• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST5 Feb. 2022| Xenodelayed Chronicles 3

Which was your favourite announcement from the Direct?

• Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League

Votes: 68 14.7%
  • Nintendo Switch Sports

Votes: 33 7.1%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 191 41.3%
  • Splatoon 3 - Salmon Run Next Wave

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Booster Course Pass

Votes: 54 11.7%
  • EarthBound + EarthBound Beginnings on NSO

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Disney Speedstorm

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • SD Gundam Battle Alliance

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Front Mission 1st + 2 remakes

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Live A Live

Votes: 50 10.8%
  • No Man's Sky

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Klonoa: Phantasy Reverie Series

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Portal: Companion Collection

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Star Wars: Force Unleashed

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pokemon Company could only get one movie while Sonic is getting a whole franchise. Amazing. I hope Jim Carrey sticks around for the third movie and they bring in Shadow and the Death Egg.

Reads the premiss of the Nickelodeon Transformers show

Oh come the fuck on

I just want to see cool shit happen on Cybertron. Is that too much to ask? And I don’t mean that D-Tier stuff from Netflix.

I ended up returning my Blue Switch Lite and swapped it for a regular Switch. I love love love the colour but it's just too small, some games really weren't made for such a small screen. Enjoying my V2 Switch, the battery life is pretty good.

I also double checked with the store and both the console and Joy-Cons have a 3 year warranty, so if it drifts I'm good until 2025.

Changing my vote to Force Unleashed as I feel sorry for it languishing at the bottom of the poll with 0 votes. It's up for preorder on the eShop and is reasonably priced - and I remember it being good fun back in the day.

Changing my vote to Force Unleashed as I feel sorry for it languishing at the bottom of the poll with 0 votes. It's up for preorder on the eShop and is reasonably priced - and I remember it being good fun back in the day.
Are you aware that it's a port of the Wii game and not the PS360 one?

(not that this should impact your enjoyment, I think it's a cool novelty)

Nickelodeon has Transformers now?

Hmmm
Was inevitable. Paramount owns Nick and has had a relationship with Hasbro on Transformers for 15+ years now.

New show looks good, too.

Couldn't care less about more Sonic, though. I still don't understand how people liked that first one.

Reads the premiss of the Nickelodeon Transformers show

Oh come the fuck on

I just want to see cool shit happen on Cybertron. Is that too much to ask? And I don’t mean that D-Tier stuff from Netflix.
Lucky for you, there's an animated theatrical movie set on Cybertron from the Director of Toy Story 4 coming out on July 19th, 2024 ;)

Can’t believe Sonic is getting two sequels. That movie was absolute garbo on every level.
true-its-true.gif

they got a lot of good faith from the audience because of the design change; But hey.. I'm at least pleased to see the games being actually adapted from now on...

Sonic has a trilogy of movies and a Knuckles spinoff, meanwhile I'm hoping the Mario movie isn't a total bore. What has this world come to?

Sonic fans deserve a W, but I digress.

I really do wish Nintendo picked anyone but Illumination. There isn't a single Illumination movie I enjoy. They're all so bland.
Well, at least characters won't be redesigned (or I hope so;.. considering Super Nintendo World using the games as references) and it's fully animated;

But I agree with you on Illumination track record.. I can't find myself enjoying a single movie they put out (on script or visual level); -- But if anything, box office will blow up, and probably beat Sonic and Pikachu, I suppose, that's all that matters in the end, no?

I'm an SNES (and later N64) kid, but sometimes I feel like a Wii kid as that system was like a second childhood for me.

The Wii was my primary console when I lived in a University dorm in my early 20s (which was the first time I'd lived away from the family home) and it was the first time I owned a current console while having the freedom to buy what I wanted for it with my own money.

From long nights playing Mario Kart Wii or Wii Sports Resort with mates and drinks, to epic solo adventures like Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Xenoblade, and Metroid Prime 3, to the thrills and co-op camaraderie of hundreds of hours in Monster Hunter Tri, to niche gems like Sin & Punishment Star Successor and Fatal Frame, it brought me years of amazing experiences and rekindled my passion for gaming which had started to wane during my last years of high school when I'd been in a bit of a dark place.

While my childhood belongs to the likes of Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country, Banjo Kazooie and Ocarina of Time, the Wii was the system that welcomed me into my adult years, hugged me and said "it's okay; things will get better."

I'd like to make Detective Pikachu the last ever live-action video game adaptation I have to see in my life.

edit: apparently Eli Roth is directing a Borderlands movie based on a script by the writer of Scary Movie 3 and 4 and Hangover 2 and 3 so I guess god really is dead after all

I got a survey from Nintendo today about the NSO expansion pack. Seems by the wording they're only sending it to a select few. One of the questions was asking for ideas to increase the value and I asked for more games and systems to be increased.

I really do wish Nintendo picked anyone but Illumination. There isn't a single Illumination movie I enjoy. They're all so bland.

Well, at least characters won't be redesigned (or I hope so;.. considering Super Nintendo World using the games as references) and it's fully animated;

But I agree with you on Illumination track record.. I can't find myself enjoying a single movie they put out (on script or visual level); -- But if anything, box office will blow up, and probably beat Sonic and Pikachu, I suppose, that's all that matters in the end, no?
You are both correct and it hurts - though I don't know if the film will outgross Sonic for sure.

I was pleasantly surprised when I watched their version of the Grinch this past Christmas. I actually liked it a lot, certainly more than the Jim Carrey movie.

Hard say with no trailers.

But Illumination films do pretty well. And they are pretty good at marketing them so it wouldn’t surprise me.
yeah, probably;
And considering how cheaply made Illumination movies are, the target for something very lucrative won't super big anyway
It depends on where we set the bar.

If we are talking the domestic box office (the land of Uncle Sam), the bar would be Sonic at $146M domestic. Pretty achievable looking at how Sing 2. Sonic just barely squeaked past $300M in WW numbers, which Sing 2 beat last December. Mario would be in the same release window. It would also run as family counterprogramming to a huge four-quadrant December blockbuster (Spider-Man No Way Home -> Avatar 2)

Detective Pikachu's domestic total was $144M, pretty much the same as above. But worldwide box office over $400M would be tough for Mario to surpass in the COVID box office. No family/kids movie released after January 2020 has come within smelling distance of that.

Last edited:
honestly I'm still scarred by Detective Pikachu not doing well enough to have two sequels by now :(
I was so down on that film as soon I saw the director.

And I’m not a fan of Ryan Reynolds at all. People really liked him and I found him to be terribly miscasted.

All and all. The film was just mediocre. Not bad. But not good. Lots of miss potential.

And I’m not a fan of Ryan Reynolds at all. People really liked him and I found him to be terribly miscasted.

All and all. The film was just mediocre. Not bad. But not good. Lots of miss potential.
I knew the moment they picked Ryan Reynolds over Frank Reynolds that it was gonna fail

I feel in the only one that enjoyed Detective Pikachu lol I really liked the world and look of it, and it was sweet.

As an aside, does Amazon no longer do Switch pre orders? All those games announced in the direct have gone up for pre order everywhere but Amazon.

I don't even know how they would do another Detective Pikachu movie. It had a pretty definitive ending and it seemed like it was always intended to be a one off. Now if it made billions and billions and billions of dollars, then of course they would have rushed to make a sequel. But I don't know. I felt satisfied at the end.

It was a sweet movie, pretty forgettable, but the kind of stuff you just watch on the plane and feel satisfied with it. Tbh video games movies are usually so lame that this one was a breath of fresh air in comparison

Honestly? If the Mario movie is batshit crazy, at least it would be an interesting bad. I'm expecting safe and kinda bland - the Illumination Special.

The cast they got for it makes me think they aren't going safe. Although Illumination movies are milquetoast crap so who knows.

The cast they got for it makes me think they aren't going safe. Although Illumination movies are milquetoast crap so who knows.
I want to say positive things about Charlie Day Luigi and Jack Black Bowser, but then I think about Chris Pratt Mario and I get send into a mad rage, so I guess it balances it out.

I was expecting something batshit crazy from the Mario movie but Chip n Dale has raised the bar that I'm now not so sure.
It's horrifying and I swear the trailer made me feel genuinely upset with how cynical it felt. It's like they wanted to do a Roger Rabbit movie without understanding anything about what made Roger Rabbit good.

I liked the World of Warcraft movie.

I hope that once Microsoft gets Blizzard's shit together they can do more with their IP. Overwatch is perfect for multimedia projects.

game is on switch thus i decided to post here
i love the movie in the 90s

It's horrifying and I swear the trailer made me feel genuinely upset with how cynical it felt. It's like they wanted to do a Roger Rabbit movie without understanding anything about what made Roger Rabbit good.

I hate all the forced crossover crap in movies now like Wreck It Ralph 2 and Space Jam 2. Rolling my eyes at it in Chip n Dale, but at least some of it is fun in the trailer like Roger Rabbit or Scrooge cameos.

Yeah idk about this one, it's certainly nothing like the cartoon it's based on. Seems like a more all-ages stoner comedy. That said I'm watching this just because of sheer curiosity of the WTF nature of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom