• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is Probably a Year From Now

How confident are you that one year from now (April 2nd, 2025) you will own a Switch 2 system?

• Absolutely

Votes: 144 59.5%
  • No because scalpers will kill my chances

Votes: 24 9.9%
  • I hope so, but it is probably farther out

Votes: 34 14.0%
  • Team second half 2025

Votes: 16 6.6%
  • Josh, please stop it

Votes: 24 9.9%

• Total voters
arms-anniversary.jpg

Bring them back for another round, Nintendo.

arms-anniversary.jpg

Bring them back for another round, Nintendo.
Funny, there was actually a thread on Era talking about ARMS getting a sequel in the Switch 2’s launch window.

As for me, I do think it’ll happen eventually, but not before Mario Kart 10 (Tour is apparently 9). Gotta get the big seller out the door first before Yabuki can get to his more niche baby.

I'm thinking it'll be the reverse. Unless a major Metroid game isn't a good launch title system-seller.
Metroid (a series whose peak is just over 3 million) in general isn’t a big enough franchise to be the main launch title. You need a 10+ million seller on Day 1 if you want to repeat the success of the Switch 1, & Metroid just isn’t at the sales bracket to be a system-seller.

Trying to launch your system with Metroid is like trying to launch it with Fire Emblem or Xenoblade. If anything, it’s worse in some ways because Japan couldn’t give less of a shit about Metroid.

Hey cool thread! This could go places.

For Switch 2: Anything earlier than a November 2024 launch would be fantastic, since I’m still expecting November at this point.

But really I’m more excited for the reveal event. I just want it to finally be shown off, see Nintendo really break out the big guns to show off, and no longer have to play the ‘is this nebulous title coming to Switch 2 and that’s why they can’t talk about it yet?’ Game

Last edited:
Prediction:
March/April: HW teaser
June: SW blowout
September/October: Launch

Notable titles (some are cross-gen) available in 2024 Q4: 3D Mario, Nintendogs, Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon B/W Remake, COD, Spyro 4, FIFA/NFL/NHL 25, Battlefield, UFC5, RDR2, NBA 2k25, Street Fighter 6, The Crew 3, Avatar FoP, Star Wars Outclaws, Assasins Creed Red, Dragon Ball Tenkaichi 4, Alan Wake 2, Metal Gear Solid 3 Delta, Super Monkey Ball 4, etc

Last edited:
Official predictions for posterity

February announcement 1-2 days before February Direct, stating that the Switch 2 will be released this year, but will not be featured at the upcoming Direct.

Reveal in May or June

Release in September with 3D Mario, Cyberpunk 2077, sports games, and more

Assassin’s Creed Red and Pokémon Legends Unova in October and November (neither exclusive, of course)

Official predictions for posterity

February announcement 1-2 days before February Direct, stating that the Switch 2 will be released this year, but will not be featured at the upcoming Direct.

Reveal in May or June

Release in September with 3D Mario, Cyberpunk 2077, sports games, and more

Assassin’s Creed Red and Pokémon Legends Unova in October and November (neither exclusive, of course)
I’m honestly thinking March reveal. The Switch 1 has one last February Direct left in it by itself.

I’ve said this before. The next 3D Zelda game won’t release until late 2027 the earliest. If Nintendo wanted they could fully remake Ocarina of Time in 4K60.

Do you believe they had the whole Zelda team dedicated to the TOTK DLC for 6 year ? Hmm I think we might get it earlier like 2026

I’ve said this before. The next 3D Zelda game won’t release until late 2027 the earliest. If Nintendo wanted they could fully remake Ocarina of Time in 4K60.
I see it like this:

2024 - WindWaker/Twilight Princess HD on Switch (Padding the library till the big boy gets here. Maybe they'll patch it once it does)

2025 - NEW 2D Zelda (Grezzo), takes inspiration from the classic 3D formula

2026 - Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask 3D Remastered

2027 or 2028 - New 3D Zelda

Probably a new Hyrule Warriors thrown in somewhere there for good measure

Hey cool thread! This could go places.

For Switch 2: Anything earlier than a November 2024 launch would be fantastic, since I’m still expecting November at this point.

But really I’m more excited for the reveal event. I just want it to finally be shown off, see Nintendo really break out the big guns to show off, and no longer have to play the ‘is this nebulous title coming to Switch 3 and that’s why they can’t talk about it yet?’ Game
November may not be the best idea since that’s when the next big Pokémon game will inevitably launch, & that’ll likely remain a Switch 1 title (albeit playable on Switch 2 via BC). If anything, September or October would be safer bets so Nintendo can stay out of Pokémon’s way.

What's Assassin's Creed Red? Is that the one supposedly being set in China?
It’s the one set in Japan starring a Black samurai inspired by Yasuke.

I have to agree. Hopefully we get a new 2D Zelda between now and then.

As for Capcom, I think they’ll lead with Street Fighter 6 to keep up with tradition for Nintendo handhelds.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Match announcement with a September release date!

New thread smell btw!

OoT remake depends on

1. How ambitious the remake is (both gameplay wise and visually)
2. When Twilight Princess HD releases (as it’s kind of a sequel/remake to OoT)
3. Can they find an external dev to make the game.

It’s the one set in Japan starring a Black samurai inspired by Yasuke.
It’s the one set in Japan scheduled for Fall (almost certainly October based on series history) 2024.
Ah I see, well that sounds interesting to me. The one they just released is getting rather decent reviews for being a return to form, so if Red is similar, and comes to the Switch 2, I'll take it.

Hell, at this point I'd take a double pack of Unity/Syndicate.

Here are my predictions

November: Reveal trailer
December: MP4 trailer at TGA + MP 2 + 3 HD Port
January: Presentation the Friday before Nintendo Live
February:
March/April: Release
April: New IP + Mario or Zelda remake/remaster + Switch 1/2 Direct
May: MP4
June: Smash Bros Deluxe

Fall 24: Mario 3D + Mario Party + Pokemon remake
Spring 25: Mario Kart 10 + Pokemon Legends

Are there any easy improvements they could make to improve the gameplay in the three games?

FF13’s gameplay and story are completely fucked beyond repair and would require a wildly expensive remake. The first 20 hours of combat is just awful and there’s no way to fix it. The level design is also horrible and can’t be saved.

Lightning Returns could be improved significantly with more doable changes. It’s a pseudo Majora’s Mask like that has a few annoying structure issues that can be changed.

Here's my guess at the Switch 2's timeline:

- announce it in February (they can get the Switch news out of the way in January)

- presentation in April displaying the hardware, software, features, and release date

- release in June alongside the next 3D Mario to start off the first quarter of Nintendo's next FY on a bang

I don't think we'll see the system at all till after the end of the fiscal year. The February direct will be purely switch 1, and so will Metroid Prime 4, people will be angry about both.

Metroid (a series whose peak is just over 3 million) in general isn’t a big enough franchise to be the main launch title. You need a 10+ million seller on Day 1 if you want to repeat the success of the Switch 1, & Metroid just isn’t at the sales bracket to be a system-seller.
Devil's advocate, Zelda wasn't exactly a 10+ million seller before Breath of the Wild. IIRC the previous best-selling Zelda was Twilight Princess at around 8 million, and there wasn't even a Zelda in the 3DS's top 10 best-sellers (meaning games like OoT 3D And Link Between Worlds failed to outsell Tomodachi Life's 6.72 million). Meanwhile, the Wii U launched with 2D Mario, which generally is a 10+ million seller, and we all know how that went.

Personally, while I doubt they'd ever make Prime 4 the launch title, I wouldn't be so quick to wholly rule it out as a cross-gen launch title alongside something more decidedly casual-friendly such as 3D Mario. If done right, I could see Prime 4 being the breakthrough moment where it goes from a niche series with a 3 million ceiling to a more mainstream series with a 5 or 6 million ceiling.

All in all though, I do think it's most likely to just end up as a late-era Switch 1 game that pushes the system to its absolute limit to deliver something technically impressive (less "the Switch 2's Breath of the Wild" and more "the Switch 1's Last of Us 2", if that makes any sense).

Here are my predictions

November: Reveal trailer
December: MP4 trailer at TGA + MP 2 + 3 HD Port
January: Presentation the Friday before Nintendo Live
February:
March/April: Release
April: New IP + Mario or Zelda remake/remaster + Switch 1/2 Direct
May: MP4
June: Smash Bros Deluxe

Fall 24: Mario 3D + Mario Party + Pokemon remake
Spring 25: Mario Kart 10 + Pokemon Legends
Our disagreements regarding the release timing aside, I don’t think Smash Ultimate Deluxe will happen since...
  1. MK8 was new to 90% of people thanks to the Wii U bombing hard, whereas Smash Ultimate was one of the biggest sellers on one of Nintendo's most successful systems. So that comparison doesn’t really work here.
  2. The Switch 2 will almot certainly be backwards compatible, so 31+ million people will still be able to play Smash Ultimate on their Switch 2.
  3. Including even one third-party DLC character will likely require a new revenue split for EVERYONE (especially if the companies who joined as DLC are included). This may not be an issue for a company like SNK, but it absolutely will be for Disney.

I’m honestly thinking March reveal. The Switch 1 has one last February Direct left in it by itself.

That’s kind of what I said?

I think they’ll announce it briefly in a press release immediately before the Switch’s final direct just to set expectations. But they won’t show it until Spring.

Devil's advocate, Zelda wasn't exactly a 10+ million seller before Breath of the Wild. IIRC the previous best-selling Zelda was Twilight Princess at around 8 million, and there wasn't even a Zelda in the 3DS's top 10 best-sellers (meaning games like OoT 3D And Link Between Worlds failed to outsell Tomodachi Life's 6.72 million). Meanwhile, the Wii U launched with 2D Mario, which generally is a 10+ million seller, and we all know how that went.

Personally, while I doubt they'd ever make Prime 4 the launch title, I wouldn't be so quick to wholly rule it out as a cross-gen launch title alongside something more decidedly casual-friendly such as 3D Mario. If done right, I could see Prime 4 being the breakthrough moment where it goes from a niche series with a 3 million ceiling to a more mainstream series with a 5 or 6 million ceiling.

All in all though, I do think it's most likely to just end up as a late-era Switch 1 game that pushes the system to its absolute limit to deliver something technically impressive (less "the Switch 2's Breath of the Wild" and more "the Switch 1's Last of Us 2", if that makes any sense).
Zelda was at least close enough to 10 million to where you could reasonably expect BotW to get the rest of the way. Metroid doesn’t have that luxury since there’s a HUGE gap between 3 million & 10 million. And they’d have to do that without any significant amount of Japanese sales.

The only way I could see MP4 at launch working is if it releases alongside of more mainstream title like 3D Mario (as you mentioned).

I'm not expecting the next Mario 3D as a launch title. Like they did with Mario Odyssey, I think they will wait a few months before the next Mario 3D, something like March 2025.
Metroid Prime 4 will be the big first party game, but they will need a family/casual game for the launch period too and I would love something Animal Crossing related.

Announcement in May, Nintendo Direct in June + Hands-on previews, Release in September/October

Nintendo sold 2.7m of Switch 1 at launch in March 2017 globally.

Let’s say they release a Mario 3D at launch, and they sell 4M units in March (which is veryyy optimistic), and that half of the userbase buys 3D Mario, that’s 2M software sales that’s not enough. They have to build the userbase first couple months before releasing a 3D Mario

Here's my wishlist (From a previous thread)

WANT TO SEE: (Specifically within the next year or two as Switch wraps up and the new stuff comes in)

- Pokemon Black and White remakes (All but guarenteed), and Pokemon Black and White 2 remakes the following year or later down the line. I would be ok if they were DLC if done right (I need that World Tournament!).......After that I think we hit dimishing returns for remakes and we'll be fine with upscaled ports of XY, ORAS, and SM/USUM, with accompying Legends games

- Ports of Pokemon Colosseum and XD, Luigi's Mansion 1, Sonic Adventure, Kid Icarus Uprising, Simpsons Hit and Run, and a few more I cant remember off the top of my head.

- 3D Mario with an Open world (or bigger open zone), with a defenitive version of Mushroom Kingdom like what BoTW did for Hyrule

- Mario Kart 9 features the all the returning tracks that are still absent after the Booster Course Pack (And by that, I really just mean Wuhu Island!)

- New 2D Zelda (A grezzo joint perhaps?) that takes some inspiration from the classic 3D formula. And finally give us WW/TP HD. I hope to someday see Ocarina/Majora HD ports of the 3DS remakes, but we can wait a few more years for those.

- Greatly expanded NSO. Keep pumping out titles, and give us a good cadence with a more consistent updates. More third party games, more weird licensed stuff, and mainline Pokemon. Add DS as a new system and figure out how to make that work

- Remakes of sequels that have their first installments already remade on Switch (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom, etc)

------------------------
There's probably a lot more I want, but off the cuff that's what I can think of right now

That’s kind of what I said?

I think they’ll announce it briefly in a press release immediately before the Switch’s final direct just to set expectations. But they won’t show it until Spring.
Unless I’m mistaken, console makers usually announce their intentions to release new hardware about 10 to 12 months in advance. So if anything, that press release mainly targeted at investors would be sometime in November.

Let’s say they release a Mario 3D at launch, and they sell 4M units in March (which is veryyy optimistic), and that half of the userbase buys 3D Mario, that’s 2M software sales that’s not enough. They have to build the userbase first couple months before releasing a 3D Mario
You act like the game won’t keep selling for the entirety of the Switch 2’s life. Plus you still need a mainstream hit to entice the masses early on.

I'm not expecting the next Mario 3D as a launch title. Like they did with Mario Odyssey, I think they will wait a few months before the next Mario 3D, something like March 2025.
Metroid Prime 4 will be the big first party game, but they will need a family/casual game for the launch period too and I would love something Animal Crossing related.

Announcement in May, Nintendo Direct in June + Hands-on previews, Release in September/October
Animal Crossing probably won’t be until 2025 at best, so that won’t cut it.

absolutely this

Back
Top Bottom