• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST33 June 2024| Bash at the Beach feat. chocolate_supra

• Thread starter Deleted member 1081
  • Start date
I need a new SF, at least a retool of zero or a port of Assault please?! Tho Zero’s Star Wolf theme was dang amazing

It’s been 8 years DX

oh I dont even care about the 4K or 60fps or high level of detail or whatever. Its whatever sharpening filter they use plus the blurriness that prevents me from being able to play them for long periods of time
That's understandable, yeah. It's a bit disappointing to me how the weather effects that should be absolutely gorgeous often end up turning the game into a crunchy 540p mess that the upscaling/sharpening can't really fix. And XB3 was especially weird because the native resolution was so low that the cel-style outlines would often lose whole sections and the upscaler wouldn't fill them back in so you'd get repeating sections of missing outlines like this:

HzyvjCc.jpeg

The games deserve so much better.

That's understandable, yeah. It's a bit disappointing to me how the weather effects that should be absolutely gorgeous often end up turning the game into a crunchy 540p mess that the upscaling/sharpening can't really fix. And XB3 was especially weird because the native resolution was so low that the cel-style outlines would often lose whole sections and the upscaler wouldn't fill them back in so you'd get repeating sections of missing outlines like this:

HzyvjCc.jpeg

That is barely better than 3DS era rendering in Pokemon games 😬

That is barely better than 3DS era rendering in Pokemon games 😬
What sucks is the vistas are absolutely incredible, and in the close-up shots in cutscenes and such the characters have so much detail rendered in (like brush stroke effects and some 90s anime style shading gradients and such) that the game overall looks gorgeous. Like seriously gorgeous. But every once in a while a character or two will be in the in-between spot where they lose just enough detail that the upscaler doesn't know what do do with it.

HzyvjCc.jpeg

Yeah, I’ve noticed this, too — and I don’t remember the effect being nearly as bad (or prominent?!) in either XCDE or XC2. Or was it? (If I had to guess it’s due to upscaling in 3 vs sharpening in 1 & 2?!)

Eh people calling Star Fox Zero a 64 again/remake kinda underselling it, it’s to 64 what 64 is to SNES, while bringing back stuff from Snes and 2.

Yeah, I’ve noticed this, too — and I don’t remember the effect being nearly as bad (or prominent?!) in either XCDE or XC2. Or was it? (If I had to guess it’s due to upscaling in 3 vs sharpening in 1 & 2?!)
1 & 2 were both upscaled iirc, but I think the difference is that the outlines were a lot more prominent in 3. If you pull up screenshots from 1 and 2 you'll see what faint outlines are there are mostly just a slightly darker tone of the color they're surrounding, so they sorta fade into the character model when the camera is far enough away to break them up. But in XB3 some characters have stark, black outlines that are so visible that the goofs are really obvious. Anything that isn't outlined in 3 looks great with the upscaler, it's just some of the characters that have really prominent outlines have that specific issue, like the Noah shot I posted above.

Hopefully the fact that DLSS uses motion vectors and other things to fill in the blanks (rather than just sharpening and blowing up the image) will help solve issues like this next gen. Of course if 2witch is at a power level where the pre-upscale resolution is higher than 540p (which looks likely) I'd bet this will cease to be an issue either way.

I am parked in a parking lot, having lunch before a movie

A BMW parked four wholeass spaces away from me just opened their door

And I could smell their air freshener

If I can smell your car fragrance from four spaces away, you have too much car fragrance

imo of course

Finally get home from visiting family this weekend and it’s a pleasant 68 and I’m feeling like I may need to swap shorts back out for pants to run some post-dinner errands.

By middle of the week it’s going to be highs in the 95-99 degree range. Help 🥵🫠

The costume and environment designers for TOTK really went all out. That's why I wouldn't mind an Imprisoning War game whether it's DLC, a new game, Hyrule Warriors, some other spinoff, etc. I'd just love exploring a full game that is all ancient Zonai design.

I am parked in a parking lot, having lunch before a movie

A BMW parked four wholeass spaces away from me just opened their door

And I could smell their air freshener

If I can smell your car fragrance from four spaces away, you have too much car fragrance

imo of course
fiLc8T.gif

You just told me that your location don't have feral cat or crow problem with just a photo. Cute, though.
It’s in the middle of a city, near apartments and condos. Lots of rabbits hang out nearby and are almost half-tame. The only thing they have to worry about is if they go too far out into fields or whatnot there are prowling hawks. (Or getting chased by pet dogs)

“YOUNG MAN. I am detecting a strong demonic presence arriving in the next few hours. I advise caution before engaging. I believe it is called… Monday.”

(I’m going to have Aogami saying “Young Man” about everything playing in my head all week I can already tell. SMTV:V rules btw)

Hot take but the original Starfox is a great game.

I can completely understand folks being put off by its primitive graphics and low framerate, but for me its killer soundtrack, awesome boss fights, and epic space opera stylings make it a classic.
Even the mix of basic flat shaded polygons with 16-bit sprites has a charm to it, as you kinda have to use your imagination to fill in the details.

It was also a stunning technical achievement in its day, almost like a mini generational leap in itself; you sorta had to be there but to suddenly have a fully 3D game on your 16-bit console felt like playing a game from the future.

It's truly a shame its been so overshadowed and forgotten, cos to me it'll always be something rather special.

maxresdefault.jpg

Hi everyone,
to easy the unbrearable wait for the phantom June Nintendo Direct, we are arranging another GIVEWAY!

This time we are gifting the winner with e SWITCH (EU) eSHOP code of ASTOR - Blade of the Monolith, a new action adventure game just released on the Switch digital store

Join us is very simple: just leave a message HERE within next Sunday, June 23th!

Hot take but the original Starfox is a great game.

I can completely understand folks being put off by its primitive graphics and low framerate, but for me its killer soundtrack, awesome boss fights, and epic space opera stylings make it a classic.
Even the mix of basic flat shaded polygons with 16-bit sprites has a charm to it, as you kinda have to use your imagination to fill in the details.

It was also a stunning technical achievement in its day, almost like a mini generational leap in itself; you sorta had to be there but to suddenly have a fully 3D game on your 16-bit console felt like playing a game from the future.

It's truly a shame its been so overshadowed and forgotten, cos to me it'll always be something rather special.

maxresdefault.jpg
Oh it’s a wild tech piece and still quite enjoyable. 2 managed to outshine it by a good margin tho and would’ve been a cult classic on snes

Back
Top Bottom