• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack |ST| New 2024 Poll Up

How will Nintendo handle the NSO with the launch of the Switch 2

• Everything on the service becomes playable on launch day of the new system.

Votes: 148 76.7%
  • A slow roll out with a promise to move everything over within 12 months from launch day

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • LOL Nintendo is going to start all over with just NES games in late 2025

Votes: 18 9.3%
  • Nothing will transfer over because the Switch 2 won't be backwards compatible with the Switch 1

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
Regarding the input lag: I'd post measurements I took via 240 fps video on my phone (and just guessing which frame the button was triggered on) of Super Mario 64 but I can't find anything regarding original hardware... anywhere. I don't think it's worth posting numbers without a valid reference point.

The only cartridges I own from this set of 9 are Yoshi's Story and Mario Kart 64. I might attempt to get an idea of lag on Yoshi's Story.

Folks, an help, please.
Now i have a family subscription, until september 2022.
The only option i can buy is the upgrade, and it will costs 40 euros instead of 70. If I buy it, the subscription will end in september 2023? or is only for this year? (and i'll pay 40 instead of 35 euros -_- ).

Welp, after 25 years of playing Mario 64, I only now learn that holding A underwater lets Mario do a kick stroke.

Folks, an help, please.
Now i have a family subscription, until september 2022.
The only option i can buy is the upgrade, and it will costs 40 euros instead of 70. If I buy it, the subscription will end in september 2023? or is only for this year? (and i'll pay 40 instead of 35 euros -_- ).
It'll last a year from the upgrade date. This discount is essentially Nintendo buying out your remaining subscription (though not quite all of it) and giving you a new one.

So initially I thought the rendering issues were mostly just some weird texture artifacting, but looking at comparisons, it seems clear there's something deeper wrong with the GPU emulation.

For whatever reason, OoT seems to have gotten hit the worst by this. Hopefully the issues will get fixed in a patch.

So initially I thought the rendering issues were mostly just some weird texture artifacting, but looking at comparisons, it seems clear there's something deeper wrong with the GPU emulation.

For whatever reason, OoT seems to have gotten hit the worst by this. Hopefully the issues will get fixed in a patch.

Made a side by side comparison:

xW6MKtp.png

Current era Nintendo patches stuff regularly, I think there’s a good chance we get improvements.

If anyone wanted to verify those N64 / MD game IDs themselves, Nintendo made it very easy to do that! Check the URLs on the pages and images for each game on their revamped NSO site.

Regarding the input lag: I'd post measurements I took via 240 fps video on my phone (and just guessing which frame the button was triggered on) of Super Mario 64 but I can't find anything regarding original hardware... anywhere. I don't think it's worth posting numbers without a valid reference point.

The only cartridges I own from this set of 9 are Yoshi's Story and Mario Kart 64. I might attempt to get an idea of lag on Yoshi's Story.
Aight, coming back to this; I don't have a way to do this incredibly precisely, so I'm not going to post exact numbers. But from my testing, using attached Joy-Cons in handheld mode adds about 3 frames of input lag (in Yoshi's Story, which is 60 fps) compared to my 64 hooked up to a CRT. By comparison, the SNES emulator + Switch OLED screen adds about 2 frames.

Most TVs are likely worse, which could complicate reports. But it doesn't seem to be all that bad. Part of the problem I'm noticing is that many 64 games just have higher input delay to start with (I measured a just over 4 frames in Yoshi's Story, while Super Mario World has been measured at 3.3), and many of them are 30 fps. The emulator isn't helping, but I don't think there's much more they can realistically shave off.

Current era Nintendo patches stuff regularly, I think there’s a good chance we get improvements.
Yeah, one of the benefits of the NSO approach is that there's only one emulator that needs to be patched, and they did mostly manage to fix Super Mario Sunshine in 3D All Stars after a month or two.

So i'll end pay 5 euros for that month! What a scam!

You've paid 35€ for your basic family plan, it's valid until Sep 22 as you wrote.
You can upgrade for 40€ (0,09ct * remaining days ~ 30€) to the Extension Pack.
Your subscription will then last until October 26th 22 so 1-2 month longer for 75€ in total.

If you would by the Extension Family plan now, you pay 70€. But then you didn't had the Sep subscription until now.
70€/12 = 5,83€
Where is the scam?

Time to advance the Nintendoomsday Clock.

When speed runners talk about input lag, that's Erina Nakiri stuff. But those graphical glitches... eesh. I'm imagining the insufferable KingK video now.

I also think that it's a shame they don't do memory card functionality for things like Mario Kart 64. At that price, bells and whistles are to be expected.

On the other hand, is it true that the C buttons, as well as being on the right stick are also mapped to ZR+ face buttons? That's actually quite brilliant.

Time to advance the Nintendoomsday Clock.

When speed runners talk about input lag, that's Erina Nakiri stuff. But those graphical glitches... eesh. I'm imagining the insufferable KingK video now.

I also think that it's a shame they don't do memory card functionality for things like Mario Kart 64. At that price, bells and whistles are to be expected.

On the other hand, is it true that the C buttons, as well as being on the right stick are also mapped to ZR+ face buttons? That's actually quite brilliant.
Yes.
And OoT feels like so smooth to me as a PAL child.
But I really hope the graphical glitch in the Shadow Link fight will be fixed. Always loved that place as a child

Hearing about a lot of the oot weirdness is sad. I think I might skip upgrading until they fix it as it was the game I'm most interested in playing on the service.

Remember you can get rid of the annoying controller prompts at the bottom of the screen, there's a toggle in the options menu. This has a nice extra effect of making the screen just a touch bigger, too.

V6H5aqT.gif

You've paid 35€ for your basic family plan, it's valid until Sep 22 as you wrote.
Your subscription will then last until October 26th 22 so 1-2 month longer for 75€ in total.

If you would by the Extension Family plan now, you pay 70€. But then you didn't had the Sep subscription until now.
70€/12 = 5,83€
Where is the scam?

22 september '21 to 26 october '21= 5 euros base

26 october '21 --> 26 october '22 = 70 euros.

(to be clear, i paid 22 september '21 ---> 22 september '22 35 euros. Nintendo re-bought from me the plan for 30 euros, so i payed 40 euros more from 26 october to 26 october '22 )

The scam is the base month payed 5 euros, when with family plan is 35/12 = 2,9 euros.

Nintendo is the kind of roommate that ask you 9 cents more for the account balance.

Last edited:
Is anyone else having no issues with the input lag? It's getting talked about a lot, but it feels fine to me. Tried out Mario 64, Mario Kart, Ocarina and Mario Tennis so far.

MUSHA seems cool. The Mega Drive lineup is pretty killer so far.

Is anyone else having no issues with the input lag? It's getting talked about a lot, but it feels fine to me. Tried out Mario 64, Mario Kart, Ocarina and Mario Tennis so far.

MUSHA seems cool so far. The Mega Drive lineup is pretty killer so far.
Tested Mario Tennis and Mario Kart, had no issues aside of joycon's dead zone
Managing to get worse emulation with every new console generation is not a hyperbole.
This in itself it's hyperbole.

Wii U N64 emulator wasn't worse than Wii's. And as far as i have played, aside of that strange Ocarina of Time bug i haven't found anything that makes NSO emulator worse than Wii U's

Wii U N64 emulator wasn't worse than Wii's. And as far as i have played, aside of that strange Ocarina of Time bug i haven't found anything that makes NSO emulator worse than Wii U's
But it Was. Remember that awfull awfull dimmed filter that was never patched.

They did... something to all the textures that seems to have caused a lot of artifacts. I'm hesitant to point it out because it's hard to unsee.

Filled in the list with titles previously released on Virtual Consoles, some Rare games and some wishful thinking lol

jJixCTt.jpg

I just accidentally played 20 mins of Mario Tennis and didn't realise until now how nostaligic that game is for me. I must have played for hours as a kid and it's still fun today, the music when you're on a game/match point got to some deep part of my mind and made me feel the pressure instantly even though I was well ahead!

Chatted about it elsewhere but the base is likelt
  1. 1080
  2. Banjo kazooie
  3. Custom robo
  4. Custom Robo v2
  5. Diddy Kong racing
  6. DK64
The rest is messier of course outside of filling out the first party stuff
Man. Custom Robo popping on would probably make me upgrade to this. I need to make some number go up somewhere on their internal charts so they see that someone cares about that series.
I just accidentally played 20 mins of Mario Tennis and didn't realise until now how nostaligic that game is for me. I must have played for hours as a kid and it's still fun today, the music when you're on a game/match point got to some deep part of my mind and made me feel the pressure instantly even though I was well ahead!
Right? I never thought about how much I played as a kid until seeing it announced for this lineup.

These OoT issues bummed me out, it's the game i was most interested in. I'm not going to upgrade my account until they patch it.

These OoT issues bummed me out, it's the game i was most interested in. I'm not going to upgrade my account until they patch it.
Admittedly I'm not very sensitive to things like input lag, but I played up until about halfway through the Deku Tree and had a lot of fun. Nothing seemed to make the game not fun to play at all.

Obviously if the issues brought up will affect you then it's a bummer but the game was still more than playable and very fun to play.

70€/12 = 5,83€
Where is the scam?
I don't like the way they're managing it, either.

I have a basic plan until september 22nd 2022, so let's say if I upgrade today it would expire october 26th 2022. 1 more month, basically.

So I would've expected to pay 20€ for the expansion pack + this extra month (20€/12=1,66€), but they're charging me 23,44 (3,44€ for the extra month)

Why?

I don't like the way they're managing it, either.

I have a basic plan until september 22nd 2022, so let's say if I upgrade today it would expire october 26th 2022. 1 month, basically.

So I would've expected to pay 20€ for the expansion pack + this extra month (20€/12=1,66€), but they're charging me 23,44 (3,44€ for the extra month)

Why?
Because the per day rate they use to calculate your discount is lower than the cost you've paid for the subscription, in all probability. I did the maths for the UK prices and, if we're talking about an individual 12 month subscription, Nintendo value the discount at 4p per day. The £17.99 price you pay in the UK for that 12 month sub actually works out more like 5p per day, so you get £3 less than the full value of the sub in your discount, give or take. I'd imagine a similar thing is at play for your sub in Euros.

The only reason I'm (probably) subbing because I had a free 12 month subscription code so the discount I get is a proper discount and not a partial refund of money I've paid for the base subscription.

So to sum up this whole storied affair with expansion pack.

The good
  • The fact that N64 is coming to Switch at all. Also Megadrive I guess.
  • Good launch lineup with even better to come.
  • Multilayer available through online.
  • Save scumming states.
  • Rumble built in, including in the pastiche controller.
  • Choice of PAL and NTSC versions (how does this work exactly?)
  • Good C button mapping.
  • Upscaling to 720p.
  • No dark filter that everyone complained about?
The bad
  • Emulation is poor quality with some significant visual bugs and notable input lag.
  • Online play is... typical.
  • The price is steep and lack of more flexible plans (annual only)
  • Lack of memory card feature.
  • Lack of rewind (understandable but still)
  • Still can't turn off the sidebar.
  • Poor A and B button mapping and no option to change in-app
The ugly
  • Well... er... let's be honest. N64 graphics.
Edit: restored libel against the button mapping.

Choice of PAL and NTSC versions (how does this work exactly?)
There's a system-level toggle to display just NTSC or NTSC and PAL. If you choose both, titles with multi-language PAL ROMs will also show in the menu with the corresponding box art. Save data is separate between the two ROMs, and titles that didn't have additional language support in Europe anyway (like Mario Kart 64) don't have selectable PAL versions.
notable input lag
Wait for measurements on this one - at least compared to other N64 emulators. It does not seem egregious to me, and wasn't noticable compared to Wii VC when being ran via Wii U BC to the same display.

Going back to a few carts on hardware (yes, on a CRT), I believe 64 games just have high input lag in general compared to NES/SNES. This is further complicated by the number of games that run at 30 fps or lower (there's a reason OoT feels the worst right now).

Back
Top Bottom