• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST5 Feb. 2022| Xenodelayed Chronicles 3

Which was your favourite announcement from the Direct?

• Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League

Votes: 68 14.7%
  • Nintendo Switch Sports

Votes: 33 7.1%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 191 41.3%
  • Splatoon 3 - Salmon Run Next Wave

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Booster Course Pass

Votes: 54 11.7%
  • EarthBound + EarthBound Beginnings on NSO

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Disney Speedstorm

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • SD Gundam Battle Alliance

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Front Mission 1st + 2 remakes

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Live A Live

Votes: 50 10.8%
  • No Man's Sky

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Klonoa: Phantasy Reverie Series

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Portal: Companion Collection

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Star Wars: Force Unleashed

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the existence of Nintendo Switch Sports means anything else Wii Sports related would be remade and not ported.
That won't stop them from emulating the original when Nintendo gets to it. That probably isn't happening on the current Switch hardware, though.

Man who needs new games when old games are just so much better?

All you need to do is destroy your memory cells with drugs and alcohol periodically and you can keep playing the same amazing games over and over forever without getting bored!
This has been my gameplan for years. If I can barely remember anything I can play Super Metroid for the first time every week!

As a follow up to yesterday's holy wars, can I have some clarification on why this place has a generally sour perception of "coobers" such as myself? Is it any of the following:
  1. Vocal fans of games like TTYD and Melee who spend 99% of their time online bitching about how those respective series have never been as good as they were on the Gamecube.
  2. A reverence for relatively unpolished games (Mario Sunshine) or seemingly unfinished games (Wind Waker) that seem beneath Nintendo's typical standards for releases.
  3. The demonization of the Wii by some of the most vocal supporters of the Gamecube.
  4. A general feeling that the console is one of Nintendo's worst and shouldn't be held up as anything other than an example of how not to do business.
From my perspective as a "coober," I think of it as a time in Nintendo's history when they were just throwing everything at the wall. A Saturday Morning Cartoon version of Zelda? Yeah! First-person Metroid? Cool! A slice-of-life simulator where you hang out with animals and play Punch-Out!!! on the NES sometimes? Hell yeah!

I don't think it's their best console or anything, but I think it comfortably hangs with the Wii, N64, and NES on the middle tier of Nintendo consoles.

Also, I know yesterday's conversation wasn't super serious, but as someone who seems to generally fall outside of the mold of this community I'm genuinely curious where some of the resentment (real or imagined) comes from.
The GC is great and still hold up to this day. You really have to admire the ambition and creativity Nintendo was putting into the games. The fact that they launched it with not a Mario game, but a Luigi ghost catching game says it all.

Rushed development was the biggest problem, but most Nintendo franchises were in a healthy state that generation, and we got new IPs like Animal Crossing and Pikmin. The console never found major success which is why the Wii needed to happen, but there’s tons of enjoyment to be had on the GC. Really the fanbase is hated more than the console itself, and some GC fans are just obnoxious in their dislike of anything Nintendo post-2006.

As a follow up to yesterday's holy wars, can I have some clarification on why this place has a generally sour perception of "coobers" such as myself? Is it any of the following:
  1. Vocal fans of games like TTYD and Melee who spend 99% of their time online bitching about how those respective series have never been as good as they were on the Gamecube.
  2. A reverence for relatively unpolished games (Mario Sunshine) or seemingly unfinished games (Wind Waker) that seem beneath Nintendo's typical standards for releases.
  3. The demonization of the Wii by some of the most vocal supporters of the Gamecube.
  4. A general feeling that the console is one of Nintendo's worst and shouldn't be held up as anything other than an example of how not to do business.
From my perspective as a "coober," I think of it as a time in Nintendo's history when they were just throwing everything at the wall. A Saturday Morning Cartoon version of Zelda? Yeah! First-person Metroid? Cool! A slice-of-life simulator where you hang out with animals and play Punch-Out!!! on the NES sometimes? Hell yeah!

I don't think it's their best console or anything, but I think it comfortably hangs with the Wii, N64, and NES on the middle tier of Nintendo consoles.

Also, I know yesterday's conversation wasn't super serious, but as someone who seems to generally fall outside of the mold of this community I'm genuinely curious where some of the resentment (real or imagined) comes from.

Mostly 1, some 3 and a little bit of 2 and 4 sprinkled in. It’s mostly Wiibs, Wiirdos and Wiiners getting revenge for what happened between 2006 and 2017. But you already seem to understand that it’s not really all that serious.

As a coober with no sentimental attachment to the N64 after being denied one for many moons, I just feel shafted that most of my favourite games from that generation are so very difficult to play again on modern consoles, let alone Nintendo's (barring RE4, but my parents were pretty strict on following the ESRB guidelines for better and for worse growing up; I only got away with renting TimeSplitters Future Perfect from Blockbuster at 16 because my friend's parents said it was alright (but they also didn't care nearly as much and let my friend play GTA Vice City on his PS2 when he was 11 lol))

The GC is great and still hold up to this day. You really have to admire the ambition and creativity Nintendo was putting into the games. The fact that they launched it with not a Mario game, but a Luigi ghost catching game says it all.

Rushed development was the biggest problem, but most Nintendo franchises were in a healthy state that generation, and we got new IPs like Animal Crossing and Pikmin. The console never found major success which is why the Wii needed to happen, but there’s tons of enjoyment to be had on the GC. Really the fanbase is hated more than the console itself, and some GC fans are just obnoxious in their dislike of anything Nintendo post-2006.
The new franchises were my favorite part. Pikmin and Animal Crossing are/were some of my favorite games Nintendo has ever produced, and Melee was the defining game of my youth. It was a pretty cool little box, I thought.

6595143_retro_nes_ad.jpg

this shit is sickening
The mom isn't even looking at the screen lmao

100% this. Also the problem with the GC mostly was that it was a Nintendo console (which at that time wasn't really well perceived) and that it was launched too late. It was more powerful, cheaper, and easier to program on than the PS2 and I bet that she would've been more successful if it launched before it. (With that said, maybe if the GC hadn't flopped, we wouldn't have had the Wii, and so forth)

After playing a bit more of the N64 app I decided I wanted to grab one of the N64 controllers for Switch.

It looks like they've been out of stock since October, ugh. I'm having enough out of stock PTSD trying to get a PS5.

I don't get it, what's the issue with new the translation?
I think some localizers are upset they didn’t stick with the actual localization and added a second “traditional” translation, which is essentially as close to the word for word as possible. Lots of translators and localizers have been getting shit on for years by fringe elements that decry changes as “censorship” rather than actual localization to intent or culturally appropriate stuff. I think they see a big company towing this line as a bad thing.

Last edited:
I think some localizers are upset they didn’t stick with the actual localization and added a second “traditional” translation, which is essentially as close to the word for word as possible. Lots of translators and localizers have been getting shit on for years by fringe elements that decry changes as “censorship” rather than actual localization to intent or culturally appropriate stuff. I think they are a big company towing this line as a bad thing.
Oh, thanks for the info.

True! Like just strict standards I don't think I've ever beaten an RPG. I've gotten to the end of every Mario & Luigi game, gotten to the end of both GBA Golden Sun games, played a decent chunk of FF9, never beat any of those lol. I've beaten a bunch of A-RPGs, and a few that most people don't even know about like Radiata Stories.

Not sure why I fall off so often. I'm a decent chunk in to Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga 3DS so that'll probably be what I beat...
Radiata Stories is an absolute hidden gem, I love it. It's got some issues, like a lot of missables and an iffy combat system that only lets you play as one character, but so much of the rest of the game is fantastic: A giant, living, breathing city with like 200 characters that all have routines every day to follow around and puzzle out how to recruit them, a bold 'decision point' choice like 2/3 through the game, a really upbeat and fun soundtrack, and some really excellent and varied character art. It's one of my top games that I want to see come to the Playstation "PS2 gamepass" thing, whenever that happens

I don't actually hate coobers but I do feel that their interests, and thus their existence, are antithetical to my own

Remember when we had to use discord for a bit before this site was up?

That was overwhelming and terrifying

I like our new home

FamiBoards makes me feel strange for not having an especially strong preference for liking either Xenoblade 1 or 2 over the other, and also for not being willing to fight to the death over my preference.

I decided to finally check out that copy of Sleeping Dogs that's been sitting in my Steam library for a bajillion years and I'm liking this game a lot. I usually get burned out on these types of open world games pretty easily, but Sleeping Dogs is oddly compelling.

I think it helps that the game is actually a lot of fun. This is probably one of the more engaging implementations of the typical Arkham/Assassin's Creed type of combat systems I've played. Mechanically it has a lot of the same stuff going on, but this game actually seems to have a fun variety in effective tools that the players can utilize. Usually I just find the one thing that's obviously the easiest and also more effective way to trounce every enemy, but everything in Sleeping Dogs seems to work effectively which has me doing all kinds of things. The various light attack combos feel like they have actual different use cases and I routinely mix them up into typical combat encounters. Grabs are actually useful, and environment kills are a nice situational OHKO against whoever you actually land it on. Health regeneration also seems to encourage keeping tempo up instead of just sitting around waiting for enemies to attack so you can combo (you can do this but it doesn't seem as smart to do it in this game compared to the other games I listed earlier). And what's great is that on top of combat actually being fun, driving around feels pretty good too. My one nitpick is that momentum can feel pretty heavy sometimes, but it's a minor issue that isn't even always obvious while playing.

We'll see if the game can keep me engaged for the longterm, but these first several hours have been fun. Outside of the Yakuza series and Breath of the Wild, it's been a long time since an open world game has kept me engaged past the opening hours.

btw is there a generic "what are you playing?" thread? Not necessarily advocating for one, but just curious. I usually drop by here when I have thoughts on a game I'm playing.

Every time I hear people bitching online about "inaccurate" translations or localizations taking too many liberties or something, this ProZD skit is always what comes to mind:

when certain terms have been aggressively coded in US news media to be a pointed and racist dogwhistle since at least 2015, I don't see a fucking problem with cutting them out of a translation

good translation has cultural awareness, and extremely mild modifications to account for that are not "censorship"

I don't think that makes me a "weeb karen" by any fucking measure of anything

though maybe I’m misreading the commentary and context here? still though, c’mon

FamiBoards makes me feel strange for not having an especially strong preference for liking either Xenoblade 1 or 2 over the other, and also for not being willing to fight to the death over my preference.
Right? Why fight over which game is the second best Xenoblade game anyway.

Same. There's things that 1 does better than 2 imo, and vice versa. But in the end, I like them both about equally.

I do, however, have a pretty strong preference for Torna, if we count it as its own thing.

when certain terms have been aggressively coded in US news media to be a pointed and racist dogwhistle since at least 2015, I don't see a fucking problem with cutting them out of a translation

good translation has cultural awareness, and extremely mild modifications to account for that are not "censorship"

though maybe I’m misreading the commentary and context here? still though, c’mon
I believe in this case, "weeb Karens" are the ones complaining about "censorship".

I can only speak for myself but I read weeb karen as it was about the people who complain about the changes you mention.

I believe in this case, "weeb Karens" are the ones complaining about "censorship".
This. At least, I was taking it to mean that there are some people who get extremely wound up over changing even the tiniest little word or possible meaning and want a translation to be as literal as possible, which IMO is completely asinine. The whole point of localization is to make a translation read better, flow better, sound more natural, and take cultural differences into account for a different language/country's audience.

Extremely literal translations often sound stilted and unnatural without taking that stuff into account.

The only translations that I get mad about (and this is not actually mad but more of a “we know what this really is”) is Ace Attorney being set in LA. Like, we don’t need to have Japanese food changed into burgers because we are insular dolts (many are mind you). It looks really out of place seeing small Japanese monasteries and towns in this games being passed off as some American locale. Anyhow, I’m all about creative localization if it makes games better.

This. At least, I was taking it to mean that there are some people who get extremely wound up over changing even the tiniest little word or possible meaning and want a translation to be as literal as possible, which IMO is completely asinine. The whole point of localization is to make a translation read better, flow better, sound more natural, and take cultural differences into account for a different language/country's audience.

Extremely literal translations often sound stilted and unnatural without taking that stuff into account.
I agree with what you said, but it also made me think of funny localisiation changes. Like Brock making "donuts", and the "hamburgers" in Ace Attorney. Bonus points when you can see right there that there is actually different food on screen.

Always makes me chuckle.

The only translations that I get mad about (and this is not actually mad but more of a “we know what this really is”) is Ace Attorney being set in LA. Like, we don’t need to have Japanese food changed into burgers because we are insular dolts (many are mind you). It looks really out of place seeing small Japanese monasteries and towns in this games being passed off as some American locale. Anyhow, I’m all about creative localiStation if it makes games better.
Oh, for sure. That particular extreme type of localization is kind of a relic of an older time now, though, and I haven't seen anything that bad in a long long time. I think we're pretty much past that these days, for the most part.
I agree with what you said, but it also made me think of funny localisiation changes. Like Brock making "donuts", and the "hamburgers" in Ace Attorney. Bonus points when you can see right there that there is actually different food on screen.

Always makes me chuckle.
Yeah I agree that's going too far and is just treating your audience like idiots. I can see why they did that back in the day, but like I said thankfully I think that's not really done anymore.

I like how it took a week, but finally, every announcement from the Direct was seen as the biggest announcement of the Direct for at least one person on Fami.

And you know, it really was heartening to see the reception Live A Live got here. It's been competitive with huge Mario game announcements, that's unbelievable to me. Fami has taste actually.

MpDUhJP.jpg

i’m Phoebe Judge, and this is criminal

Radiata Stories is an absolute hidden gem, I love it. It's got some issues, like a lot of missables and an iffy combat system that only lets you play as one character, but so much of the rest of the game is fantastic: A giant, living, breathing city with like 200 characters that all have routines every day to follow around and puzzle out how to recruit them, a bold 'decision point' choice like 2/3 through the game, a really upbeat and fun soundtrack, and some really excellent and varied character art. It's one of my top games that I want to see come to the Playstation "PS2 gamepass" thing, whenever that happens
YUP. All of that is what made Radiata Stories incredible. I mean I was playing it in like 2005 or 2006 so it felt completely new. Now we take things like that for granted but back then it was wild to me.

I got it at a target from the bargain bin for like $10 or something.. absolute steal. Shame no one played it and that to play it now is a minefield of either emulation or finding a used copy.

YUP. All of that is what made Radiata Stories incredible. I mean I was playing it in like 2005 or 2006 so it felt completely new. Now we take things like that for granted but back then it was wild to me.

I got it at a target from the bargain bin for like $10 or something.. absolute steal. Shame no one played it and that to play it now is a minefield of either emulation or finding a used copy.
I still have it for PS2, but the disc is a little suspect and my PS2 is kind of dying, so mostly I just want them to do to it what they did for the "PS2 on PS4" games like Dark Cloud 2 and such.

I see Jeff Grubb dropped a new Nintendo focused podcast today, anyone listened to it and seen if he drops any good nuggets?

does anyone know if Umineko is ever going to come out (on Switch) in regions other than Japan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom