• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion Thread |ST11 Aug 2022| Everybody's 11-12 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sucks that I can’t fire up the Splatfest right now. Did anyone play the three-way Turf War? If you were part of the defending team, how was it?

I dont do pc gaming alot (I got like 8 games on steam) but I wanted to test my new laptop (Ryzen series) with Arise (since I was interested in the game). I spent like 80% of the demo trying to optimize the settings. That game does not have a ton of setting customization, so I could go from sub 30 fps with decent visuals to crisp 60 with a N64 textures, no in between lol. Could also be my laptop lol.

Anyways, I enjoy consoles lol.

Sucks that I can’t fire up the Splatfest right now. Did anyone play the three-way Turf War? If you were part of the defending team, how was it?
It’s very rough as the defending team if you are playing with all randos and it’s very tough if you have friends to play with. You basically need to play perfectly for three minutes while the attacking teams only need two good pushes between them. I do think it’s fun with friends, but if those two good enemy pushes happen early, the defending team is out of the game. The only win they can get at that point is really picking one team to sabotage if you dislike one of them as there’s no recovery once the two rockets/sprinklers are claimed.

I dont do pc gaming alot (I got like 8 games on steam) but I wanted to test my new laptop (Ryzen series) with Arise (since I was interested in the game). I spent like 80% of the demo trying to optimize the settings. That game does not have a ton of setting customization, so I could go from sub 30 fps with decent visuals to crisp 60 with a N64 textures, no in between lol. Could also be my laptop lol.

Anyways, I enjoy consoles lol.
Are we talking Ryzen APU here? No dedicated GPU?
ToA certainly is one of the less scaleable PC games in terms of settings, though that's overall sadly a trend still with many JP 3rd parties on PC. Capcom is a welcome exception to this rule, mostly.

Happy and restful Sunday to you all. I've already been up for six hours and am drinking coffee in an airport pub and waiting for my flight back to the US. I used to love everything about travelling but doing long haul journeys with a chronic illness is a really trying experience gang.

Can't wait for a lazy Monday with Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Eunie's excellent enunciation, the game's glorious British slang, and Lanz's biceps for company.

Happy and restful Sunday to you all. I've already been up for six hours and am drinking coffee in an airport pub and waiting for my flight back to the US. I used to love everything about travelling but doing long haul journeys with a chronic illness is a really trying experience gang.

Can't wait for a lazy Monday with Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Eunie's excellent enunciation, the game's glorious British slang, and Lanz's biceps for company.
Wishing you a sparkin' good flight, hope everything will go ok and the food and entertainment on board will be good !

Unlocked all endings in Thymesia after about 11 hours, which is simple enough to do as you can replay the final boss fight ad infinitum.

Short but sweet game I can recommend to anyone who likes Souls games, even though the level design is not very intricate and enemy variety is rather lacking. Still, combat is very engaging, and the atmosphere is compelling.

For a game that was developed by a handful of people, it is rather impressive, and I hope it sells well enough for them to consider post launch content.

I get to play games again this week according to what my doctor has told me before. I will be taking it slow and steady and probably for a good while. Thirty minutes to an hour at a time.

What should I try to play?

Kotor 2
Portal 2
Mario Kart through my hot spot
Fall guys

Start Xenoblade but I will do that later in the week

I will likely won’t do long sessions anymore

I get to play games again this week according to what my doctor has told me before. I will be taking it slow and steady and probably for a good while. Thirty minutes to an hour at a time.

Kotor 2
Portal 2
Fall guys

If you are looking for something you can play in small sessions every now and then, may I interest you in (obviously no idea if you already played any of them):

Dead Cells
Hades
Slay the Spire

I tend to gravitate towards rogue-likes whenever I don't have a lot of time on hand, but feel like gaming for a bit anyway. I'm sure games like Fall Guys and Mario Kart work well in small bursts, too.

Kotor 2
Portal 2
Fall guys

Portal 2 is the greatest game of all time.

If you are looking for something you can play in small sessions every now and then, may I interest you in (obviously no idea if you already played any of them):

Dead Cells
Hades
Slay the Spire

I tend to gravitate towards rogue-likes whenever I don't have a lot of time on hand, but feel like gaming for a bit anyway. I'm sure games like Fall Guys and Mario Kart work well in small bursts, too.
I actually have hades believe it or not but not the other two. Maybe this will be time to finally try that. Thanks for the recommendation

I’m playing the Tomb Raider reboot trilogy again, for some reason. Never finished Shadow and don’t remember if I finished Rise (which should already tell you a lot).

Now I'm about halfway though TR2013 and... I forgot how brutal and gorey this game can be. They kind of overdid it, I have to say. Other than that, it’s okay. Lots of neat little ideas, especially the various upgrades, but it feels unfocused. It’s at its best when it just lets you explore and at its worst when it shoves story and quicktime events into your face.

Well I played the Splatoon thing and it’s Splatoon

More importantly

Friends

I got back into Fortnite
I’m the opposite. I finally get to enjoy splatoon since 2 never worked on my wifi and I considered dropped fortnite just so I don’t get crazy buying the skins.

At least I can enjoy splatoon for a change

I’d actually advise against Hades because that’s fairly action heavy and might stress your wrist out. I’d pick KOTOR 2 out of your list.
That is a good point I did admittedly not give a lot of thought to.

@Legion of Primes keeping that in mind, I would retract Dead Cells from my recommendations as well.

I’d actually advise against Hades because that’s fairly action heavy and might stress your wrist out. I’d pick KOTOR 2 out of your list.
Agreed. Can’t vouch for KOTOR 2 but Portal games are fairly low impact since you’re going to be spending most of your time trying to figure out portal placement.

Kotor 2
Portal 2
Fall guys

Kotor 2 is a good pick. It’s a D20 rpg at its heart so nothing but the racing game has anything requiring reflexes

Kotor 2
Portal 2
Fall guys

I would put KOTOR 2 on hold for the time. At some point Aspyr is going to add to it, as free DLC, the Restored Content Mod which adds a lot of stuff to the game, but they have already confirmed that games started before the mod is implemented will not be compatible with it.

Kotor 2 is a good pick. It’s a D20 rpg at its heart so nothing but the racing game has anything requiring reflexes
I would put KOTOR 2 on hold for the time. At some point Aspyr is going to add to it, as free DLC, the Restored Content Mod which adds a lot of stuff to the game, but they have already confirmed that games started before the mod is implemented will not be compatible with it.
Pretty familiar with the game already but wanted to play the switch version. Played the Xbox one ages ago and both games are some of my favorite games of all times. Kotor 2 had a bug on switch that prevented progress so I stopped playing and by the time they fixed it, the hand thing started.

Reminder: tomorrow is the last day to add credit to your WiiU or 3DS directly via gift card. If you linked wallets with the switch Nintendo account, you will still be able to use that up until March.

So thinking about game balance-

My game has an inverse MP system. MP increases with use from 0 and when it exceeds the max (which is determined by intelligence) your character takes twice the exceeded points in HP damage. This is for lore reasons but also because it helps keep casters viable longer and in general makes you less afraid to use spells all the time.

Here's the issue-it kinda makes shit way too easy when you have good abilities. There are two ways I plan to deal with that:

1) MP reduction rate is tied to your willpower and vitality stats. Outside of battle you lose a certain amount of mp buildup every second based on those numbers, you need a relatively high willpower and vitality to make it quick. In battle this amount will be done based on recovery time, which is the second way and is much more complicated and confusing.

2) recovery. Every action you or an enemy takes in battle has a recovery time associated with it. This recovery time is, for example for standard melee attacks, 50. 50 what? I dunno, just a float with the value of 50. Your character needs to wait until that number is down to zero before they get another turn.

Powerful spells then will have much higher recovery times. So you'll need to wait longer after using them to act again. (By the way when I say wait I don't mean in real time, this all happens instantaneously. I more mean you'll likely have the enemy go multiple times before that character can go again)

The other part of this equation is recovery rate. This is how quickly your character passes through their recovery time. When all combatants are recovering the game subtracts all recovery rates from all respective recovery times, and whoever then is at a recovery time of zero gets their turn. Recovery rate is affected by agility and equipment worn, i.e. a character in full obsidian armor will have a lower recovery rate than someone in full leather armor, unless their heavy armor skill is high enough.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at here is this- a savvy player can give one character tons of recovery boosting equipment, willpower/vitality boosts, have them learn the best spells and also give them tons of HP and a high MP threshold, and that character could probably wind up wiping the floor with most enemies very, very easily.

I'm trying to figure out if I want to avoid situations like this or encourage them. What say y'all?

Last edited:
My god what an absolute banger of a track. Did you write the music?
oh absolutely, this project is mostly an excuse to write a ton (and I mean a ton) of new music and find a home / purpose for several re-worked old songs of mine.

I’m glad you like it!

My god what an absolute banger of a track. Did you write the music?
i actually wrote this one a few years ago, tentatively called “birds are dumb” — and to go with it, I fucked around photoshopping screeching bird faces onto bear fur and putting them in little blobs.

one could say these were the proto-tweeps of yesteryear…

oh absolutely, this project is mostly an excuse to write a ton (and I mean a ton) of new music and find a home / purpose for several re-worked old songs of mine.

I’m glad you like it!
oh my god you're toby foxing it

or if we replace "music" with "language" then oh my god you're tolkiening it

For a single player game I say encourage it. People love finding ways to break RPGs over their knees.
Yeah honestly I think typing all that out convinced me to go for it.
i actually wrote this one a few years ago, tentatively called “birds are dumb” — and to go with it, I fucked around photoshopping screeching bird faces onto bear fur and putting them in little blobs.

one could say these were the proto-tweeps of yesteryear…
Will the game have seen in-universe social media platform called Tweeper?

Anyone has good tips to clean a tv/ monitor? I tried those dedicated sprays /cloths / kits but it always lefts some smear from the cleaning kits
I use re-usable microfiber cloth for the TV and stand. It works really well for dust build-up. It's basically just a really small and soft towel.

So thinking about game balance-

My game has an inverse MP system. MP increases with use from 0 and when it exceeds the max (which is determined by intelligence) your character takes twice the exceeded points in HP damage. This is for lore reasons but also because it helps keep casters viable longer and in general makes you less afraid to use spells all the time.

Here's the issue-it kinda makes shit way too easy when you have good abilities. There are two ways I plan to deal with that:

1) MP reduction rate is tied to your willpower and vitality stats. Outside of battle you lose a certain amount of mp buildup every second based on those numbers, you need a relatively high willpower and vitality to make it quick. In battle this amount will be done based on recovery time, which is the second way and is much more complicated and confusing.

2) recovery. Every action you or an enemy takes in battle has a recovery time associated with it. This recovery time is, for example for standard melee attacks, 50. 50 what? I dunno, just a float with the value of 50. Your character needs to wait until that number is down to zero before they get another turn.

Powerful spells then will have much higher recovery times. So you'll need to wait longer after using them to act again. (By the way when I say wait I don't mean in real time, this all happens instantaneously. I more mean you'll likely have the enemy go multiple times before that character can go again)

The other part of this equation is recovery rate. This is how quickly your character passes through their recovery time. When all combatants are recovering the game subtracts all recovery rates from all respective recovery times, and whoever then is at a recovery time of zero gets their turn. Recovery rate is affected by agility and equipment worn, i.e. a character in full obsidian armor will have a lower recovery rate than someone in full leather armor, unless their heavy armor skill is high enough.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at here is this- a savvy player can give one character tons of recovery boosting equipment, willpower/vitality boosts, have them learn the best spells and also give them tons of HP and a high MP threshold, and that character could probably wind up wiping the floor with most enemies very, very easily.

I'm trying to figure out if I want to avoid situations like this or encourage them. What say y'all?
include a stat that somehow detects when you’re VOP and makes you “magic-drunk” or “power rot” or something — your attacks have an increased chance to do a third of the damage, and attacks on you have an increased chance to do three times the damage

Yeah honestly I think typing all that out convinced me to go for it.

Will the game have seen in-universe social media platform called Tweeper?
nope, but it does have fungal internet

include a stat that somehow detects when you’re VOP and makes you “magic-drunk” or “power rot” or something — your attacks have an increased chance to do a third of the damage, and attacks on you have an increased chance to do three times the damage
Hmm I like that. The lore idea here is that magic users act as conduits for natural magical energy that's flowing everywhere, and they can only withstand channeling so much before they like, die. I could come up with something like them being "oversaturated" or "supercritical" or some other dumb scientific word.

The lore in this game is kinda built on the theme of science being used to explain magic. Which will probably only really be apparent once you get to the
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

@Skittzo and if you still want there to be no true barrier to being an overpowered menace, make a late-game optional item that’s hard to get that either prevents the stat… or exploits it

like say if there are three of these, the first one reduces the threat, the second one prevents it, and having all three reverses it — you have a chance to do 3x the damage and enemies have a chance to do 1/3

broken? yes! chaotic? always!!

@Skittzo and if you still want there to be no true barrier to being an overpowered menace, make a late-game optional item that’s hard to get that either prevents the stat… or exploits it

like say if there are three of these, the first one reduces the threat, the second one prevents it, and having all three reverses it — you have a chance to do 3x the damage and enemies have a chance to do 1/3

broken? yes! chaotic? always!!
Yeah well it'll be possible to build immunity to every status effect barring death and unconscious just like in real life (well vaporization is probably hard to block in reality).

That's a good idea to give benefits when having certain conditions. Thank you for that.

nice
Yeah well it'll be possible to build immunity to every status effect barring death and unconscious just like in real life (well vaporization is probably hard to block in reality).

That's a good idea to give benefits when having certain conditions. Thank you for that.
ooooh nice, I like that concept quite a bit

hmmmmm...

also does anyone else on this forum play Olli Olli World? I really enjoy the mechanics even though it's maybe a tiny bit overtwee, but I feel like I haven't heard anyone else mention it here or anywhere

nice

ooooh nice, I like that concept quite a bit

hmmmmm...
At this point we totally need to just start a game studio together where we wind up working on completely different games but sharing ideas and concepts.

Wait that's what we're doing already.

At this point we totally need to just start a game studio together where we wind up working on completely different games but sharing ideas and concepts.

Wait that's what we're doing already.
get monolith west under our umbrella corporation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom