• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Nintendo privates the Switch OLED Model trailer on YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to clarify, I didn't see the other post about this first, I generally went to find the trailers and I couldn't find them.

The Splatoon special edition, it all lines up.
fscNYR9.gif

Didn't even catch that, and it was right in front of us the whole time!

I'm gonna be so damn disappointed when they announce the Switch Lite OLED...

and then preorder one anyway..
ill be disappointed by it on paper but something sexy about it will steal my money

glares at my oled's thiccstand
Official Tote Bag to carry it in! :ROFLMAO:

Has insider @Dark Cloud commented on this yet?
Haha! :ROFLMAO:

Hey @Dark Cloud, we all know you're busy with your multimedia empire, but we'd love your insight now before we go nuts! Nintendo's got us refreshing their YouTube videos, racking up their views!

Oh, Iโ€™m loving all those weird serendipity events (Splatoon fest missing week, private videos, random Chinese board posts, June-July non-E3 rumors). Probably mere coincidences but I enjoy when several unrelated tidbits just tie together (in my mind anyway lol).

Itโ€˜s a great way to spend days not thinking about Xenoblade 3.

EDIT: I believe Iโ€™m not the only one lol

Last edited:
Of the possible alternative explanations I've read for why they would private a video, there's possible music licensing issues, automation that privates after 1 year, some kind of SEO/metrics purpose, or that it's a mistake. Am I missing anything?

I don't believe they would private a video "for no reason". They're still selling the OLED model, doesn't seem responsible to take down its reveal video without a good justification, even if it's just in the US so far. If it's a mistake/for the lulz, I'd assume it'd be public again.

Not saying this is a guarantee of any hardware reveal - I'm genuinely curious why they would bother.

My Logic brain: This means nothing and they've taken it down for arbitrary reasons
My Unga Bunga brain: Switch Pro launching with BOTW2 pro version

Yeah Kit would know best for this specific type of thing, it was literally his job to know this stuff. That also settles it for me given I was already not really on board, haha.

I got very excited for a while until I read Kitโ€™s tweetโ€ฆ oh what the hell, Iโ€™m gonna keep waiting for the announcement this month!

Kit and Krysta did release a video explaining why there won't be a June Direct just a few days shy of one being announced (albeit a Partner Mini).

Having said that, I'm not really feeling an announcement this month. Predicting Nintendo's next move is exhausting when there is so much variability in tactics.

So, why's the Lite reveal video still private? Same licensing issue?

So, why's the Lite reveal video still private? Same licensing issue?
If they didn't renew the license, then it's going to be private forever. The suspicious thing is why they'd allow the OLED video to lapse after one year, half the time as the Lite got, with nothing to replace it like the Lite had. The Labo first look video eventually lapsed with nothing to replace it, but that was after 4 years, 3 of which came after the final kit released. Why was that supposed licensing expenditure worth it for 4 years but OLED only got 1?

Can you explain this part
Just that the Lite video was made private right around 2 years* after it was uploaded, which (coincidentally?) happened to be just a couple days after the OLED announcement. Whereas the OLED video was just made private, by NoA at least, one day before its 1 year anniversary.

* Best we can tell form the archive is that it was not private on July 8 2021, and was private on July 11 2021. It was uploaded on July 10 2019.

We all know it's coming especially that we are talking about a hardware launched in 2017 and is starting to show it's limitation.
Nintendo wants to ensure getting a peace of the multiplatform pie. Yes there were miracle workers like Witcher and Skyrim ports that dropped the quality for portability however portable gaming has advanced alot.

I think it's the right time while the Switch is still relevant.

Nintendo wants to ensure getting a peace of the multiplatform pie. Yes there were miracle workers like Witcher and Skyrim ports that dropped the quality for portability however portable gaming has advanced alot.
I'm going to nitpick and argue that Skyrim was not a miracle port and achieved solid IQ and performance without significant compromise, as opposed to Witcher 3.

Well that settles it for me.

Correct me if Iโ€™m wrong, didnโ€™t they also say there would be no direct of any kind in June and made a whole video on it?

Kit and Krysta are awesome. But Iโ€™m not so sure they know anything happening at Nintendo anymore after getting that wrong.

Correct me if Iโ€™m wrong, didnโ€™t they also say there would be no direct of any kind in June and made a whole video on it?

Kit and Krysta are awesome. But Iโ€™m not so sure they know anything happening at Nintendo anymore after getting that wrong.
They are doing a great job setting expectation as people could go crazy.
We could've been at 8K 120FPS handheld mode.

it was just their opinion and speculation, they never claimed to have inside info about there not being a direct. and in the episode they mostly talked about how a general direct late in June doesn't make sense, and they were right about that.

edit: and they didn't make a whole video about it, it was just one topic among many in their weekly podcast.

Hmm...not for nothing, but Nintendo's Hong Kong YouTube channel JUST made a playlist for Bayonetta 3, with the old trailer from last year in it...Something happening?!

Nintendo's YouTube game is off the wall now! :ROFLMAO:

So apparently Splatoon 3 OLED today with trailer, Switch 2 following later in the year. Announcement probably September after that game launches
Announcing a special edition for September when a successor is just months after that would be extremely shitty.

Announcing a special edition for September when a successor is just months after that would be extremely shitty.
They've done that several times in the past though. So while shitty, it seems possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom