• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is just Beyond the Present

What is the big day 1 launch game for successor of the Nintendo Switch System?

• 3D Mario

Votes: 212 80.0%
  • 2D Mario

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Donkey Kong

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Metroid Prime 4: Beyond

Votes: 22 8.3%
  • Pokemon Legends: Z-A

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Star Fox

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • New IP

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Mario Kart

Votes: 14 5.3%
  • Super Smash Bros

• Splatoon

• Animal Crossing

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Zelda

• Total voters
I’d bet decent money on Mario Kart being revealed at the big reveal event. Probably not coming out until 2025, but it’s incredibly important to get it out within the first year, so that they can support it through the Switch 2’s entire life.

I’d bet decent money on Mario Kart being revealed at the big reveal event. Probably not coming out until 2025, but it’s incredibly important to get it out within the first year, so that they can support it through the Switch 2’s entire life.
Nintendo would be dumb af to not reveal the brand new Mario Kart. It needs to be in the reveal video. There is nothing that needs to be more certain than showing Mario Kart day 1.

There is no way they are going to announce ANYTHING around a new switch this year if it isn't launching this year. Switch 1 holidays will be strong and they ain't gonna mess with it this year.

So since we know it won't release this year, it will be announced next year.

I doubt the "no new retro tracks" part. Get ready for them to drip feed that same content again, just now in 4K DLSS maybe with ray tracing reflections turned on in some tracks.

Nintendo is going to lock people in to NSO subscriptions with Mario Kart DLC probably throughout all of the Switch 2's life.

Which is also another reason you want Mario Kart Next early in the product cycle even ideally day 1.

Mario Kart is going to become the centerpiece of DLC content to keep as many subscribers locked in as possible for as long as possible. So I think the opposite ... get ready for like 5-6 years of DLC.
The booster course pass has already given us 95% of the retros, and the ones that are missing are boring anyway. There's no reason to bring them back AGAIN. There might be a few retro tracks in MK10, but the concept of retro cups are gone imo.

It's clearly Nintendo should have capitalised on MK8D's success sooner, so the likelihood of a flow of DLC for MK10 is likely. That being said, I don't think it will be on the scale of BCP, as the only reason why that has so many tracks is because they're ported from tour.

Inb4 we get mario kart 8 Deluxe ultra
I used to despise this idea but now I see it as tremendously exciting (edit: ignoring the obvious fact that it's tremendously unlikely lmao)

precious EPD resources and the based Yabuki freed up for something fresh? sign me the hell up

Zelda gets a lot of its modern identity from a man who joined Nintendo's internal development set up 20 years ago and has worked on the series since the late 90s, starting at Capcom. Roughly 100 Monolith Soft staff worked on Tears of the Kingdom, out of a total team in the region of 800 staff; and I think (someone please correct me if you have the numbers) around 300 of those were EPD.
Monolith Soft's involvement was lower in TotK compared to BotW, so definitely less than 100 people.
Incidentally, their involvement in Splatoon 3 has also declined significantly compared to Splatoon 2.

Last edited:
I’d be surprised if we don’t see sequels to the Switch 1’s 3 biggest sellers (Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, & Smash) by the end of 2026.
I doubt the "no new retro tracks" part. Get ready for them to drip feed that same content again, just now in 4K DLSS maybe with ray tracing reflections turned on in some tracks and whatever new gameplay gimmick they have (water karts? dual racers again?).

Nintendo is going to lock people in to NSO subscriptions with Mario Kart DLC probably throughout all of the Switch 2's life.

Which is also another reason you want Mario Kart Next early in the product cycle even ideally day 1.

Mario Kart is going to become the centerpiece of DLC content to keep as many subscribers locked in as possible for as long as possible. So I think the opposite ... get ready for like 5-6 years of DLC.

I think they will go all in on the "Nintendo Kart" idea too ... get ready for DLC packs for specific Nintendo IP (Zelda, Animal Crossing, F-Zero, Kirby, Pokemon, Splatoon, Xenoblade, etc.). Not just one track but like 3-4 for each Nintendo IP.
While Nintendo crossovers wouldn’t surprise me, I wouldn’t be shocked if they limit it to in-house Nintendo franchises (with the exception of Kirby).

I’d be surprised if we don’t see sequels to the Switch 1’s 3 biggest sellers (Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, & Smash) by the end of 2026.

While Nintendo crossovers wouldn’t surprise me, I wouldn’t be shocked if they limit it to in-house Nintendo franchises (with the exception of Kirby).
Screw Kirby DLC in Mario Kart. We need Air Ride 2 with heavy emphasis on City Trial.

But for real, I'm not the biggest Mario Kart fan but the lead up to Mario Kart 8 was pretty hype. The game looked amazing and it was fun seeing all of the new and returning tracks with that stellar OST. I remember when the Mute City and Hyrule image for the DLC leaked and people were losing their minds. It will be a fun time whenever the new Mario Kart is finally shown.

Pick one launch title burger (two if you hungry)

F8Ccd3lXoAAFw8f

The booster course pass has already given us 95% of the retros, and the ones that are missing are boring anyway. There's no reason to bring them back AGAIN. There might be a few retro tracks in MK10, but the concept of retro cups are gone imo.

It's clearly Nintendo should have capitalised on MK8D's success sooner, so the likelihood of a flow of DLC for MK10 is likely. That being said, I don't think it will be on the scale of BCP, as the only reason why that has so many tracks is because they're ported from tour.

Sure there's a reason.

The reason is it's easy content for them to keep people locked in every month and paying for NSO.

I think people are going to see Mario Kart, Smash, and probably Animal Crossing too are going to become heavy subscription model games that makes Nintendo guaranteed revenue every month year after year.

Some people are going to complain about that on message boards sure, but Nintendo will be crying all the way to the bank.

Also book it that NSO will be getting price increases and probably a higher, more expensive new tier (GameCube/Wii/DS/3DS? games added) too. $99.99 a year or more. They're going to need more content to justify that, Mario Kart and Smash are the crown jewels.

Last edited:
You know, it could be the hopeful optimist in me but I'm predicting we are going to be in for one hell of a great follow up generation. Im thinking this thing will truly be the Super NES to the Switch's NES!

One massively big difference is going to be third party arriving more day and date like the other two systems and PC. In addition to more collaborative efforts with outside devs and a slew of new IP from both sides of the fence. I see way more of the holdout Japanese devs supporting the system to the point where they pretty much need Nintendo to have even moderate success.

I hope to see less focus on ports. I don't mind a remake and remaster here and there but I really want to see more original games. I know the Wii U well is almost dried up so that's a start but if they aren't going to slow down then bring back stuff like Eternal Darkness and FZero GX that the fans have been waiting for. I'm pumped to see what's next from Nintendo!

I'd love to see Pokemon shift back to early in the year releases. Not as early as Legends was, mind you, but Spring releases would be fun.

Rayman 2 remake for launch
wait that would require an ubisoft that actually wants to create goodwill

I don’t know why you’d read these posts before going to sleep lmao
Last night, I read the speculation thread before bed and dreamt that Nintendo's stock price dropped to $5, so I used some of my savings to become a stockholder. Then I woke up before I could click on the thread where everyone was talking about the Switch 2 announcement. Reading the thread again in hopes of a sequel dream where Wave Race is a launch game and Metroid Prime 4 finally gets a release date.

Pick one launch title burger (two if you hungry)

F8Ccd3lXoAAFw8f

I don't like people wasting food so I just eat the one that fell: Animal Crossing.

Oh and I'm bulking so I'll have myself a Super Mario and Pokémon Legends Burger as well please thank you very much.

Maybe a sampling from the others for dessert?

Back
Top Bottom