• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST32 May 2024| Endless Ocean Season!, Paper Mario Season!

Which Season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We just hit 8.000 threads y’all.

Man, to think that Fami has such an influence on the games market.
Furukawa waiting with the Switch 2 full reveal until Fami has it's problems sorted, SQEX finally shifting to a full multiplatform strategy after Fami hit 8k threads.

Famiboards - We make magic happen

But what if I hate puzzle games

No seriously, it looks like an interesting and refreshingly original Metroidvania but is it even worth bothering with if the cryptic La-Mulana/Fez/Tunic/Environmental Station Alpha shit everyone's enamored with it for is a massive turn-off for me?
I did not love Fez at all and I was annoyed by Tunic towards the end. This is great! Also, it is more straightforward if you want it to be. I’m not touching the weird opaque puzzle shit.

I've started to dislike Spotify but don't know if any alternative is better for me, anyone use music players besides the big subscriptions and could share their experience?
Let me tell you about the Sony Walkman.

I've started to dislike Spotify but don't know if any alternative is better for me, anyone use music players besides the big subscriptions and could share their experience?
I switched from using Spotify to Musicolet on Android and Foobar on Windows a while back, but both are straightforward offline music players so I'm not sure it's comparable. I just got fed up with the thing and went back to old school. No ads, no streaming, no accounts. Vastly less glitchy. Musicolet does pretty much everything I could want except folders for playlists, Foobar is a little more barebones and archaic but my computer is worse for playing music so I don't need it to be anything fancy. I'm sure you could transform it with plugins though.

Last edited:
attention all secret-hunters, disaffected completionists, and people who want to find @Raccoon in the upcoming Grögol Bonanza demo...

the Sonic Atheneum is a great place to seek out if you want to see several NPCs out of context, hear a whole bunch of draft music, and open a fridge don't open the fridge don't open the fridge don't open the

I used to think the grand canyon was impressive that is until I witnessed the gap between 89MC and 90MC

I just now found out the new Doctor Who is the same guy who got famous for this:

0307a1797ddc21230a88fda942a60f95-0.jpg

and I think my brain is collapsing in on itself now

I did not love Fez at all and I was annoyed by Tunic towards the end. This is great! Also, it is more straightforward if you want it to be. I’m not touching the weird opaque puzzle shit.
Nice. I'm hearing some promising things about it as a game played from a more straightforward perspective, comparisons to movement/sequence break heavy games like Super Metroid, but the vast majority of people focusing on the puzzle element had me leery.

I honestly like the "layers of game" idea in theory, it's kind of similar to what DKC2 did with its secrets, and I enjoyed that one Banjo-Kazooie romhack where they took the Forest Temple from Ocarina of Time and made you translate a language to solve puzzles. But games like this always seem to fall into being designed like a puzzle game, and so cryptic that they require a community effort to solve.

When puzzles require you to take guesses until you land on the solution, I get no satisfaction from it whether I'm right on the first try or the 20th. But whenever I play puzzle games, they always devolve into this because they never teach you how everything works and leave it to you to apply that knowledge, it's always up to you to fill in the gaps by thinking of things that might be the solution and see if it works. And these games take that concept to its extreme. Everyone designs puzzles like riddles when I think they should be more like jokes. The satisfaction comes from understanding it, and if done well you won't even realize you've been primed to do so with prior knowledge (the set-up). But aside from Zelda (and even then not really anymore) I don't really see games do it like this.

Weeb Fami, is Star Ocean 2 going to continually have annoying difficulty spikes?

I've just done the first boss for Ashton's side quest on the mountain. First attempted it with a mid 20s party and kept getting wiped. Levelled everyone up to level 30, improved skills and stats, and still only got through the battle by burning through revival items. Even then, one party member didn't make it.

Because as much as I like the interlocking systems and visuals, I really don't like the idea of more grindy bosses like that. Is this a common thing in the game?

I switched from using Spotify to Musicolet on Android and Foobar on Windows a while back, but both are straightforward offline music players so I'm not sure it's comparable. I just got fed up with the thing and went back to old school. No ads, no streaming, no accounts. Vastly less glitchy. Musicolet does pretty much everything I could want except folders for playlists, Foobar is a little more barebones and archaic but my computer is worse for playing music so I don't need it to be anything fancy. I'm sure you could transform it with plugins though.
Thanks! I looked at Musicolet, only thing I don't like is no option for pictures in the artist tab, otherwiss it seems good.

My plan would be to just go back to listen to music I own and use Youtube when I want to discover new music. Or even Spotify Free. My guess would be that I will come back to Spotify one day anyway but it feels pretty dumb paying 11€ every month right now, even though I use it everyday.

y’know for as much as we slate nintendo, no other console ever has had a first party developed/published game/dlc almost every single month, most of which sell 1million+. this is why they’re the best gaming company.

When puzzles require you to take guesses until you land on the solution, I get no satisfaction from it whether I'm right on the first try or the 20th. But whenever I play puzzle games, they always devolve into this because they never teach you how everything works and leave it to you to apply that knowledge, it's always up to you to fill in the gaps by thinking of things that might be the solution and see if it works. And these games take that concept to its extreme. Everyone designs puzzles like riddles when I think they should be more like jokes. The satisfaction comes from understanding it, and if done well you won't even realize you've been primed to do so with prior knowledge (the set-up). But aside from Zelda (and even then not really anymore) I don't really see games do it like this.
I definitely feel you on this. I was really frustrated when Tunic introduced a number of concepts that were basically asking me to take educated guesses to figure them out, and I never even touch Fez beyond the first hour because it sounded like homework (and because Phil Fish kinda sucks).

I think Animal Well strikes a better balance. They don't tell you a lot directly but discovering the world itself feels very intuitive. If I was going to stick around for the ARG-adjacent puzzles...yeah...that would probably be kind of frustrating, but I'm not and the game doesn't really throw that stuff in your face nearly as much as Tunic or (I presume) Fez.

man I don't wanna bring up politics much cause it derails things but....man people are so fucking stupid some times

GNd8qFLXMAAiFcH
Huh.

That’s all I have to say. Huh.

Well not really; I know some folks have reservations on Biden (Personally, I think his age will be a burden too), but reading up on this shit; I mean, what the hell. Biden did a good thing and still you want to give a vote to that horrible person?

I just don’t get it. I really don’t.

Alright famifriends (who own a PC)- I just put up a new standalone demo-type thing for Monsters of Mican, this time it's just the Monster Arena. However, you'll be able to initiate monster vs monster fights using any of the 200+ monster types you want, picking from a dropdown list. I actually didn't even put a limit on combatants, so you can try for (successfully? who knows) hundreds in one fight.

But the appeel of this kind of thing (pun intended as you'll see) is that most of my monsters are ridiculous, have ridiculous animations and make ridiculous sounds, so watching them duke it out can be quite entertaining. Here's a banana fight as a taste-

Anyway if any of you want to try it out I'd absolutely love to hear impressions, or better yet see impressions/clips!

The link is here https://skittzo.itch.io/monsters-of-mican-monster-arena, password is
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Huh.

That’s all I have to say. Huh.

Well not really; I know some folks have reservations on Biden (Personally, I think his age will be a burden too), but reading up on this shit; I mean, what the hell. Biden did a good thing and still you want to give a vote to that horrible person?

I just don’t get it. I really don’t.
I'm in a place where I often see Trump stickers, Trump hats, Trump flags, one person literally has a wall-sized banner print of a Trump painting hanging along the exterior of his house. They used to fly American flags to show patriotism (which is a whole other conversation) but now instead of their nation's flag they fly the flag of Trump. Trump means patriotism to them, Trump is their nation. It's a fucking cult, plain and simple.

Not to mention the clothing and the bumper stickers I see around that have insignia of the various armed militia groups that did January 6 and have since been travelling to cities and terrorizing locals.

People vote against their best interests all the time.
Especially when the concrete trucks get slowed down.
I had some really depressing conversations while I was at work about things like wage increases and universal healthcare. Middle class people arguing that they don't want those things, even though they themselves would benefit from it, because it'd close the gap between them and the people financially below them, effectively wiping out decades of hard work on their part (in their eyes). Just a complete lack of situational awareness.

Hell, now they've turned a phrase that essentially means having awareness into a fucking insult and a thing to be avoided and fought against. Absolutely ridiculous shit.

Last edited:
Alright famifriends (who own a PC)- I just put up a new standalone demo-type thing for Monsters of Mican, this time it's just the Monster Arena. However, you'll be able to initiate monster vs monster fights using any of the 200+ monster types you want, picking from a dropdown list. I actually didn't even put a limit on combatants, so you can try for (successfully? who knows) hundreds in one fight.

But the appeel of this kind of thing (pun intended as you'll see) is that most of my monsters are ridiculous, have ridiculous animations and make ridiculous sounds, so watching them duke it out can be quite entertaining. Here's a banana fight as a taste-

Anyway if any of you want to try it out I'd absolutely love to hear impressions, or better yet see impressions/clips!

The link is here https://skittzo.itch.io/monsters-of-mican-monster-arena, password is * Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

I just made a flying shark literally bite the hull of a sentient battleship.

Poetry. 🤣

I'm in a place where I often see Trump stickers, Trump hats, Trump flags, one person literally has a wall-sized banner print of a Trump painting hanging along the exterior of his house. They used to fly American flags to show patriotism (which is a whole other conversation) but now instead of their nation's flag they fly the flag of Trump. Trump means patriotism to them, Trump is their nation. It's a fucking cult, plain and simple.

Not to mention the clothing and the bumper stickers I see around that have insignia of the various armed militia groups that did January 6 and have since been travelling to cities and terrorizing locals.

I had some really depressing conversations while I was at work about things like wage increases and universal healthcare. Middle class people arguing that they don't want those things, even though they themselves would benefit from it, because it'd close the gap between them and the people financially below them, effectively wiping out decades of hard work on their part (in their eyes). Just a complete lack of situational awareness.

Hell, now they've turned a phrase that essentially means having awareness into a fucking insult and a thing to be avoided and fought against. Absolutely ridiculous shit.
I always think of the signs in my neighborhood about "choosing" my healthcare. Like, unless you're making so much money you don't know what to do with it, you're probably on your employer's plan, and you probably don't choose who your employer uses for healthcare. There's a pretty small group of people who actually have a choice and they aren't the people who live on my street.

I finished the Legend of Heroes Crossbell duology. Don’t listen to anyone who tells you you can skip Trails in the Sky and jump to these ones.

I’m now playing the Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails before moving on to Cold Steel, both because it’s a bit of a palette cleanser and it’s technically the 6th Trails game. It’s pretty good so far! I’ll probably be done with it tomorrow or Wednesday though lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom