• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST5 Feb. 2022| Xenodelayed Chronicles 3

Which was your favourite announcement from the Direct?

• Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League

Votes: 68 14.7%
  • Nintendo Switch Sports

Votes: 33 7.1%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 191 41.3%
  • Splatoon 3 - Salmon Run Next Wave

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Booster Course Pass

Votes: 54 11.7%
  • EarthBound + EarthBound Beginnings on NSO

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Disney Speedstorm

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • SD Gundam Battle Alliance

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Front Mission 1st + 2 remakes

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Live A Live

Votes: 50 10.8%
  • No Man's Sky

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Klonoa: Phantasy Reverie Series

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Portal: Companion Collection

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Star Wars: Force Unleashed

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s nearly 100% correct. The only thing wrong with that tweet is that the FLUDD-less stages also suck, just in different ways.

Sunshine is bad. Deal with it.
Yeah I never got the “the FLUDDless stages are the good part” sentiment. Platforming in featureless voids where the slightest mistake can set your progress back entirely is not my idea of fun.

Yeah I never got the “the FLUDDless stages are the good part” sentiment. Platforming in featureless voids where the slightest mistake can set your progress back entirely is not my idea of fun.
That's what I liked about it, though. They were challenging, but it felt more in your control (okay except for the chuckster stage) than some of the dumb challenges in the main game that were challenging due to bad physics or other gimmicks. Just pure platforming goodness.

And the music is the best track in the whole game, I could listen to that on repeat forever.

it was kind of wild

the tracks are rough in my corner of america

but I loved it
I live near a metro link. I should hop on one day for the experience.

Last year was my first time in a Plane. Thought my fear of heights would affecr me. But the experience was much more boring. Nothing scary. Just pure boredom and exhausting, 8 hour flights are pain and being multi-flights? Damn it was boredom at its finest.

He’s nearly 100% correct. The only thing wrong with that tweet is that the FLUDD-less stages also suck, just in different ways.

Sunshine is bad. Deal with it.
The FLUDD-less stages were honestly worse for me than the rest of the game since Sunshine, imo, feels like it has some wobbliness to its platforming that's mitigated by FLUDD, which obviously can't happen if FLUDD isn't there. So a lot my deaths in those sections felt kinda cheap and more like I was fighting the controls

I just want to say, what a wonderful start to this year for Nintendo. Arceus has had such a strong launch, and a new exciting Kirby game is coming up soon. Plus, 2022 currently has the outlook of (if all goes well) Botw 2, Splatoon 3, and Bayonetta 3. All majorly exciting games!

And that's not counting whatever we don't currently know... Personally I'm most hoping we get Xenoblade 3 (or X2) and the rumored new fire emblem. I want that FE4 remake the most, but a new title would be equally exciting.

Regarding Sunshine I definitely will agree that it’s the most flawed 3D Mario game. That fact is undeniable, it was rushed and not polished at all.

However when Sunshine is fun, it’s REALLY fun. The moveset is cool to play around with, the levels and hub are really creative and it’s a unique experience compared to other 3D Mario’s. I’d say it has higher highs than something like 3D World.

The FLUDD-less stages were honestly worse for me than the rest of the game since Sunshine, imo, feels like it has some wobbliness to its platforming that's mitigated by FLUDD, which obviously can't happen if FLUDD isn't there. So a lot my deaths in those sections felt kinda cheap and more like I was fighting the controls
You’re exactly right. Setting aside the Chuckster stage, which everyone knows is objectively terrible, the FLUDD-less stages reveal the real flaws in Sunshine’s physics and controls. As fun as it feels to run around Delfino Plaza, when you take away the safety net that FLUDD represents and throw you into a stage filled with bottomless pits and no checkpoints, Sunshine’s true self is exposed.

If you want to watch people hurt each other today, just watch the new episode of Euphoria instead
I’ve switched over to qualifying for the Clash at the Coliseum, which is more entertaining on the basis of being hilarious. They built a racetrack on a football field and put NASCAR on it. It looks like a freaking slot car track and I love it

I've heard people make the argument that "Nintendo shouldn't make a powerful console to directly compete with Sony and Microsoft, since the N64 and GameCube, both powerful consoles, failed!"

Here's the thing: The N64 and GameCube didn't fail because they were trying to compete against Sony and Microsoft, they failed because Nintendo made stupid decisions with those consoles, like sticking with cartridges and using mini-DVDs. A Nintendo console on par with the PS5 and Xbox Series X would most likely do very well. Imagine a Nintendo console with amazing first party AND third party games, and having Mario and Zelda in 4k and 60 FPS.

I've heard people make the argument that "Nintendo shouldn't make a powerful console to directly compete with Sony and Microsoft, since the N64 and GameCube, both powerful consoles, failed!"

Here's the thing: The N64 and GameCube didn't fail because they were trying to compete against Sony and Microsoft, they failed because Nintendo made stupid decisions with those consoles, like sticking with cartridges and using mini-DVDs. A Nintendo console on par with the PS5 and Xbox Series X would most likely do very well. Imagine a Nintendo console with amazing first party AND third party games, and having Mario and Zelda in 4k and 60 FPS.
If we have to sacrifice portability for that (spoiler alert, we would), I'd rather not have that. Also, if the system failed for any reason Nintendo would be screwed, because they don't have anything else to fall back on like Sony and Microsoft do.

If we have to sacrifice portability for that (spoiler alert, we would), I'd rather not have that. Also, if the system failed for any reason Nintendo would be screwed, because they don't have anything else to fall back on like Sony and Microsoft do.
Nintendo has a GIGANTIC war chest. They could easily use some of the money they've saved up over the years to make a console on par with the PS5 and Xbox Series X.

Just catching up on some rumours ahead of the next Nintendo Direct and came across this article (https://www.gamesradar.com/mario-ka...de-reported-nintendo-direct-later-this-month/). All pretty standard stuff on the rumours front, but the thing that caught my eye was the claim that Zippo's track record includes accurately predicting Diddy Kong Racing on NSO ahead of time...

Did I miss something?! Diddy Kong Racing has had no confirmation whatsoever, right? Seemed a strange thing to write.

That's a complete mistake by Gamesradar. Not sure how they let that slip by.

Nintendo doesn't have the development staff to create games for such a platform, and neither do many of their partners

I don't really agree. The problem is that the effects of the N64 and Gamecube had a cascading effect. Having 3 home console players competing in the same space just doesn't make sense, and Xbox cemented themselves in the 6th gen and even further in the 7th gen as closer to what Playstation is doing.

If Nintendo tried to make a console as powerful as the Series X and PS5, think about what would happen. Their big blockbuster games would take even longer to make. They'd have to rely on third party support to fill in the gaps - third party support that is largely already on competing platforms. They wouldn't have the money to do the kind of acquisitions Microsoft is doing, either, so they couldn't fill in those gaps in their output very well. And they wouldn't have portability, either, which is a lot of the attraction to their platform.

What would be the point? What would be the outcome? What would be the benefit? There wouldn't be any.

Nintendo has a GIGANTIC war chest. They could easily use some of the money they've saved up over the years to make a console on par with the PS5 and Xbox Series X.
They won’t price out their target audience, which is everyone. Affordability would go out the window.

So you know those pits in gyms that have those big foam cubes? My 4 year old and I were at a birthday party and she begged me to go into it with her, holy shit is it hard to move in those things.

30 minutes later I'm still out of breath.

Yeah, well, I'm glad we didn't have any traditional Directs in 2020. It built character.
(I didn't think to reply to this in time and it's not even the right thread but I wanted to reply with this image)

l0cg9imokxmz.jpg

tweets that cause pain

Portal turns 11 this April and I would still run not walk to grab it day one if it got portaled to Switch

I think this is a Direct hint

Bayonetta 3 baybee

Didn't the PS division burn through the money they made with the PS1 and PS2 with the PS3? Money you have one day can be gone another.
More power would also mean a higher price. How many people are willing to pay 500 bucks? I'd actually like for Nintendo to make a powerhouse console, because I'd like to see how many would be like "I'm not paying 500 bucks to only play Zelda and Mario." The common talking point of power leading to more third party support also isn't a guarantee, especially if the console would mostly stay on store shelves.

I'm also not really buying the mini-disc argument. The PS1 FFs all came on multiple discs, I think I remember hearing that even the 360 had a few multidisc games, so I doubt that wouldn't have worked on the NGC as well.

Imagine wanting Nintendo to throw even more money and resources so you can look at games with slightly higher pixel resolution instead of being able to three stock people in Smash while you're on the toilet

Imagine wanting Nintendo to throw even more money and resources so you can look at games with slightly higher pixel resolution instead of being able to three stock people in Smash while you're on the toilet
Graphics fidelity is a money pit with diminishing returns. However being able to shit and play games at the same time? Irreplaceable

With portability? Unless it costs 700 bucks then that ain't happening, and if it costed that much it would flop.

I finally started Pokémon legends and have been loving it so far, I’ve been distracted doing research tasks and getting crafting stuff instead of the main story and I am still in the first area. It’s the hinterlands from dragon age all over again

@Skittzo took another shower today and the hot water didn’t hurt my head like the other day so I’m hoping this was a one time thing with it causing that headache.

None so far today and enjoying Pokémon

Nintendo just needs to learn how to be like the Pokémon Company when it comes to Merchandising.

Because damn does Pokémon know how to run that show. Ya got all these IPs, they could be doing better in that aspect.

Then with all that cash. They can finally find a Pokémon Colosseum remaster and Golden Sun 1+2 the New Age

tweets that cause pain

wow seeing it laid out like that hurts

I really have no expectations, but… I’d be really stoked about Portal, Portal 2, and one-and-two-half Half-Life Twos

Nintendo just needs to learn how to be like the Pokémon Company when it comes to Merchandising.
That's kind of funny, since Nintendo is one of TPC's owners.
Money earned through merchandise sales aren't necessarily used to fund games, that's why the "biggest media franchise" argument in regards to Pokemon doesn't make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom