• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is just Beyond the Present

What is the big day 1 launch game for successor of the Nintendo Switch System?

• 3D Mario

Votes: 213 79.5%
  • 2D Mario

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Donkey Kong

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Metroid Prime 4: Beyond

Votes: 22 8.2%
  • Pokemon Legends: Z-A

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Star Fox

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • New IP

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Mario Kart

Votes: 15 5.6%
  • Super Smash Bros

• Splatoon

• Animal Crossing

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Zelda

• Total voters
it's kinda crazy in the switch presentation Todd Howard was the only noticeable third party game developer in the presentation.

images

The list is of game dev feels weird in retrospect since you can feel that many developers felt uneasy with Nintendo future.
and only 80 Switch games were in development for the Switch
NX_Partners-1200x794.jpg

Also interesting seeing Suda predict how popular the Switch would be for indie games and said it had huge potential in that front.

travis-strikes-again-1.jpg

truly makes me excited seeing the Switch presentation 2 and Nintendo just announcing all it's new partners and developers, since we might even see Microsoft in this lists.

overall interesting going through memory lane and seeing how most people though it would be a failiure.

Last edited:
just don't do a live show again. time and time again, we keep getting reminded why we don't really see these anymore. and they don't actually do much more that a video can't do.

if you really need one, have a video for the public and an unaired stage show for press

just don't do a live show again. time and time again, we keep getting reminded why we don't really see these anymore. and they don't actually do much more that a video can't do.

if you really need one, have a video for the public and an unaired stage show for press
Live shows are fun. They add to the spectacle and importance of the event.

it's kinda crazy in the switch presentation Todd Howard was the only noticeable third party game developer in the presentation.

images

The list is of game dev feels weird in retrospect since you can feel that many developers felt uneasy with Nintendo future.
and only 80 Switch games were in development for the Switch
NX_Partners-1200x794.jpg

Also interesting seeing Suda predict how popular the Switch would be for indie games and said it had huge potential in that front.

travis-strikes-again-1.jpg

truly makes me excited seeing the Switch presentation 2 and Nintendo just announcing all it's new partners and developers, since we might even see Microsoft in this lists.

overall interesting going through memory lane and seeing how most people though it would be a failiure.
todd howard trapped in the phantom blood ending always gets a kick outta me.

hope they trap him in another JJBA ending at the Switch 2 event

that's fucking boring, give me my live shows.

Looking at the views from Nintendo Japan YouTube, there is no way Nintendo will (only) launch Switch 2 with Metroid Prime.

My prediction: in terms of first-party, Switch 2 will launch with 3D Mario, Metroid Prime 4 (cross-gen with Switch 1), and a casual party game that should have been a pack-in. Then you have all three pillars: the system seller, the graphical showcase, and the glorified tech demo

Mariokart X will come later in the summer and Animal Crossing will be a holiday release

My prediction: in terms of first-party, Switch 2 will launch with 3D Mario, Metroid Prime 4 (cross-gen with Switch 1), and a casual party game that should have been a pack-in. Then you have all three pillars: the system seller, the graphical showcase, and the glorified tech demo

Mariokart X will come later in the summer and Animal Crossing will be a holiday release
I would be extremely shocked we see Animal Crossing in year 1. But honestly for me 3D Mario, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing doesn't really get any better lol.

Ever since leaks all but confirmed backwards compatibility months ago, I was finally afforded checking out for the remainder of the generation. Despite the fantastic Nintendo Direct, I’m eager to just move on - but that doesn’t mean I don’t have some reservations or misgivings about the next decade of Nintendo.

For the thread, what’s the biggest open question you all have about the next platform?

I do realize that without believing many of the leaks, there are literally no questions that have been answered. That said I’m operating under the assumption that it’s still Switch form factor, it‘s going to be powerful enough to play modern games, and it’s backwards compatible with Switch (shipment data and T239 findings from this forum, other leaks)

Animal Crossing being there year 1 is how you build an install base, and quick

Animal Crossing being there for year 1 is also how you potentially destroy any trust in the franchise so fast after the previous one.

I would love the next game as much as the next person but I'll give them some time to develop before release.

If the game + DLC would have released earlier in the Switches lifespan I would have agreed with you unconditionally.

Animal Crossing being there for year 1 is also how you potentially destroy any trust in the franchise so fast after the previous one.

I would love the next game as much as the next person but I'll give them some time to develop before release.

If the game + DLC would have released earlier in the Switches lifespan I would have agreed with you unconditionally.
If development started in 2022 that's a 3+ year dev time, and this game will likely get a head start by being able to recycle a lot of assets, like furniture from New Horizons

How would it destroy trust in the franchise? We don't know how long it has been in development for either, it might have started in late 2021 and that would be a four year dev cycle.

I think that it will launch with 3D Mario and a smattering of ports from familiar third parties and indies. I'm expecting a much larger third-party lineup compared to original Switch - much less hesitation and "testing the market"...especially from those that are eager to make some cash in this economic climate.

There will be some odd ball game(s) they use to accentuate the new features of the successor. This go around, I'm thinking more along the lines of Face Raiders and the AR Games with the cards that came with the 3DS rather than a "minigame" collection like Wii Sports, Nintendoland, or 1-2 Switch.

Yeah, I think they will want to wait until there is a larger install base on Switch successor. Maybe year 2 or 3 imo

I agree. Nintendo has spaced out their content reasonably well during the Switch lifecycle. I expect them to follow a similar plan and release Animal Crossing mid generation when the successor needs "another shot in the arm".

No sense in releasing a new Animal Crossing Year 1 when the Nintendo faithful, new tech enthusiasts, and scalpers will move Year 1 hardware for them.

Same with Year 2 if everything aligns with Gen 10 releasing in Pokémon's 30 year anniversary...enough said there. lol

For the thread, what’s the biggest open question you all have about the next platform?

My big question is not about the games or the hardware - but about the OS and services. What features will the successor's OS bring? Will we see some quirky software built in that becomes a defining feature of the hardware?

I'm thinking along the lines of DS's PictoChat and Download Play, or Wii's Channels, or 3DS's StreetPass or Wii U's Miiverse.

None of these will make a return. But I believe they'll have something - mainly as another bullet point in their marketing to differentiate from the OG Switch.

Doesn’t mean the game will release in 2025 just because it’s done. Nintendo’s strategy if it’s done or not should be to release in 2026. You need big hitters every year to keep people buying. These are 30+ million sellers territory now.

Doesn’t mean the game will release in 2025 just because it’s done. Nintendo’s strategy if it’s done or not should be to release in 2026. You need big hitters every year to keep people buying. These are 30+ million sellers territory now.
Releasing when it's done is what they do with basically all of their big hitters, it's the smaller titles they hold on to

Either way 2026 should be stacked enough as is with Smash and Pokemon

If development started in 2022 that's a 3+ year dev time, and this game will likely get a head start by being able to recycle a lot of assets, like furniture from New Horizons
Yeah that's the scenario I slightly worry about. I really hope that if they re-use the engine they will at least be slightly more ambitious with their gameplay direction. Or have longer support.

But you are right, it is possible. The artstyle was amazing so I doubt they will do a massive overhaul again.

Mario Kart builds a bigger install base than AC ever can. The other series push the base into new areas. AC will still get people who don’t buy Mario Kart of course, but these huge series have got to be spread out more.

I think AC require some connections between players, it is not suitable for releasing it in Switch 2 early stage.
You could say the same for a lot of games like Mario Kart or Splatoon 2 that they haven't had a problem in releasing early on

I don't think this whole thing about Nintendo wanting an install base before releasing certain games holds much weight in general

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know what the livestream numbers were for the recent Nintendo direct off hand?

In Japan, it broke the record for highest live viewership for a livestream at 2 million watchers. Iirc in America is was also pretty huge in comparison to other directs right?

Did the last direct break the record for highest viewed Nintendo direct livestream? That's be pretty crazy for what was expected to be a lower stake, late gen direct. Imagine what the viewership will be for the official Switch 2 presentation 👀

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know what the livestream numbers were for the recent Nintendo direct off hand?

In Japan, it broke the record for highest live viewership for a livestream at 2 million watchers. Iirc in America is was also pretty huge in comparison to other directs right?

Did the last direct break the record for highest viewed Nintendo direct livestream? That's be pretty crazy for what was expected to be a lower stake, late gen direct. Imagine what the viewership will be for the official Switch 2 presentation 👀
The recorded livestream is at 5.3M now, so I'd wager the live number was probably even higher than Japan's 2M. But I don't know the exact numbers

Edit: omniryu says it was lower

I think it peaked at 600k. I might be wrong.
My big question is not about the games or the hardware - but about the OS and services. What features will the successor's OS bring? Will we see some quirky software built in that becomes a defining feature of the hardware?

I'm thinking along the lines of DS's PictoChat and Download Play, or Wii's Channels, or 3DS's StreetPass or Wii U's Miiverse.

None of these will make a return. But I believe they'll have something - mainly as another bullet point in their marketing to differentiate from the OG Switch.
Only thing the OS will integrate is voice chat. After 20 years of international online service, Nintendo will have system level built in party chat. I don't think we will have any built in apps but I do believe we will get some optional free ones to download.

Ever since leaks all but confirmed backwards compatibility months ago, I was finally afforded checking out for the remainder of the generation. Despite the fantastic Nintendo Direct, I’m eager to just move on - but that doesn’t mean I don’t have some reservations or misgivings about the next decade of Nintendo.

I do realize that without believing many of the leaks, there are literally no questions that have been answered. That said I’m operating under the assumption that it’s still Switch form factor, it‘s going to be powerful enough to play modern games, and it’s backwards compatible with Switch (shipment data and T239 findings from this forum, other leaks)
I really want to know if the big third party support will actually be there. I want to know if I will be able to make it the only console I own lol. Will I be able to play Yakuza, sekiro, persona, etc?

It'll come. June is a busy month and events and industry traveling. Makes scheduling a challenge but it remains planned, outlined and working to verify a few additional details to provide further context and talking points within the episode itself.
Understandable. Looking forward to your thoughts on the direct, Switch 2 launch/spec/rumor details, Metroid Prime 4, etc

The recorded livestream is at 5.3M now, so I'd wager the live number was probably even higher than Japan's 2M. But I don't know the exact numbers

Edit: omniryu says it was lower
I think it peaked at 600k. I might be wrong.
I think Omniryu, you may be right or close. I believe I recall seeing a comment about someone saying 700k viewers when it was still live. Guess it also makes sense since it was at 10am/7am so though it's a lot of people, many were probably sleeping or at work

Mario Kart builds a bigger install base than AC ever can. The other series push the base into new areas. AC will still get people who don’t buy Mario Kart of course, but these huge series have got to be spread out more.
There's a reason why Nintendo ships a switch with MK8D every holiday haha.

Beyond that, the insane sales and longevity of MK8D leads me to be so positive MK9 or X(whatever it'll be called) is coming in the first calendar year. I'd bet anything on it lmao.

I'm still bullish on Mario Kart and Prime 4 being launch titles, with 3D Mario being the October release, with Ring Fit 2 releasing November, maybe (emphasis on maybe) Smash in December to really strengthen the launch year.

Here’s my question for folks: what do y’all think happens first?

A) September Direct
B) Reveal of the New Hardware
If Switch 2 is releasing after Spring, the Direct. Though, if it does release in Spring, then I'd say the reveal first. Maybe before September to give the Direct some breathing room, while also still coming before Tokyo Game Show.

I know Smash is coming, but I hope they do something new with it. Sakurai compromised with Ultimate. That was a full complete package.
Super Smash Bros. 7, like other new entreis in storied Japanese gaming franchises forced to slash their character rosters by the continued demands for greater graphical fidelity, will introduce an open world to compensate

I really want Smash Run or something like it in the new game. That mode was so much fun on the 3ds. It was criminal that it was stuck on that version I'm sorry.

Back
Top Bottom