• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST32 May 2024| Endless Ocean Season!, Paper Mario Season!

Which Season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The aurora borealis? Centralized here in my living area?

I wouldn't know. I was trapped inside watching my students put on a complete three hour version of Shrek: The Musical. Maybe next time!

and you thought the days of smash crossover reveals were over...

1QGqtDF.png
I've always wondered how you're supposed to read these things. Cross? And? With? Ecks? Times?

I think it broke me when I heard someone say that the one in Hunter x Hunter was silent. At that point, what is anything anymore? We're in Kingdom Hearts territory, and I should just give up. I don't know why I'm despairing over this.

I've always wondered how you're supposed to read these things. Cross? And? With? Ecks? Times?

I think it broke me when I heard someone say that the one in Hunter x Hunter was silent. At that point, what is anything anymore? We're in Kingdom Hearts territory, and I should just give up. I don't know why I'm despairing over this.
I just googled this. I always thought the x was supposed to be read as “cross” and read stuff like Hunter x Hunter and Spy X Family accordingly. Saw more people say you aren’t supposed to read the cross today even if some things like Street Fighter X Tekken you are supposed to so I don’t know what to believe 🙃.

Suswave Nature Alert:

go try to see the aurora you cowards
I drove out into the countryside to get away from the light pollution and the sky was simply inky black with some lovely stars. Alas, I seem to be too far south. But I sat for a while and watched the stars and satellites while listening to the frogs sing so it was still a great idea.

Last edited:
I just googled this. I always thought the x was supposed to be read as “cross” and read stuff like Hunter x Hunter and Spy X Family accordingly. Saw more people say you aren’t supposed to read the cross today even if some things like Street Fighter X Tekken you are supposed to so I don’t know what to believe 🙃.
Hunter X Hunter you don't say it because the X is just a space between words in hunter language.

Oh that’s neat! I haven’t read or seen Hunter X Hunter so didn’t know there was lore there.
If you decide to watch the anime they'll teach you a word either in the eye catchers or at the end of the episode (can't remember) every episode early on! lol

This is where I cheat and see what the Japanese say. Because syllabaries are far more literal than alphabets.

Street Fighter X Tekken (ストリートファイター X 鉄拳 Sutorīto Faitā kurosu Tekken?, lit. Street Fighter cross Iron Fist)

Xenoblade Chronicles X, known in Japan as XenobladeX (Japanese: ゼノブレイドクロス, Zenobureido Kurosu, literally Xenoblade Cross)

two points for X = Cross

SPY x FAMILY (スパイファミリー, Supai Famirī?)

Hunter × Hunter (ハンター×ハンター, Hantā Hantā)

and two points for X = fucking silent

. . . what the hell

I just thought of if they ever bring back Xenoblade X we’ll be hearing “The Xenoblade Chronicles X Definitive Edition Game” in advertising… :/

Exactly! Good strategy, but then stuff like Xenoblade X happens where it is read as X here instead of Cross 🫠
yeah but I personally find it easy to chalk that kind of thing up to america=wrong

I also chalk a lot of other things up to that but they aren't relevant to gaming naming

I just thought of if they ever bring back Xenoblade X we’ll be hearing “The Xenoblade Chronicles X Definitive Edition Game” in advertising… :/
they shoulda never tacked "chronicles" onto that series, I swear

when it's a "this a crossover" thing like those "Smash x [Series]" graphics, I read it as "cross", and when it's just part of a title like Xenoblade X, I read it as "ecks"

This is probably wrong, but I've decided I'm fine with that because how often am I actually saying any of these out loud?

Now I get why the X in Hunter x Hunter is silent, because the main character in that manga is a Hunter looking for his dad, who's also a Hunter. Hence a Hunter Hunter.

Spy x Family makes more sense with the x pronounced though. A spy having to form a family. But hey English can be confusing! Understandable that people get confused how letters are supposed to sound like!

Playing Little Kitty Big City. I found an NES controller and a GameCube. Plus an arcade cabinet playing Street Fighter 2 and a DDR machine.

This is where I cheat and see what the Japanese say. Because syllabaries are far more literal than alphabets.

Street Fighter X Tekken (ストリートファイター X 鉄拳 Sutorīto Faitā kurosu Tekken?, lit. Street Fighter cross Iron Fist)

Xenoblade Chronicles X, known in Japan as XenobladeX (Japanese: ゼノブレイドクロス, Zenobureido Kurosu, literally Xenoblade Cross)

two points for X = Cross

. . . what the hell
Now I get why the X in Hunter x Hunter is silent, because the main character in that manga is a Hunter looking for his dad, who's also a Hunter. Hence a Hunter Hunter.

Spy x Family makes more sense with the x pronounced though. A spy having to form a family. But hey English can be confusing! Understandable that people get confused how letters are supposed to sound like!
Worth pointing out that technically the character in Hunter × Hunter isn't an X - it's literally a cross:

This is a lower case X: x
This is a cross: ×

So it checks out that you wouldn't pronounce it.

Minor vent post. I wanna get Animal Well. I have an OLED Switch and figure the game would look great on it, so I go into eShop and select buy. It's $24.01 after tax. I have $22.40 with rewards points added on. My credit card was hacked 3 days ago and the replacement doesnt arrive for like another week. I see there's an option for PayPal, so my friend offers to send me $2 to cover it. Awesome! But it turns out, YOU CAN'T USE PAYPAL BALANCE TO BUY ESHOP GAMES. You can only use linked credit cards for PayPal purchases!

w h y

What's the POINT???? THERE'S ALREADY A CREDIT CARD PAYMENT OPTION. WHY EVEN INCLUDE THE PAYPAL VERSION IF THEY'RE BOTH CREDIT CARD PAYMENT OPTIONS????

Vent over. Now I am sad and go to bed. Bye bye.

Silly thing for my part in the discussion tonight, I had this trailer sitting in an open tab unwatched for like two weeks and they say the name Hunter x Hunter at the end with no x said lol.

Silly thing for my part in the discussion tonight, I had this trailer sitting in an open tab unwatched for like two weeks and they say the name Hunter x Hunter at the end with no x said lol.
I guess the trailer had Nein Impact on you huh?

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all night

(Not really I have a giant crab to take down)

May 9th will surely go down in indie game history.

EDIT: Little Kitty, Big City also released that day.

EDIT 2: AND Crow Country!

Last edited:
What a fucking week right?

Okay, so, I did go outside after all... and I think I witnessed something? Nothing like I'd imagine but something was kinda off about the sky?
It was incredibly muted here too. Then I read one of the AP articles on the event which suggested trying to take a photo with my phone. And wouldn’t you know it… it worked. Got some nice green and magenta night sky photos last night at my parent’s place.

I didn't see shit, didn't even know there was something going on 😭😭😭

That's how busy I've been, work, sleep, balatro, famiboards dumbposting, that's IT

434993020_843151884511804_7508368218769491236_n.jpg

Cool, on track for the alien invasion in July!
look, as someone who has been party to all of these events so far and driven around Southern Ontario to find the perfect spot for each...

maybe! we saw a fucking ufo last night while meandering north for the lights!

Okay, so, I did go outside after all... and I think I witnessed something? Nothing like I'd imagine but something was kinda off about the sky?
that's magnetic storm baybeeeee

further out it appears almost like faint cloud striations. get to a dark enough place and stare... and you'll realize that they look like an unknowable wind blowing fine sand across a plain, and the light is sometimes moving

look closer... there are colors???

pull out your phone if you can't tell... try to take a picture... and you should see a glowing confirmation of your senses — the aurora

I didn't see shit, didn't even know there was something going on 😭😭😭

That's how busy I've been, work, sleep, balatro, famiboards dumbposting, that's IT
there's still time! the height was last night but it's alllll weekend

The aurora borealis? Centralized here in my living area?

I wouldn't know. I was trapped inside watching my students put on a complete three hour version of Shrek: The Musical. Maybe next time!
it's an all-weekend thing. the night doesn't end at shrek. never has. pursue. pursue. pursue.

Hmmm need to figure out a bulk chicken breast recipe for Monday. Well for now time to gammmmeeee
I made a really good bulk lasagna-esque enchilada recipe a while back with shredded chicken breast. Basically alternate layers of tortillas, shredded chicken, cheese, enchilada sauce, and sauteed veggies/tomatoes/salsa

it's an all-weekend thing. the night doesn't end at shrek. never has. pursue. pursue. pursue.
My night did in fact end at Shrek but I will take a look tonight. My wife got a picture with her phone that shows it pretty well, if nothing else!

May 9th will surely go down in indie game history.

EDIT: Little Kitty, Big City also released that day.

EDIT 2: AND Crow Country!
Animal Well was barely on my radar, and I had literally never even heard of 1000XResist until it launched - and now I really want to play both. And we're getting Until Then and Lorelei and the Laser Eyes soon, too? Amazing month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom