• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion Thread |ST11 Aug 2022| Everybody's 11-12 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
67 hours is like... not even one branch of Three Houses! My XC3 time is slacking, though, I'm only at 104 hours. And nowhere close to done.
I might misremember, but I am pretty sure my first playthrough (Boue Lions) was about 50 hours. I have about 140 across three branches + 1 standalone playthrough of Ashen Wolves, and started but never finished the fourth.

XB3s absurdly high completion time is what makes me shy away from the game. Can't stick around with one game for that long, unless it is spread out over multiple playthroughs, or it is the kind of game that has you coming back to it periodically for new content.

Maybe Sony should have called their new service PS Be Here Now because I haven’t seen anyone sabotage a seemingly unstoppable wave of success like this since Oasis
Lol

And still in Europe they’re very wanted. I imagine in the Americas they will struggle a lot.

I might misremember, but I am pretty sure my first playthrough (Boue Lions) was about 50 hours. I have about 140 across three branches + 1 standalone playthrough of Ashen Wolves, and started but never finished the fourth.

XB3s absurdly high completion time is what makes me shy away from the game. Can't stick around with one game for that long, unless it is spread out over multiple playthroughs, or it is the kind of game that has you coming back to it periodically for new content.
FETH depends a lot on how much side stuff you do and time you spend in the monastery. For me, I’ve done two playthroughs and both took me over 75 hours each.

XC3 can be done much faster than 100 hours if you aren’t being a completionist like I am. The way the leveling system works, it lets you scale up to the story content pretty quickly if that’s what you want to do.

Holy shit, Steam Deck crashed four times in a row now, lol
Never had that happen before.

This device still has a looong way to go.

Walltext warning.

My mother was truly someone difficult to handle. She liked to press people's buttons. She ignored reasoning as to why i answered her badly several single time, she demanded inherent respect when she didnt earn none, i was taking the toll of keeping the house minimally organized by myself.

My family knew very well how she was and almost always supported me as they could, usually involving criticising her a lot, which at the time i always approved.

But this isnt a bashing post only. When you live with someone you learn how they work too, what makes them smile and how that also affects you. My mother also had a positively unique sense of humour that made me always cringe but deep down made me warm. She had this... way of changing the environment, to make it lighter in an instant. Sadly only someone who kived eith her would notice.

That may be a small list of pros compared to what i said earlier, but i struggle with words.

I think it made me realize how afraid i am of loneliness. I never liked our house very much but now, even with my new dog Whisky it feels like a tasteless imitation of the place. Things are where they should be, but they dont feel like that.

i am feeling ok, ok. I just feel the need to write what is in my mind once in a while.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Walltext warning.

My mother was truly someone difficult to handle. She liked to press people's buttons. She ignored reasoning as to why i answered her badly several single time, she demanded inherent respect when she didnt earn none, i was taking the toll of keeping the house minimally organized by myself.

My family knew very well how she was and almost always supported me as they could, usually involving criticising her a lot, which at the time i always approved.

But this isnt a bashing post only. When you live with someone you learn how they work too, what makes them smile and how that also affects you. My mother also had a positively unique sense of humour that made me always cringe but deep down made me warm. She had this... way of changing the environment, to make it lighter in an instant. Sadly only someone who kived eith her would notice.

That may be a small list of pros compared to what i said earlier, but i struggle with words.

I think it made me realize how afraid i am of loneliness. I never liked our house very much but now, even with my new dog Whisky it feels like a tasteless imitation of the place. Things are where they should be, but they dont feel like that.

i am feeling ok, ok. I just feel the need to write what is in my mind once in a while.
That's extremely moving to read. Even if you say you feel ok, sending you all my love and support

Today, Super Mario Kart, and the Mario Kart series as a whole, turn 30 years old.

What's your favorite game in the series? What are your favorite memories of the series?

Today, Super Mario Kart, and the Mario Kart series as a whole, turn 30 years old.

What's your favorite game in the series? What are your favorite memories of the series?
Although my favorite is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (best circuits, best soundtrack, well-balanced), my favorite memories probably are on Super Circuit. We only had one GBA because my parents are not very rich, so we were doing duels rally-style with my little brother on the time trial mode. Anytime we were on the road or taking a plane we played Super Circuit, even at night when we only had one of those magnifying glass with little lights on the side to see the screen. I'm so glad kids nowadays can play on well-lit, OLED screens lol

Eurogamer's Christian Donlan earlier this year got a Playdate and has now chased the dragon all the way back to the OG Game Boy which leads to this article of him waxing eloquent about returning to the device

Bonus call back to his Tetris Effect review included

The thing that stands out most to me is the ruminating on the simplicity of the Game Boy and really the games of the time compared to how they are now:

I sit in the park with the Game Boy and I love games all over again - I love them afresh and see their potential afresh. Their potential even, perhaps especially, when they're like this: forged on a chunky cartridge, capable of being shared and lost but never updated or properly borked, or added to with DLC or given a new UI or a new Battle Pass, or tethered to a server that might disappear one day. The battery might go, certainly. You might lose the cartridge down the lining of your coat or drop it off a ferry. But if it's Tetris, it will be Tetris forever, even at the bottom of the ocean. If it's Mole Mania, it will be Mole Mania forever. And there's a singular purity to that. It still fills me with excitement.

I know some of us rail about how basic the Switch is at times. There's no Netflix, there's no system-wide achievement system, there's no voice comms, etc. But I think there's really something to be said for how simple, and as a result: focused, Switch is. Sure it's got patches and DLC so it's not quite a throwback to the halcyon days of the gray slate and four shades of pea green but, to a degree, there is that same purity and focus. There's no distractions on Switch. I'm not going to fire up my Switch and see a bunch of ads on my home screen, I'm not going to get notifications about an incoming email, etc. I'm here to play a game and Nintendo knows and wants that. And that makes me happy.

Last edited:
The BBC have published an article on the Mario Kart series, interestingly, and spoke to one Serkan Toto about it.

What's perhaps of particular interest here, is Toto's suggestion at the end of the article:
"I heard that apparently, Nintendo came up with a new idea for Mario Kart 9. I think that they need a little bit of a reboot for Mario Kart 9. I'm not saying that Nintendo is rebooting the series, but what I'm trying to say is, I think they need a new angle for the series."
"I think that Mario Kart 9 actually has to offer something new because just a rehash of Mario Kart 8 is probably not going to cut it for Nintendo."

I know some of us rail about how basic the Switch is at times. There's no Netflix, there's no system-wide achievement system, there's no voice comms, etc. But I think there's really something to be said for how simple, and as a result: focused, Switch is. Sure it's got patches and DLC so it's not quite a throwback to the halcyon days of the gray slate and four shades of pea green but, to a degree, there is that same purity and focus. There's no distractions on Switch. I'm not going to fire up my Switch and see a bunch of ads on my home screen, I'm not going to get notifications about an incoming email, etc. I'm here to play a game and Nintendo knows and wants that. And that makes me happy.

For me this is the most important thing that Nintendo offers, the fact that the UI is solely dedicated to gaming from the moment you push the power button without any clutter

The BBC have published an article on the Mario Kart series, interestingly, and spoke to one Serkan Toto about it.

What's perhaps of particular interest here, is Toto's suggestion at the end of the article:
Unrelated to the point, but I find it very amusing when people say that certain franchises (not only Mario Kart, but Smash and other examples) "can't get any better than this" or "how they can top this?".. I mean, by the perspective of just having the current entry on your hands, of course it's hard to say that, but I won't ever underestimate the devs behind these franchises.. of course they can come up with something;

if anything, to give the sequel its own identity and not necessarily trying to outdo themselves; maybe Mario Kart 9 (or 10; don't forget about Tour!) won't sell more than 8DX, but sure it will be successful on its own terms for the next system..

Heck, Nintendo should had gave up on MKWii, since there was no way they could make anything that could beat that sales numbers on 3DS or Wii U ;P

Got myself Soul Hackers 2. Putting Xenoblade 3 on pause and gonna play this. Very curious. I love the original so....

Unrelated to the point, but I find it very amusing when people say that certain franchises (not only Mario Kart, but Smash and other examples) "can't get any better than this" or "how they can top this?".. I mean, by the perspective of just having the current entry on your hands, of course it's hard to say that, but I won't ever underestimate the devs behind these franchises.. of course they can come up with something;

if anything, to give the sequel its own identity and not necessarily trying to outdo themselves; maybe Mario Kart 9 (or 10; don't forget about Tour!) won't sell more than 8DX, but sure it will be successful on its own terms for the next system..

Heck, Nintendo should had gave up on MKWii, since there was no way they could make anything that could beat that sales numbers on 3DS or Wii U ;P
Agreed entirely; just look at the step up from Kart 7 to Kart 8, for example.

I think the interesting point for me is that Toto asserts Nintendo had or have a Mario Kart 9 knocking around somewhere; it makes absolute sense, of course, but it does make me wonder if major titles like a new Kart are somewhat formulated at EPD and are now just being held back for the next generational transition.

It's definitely a hot take when I think back to when 3D All Stars released and I was reading all these posts about how 64 has aged poorly doesn't hold up these days!
Indeed, that was a thing. I kind of believe that it was partially caused by people who were disappointed that it was just a remaster and not a full-blown remake, though.

It's definitely a hot take when I think back to when 3D All Stars released and I was reading all these posts about how 64 has aged poorly doesn't hold up these days!
All of those were written by me!! Jk 64 is easily my least favourite 3D Mario but it's still great. Controls are just a little wonky until you get fully used to them and I don't like most late game levels that much personally. But Bob-Omb Battlefield alone makes it goated forever

One of those rare three tab days for Famiboards. This thread, the direct speculation thread, and the Splatfest thread. Good times.

DAMMIT the splat’s not until pacific 9??

my schemes… ruined

I've been up 5 hours and it's not even 11. And I've been out for two walks and one game of fetch in a tennis court.

I'm ready for bed.

Chill day for me. Just up at the family place relaxing. There’s a couple hours where the light in the living room doesn’t work for gaming very well so I’ll work on my kit then. Kind of considering saving Xenoblade 3 for Monday when I’m back and don’t have to worry about the dog being antsy thanks to the yard(well maybe start tomorrow night). Maybe I’ll go ahead and knock out the new chapter convos in FEWTH and do a mission and play some TGAA this morning. Or Ryza, haven’t worked on that in a bit

a lot of people hate the idea and think it's boring, but I really do think a smash kart is the next step
It would be a handy way of stepping around the question of "how do we follow up on Mario Kart 8 DX having 96 tracks and selling 60 million copies" without committing to a long term Smash Kart series, sure.

It is a shame Nintendo don't make their different racing series any more, but I acknowledge the market has obviously changed and so have development demands. Personally I'd have loved to see them set EPD 9 loose on Wave Race or F Zero or 1080 given they've got the security of Kart 8 DX selling millions every year, but Nintendo All Stars Racing may well be the next step.

It would be a handy way of stepping around the question of "how do we follow up on Mario Kart 8 DX having 96 tracks and selling 60 million copies" without committing to a long term Smash Kart series, sure.

It is a shame Nintendo don't make their different racing series any more, but I acknowledge the market has obviously changed and so have development demands. Personally I'd have loved to see them set EPD 9 loose on Wave Race or F Zero or 1080 given they've got the security of Kart 8 DX selling millions every year, but Nintendo All Stars Racing may well be the next step.
Just fuse all 3: intergalactic triathlon

I'm downloading Yakuza: Like a Dragon right now from PS+.

...So apparently I get it for free?
You get three games every month 'for free' from PS+

Though it's only 'for free' in that you get them for as long as you keep the subscription.

a lot of people hate the idea and think it's boring, but I really do think a smash kart is the next step

Smash Kart when they've barely scratched the surface of the Mario universe would be boring indeed, especially when Tour already shows how much you can do within this framework. I wouldn't hate Smash Kart per se, I do like most of the "guest-content" in MK8 for example, but I'm also not really a fan of aping Smash Bros.

I'm not entirely sure Mario Kart 9 needs to be a complete reinvention from the 7/8 template in order to be successful. It's probably due for a shakeup, but I generally think by 3 iterations on an idea usually most games have exhausted the design space and it's time to move onto something new. So if not 9 then definitely 10.

Smash Kart when they've barely scratched the surface of the Mario universe would be boring indeed, especially when Tour already shows how much you can do within this framework. I wouldn't hate Smash Kart per se, I do like most of the "guest-content" in MK8 for example, but I'm also not really a fan of aping Smash Bros.
Same. The guest stuff is neat in novel in small doses, but as the core premise? I'm not really feeling it. Because Smash isn't just stages and characters from a mish-mash of games. You've got weapons and items pulling from a number of different sources. You've got move sets that are often entirely representative of the original game's mechanics.

You're not going to get that in Smash Kart, or at least given the current Mario Kart template.

Don't believe me? Here's a prime example. What makes the Splatoon kids in Mario Kart 8 DX different than any of the other characters in Mario Kart? Incredibly little, just some numbers on the balancing spreadsheet that indicate their weight class and a few other minor modifiers.

Meanwhile in Smash Bros. they play like they do in Splatoon. You have a ranged attacker as the base. You have to be mindful of your ink levels and occassionally reload (which no other other fighter does I think). You have 5 unique actions none of the other characters have. Splatoon kids play vastly different than every other character in Smash because, echoes & clones aside /s, every character in Smash is unique (with some of the DLC characters taking this to the extreme).

What would a Splatoon Smash Kart track be like? What's the central premise, without being a reskin of an existing mechanic in the series? Smash stages are, at the core, fairly simple environments and that makes them a good blank slate you can drop almost any property onto. And I would argue that the Splatoon one is not mechanically interesting beyond a unique platform arrangement.

Mario Kart 9 can't be Smash Kart because Smash Kart requires a whole new design ethos. A whole new language and approach. It would have to be a starting point for a whole new franchise. And I think that would offer the best of both worlds, where Mario Kart 9 could co-exist alongside Smash Kart much in the way systems of yore hosted multiple Nintendo published racing games.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Hot take time

Super Mario 64 is the best 3D Mario and maybe the best Mario game ever

I will not be taking any questions at this time
Do I agree with this take? I mean, I do love Mario 64, but the 3D Mario series has such a high average where it's hard for me to put 64 at top.

...but was 64 the most fun I had in 3D All-Stars? Yes. Yes it was.

I think when most people talk about a “Smash Kart” they don’t really want a complete upending of Mario Kart to be like Smash Bros, they just mean that they want more characters and tracks from other Nintendo franchises. Maybe items too, but in general just doing more of what Mario Kart 8 did. And personally I’d be good with that, whether it’s called Mario Kart 9 or Nintendo Kart or Super Smash Kart or whatever.

I think when most people talk about a “Smash Kart” they don’t really want a complete upending of Mario Kart to be like Smash Bros, they just mean that they want more characters and tracks from other Nintendo franchises. Maybe items too, but in general just doing more of what Mario Kart 8 did. And personally I’d be good with that, whether it’s called Mario Kart 9 or Nintendo Kart or Super Smash Kart or whatever.
In my humble opinion
No matter how many outside characters or locations they add, it should always be called "Mario Kart."
Because
giphy.webp

Yeah, I agree that would be best. And I expect they most likely would stick with the Mario Kart name since there’s no sense in leaving behind such an enormously successful brand.

The nice thing about Splatfest is that you can enjoy a street concert without the disgusting crowds of people rubbing all up against you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom