• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack |ST| New 2024 Poll Up

How will Nintendo handle the NSO with the launch of the Switch 2

• Everything on the service becomes playable on launch day of the new system.

Votes: 152 77.2%
  • A slow roll out with a promise to move everything over within 12 months from launch day

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • LOL Nintendo is going to start all over with just NES games in late 2025

Votes: 18 9.1%
  • Nothing will transfer over because the Switch 2 won't be backwards compatible with the Switch 1

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
I could use some clarification on how the discount works. I assumed that they were giving a discounted fee and upgrading your current membership to the expansion pack but not giving you any additional time.
However the upgrade fee even with the discount is still almost £50 for me and my membership doesn't expire until late March of next year so that seems too much. If I purchase with the discount am I getting an additional 12 months starting from now rather than it working as I thought which would be giving me the expansion until March next year?

Are we sure people are using game mode on their TV? Because I don't really feel the lag.
Later today I will compare it to my N64 but even in handheld mode Ocarina of Time feels normal

I could use some clarification on how the discount works. I assumed that they were giving a discounted fee and upgrading your current membership to the expansion pack but not giving you any additional time.
However the upgrade fee even with the discount is still almost £50 for me and my membership doesn't expire until late March of next year so that seems too much. If I purchase with the discount am I getting an additional 12 months starting from now rather than it working as I thought which would be giving me the expansion until March next year?
Basically, yes.

Nintendo will cancel your existing subscription and give you a discount off of a new, 12 month expansion pack subscription, which is calculated by how many days of your current subscription remain.

Yes, it's 12 months starting now. They're essentially buying out the rest of your current subscription and taking that off the price of the new one - though it doesn't quite add up (they took the yearly price divided by 365 and rounded down to a whole penny for a daily rate. That rate is then multiplied by your remaining days to give you the discount; the rounding down is why it doesn't add up).
There's in app button mapping, dude. Press X on the emulator menu
You can't change it from there. That's just an information screen.

Unless the European app is different, but that would shock me

I don't think there is any extra lag at all. I don't know what everyone is talking about. Can there be console specific bug or something? All games I have played feels and looks good to me. Haven't played Ocarina yet though.

Unless the European app is different, but that would ahock
Okay... then that would be my bad. I'm in class now so i can't check it, but i'll do as soon as i take my commute back home.

It really looked like a button mapping menu. I didn't try to change anything because i was comfortable with it (playing Mario Tennis)

If i'm wrong, i'm really sorry for the misinformation.

Doing these summary of what we know posts is hard work. I don't know how OT OP's handle it.

Basically, yes.

Nintendo will cancel your existing subscription and give you a discount off of a new, 12 month expansion pack subscription, which is calculated by how many days of your current subscription remain.
Yes, it's 12 months starting now. They're essentially buying out the rest of your current subscription and taking that off the price of the new one - though it doesn't quite add up (they took the yearly price divided by 365 and rounded down to a whole penny for a daily rate. That rate is then multiplied by your remaining days to give you the discount; the rounding down is why it doesn't add up).
Gotcha, thanks. That makes more sense then.

Okay... then that would be my bad. I'm in class now so i can't check it, but i'll do as soon as i take my commute back home.

It really looked like a button mapping menu. I didn't try to change anything because i was comfortable with it (playing Mario Tennis)

Yeah, just checked, it's purely an information screen. Very odd of them.

Yeah, just checked, it's purely an information screen. Very odd of them.
Yeah, and that's a true step back. The Wii U emulator allowed button mapping, it makes no sense to me, moreso given the nature of the N64 controller.

Again, i'm really sorry

This one, right?
KmcovuD_d.png

There's no way to change anything, no. Just to be sure, I tried every input. The other NSO apps have similar screens, though they don't include a diagram of the original controller.

This one, right?
KmcovuD_d.png

There's no way to change anything, no. Just to be sure, I tried every input. The other NSO apps have similar screens, though they don't include a diagram of the original controller.
That's what confused me, the controller diagram. It reminded me to the Wii U emulator and made me think it was a remap menu.

Have played Mario Tennis and Sin & Punishment so far. They look really good handheld and play great.

Haven’t played OoT. What’s the visual bug in that one? They remove the fog?

This one, right?
KmcovuD_d.png

Yeah, mapping A to B, B to Y, C-down to A and C-left to X would match the layout of the original controller. And then ZR acts like a literal shift key.

The silence around Mega Drive/Genesis could be because a) people are disappointed with N64 after rushing to try that, which means nobody is trying MD/Genesis or b) there are no issues with MD/Genesis.

Or it could be both!

Have played Mario Tennis and Sin & Punishment so far. They look really good handheld and play great.

Haven’t played OoT. What’s the visual bug in that one? They remove the fog?
Seems to be a mixture of things, but the lack of fog in certain areas is simply the most noticeable. Textures don't seem to be displaying correctly, either, but this is only really noticeable if you do a side by side comparison. I think there are also some people who feel that input lag is more noticeable in that game.

It's not as if this has launched in some horrendously broken state, but it does seem to have launched with a bunch of irritating issues which shouldn't really be present in a premium subscription.

I'll copy my opinion from era.
The graphic bugs are inexcusable and they should provide more controller type or mapping options besides the native switch mapping.
But I just player Mario Kart 64 online with a friend and works fine, aside from maybe a bit of input lag that you adapt quickly. No shutters or sound delay/bugs playing online and both are using Wifi, but both are in the same town so is not really a good example maybe.
Also now playing OoT, is true that it has a bit of delay, but the performance is also... like the original.
They need to fix some things asap like the bugs and input delay, but I bet for a lot of people is a completely functional emulator.

Wanted to grab the MD/Genesis app this morning but through the home screen NSO app they only had the N64 one?
If you go to the expansion pack tab they have both N64 and MD apps, but in the tab that has the NES and SNES one, they only added the 64. Maybe they want to separate Nintendo emulator and third party companies emulators. Also I saw on twitter that the N64 controller has a icon when looking at the controllers screen, but the MD has a generic one.

If you go to the expansion pack tab they have both N64 and MD apps, but in the tab that has the NES and SNES one, they only added the 64. Maybe they want to separate Nintendo emulator and third party companies emulators. Also I saw on twitter that the N64 controller has a icon when looking at the controllers screen, but the MD has a generic one.
Oh I see I didn't went deep enough I guess :)

So far my experience has been pretty good in both emulators. I noticed the seaming bug in links room when it pans from the ceiling, but not after that point. Nothing to report on the other games. Haven't tried online yet though.

And megadrive is flawless.

Does Yoshi’s Story not take me back to the title screen when you beat the game? It’s like frozen on the ranking screen and I’m pressing every single button to go back to the title screen.

Does Yoshi’s Story not take me back to the title screen when you beat the game? It’s like frozen on the ranking screen and I’m pressing every single button to go back to the title screen.

I think i remember it did that. You had to actually reset the console when the game ended.

It's been a while since i last played it in original hardware though.

Seems to be a mixture of things, but the lack of fog in certain areas is simply the most noticeable. Textures don't seem to be displaying correctly, either, but this is only really noticeable if you do a side by side comparison. I think there are also some people who feel that input lag is more noticeable in that game.

It's not as if this has launched in some horrendously broken state, but it does seem to have launched with a bunch of irritating issues which shouldn't really be present in a premium subscription.

Hopefully they iron out some of the bugs. Although after playing the 3DS version I cannot go back to the original lol

The silence around Mega Drive/Genesis could be because a) people are disappointed with N64 after rushing to try that, which means nobody is trying MD/Genesis or b) there are no issues with MD/Genesis.

Or it could be both!
I've been trying Genesis because I'm so put off by what I've heard of the N64 emulator, and it seems very good! Only tried a few games but seems much better. Still kind of enraged that N64 launched in this state and think they need to have some major public outcry over this.

I haven't played OoT(64) since Wii VC. The textures don't really hold up (the beginning of the title screen when it sweeps over the grass and is just a swampy blur lol) but the environmental geometry is great, even by today's standards. It's unique and stylized, like the Kokiri houses aren't just prisms, the maps used more "rounded" features, spaces are multilevel, and pathways tend to meander.

Unless the European app is different, but that would shock me

Exactly, they rounded in their favour the price: 0,09589 vs 0,09. If you multiply these amounts for 11 months and then made the difference, you see that it's 2 euros, no less.

To clarify, the amount of money for person requested is the price of a candy, but it's the principle that bugs me.
Paradoxically, the more you wait the more is better for you

Last edited:
Gamexplain did some measurements and they reckoned the lag (measured in OoT) was 2 frames at 60fps.
Uh
Total? Or in addition to console?
Cause that's definitely not right if it's total.

Edit: I went and found it. He's comparing to original hardware, but on the same display as the Switch is connected to - meaning there's time consuming analog-digital conversion going on. And the Switch was still slower.

The results weren't great, but without knowing the inherit lag of his display it's not very useful.

Last edited:
Just played a few Mario Kart races online with a friend and it was surprisingly good! I haven't had any problems with input latency or audio desync, but the Shadow Link room in those pics looks bad.

I'll be waiting a few weeks hoping it gets fixed before starting my OoT playthrough.

Last edited:
Some games have diferent map buttons, for example I really liked sin and punishment one. Depends of what trigger you press the C butttons change, so using right trigger as z make it avaible to use the A/B/Y/X as a dpad and it actually works well for shooters becouse you ain with left joystick

13.25 frames on Switch, 2 frames longer than whatever they're measuring it against (edit: original n64 hardware).

2 frames total would be shmup heaven territory.
I wouldn't put much stock in a measurement taken from an interlaced analog input to a modern display. OG hardware was likely substantially lower on a CRT.

I've been trying Genesis because I'm so put off by what I've heard of the N64 emulator, and it seems very good! Only tried a few games but seems much better. Still kind of enraged that N64 launched in this state and think they need to have some major public outcry over this.
Ah, thanks. I was going to say with NES and SNES emulation being good, then hopefully Mega Drive would also be good. N64 seems to have repeatedly had issues with official Nintendo emulation and so hopefully they do improve it.

Any UK users notice if the Mega Drive controllers were ever up for sale? I nabbed an N64 one but never noticed MD. It doesn't seem to appear on the store page even though N64 shows up (and is out of stock).

Agreed. The whole methodology used is not professional.
My own non-professional testing yielded a 3 frame difference between OG hardware and handheld mode, but I had no real way of knowing when my button press registered.

13.25 frames on Switch, 2 frames longer than whatever they're measuring it against (edit: original n64 hardware).

2 frames total would be shmup heaven territory.

I got to say, an extra 30ms doesn't really strike me as much.

So the Genesis emulation is good? Wonder if I should get this just for that.

How bad is the input lag for the N64 games? Is it that noticable?

I didn't realize you could pay for your NSO Subscription with Nintendo eShop Gift Cards, so I'm gonna trade in a couple games I'm not playing for an eShop card today and upgrade my Family Plan from the Standard to the Expansion after work today. Nintendo 64 houses some of my favorite video games, and I'd love to play these for myself, especially handheld. I'm glad to hear some of this input delay stuff was being a bit blown out of proportion. Just need to get ahold of one of those N64 controllers lol

Agreed. The whole methodology used is not professional.
My own non-professional testing yielded a 3 frame increase over OG hardware on my childhood CRT. I have no good way of knowing which frame I've actually triggered a button on, but hopefully recording at 240 fps minimized error there.

3 frames is decent for emulation, but worse than SNES NSO (which I measured at 2 frames). If that number is correct (and I wouldn't put much faith in that) and the NSO app matches the input lag of the SNES Classic which has been more throughly tested, the Switch screen itself adds about 16.7ms of delay.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom