• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST5 Feb. 2022| Xenodelayed Chronicles 3

Which was your favourite announcement from the Direct?

• Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League

Votes: 68 14.7%
  • Nintendo Switch Sports

Votes: 33 7.1%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 191 41.3%
  • Splatoon 3 - Salmon Run Next Wave

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Booster Course Pass

Votes: 54 11.7%
  • EarthBound + EarthBound Beginnings on NSO

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Disney Speedstorm

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • SD Gundam Battle Alliance

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Front Mission 1st + 2 remakes

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Live A Live

Votes: 50 10.8%
  • No Man's Sky

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Klonoa: Phantasy Reverie Series

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Portal: Companion Collection

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Star Wars: Force Unleashed

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it looks like we’re getting an ice storm here in Ohio on Thursday

God I hope no one loses power. I can’t imagine being without power in the middle of an Ohio winter

Double post but damn, these jeapordy players tonight are the worst ive ever seen

wtf is right :/

It's never going to be about Nintendo, so I'm just counting down the days until somebody snags my favourites away from Switch (or it's successors) forever.

Maybe I'll just have to learn to enjoy Remote Play or xCloud on my phone.

You can also save money on video games by checking out your libraries if you have some! Been able to try some newer games through borrowing stuff.
I wrote a suggestion to my local library to lend out video games a few years ago. They asked me for a more detailed explanation and brought it to their monthly meeting. Then they decided it was a no go. 🙁 I appreciated that they even considered it though. I hope someday it'll be as commonplace as borrowing a book.

If anyone is super bored, here's what I wrote them in early 2019 when they asked some detailed followup questions:

Most video game systems are consoles, essentially set top boxes for a television. There are also portable handheld devices. For the sake of ease and budget I don't believe it would necessarily be easy for a public library system to rent out the consoles video games are played on, at least not as the primary focus of lending games. These consoles are reasonably pricy and often cumbersome to transport. I imagine dealing with damages to such systems would be an undue burden on the library.

So, just as with DVD loans the library member would be required to have their own DVD player, with games the library member would be renting a game for a system they own. I think if over time some systems were available for loan that could be helpful for those who cannot afford a gaming console. However, per a Nielsen study in 2018, almost 162 million people own video game systems, so I don't think it would be an unfair barrier to entry. Most games are available as physical media for these consoles (and will only play on the system they're labeled for), as DVDs or cartridges.

To break down gaming in layman's terms, there are three major console manufacturers: Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo has the Switch, Wii and DS brands. Sony has PlayStation and Microsoft has Xbox.

The current consoles on the market are the Nintendo 3DS (since 2011), the Nintendo Switch (2017), PlayStation 4 (2013) and Xbox One (2013). As with DVDs, gamers are not only interested in new games, but also in games stretching back to the 80's and sometimes earlier. Retro gaming is incredibly popular amongst gamers of all ages, but I imagine especially among persons 25 and order.

The reason I mention this is as a roundabout response to the question of what games the library should offer. Current games would offer the most appeal. Starting with family friendly games could probably be wise in introducing this initiative. Games have ratings just like movies do. E is the PG equivalent, T is the PG-13, and M is the R rating. M rated games ordinarily require an adult be present to rent or purchase, just like with an R rated movie ticket. Content descriptions for most games can he found at the ESRB website or at Common Sense Media.

So, family friendly games are those like Super Mario, Pokemon, any sports or racing game like Madden (football) or Forza Horizon (racing). Anything rated E or even T I would think. Most anything made by Nintendo would fall into this category.

Donated used games would help build a collection cheaply. I would be happy to donate games and I'm sure others would also. There's no reason I can think of as to why games would have to be in new condition. Most used games work without an issue. There is an entire used games industry between GameStop stores and similar businesses (mostly online).

With that said, just as the library purchases new movies and books and CDs, new games would also be an especial draw to library members. It would be much cheaper to buy used games, or older games. Most games 2-3 years old or older drop in price considerably for new copies. To circle back to retro games (anything released for consoles between 1985 and 2013), those games are often available more cheaply or people may be more willing to donate them.

The bottom line with videogames is that people will be incredibly eager to play them, especially people who cannot easily afford games, and they will be glad to play anything well reviewed that is available on a system they own. So I think a library program that offers some new video games as they come out and also offers as many random games across different genres and systems that people donate, people will be very, very happy with. Unlike with books and DVDs, it is nigh unheard of to get to play video games for free.

I hope this is helpful and I would be happy to answer any other questions. Here are a few links which may be useful.

ALA site for games in libraries: http://games.ala.org/games-in-libraries

The Video Game Librarian, a site with resources for how games can be integrated into public libraries:

Best wishes,
Nabbit

I’ve beaten seven games the month of January, not bad. Was hoping to do more on psychonauts 2 but had some things get in the way of that
I've beaten one. And I started it in like November or some shit, so I don't even know if it counts towards January or not.

Nothing ever counts for January anymore.

Hey new thread already! Hello all. Excellent ST!

And regarding the day's news, I'm really looking forward to whenever 2022 decides to have big gaming news that relates to, you know, GAMES, rather than business/money/merger stuff.

I've beaten one. And I started it in like November or some shit, so I don't even know if it counts towards January or not.

Nothing ever counts for January anymore.
Beaten nada here. Played just over two worlds levels in Wunderling but that's it (fun game though!).

I’ve beaten eight games so far this year. I can’t believe it’s still January and separately can’t believe January is basically already over.

I finally stopped into this month's thread again and stumbled across some items to respond to, only for quotes and responses to be shut down most unceremoniously.

So, on the subject of creatures in Australia, there were some rather adorable examples posted. No, I'm not referring to the koalas -- and I shudder at @Raccoon's proposal as to how they should be dealt with.

But I wish to admonish @hologram not to fret, for none can remove your most beloved creatures. Everyone, after all, loves the Drop Bear.

I thought Yu-Gi-Oh Master Duel was going to be like the GBA ones but online

But nope :p it's a very different game now with people doing like 10min turns doing card combos XD

I guess I'll need to buy Legacy of the Duelist to get a similar vibe of the old ones. I've been insisting on ranked battles on Master Duel but it's getting kinda surreal

Last edited:
I’ve finished four games this month, which is pretty good for me. It’s a pace I surely won’t be able to keep up throughout the year.

I thought Yu-Gi-Oh Master Duel was going to be like the GBA ones but online

But nope :p it's a very different game now with people doing like 10min turns doing card combos XD

I guess I'll need to buy Legacy of the Duelist to get a similar vibe of the old ones. I've been insisting on ranked battles on Master Duel but it's getting kinda surreal

I have no idea how to play Yu-Gi-Oh but an online card game sounds chill as hell.

Is it fun? Is Master Duel an okay place to jump in?

I've finished

• Pokemon Sun
  • Bloodborne
  • Banjo-Kazooie (NSO - Nintendo 64)

In January.

Solid month, but honestly most of it was anxiously awaiting BK and Pokemon.

There's no way I'm finishing PL:A in the next 4 hours lol. It'll be a few days, and then several weeks of grinding for fun.

I only beat Torna in January, played a bit of Borderlands and the BoTW DLC but didn't beat either. Typically I only finish about 1-2 games a month though so it's not that odd for me

I’ve finished zero games this month, but that’s because I’ve been working 50 hour plus weeks and then spent most of the free time has been doing stuff with the kids. Maybe one day I’ll get a chance to play for a solid couple hours in one sitting.

I only beat Torna in January, played a bit of Borderlands and the BoTW DLC but didn't beat either. Typically I only finish about 1-2 games a month though so it's not that odd for me
I keep kicking myself because I know I need to get back to BotW for the DLC, and I really want to get it done before BotW 2. At least the Champion’s Ballad stuff.

I have no idea how to play Yu-Gi-Oh but an online card game sounds chill as hell.

Is it fun? Is Master Duel an okay place to jump in?

I enjoy the Yu-Gi-Oh rules but Master Duel's ranked mode have a huge difficult spike, if you climb a bit you start to see lots of very competitive decks. I started watching some videos to try to understand which cards I needed to counter some stuff I saw, with mixed results :p

The game does have a solo mode though, that have some lessons and some challenges, so people can start with this mode if they're curious about the rules

I keep kicking myself because I know I need to get back to BotW for the DLC, and I really want to get it done before BotW 2. At least the Champion’s Ballad stuff.
Started with the Trial of the Sword, and honestly it's a really creative and interesting combat challenge. Though I'm not a huge fan of combat gauntlets in the first place so might give up on that depending on how many tries it takes. Champion's Ballad does seem to be the better recieved part of the DLC so that might have to move up on the priority list

In the first half of January, the month that we are currently in the second half of, I beat:

1. Shin Megami Tensei IV
2. Metroid Dread
3. Tenshi no Uta: Shiroki Tsubasa no Inori
4. Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights
5. Shin Megami Tensei II

And I've started Chrono Cross and Ring Fit Adventure. Can't wait to see what I'll do in the second half of January, the month that we are in. 🙂

Monolith Soft website has been redesigned.

New interviews and new section titled "Tech Blog" to share technical research.

Kyoto Studio hiring more designers.

Updated employee count 273. (December 2021)

This month I've finished :
Firewatch, Donut County, Unpacking, Tetris Connected, Halo Infinite, Dishonored the death of the outsider, Titanfall 2 and Jedi Fallen Order. Gamepass is spoiling me.

I've a long list to complete before March's big games : Kirby and Triangle Strategy!

I finished Happy Game and Saint's Row 4 this month.

I chickened out of Stories Untold, the scariest text adventure game ever made.

The number of employees at Monolith Soft has decreased by two since last July.:cry:

I've finished this year:

• Inscryption (PC)
  • The Forgotten City (PC)
  • AI: The Somnium Files (Switch)

Not a ton, but some good backlog headway, although I still have a lot to go.

I don’t have a backlog, I just have a really really long list of cool games I could play if I ever wanted to.

I ate warm food for the first time in several weeks today. My wife has had persistent nausea (but thankfully is getting better) so I've been sticking to salads, sandwiches and smoothies to avoid creating food odors. I had a doctor's appointment so I stopped at a breakfast place after and got chocolate chip pancakes (gluten free, for those of you following the Nabbit lore) and it came with bacon and scrambled eggs. 🥞 🥓 🍳 It was lukewarm since I got it to go, but since I haven't had non-cold food in so long it was so good and tasted hotter than it was. I ate all three enormous pancakes, all the eggs and bacon. And it was so good. I was full until a couple hours ago. Overly full. But it was totally worth it. 😆

Where's the pineapple?
I declare right now that I am a big pineapple on pizza fan. One of my favorite combos is spicy sausage, jalapeño, and pineapple with a BBQ sauce base and gorgonzola cheese. I just didn’t have any. But I do use hot honey as a topping on my pizza.

I've seen a lot of posts about games finished

What about games played, overall? I play a lot of games I've either already beaten, or don't intend to beat anytime soon, that tend to color a month's "gamefeel"

This month I've played

Pokemon Legends: Arceus
Came out at the tail end of the month, but since the minute it was release I haven't put it down...

Banjo-Kazooie (Nintendo 64 - NSO)
Since I'd call this my "soul game", I 100% it very quickly and have been replaying it a bit here and there. Wonderful game. Happy it's finally on the Switch.

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond
Yes, I'm still planting a fuckton of berries (I have 50+ of nearly every rare berry) and farming for those rare pieces you use to catch Legendaries. I've been enjoying the postgame farm. Still waiting for connection with Pokemon Home, though.

Slay the Spire
Picked this addicting game back up again because I've been seeing my brother signing in and playing it. I absolutely love it. Endlessly entertaining.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
I have earned my place in Xeno-Valhalla by 100% completing this game on NG+, and yet I still find myself occasionally backing up my save and starting a new file just to enjoy the experience again.

Hi! I just wanted to say hello to everyone! I've been lurking around here a lot lately (I dig the friendly atmosphere this place has) but after reading the amazing OP I decided to finally create an account 😊 I've been kinda busy lately, so I will not be posting that much, but I'll try to share with you and join the discussions whenever I can 🌻
Hey, glad to see you made it past the email issue. Welcome!

What about games played, overall? I play a lot of games I've either already beaten, or don't intend to beat anytime soon, that tend to color a month's "gamefeel"

This month I've played

Came out at the tail end of the month, but since the minute it was release I haven't put it down...

Since I'd call this my "soul game", I 100% it very quickly and have been replaying it a bit here and there. Wonderful game. Happy it's finally on the Switch.

Yes, I'm still planting a fuckton of berries (I have 50+ of nearly every rare berry) and farming for those rare pieces you use to catch Legendaries. I've been enjoying the postgame farm. Still waiting for connection with Pokemon Home, though.

Slay the Spire
Picked this addicting game back up again because I've been seeing my brother signing in and playing it. I absolutely love it. Endlessly entertaining.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
I have earned my place in Xeno-Valhalla by 100% completing this game on NG+, and yet I still find myself occasionally backing up my save and starting a new file just to enjoy the experience again.
I’ve been mostly playing Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime as I’m on a mission to beat a lot of my (3)DS games (and Vita) this year. I’m having a good time when I can get to it. Also, it has this amazing tank battle that @chocolate_supra will really appreciate:

Chronotwigger.jpg

Other than that, have been doing my usual ACNH daily tasks and trying to finish my art gallery. Plus did the special Smash and Tetris 99 events.

This month I’ve played:
  • Nobody Saves the World
  • Deep Rock Galactic
Elden Ring is my next purchase. Next Switch game I’ll probably be getting will be in March (Triangle Strategy, Kirby)

This month I've played

Slay the Spire

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
I'm still slowly making my way through Ring Fit and Divinity: OS2 (with a friend group, hence it's taking ages). Also dabbled in A Hat in Time, one of those games that for whatever reason I keep playing just in very small doses.

This month I've played

Slay the Spire

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  • Eastward
  • Tetris 99
  • Bowser's Fury (complete)
  • Pokemon Legends Arceus

Usually we find some random thing 5 years later in BOTW. We’re sitting at 25 years out and a ton of us are just finding this out about Ocarina. Absolutely love this type of stuff.

You can pester him and eventually he'll stop performing his best Gandalf impression and let you pass ... for a fee -- actually a ridiculously low fee, considering the abject dereliction of his duties, but I guess maybe he figures a kid both can't be that bad and also won't have much money.

I think you might be able to forego the pestering if you already got caught and thrown our. Which makes less sense, come to think of it, since that means you were already found causing trouble.

Patch notes: It's a secret to everybody

Last edited:
This month I've finished zero games (I usually take my time, and also life's been a bit busy 😩), but I've been playing Deltarune (very fun) and the Castlevania GBA Collection (I love platformers), with some Pokemon Shield sprinkled over here and there hahaha. With some luck I'll finally finish Harmony of Dissonance this February.
Wait you can bribe the guard at the castle gate in OoT? Wtf. I just did it for the first time in my 20 years of playing that game.
Sshh! It's a secret to everybody 🤭

Edit: Also, thank you very much to everyone for the warm welcome! 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom