N64, the emulation work is done so it’d probably be more profitable for them to go with a sellable emulated release. N64 emulation, however, is a big old can of worms so it’d probably be easier for them to just take a fat cheque from Nintendo for the N64 roms than get someone else to figure it out. Especially because the N64 tier is more expensive, Nintendo’s willing to pay a bit more for popular licensed games, like they did with Goldeneye.

I don't think it's unusual that, less than 2 years into N64 games on Switch, at least something high profile from Nintendo isn't there yet.

If we get to like, summer 2024 or later and Smash isn't there then yes, something is off. But it not being there in the first two years isn't all that crazy given Nintendo's options for the service are fairly limited.
I don't think it's unusual that currently something high profile from the first-party 64 library is missing on the NSO. Something usually is.

I do think it's unusual that it's the same game that was missing for a long time on the Wii VC, and just wasn't on the Wii U's, despite seemingly having no specific reason to always be later than its contemporaries. Smash is Smash, it should be in the same category as Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, F-Zero X, Paper Mario... something that reliably shows up, often towards the beginning.

The question isn't why a high-profile game is missing from NSO, it's why is it always Smash that is missing or late?

I don't think it's unusual that currently something high profile from the first-party 64 library is missing on the NSO. Something usually is.

I do think it's unusual that it's the same game that was missing for a long time on the Wii VC, and just wasn't on the Wii U's, despite seemingly having no specific reason to always be later than its contemporaries. Smash is Smash, it should be in the same category as Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, F-Zero X, Paper Mario... something that reliably shows up, often towards the beginning.

The question isn't why a high-profile game is missing from NSO, it's why is it always Smash that is missing or late?
My personal guess with Smash is that there’s a number of legal hoops to jump through.You’ve gotta go to HAL to sign off on Kirby, Game Freak/Creatures/The Pokemon Company for Pikachu and Jigglypuff, and Shigesato Itoi himself for Ness. I’m pretty confident all those parties would agree, but it IS legal legwork to do.

There might also be some contractual thing where any Smash release has to be overseen by Sakurai who is too busy being a full-time Youtuber.

I'm not sure if there's that much legal trouble when it comes to the first Smash, I've always thought it's more along the lines of "there's only one Smash on Switch (WiiU/Wii) and it's Ultimate(4U/Brawl)", although the same doesn't seem to hold true for Mario Kart, given both Super and 64 are on NSO 🤔

Maybe it is the legal stuff after all?

I'm not sure if there's that much legal trouble when it comes to the first Smash, I've always thought it's more along the lines of "there's only one Smash on Switch (WiiU/Wii) and it's Ultimate(4U/Brawl)", although the same doesn't seem to hold true for Mario Kart, given both Super and 64 are on NSO 🤔

Maybe it is the legal stuff after all?
Super Smash Bros. was added on Wii VC despite Smash Bros. Brawl so I don't think that's really a problem.
I just think it's not legal issues, it's just Nintendo being Nintendo.

You know, with how generous Disney has been lately with regards to Star Wars and video games, I bet there’s a non-zero chance some Star Wars N64 games could pop up
Hard to imagine that happening instead of continuing the trend of individual rereleases. We've already seen N64's Racer released on its own.

I wouldn't read too much into Smash 64 missing Wii U VC. N64 VC started in 2015, Nintendo released things at a slow pace even back then (Star Fox 64 didn't come out in NA until the month before the Switch did!), and they basically ditched the system entirely in 2016. I wouldn't be shocked if Nintendo straight up didn't bother getting the necessary legal stuff squared away to release it on Wii U.

I think they know the original smash with online play would be a banger, so they are saving it for when it will be needed.

2024 is going to be interesting for N64. Aside from DK64 and smash, they are going to need third party support, and probably there is when rare games will shine, and maybe konami with Bomberman. Of course if they are going to release 1 or 2 GBA games between 64 titles, they can expand the N64 launchings two or more years.

I could see them saving Smash 64 for the holiday season so they can run their nostalgia based ads similar to the ones they ran for Goldeneye.
I really hope that's the case, but hell I hope by then either Nintendo can start rolling out more fun-tastic colour options for the wireless N64 controllers, or someone starts making custom molds of the shell so I can get my jungle green and arctic blue controllers

I really hope that's the case, but hell I hope by then either Nintendo can start rolling out more fun-tastic colour options for the wireless N64 controllers, or someone starts making custom molds of the shell so I can get my jungle green and arctic blue controllers
I'd buy a translucent red one. I'm surprised no one made shells for those controllers yet.

I'd buy a translucent red one. I'm surprised no one made shells for those controllers yet.
I once saw this custom controller designer on Twitter/Etsy and I am honestly so tempted to commission him if I bought a spare NSO N64 controller for him to make a cast so he could be the first to make custom shells, but I know for sure when the controller is en route eventually Nintendo will just make them official lol

My personal guess with Smash is that there’s a number of legal hoops to jump through.You’ve gotta go to HAL to sign off on Kirby, Game Freak/Creatures/The Pokemon Company for Pikachu and Jigglypuff, and Shigesato Itoi himself for Ness. I’m pretty confident all those parties would agree, but it IS legal legwork to do.
There are... but all these parties are in incredibly frequent contact with Nintendo, or have at least already signed off on things very similar to this.

I mean, Smash is as big if not bigger than anything those parties have up on the NSO. So lethargy preventing them releasing one of 64's biggest games seems like a stretch to me considering who else they've worked with on their back catalogue services. But it's not like I have a better idea.

There might also be some contractual thing where any Smash release has to be overseen by Sakurai who is too busy being a full-time Youtuber.
Maybe? But doesn't seem like it if the plan after Sakurai left HAL was just to release Melee again.

Also Sakurai seems like the kind of guy that will return your email within 30 mins of receiving it while also playing two different games, writing a script in his head, pedalling an elliptical and talking to his cat, so I don't think he'd prove prohibitive either.

I just think it's not legal issues, it's just Nintendo being Nintendo.
So... they just forget Smash exists until around year three when they see Intern-kun and Intern-chan playing it in the break room, and they go "oh shit!" and call up HAL?

Is that our leading theory?

I wouldn't read too much into Smash 64 missing Wii U VC. N64 VC started in 2015, Nintendo released things at a slow pace even back then (Star Fox 64 didn't come out in NA until the month before the Switch did!), and they basically ditched the system entirely in 2016. I wouldn't be shocked if Nintendo straight up didn't bother getting the necessary legal stuff squared away to release it on Wii U.
In a vacuum, sure. But this isn't Smash's drop being timely on Wii, and currently being there on Switch, and just missing from Wii U.

This is one of their biggest series and most successful games on the system not showing up as all those comparable titles did all three times, being late once and absent, so far, twice. All three times they just didn't bother being timely for such a successful title because they'd have to contact parties they already contact for the service anyway, for less successful titles?

Not even for the one where they're selling the 64-tier separately, and for a lot more money?

I think they know the original smash with online play would be a banger, so they are saving it for when it will be needed.

2024 is going to be interesting for N64. Aside from DK64 and smash, they are going to need third party support, and probably there is when rare games will shine, and maybe konami with Bomberman. Of course if they are going to release 1 or 2 GBA games between 64 titles, they can expand the N64 launchings two or more years.
Maybe, though that does sort of overlook the pattern.

Also, they just threw all the online Mario Karts out there.

I could see them saving Smash 64 for the holiday season so they can run their nostalgia based ads similar to the ones they ran for Goldeneye.
Do we think Smash is going to get an Earthbound/Goldeneye-level amount of attention?

Maybe... though if they didn't do it for Banjo, I'm a little skeptical.

If NSO had Gamecube, I could see them doing it for Melee.

I'm incredibly bummed we're still waiting for the rest of the releases from the 2022 roadmap. It's so incredibly lame they've done so little to make that a reality and decided they couldn't possibly have a few months of doubled up stuff. Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 without the GB is lame already, but then portioning the two of them out over MONTHS??? And then like I'm glad Excitebike 64 and 1080 are coming, Mario Party 3 too, but with this release schedule it feels like it'll take them until like early next year to get JUST THOSE out. And we've still not got Smash, no DK64, nothing really interesting third party, and at least a few Rare games that should be here. Are they really trying to milk like 4 N64 games a year for the next like 5 years or something???

So... they just forget Smash exists until around year three when they see Intern-kun and Intern-chan playing it in the break room, and they go "oh shit!" and call up HAL?

Is that our leading theory?
My leading theory is that Smash Bros. is probably already working on the emulator the entire time but for them release timing is everything and they won't hesitate to put it in 2024 if they think it's best suited there. Have you noticed the slow pace?

I'm incredibly bummed we're still waiting for the rest of the releases from the 2022 roadmap. It's so incredibly lame they've done so little to make that a reality and decided they couldn't possibly have a few months of doubled up stuff. Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 without the GB is lame already, but then portioning the two of them out over MONTHS??? And then like I'm glad Excitebike 64 and 1080 are coming, Mario Party 3 too, but with this release schedule it feels like it'll take them until like early next year to get JUST THOSE out. And we've still not got Smash, no DK64, nothing really interesting third party, and at least a few Rare games that should be here. Are they really trying to milk like 4 N64 games a year for the next like 5 years or something???
The sad truth is that we really are now running thin of N64 games Nintendo could easily re-release.

5550cb4823571ebd58b92123d8b27f1f.png

From a first party perspective, anyways.

The sad truth is that we really are now running thin of N64 games Nintendo could easily re-release.

You know we're in a bad spot when an image like this has to be padded with N64 DD releases. Also I'd be shocked if Hey You Pikachu came to NSO. Maybe on Switch 2 if the pro controller/system has a built in microphone (primarily for ds/3ds emulation).

I still think it's not too much to ask for 64DD titles (and control rebind) but when I see GB/A NSO clearly handled with care and then the absolute laziness of N64 NSO compared to it...

Cyberwolf was just being thorough and pointing out the range of Nintendo-published titles across N64 as a whole; there's no suggestion those DD games are actually likely to release. They're feasible, and would be great to have, but I'm not sure they happen.

From that image, I'm glad to see the Bomberman titles and Ogre Battle 64 got re-releases previously and I hope they get secured for NSO (Square Enix the big question for the latter; they'd be great to have on board for other systems, too). The 7 remaining Rare titles would be a huge accomplishment and it'd be great to finally have the bulk of the first-party N64 library in one place, but I'm really unsure on what happens with them. I could see Nintendo aiming to get a first proper re-release for Diddy Kong Racing, for sure. Having almost all the N64 classics in one place would be a good long term selling point for NSO, though.

The other thing to remember is that Nintendo clearly view the mixture of EP content - N64, GBA, DLC - as the whole package and so it's likely N64 releases slow to maybe half a dozen a year because DLC and GBA (at least) will still be coming. The latter especially can pick up some slack, especially if Nintendo are securing third party licenses. We might also see a system like DS or PC-Engine join the expanded tier in the future. For me, the mix of systems has made NSO much more appealing, even if the slow but predictable crawl of releases is frustrating.

Yeah tho, that has 3rd party and that should really be expanded to include ones already on NSO, namely the rest of Konami/Hudsonsoft, the 4-5 Atlus(Sega/compile) games, imagineer/Bamco/spike. There’s probably about 2 dozen viable third party games I can think of off hand

I'd rule out OB64 until SE signs on for licensing generally. Which may never happen sadly.

Nintendo needs to sign a Sega-like fat royalty cut deal with Konami asap, both to get access to their (plus Hudson's) treasure trove of amazing NES/SNES/N64/GB/GBA games and also to add TG16 as the next EP platform.

Wish they would add the cruisn games soon, need more racers on NSO. The system has a bunch of 3rd parry ones I'd love to see as well, like Beetle Adventure Racing, Extreme G 1and 2, etc.

Back when Cruis'n Blast released, the devs said they wanted to bring the original trilogy to Switch somehow.. even though they were referring to the Arcade originals, the N64 ports would be more than welcome on NSO; and besides, Cruis'n USA was already on Wii VC;

You know we're in a bad spot when an image like this has to be padded with N64 DD releases.

Hey the DD releases aren't filler to me! They'd honestly be more exciting to me than a lot of the remaining cartridge games just for the novelty of having them rereleased for the first time ever.

@CyberWolfJV i've just noticed that image is missing SimCity 64 though! Could be considered a licencing hurdle given the SNES game was delisted from Wii VC eventually, and has not returned to any service since. Ogre Battle 64 is also a Nintendo published game in Japan; one of the early cases of them passing off US publishing to Atlus (which was seen more later with games like Cubivore).

Man, if Rare/Microsoft doesn't play ball with most of their catalog, there won't be much left unless 3rd party games show up asap. Unless there is something coming out of left field like the Konami games, the N64 lineup will largely be filled by the end of 2024.

Hey the DD releases aren't filler to me! They'd honestly be more exciting to me than a lot of the remaining cartridge games just for the novelty of having them rereleased for the first time ever.

@CyberWolfJV i've just noticed that image is missing SimCity 64 though! Could be considered a licencing hurdle given the SNES game was delisted from Wii VC eventually, and has not returned to any service since. Ogre Battle 64 is also a Nintendo published game in Japan; one of the early cases of them passing off US publishing to Atlus (which was seen more later with games like Cubivore).
I get it from a novelty/preservation perspective, but from a practical pov most of the DD games don't really provide much beyond a few minutes of novelty.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Doing a bit of research: there’s no correlation between N64 NSO game announcements and when the controllers come back in stock. There have been 3 controller restocks since the last game drop.

The day I can finally stop stressing over what first party N64 games are actually available on NSO will be a welcome day to relieve me of my anxiety and they can add whatever 3rd party games that want to play ball every 4-6 months lol

The day I can finally stop stressing over what first party N64 games are actually available on NSO will be a welcome day to relieve me of my anxiety and they can add whatever 3rd party games that want to play ball every 4-6 months lol
It’s like a bad vibes ouroboros. Say you subscribed to NSO+EP just for N64 games. It’s been almost 3 months since the last N64 game was added. Now, the dream is they’d have kept going with the one-a-month pace. But, then you’d run into the problem of having run out out of games too quickly, because the number of N64 games that are “elligible” is pretty small. I think it’d feel pretty bad to have the service get tapped out, and then that’s it, other than the occasional “we got Microsoft to give us a Rare title” or “we figured out we could do Harvest Moon” kinda situation. So of course they want to spread them out more, so they don’t fill up the library too quickly and run out of things to keep the service in headlines every so often. But that then results in them adding one game a quarter, or four a year. Which ALSO feels bad.

Obviously it’s significantly less bad-feel for them to load the service up with everything quickly, but I get their desire to keep NSO+EP in headlines.

Even though N64 is my baby, I feel a little less annoyed because the rest of the NSO has been pretty solid so far this year. We've seen

• Two new apps in GB and GBA. Both of which have seen multiple updates and a roadmap.
  • NES and SNES have seen updates, including Harvest Moon last month.
  • Genesis has seen two excellent updates, especially with Crusaders of Centy
So while we have been waiting for more 64 bit goodness, the rest of the NSO has been going strong. Still though, we were really feasting back in 2022 with those monthly updates.

It’s like a bad vibes ouroboros. Say you subscribed to NSO+EP just for N64 games. It’s been almost 3 months since the last N64 game was added. Now, the dream is they’d have kept going with the one-a-month pace. But, then you’d run into the problem of having run out out of games too quickly, because the number of N64 games that are “elligible” is pretty small. I think it’d feel pretty bad to have the service get tapped out, and then that’s it, other than the occasional “we got Microsoft to give us a Rare title” or “we figured out we could do Harvest Moon” kinda situation. So of course they want to spread them out more, so they don’t fill up the library too quickly and run out of things to keep the service in headlines every so often. But that then results in them adding one game a quarter, or four a year. Which ALSO feels bad.

Obviously it’s significantly less bad-feel for them to load the service up with everything quickly, but I get their desire to keep NSO+EP in headlines.
It really is a special hell 😅 Like I'm not even mad about the fact that it's streaming-only and you can't buy the games like you could with VC, it's just the entire concept of the dripfeed I'm so sick of. Microsoft maybe have only had to worry about the libraries of two or three consoles, but they still had no problem dumping like 200 games at a time for their backwards compatibility on Xbox Series.

At least when VC first debuted on Wii they were good about promising an N64 game a week. Sure it would have wrapped up sooner, but I still lament the idea of just "UPLOAD EVERYTHING THAT DOESN'T HAVE LICENSING ISSUES" then figure out the rest like Rare/Konami/Capcom/Activision/Ubisoft later.

Even though N64 is my baby, I feel a little less annoyed because the rest of the NSO has been pretty solid so far this year. We've seen

• Two new apps in GB and GBA. Both of which have seen multiple updates and a roadmap.
  • NES and SNES have seen updates, including Harvest Moon last month.
  • Genesis has seen two excellent updates, especially with Crusaders of Centy
So while we have been waiting for more 64 bit goodness, the rest of the NSO has been going strong. Still though, we were really feasting back in 2022 with those monthly updates.
Yeah, at least it can be said that it's not as though the entirety of NSO is already a shrivelled husk even if I only pay attention to a fraction of the catalogue right now. I've just been longing for Gamecube to get a new lease on life and it's finally happening with it appears maybe one game every four months (unless a double pack like Pikmin?), but man I would have at least though if Gamecube needed 3-4 months to get a new release, N64 would be chugging along at a brisker pace than that 😅

I could see them holding off on more highly enticing 64 games to use as marketing for the NSO+EP with the successor. Since I'm not sure adding any new systems are realistic any time soon.

Being mostly the Rare stuff, like some mix of DK64/DKR/Tooie. Not sure how likely the other stuff is, though if we got Goldeneye maybe eventually we can get Perfect Dark. Or in theory we could get proper 3rd-party stuff, but I'm not holding my breath for that. Maybe Konami, but... we'll see.

I mean I believe it's the same service, with the same library - this would just be for headline-grabbing purposes w/ the new system.

Given that we only have two weeks and a half of July left and they announce N64 and GBA games with a week in advance, if we don't get an announcement today for next week we will probably will have only one game for July announced next month. They probably count Mario kart courses as a game release, so two games per month.

That said, I'm fearing the moment they announce Mario party 3. Even if it's a great game, to me is very redundant having MP1 & 2, so I know it will be a meh month to me when they announce it, and more after at least 3 months without N64 updates and Hylia knows how more months until the next one.

Last edited:
Finished Fire Emblem for first time, loved this. What are chances of Fire Emblem Binding Blade localized come to GBA NSO?

Also, what are FEs is considered the best pre-3DS titles?

Finished Fire Emblem for first time, loved this. What are chances of Fire Emblem Binding Blade localized come to GBA NSO?

Also, what are FEs is considered the best pre-3DS titles?
none because why would Nintendo bother to localize games on the cheapest retro service when they could sell it for a limited time

Back
Top Bottom